Old Style Pilsner - Molson Coors Canada

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 116 | Reviews: 46
Reviews by sAws:
3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

As for Canadian macro-brews this is one of the best.

Appearance is translucent golden yellow with a straw/yeast smell. Tastes good and clean with slight aftertaste. Not sure I would truly call it a pilsner rather than just a Canadian/American lager.

2.77/5  rDev -1.4%

well, this beer is the main advertised beer on billboards in the province i live in, they sponsor our football team... i've been pissed so many times off this beer when i was younger that i had the review it once i 'matured' a little...

A: i will be blunt, it's piss yellow with a wack of fizz and a thin white head.

S: its not offensive, but there's nothing there to characterize it as being special or distinct.

T: average at best. it's a bit grainy with some hop taste, not much there offensive, nothing worth noting though, so it's average.

M: watery and thin, it's best nearly frozen, which is good because it's usually shoved in a snowbank in the wintertime to cool.

D: good when you 'need' a beer, that being, at football games, playing hockey, etc. i dont bring it in my boat, but for most social events it passes.

side note: Pil as it's called here almost always comes with freebies which makes it not bad, + you can play games with counting the little rabbits on the bottle... if you drink it long enough and in quantity, there's a rabbit flying the plane and manning the train. ;)

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

20oz pint, at Hudsons Canadian Taphouse. Pil, along with Canadian, was the de facto beer choice amongst my peers for well into our early 20s. I recall having to buy a two-four of this when it was my turn to buy the beer for my men's league hockey team a while back, under strict instruction, no less.

This beer arrives at the bar, and appears a clear, very pale golden yellow colour, with a single finger of puffy, loosely foamy, and kind of wispy dirty white head, which leaves a bit of sticky forest foliage lace around the glass as it quickly settles.

It smells of gritty rice/corn grain, a rather uninviting plastic acetone essence, dry spent yeast, and faint, yet still rather skunky, grassy hops. The taste is more sweet than the aroma let on - the malt displaying its rice and corn heritage in all its lurid glory - with some subtle, yet still skunky herbal notes, still evident yeast, and soft, stale green grassiness, the kind with just a kiss of Roundup applied.

The carbonation is a bit on the high side, which appears to cut through some of the overwrought sweetness, the body fairly light, weight-wise, and quite thin, with a certain clammy pithiness. It finishes off-dry, with an emphasis on that sweet adjunct corn row, um, heartiness.

Normally, I'd give this one a wide berth, but tonight, with the weather acting like it's still April, and hockey still on multiple LCDs in the pub, this went down just fine with a sweat-inducing (by my own silly order) category 5 hotness bison burger. The real problem with ordering this on tap is, of course, the missed opportunity for searching for the hidden white rabbits.

3.34/5  rDev +18.9%

Was able to try this fine beer prior to departing Calgary International Airport. The beer was golden in color with decent carbonation. The scent was rather bland with grain tones. The taste was good....for me there was a bit of sweetness, which then was followed by grain/wheat taste. The beer came off the pallete quite nice and didnt linger. I thought this to be a very good beer.

2.96/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from the colorfully labeled can into a Duvel glass. Fairly decent white head settling over clear deep yellow colored beer. Nose is unremarkable: some corn and weak maltiness with barely a hop flower to be found. Taste is light bodied with corn adjunct apparent, scant light malt and again nary any hoppiness. Finshes light and watery, seems like an 'old school' old man's beer. Glad I could only buy a single without having to put out for a six of this stuff. MIGHT go well with the hot Ottawa weather we've had of late but otherwise don't bother.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

I will do my absolute best to review this subjectively...however I have a soft spot for this beer, deep rooted in my soul. It is hands down my favourite macro git r done beer.

A: clear straw yellow, white 1/2" head disipates quickly, no lacing.
S: sweet bready light malt and sour hop extract.
T: taste is light and refreshing. It's not what this beer has but what it hasn't that makes it so great. Most macro lagers have that adjunct funk to them. This does not. Theres nothing remarkable to say about this beer. It is pretty simple, but its clear, clean and crisp.
M: lightly carbonated. Goes down smooth. Designed to be swilled quickly. When it warms it gets a bit boozy...
O: in my opinion THE best party get drunk beer. I never drink this and tell myself "oh this is really good, I like this and that about it" But everytime I drink it I like it enough to think "I could drink 15 of these"

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Ahh, Pil . . . nostalgia dictates my buddies and I slug a bunch back whenever we attend a Grey Cup in western Canada — but how would it stand up to the scrutiny of a BA review?

All things considered, not too bad. Its appearance is a pale straw gold with a compact white head that quickly dwindles to a ring. The smell? Not much there: some bready malt when it's really cold, but a less-pleasant grain husk adjunct funk as it warmed.

Taste-wise, there's a flash of bitter hops at the beginning but it's crowded out all too soon by a corny adjunct flavour that dominates the finish and lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Nevertheless, it's easy to put a few of these back without it seeming off-putting. Tarting it up in a pilsener glass — rather than drinking from the can — redeemed it a bit.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

This one is out of the bottle and i must say it is a little better than the can.Pours the same pale yellow with white foamy head that probably lasts a few seconds more than the can version.Nose is still faint malts,some light corn.Taste is refreshing,mild grass and corn,the difference here compared to the can is the metallic taste that lingers in your mouth is gone.Easy to drink,lots of carbs,got the bubbly feel like sparkling wine.Good beer,i enjoy it once in a while.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at The Beer Store approx. $2.20/ 473ml can. Served at 8deg C in a draught glass

A- Standard Canadian beer. Clear and foamy

S- Not much here but that is standard for this mass produced beer

T- Pretty good! Brings back a bit of nostalgia from visiting BC

M- Not much as usual but that's ok

O- Got to give this beer a passing grade

Food Pairing

Pair this with anything you want at a BBQ.

Enjoy!

2.97/5  rDev +5.7%

A- I've had enough of these to know this isn't the best looking beer out there, but it doesn't look bad either! It pours with a decent foamy head that actually retains decently, settling to a thin layer of foam over the beer. The color is lighter than a typical Pils style, being a clear grassy tone, and there's lots of big carbonation that clings to the glass within the brew. There is some moderate lacing that sticks to the glass as well. The label is classic so there's points for that!

S- This is where the macro quality of this beer starts to show. The aroma is fairly mild, primarily being of grass and dry dusty grain. There is some sweet corn aromas and not very much for hop bitterness...bland overall in my opinion.

T- More of the same here, there being a distince grassy flavor, some sweetness from the malts....subtle honey and corn comes to mind. The hop bitterness is there slightly on the finish, but not enough that someone would know that this is a true Pilsner style beer. Not offensive and a small notch above the average macro, but nothing special here.

M- This has the typical macro wateriness that I would expect from Molson. The carbonation scrubs the palate well and it delivers a thirst quenching quality.

D- The relative lack of flavor, watery feel, and amount of carbonation lead me to say that this is a great beer to have many of. This is a great patio beer....it doesn't cost a ton and it can be enjoyed by the majority of beer drinkers. I would have no problems having many of these over an evening!

2.48/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Can: Poured a light golden color pilsner with a nice pure white foamy head. Aroma of lightly sweet malt based with light cereal notes. Taste is also dominated by lightly sweet adjunct notes with light cereal notes and light sweet finish. Body is light with good carbonation. This was not as bad as I had expected but it is still a pretty bland offering.

2.96/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer has a cult following in the Canadian Prairies, and especially Saskatchewan. It's never been my generic beer-of-choice.

It has a medium straw colour typical of many lagers, but certainly not so pale as to be unappealing. There was a nice foamy head, but now it has settled down to almost nothing.

The aroma is almost non-existent. It can barely discern anything short of a vague "beer" smell.

The flavour is quite a lot better than the aroma (as seems to be the case with many macro lagers). There is some nice hoppy bite to start out that is accented a bit by the carbonation. It leads into some full bready malt flavours that linger. I quite like it. It has a bit more flavour than your average macro brew.

Overall, I'm rating this as a macro-lager, and not so much as a German Pilsner. It is pretty decent. I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these around a campfire!

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

True, this is the can you associate with finding in the gutter, it's a timeless classic in Alberta since before I was born, a fall back for the majority of the population. I however, found this particular can in my dad's beer fridge (well, at least he replaced the Old Milwaukee).

It pours out of it's very familiar green, red, gold and white landscaped can depicting the average day out in the West back in the day (tongue in cheek). Pale cidery straw in appearance, the head puts up a fairly decent fight and lingers for a bout a minue. Smells of sharp corn husks, slight biscuit. Has a bit more flavour than the average macro that I've been used to (although for many it's been a while). The mouthfeel is fuller than the average macro as well. The only problem with Molson Pilsner is that it makes me sleepy after a couple of them, which totally reduces its drinkability points. A possible substitute for a sleeping pill, but that doesn't say much.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

My ex girlfriend made me took that beer(she's from Saskatchewan), well first I bought that beer after 1800, so the price went quite high and end up for 21$ for a 12 packs, oh yeah added that it took me 2 hours to drive forth and back to the nearest village, God bless her sense of humor!

What can I say about that beer, nothing much, it is a quite average beer, with average everything. Unfortunately I only drank up from the bottle so I cannot really comments on the smell and look. I felt it to be very drinkable but with a particular bitter taste not leavin me easilly.

Anyway that beer reminds me that my ex father in law, rejected 6 bottles of Unibroue for his Molson Canadian, what a bugger eh.

4.08/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Straw gold filtered, little carbonation, 4 fingers of fluffy white head.

S: Saaz hops, grainy, hay, spicy green hay, a touch of molasses.

T: Very balanced with a light sweetness right from the start, all the hops big spicy green hay and touch of molasses all coming through, wheatgrass. I think it’s a tribute to the freshness of this beer.

M: Medium almost syrupy bready body, medium low carbonation.

O: This one surprised me in a pleasant way. Cool old style can takes me back to old Germany, which is appealing if you want an old style beer. The smell and taste deliver in balance. The sweetness took me off guard a little, perhaps a little too much in this beer, but the freshness of it makes me want to keep drinking it. Really it’s a great beer.

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Can from the Ottawa LCBO for $2

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with a massive size fizzy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes.

Smell - Corn, apples, grains

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste corn, apples, and grains. There is also a slight cardboard type flavour. It ends with a stale adjunct aftertaste.

Overall – Pretty much what I was expecting I guess.. just another poor adjunct from Molson Coors. It did have a nice appearance, I will give it that.

1.71/5  rDev -39.1%

Thanks Josh. Pale straw with a foamy white cap, leaving scads of lacing. Faint malty and corn aromas, tin and bread also present. Sweet malt flavours, corn and grain/hay/grass? Strange creamy mouthfeel, almost unpleasant. Odd bitter tin finish. Not in my top 100.

'Pil' - the beer of every small town in the prairies. Your very average macro product that is reasonably priced and is available everywhere. Pours a pale straw color with a white head of small bubbles, that quickly flattens out and disappears. Some smell of grain, slight hops (but you have to really lookfor it). Light flavor, with a clean finish. Lots of carbonation give a crisp mouthfeel. Thirst quenching on a hot day. Just don't let it get warm or the taste will burn you. Enjoy the Saskatchewan way - straight from the bottle.

2.33/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pale golden adjunct lager colour, with a half-finger head that dies down over the next few minutes, leaving behind some modest lacing. The smell is uninteresting - malts and corn - confirming my suspicion that this is just a regular macro labelled as a pilsener.

Taste is actually not that bad. There is a bit of a diluted bread malt sweetness at first, followed by a very mildly bitter finish. There is a bit of an adjunct flavor, but compared to other Molson products it is very subdued. Of course, all of the flavors are subdued; if I didn't know better I would think this was a light beer for that very reason. Very watery and thin, with heavy carbonation. I feel a little bloated after drinking half of this.

For an adjunct lager, Pilsner is quite drinkable due to the lack of any serious off flavours. However, if they are going to call it a pilsener they should at least have the decency to use hops. Taking this as a macro lager, the score above would likely be at least a full letter grade higher (C+). Pilsner is to pilsener as Alexander Keith's is to IPA - but regardless of style interpretation, they're both good campfire/hockey/mindless inebriation beers.

[Updated Oct. 23 2013]

I did a bit of a double-take when I saw this tallboy at my local Beer Store - Vitamin P available in Ontario? When did this happen? I haven't seen this stuff since I was out working in Alberta. It looks great in the glass, but other than that there's not much I can add to this review. Molson's Old Style Pilsner is a passable adjunct lager that might get a halfway decent grade if they'd just call it that, but it's a piss-poor pilsner with no detectable hop bill. Maybe I'm being anal retentive, but other than the low price this one really doesn't have much going for it - if I'm trying to get drunk then James Ready is more abv at the same price, and if I'm trying to enjoy a tasty lager then there are plenty of vastly superior German/Czech imports at surprisingly comparable prices.

Final Grade: 2.33, a D+.

3.32/5  rDev +18.1%

Straw yellow appearance with lots of head. For the smell, I picked up grass, bread and floral hops.

Taste is sweet and malty, it is also crisp and grainy but nothing very distinct. Light bodied with lots of carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter but quickly disappears.

Overall, this is a pretty generic Pilsener. Definitely made to shotgun like on FUBAR. Yet for some reason (maybe because it's simple and easy to drink) I keep finding my self drinking this at bars.

2.34/5  rDev -16.7%

473ML can with no freshness date poured into pilsener glass.

Pours a pale yellow body showing lots of carbonation with a foamy white head. Retention's not bad, but no lacing left behind.

Aroma is corn.

Taste is a light corn and sweet malt that gets a bit stronger on the finish. I can't taste anything that might be construed as a hop. It's all pretty watery-tasting.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, low carbonation and almost creamy.

It's not a terrible beer, though it's not particularly tasty, nor to style. Goes down easily enough I guess.

2.18/5  rDev -22.4%

A- Light piss yellow, with a fairly decent head

S- Not a whole lot of scent but hints of grass are in there.

T- I can taste a little corn, with the dry grassy taste, slight hop bitterness.

M- Lots of carbonation

D- Cheap and a generic pilsner, so i can easily down 12 in 1 sitting. Good for a backyard BBQ with lots of people.

Serving type: Can

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

355ml can poured in a mug.

Clear, straw yellow in colour. Huge frothy white head is 2 inches high at the pour. Head retains about 1/4 inch until half the glass is done, then a thin layer remains. Some lacing present.

Aroma is slightly sour, mild skunk hops. Not unlike most macros.

Resonably bland. Not strong enough to be offensive, but not enough there to really enjoy it either. Mild bitterness at the swallow. Aftertaste is acidic then fades to an off-veggie/adjunct taste.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Moderately carbonated and smooth.

While there isn't alot to write home about in terms of flavour (like most macros), the mouthfeel is pretty nice which makes this quite drinkable. Overall, not dreadful, but take a pass.

Note: Although this beer is called "Old Style Pilsner" I would hardly put it in the pilsner style. It's definitely a macro lager.

2.98/5  rDev +6%

473 ml can served cold into a Keith's pint glass. Purchased from LCBO for about $2 CDN.

Appearance - clear and pale golden color. Few bubbles but capped by a finger and a bit of white fluffy head that leaves a trace of lacing.

Smell - some grassy notes, but not terribly aromatic even for the style.

Taste - grassy up front, then more grainy on the back end. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Decent pils, but not terribly exciting.

Mouthfeel - medium body and carbonation is a bit low. Medium finish.

Overall - not a bad effort at a pils, but there are many other options available for about the same price.

FUBAR is all i can say watch the movie. and you will know what i am talking about. i am just rambling because of the word limit. and jesus tappdancing christ it is here. oo. wow i dont know what else to say. well sir i am drunk etseeras, wow what else to say . hi i am harley

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »