Old Style Pilsner - Molson Coors Canada

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-05-2002)

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%

4.09/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Straw gold filtered, little carbonation, 4 fingers of fluffy white head.

S: Saaz hops, grainy, hay, spicy green hay, a touch of molasses.

T: Very balanced with a light sweetness right from the start, all the hops big spicy green hay and touch of molasses all coming through, wheatgrass. I think it’s a tribute to the freshness of this beer.

M: Medium almost syrupy bready body, medium low carbonation.

O: This one surprised me in a pleasant way. Cool old style can takes me back to old Germany, which is appealing if you want an old style beer. The smell and taste deliver in balance. The sweetness took me off guard a little, perhaps a little too much in this beer, but the freshness of it makes me want to keep drinking it. Really it’s a great beer.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

3.41/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at The Beer Store approx. $2.20/ 473ml can. Served at 8deg C in a draught glass

A- Standard Canadian beer. Clear and foamy

S- Not much here but that is standard for this mass produced beer

T- Pretty good! Brings back a bit of nostalgia from visiting BC

M- Not much as usual but that's ok

O- Got to give this beer a passing grade

Food Pairing

Pair this with anything you want at a BBQ.

Enjoy!

3.4/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a straw yellow with a finger width of bubbly head.

Smell- Sweet corn, grains, apple, grassy.

Taste- Sweet corn, grains, and apple are all present followed by a grassy and dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall- An easy drinking pilsner. This is one of the better macros out there considering its brewed by Molson. This would be perfect for a hot summer day after doing yard work or something along those lines.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Was able to try this fine beer prior to departing Calgary International Airport. The beer was golden in color with decent carbonation. The scent was rather bland with grain tones. The taste was good....for me there was a bit of sweetness, which then was followed by grain/wheat taste. The beer came off the pallete quite nice and didnt linger. I thought this to be a very good beer.

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

A: Pours a clear yellow with a finger and a half worth of bubbly head. Settles to a thin cap and left a lot of lacing at the top of the glass and progressively less the further down the glass it went.

S: For the most part I just get some wet grains. There isn’t much there for aroma.

T: More grains but it also has some grassyness as well. Nice light taste that doesn’t make me cringe like some macro beers.

M: Light fizzy carbonation with a light body.

O: I’ve always seen this beer and I think it’s almost a bit odd that I haven’t had it until now. But anyways I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It was very easy to drink and there was nothing bad about it. I could easily see myself drinking this beer if I’m going to be drinking macro.

3.34/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

YES! So happy to see this available at the Beer Store. A classic prairie pilsner that has a serious cult following and a disgusting association with the Riders. From notes.

A - Light apple juice coloured pour with good carbonation. Bright and had a two finger fluffy white head that left good lace rings and a finger of retention.

S - Sweet grain, apple, pear, corn.

T - Sweet grain again, mild hope note, honey. Not all that unpleasant.

M - Strong carbonation, medium body, sweet finish. Good for the style.

O/D - I've had this a couple times out West and never felt it was too bad for the style. I could definitely have a few of these in a night and consider it one of the better adjunct lagers around. Avoids the DMS assault most examples of the style carry with them.

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

I will do my absolute best to review this subjectively...however I have a soft spot for this beer, deep rooted in my soul. It is hands down my favourite macro git r done beer.

A: clear straw yellow, white 1/2" head disipates quickly, no lacing.
S: sweet bready light malt and sour hop extract.
T: taste is light and refreshing. It's not what this beer has but what it hasn't that makes it so great. Most macro lagers have that adjunct funk to them. This does not. Theres nothing remarkable to say about this beer. It is pretty simple, but its clear, clean and crisp.
M: lightly carbonated. Goes down smooth. Designed to be swilled quickly. When it warms it gets a bit boozy...
O: in my opinion THE best party get drunk beer. I never drink this and tell myself "oh this is really good, I like this and that about it" But everytime I drink it I like it enough to think "I could drink 15 of these"

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

One of the better "cheap" canadian beers. Not something I drink all the time, but if I had a choice of this or any of the other canadian beers, kokanee, canadian, lucky, black lable, wildcat, etc. I would drink this without much hesitation.

It is a fairly typical "german pilsner" style beer, but lets not be fooled, it's not as good as most beers from Germany.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Straw yellow appearance with lots of head. For the smell, I picked up grass, bread and floral hops.

Taste is sweet and malty, it is also crisp and grainy but nothing very distinct. Light bodied with lots of carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter but quickly disappears.

Overall, this is a pretty generic Pilsener. Definitely made to shotgun like on FUBAR. Yet for some reason (maybe because it's simple and easy to drink) I keep finding my self drinking this at bars.

Old Style Pilsner from Molson Coors Canada