Old Style Pilsner - Molson Coors Canada

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-05-2002

1.42/5  rDev -49.5%

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

Pilsner pours a light yellow, and has a soapy head. The taste is bizarre depending on what can you drink. I found that the beer tasted like melted glue and depending on the can, it has a harsh taste that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Wouldn't recommend.

1.52/5  rDev -45.9%

1.64/5  rDev -41.6%

From Notes from Calgary Trip 9/27 - 10/1, consumed at The Garage. Some beers I had were good, some where bad. This falls into the latter category. When I was trying to decide what beer to try, I asked the bartender about this one, as its green tap handle that just read "Pilsner" left a lot to the imagination. The bartender called it redneck beer (I didn't know Canada had rednecks) and tried to steer me clear of it. I should have listened to him.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass golden yellow, like any other macro. This one had a big foamy head (which like a macro style fell to nothing). Moderate streams of carbonation bubbles evident.

Smell: Bad. A foul aroma, hot dirty socks, some adjuncty sweetness also, but I don't think its supposed to have any adjuncts.

Taste: Just not good either. It was a little bitter indicating some hops, but nothing else outstanding. Left an aftertaste in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Light and lively, but somewhat soapy. And that dang aftertaste...

Drinkability: If I was at home I would have dumped this, just not worth my time. But I was at a bar and felt obligated to suck it up and battle through this. I know it wasn't a bad tap line either, they had two taps of this and a small sample pulled from the second tap was just as bad for me. Skip this one.

1.71/5  rDev -39.1%

Thanks Josh. Pale straw with a foamy white cap, leaving scads of lacing. Faint malty and corn aromas, tin and bread also present. Sweet malt flavours, corn and grain/hay/grass? Strange creamy mouthfeel, almost unpleasant. Odd bitter tin finish. Not in my top 100.

2.18/5  rDev -22.4%

A- Light piss yellow, with a fairly decent head

S- Not a whole lot of scent but hints of grass are in there.

T- I can taste a little corn, with the dry grassy taste, slight hop bitterness.

M- Lots of carbonation

D- Cheap and a generic pilsner, so i can easily down 12 in 1 sitting. Good for a backyard BBQ with lots of people.

Serving type: Can

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

My ex girlfriend made me took that beer(she's from Saskatchewan), well first I bought that beer after 1800, so the price went quite high and end up for 21$ for a 12 packs, oh yeah added that it took me 2 hours to drive forth and back to the nearest village, God bless her sense of humor!

What can I say about that beer, nothing much, it is a quite average beer, with average everything. Unfortunately I only drank up from the bottle so I cannot really comments on the smell and look. I felt it to be very drinkable but with a particular bitter taste not leavin me easilly.

Anyway that beer reminds me that my ex father in law, rejected 6 bottles of Unibroue for his Molson Canadian, what a bugger eh.

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%

2.29/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I have a soft spot in my heart for this beer, having consumed it in copious quantities over the years. Let's be clear - Pil is no different than any other mass-produced Canadian beer. It's clear, with a foamy head and your standard macro lager taste. At one point, it was priced like a "budget" beer, but that's no longer the case. I'm not even sure if there are bunnies on the label any more. It's a sad state of affairs...

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

True, this is the can you associate with finding in the gutter, it's a timeless classic in Alberta since before I was born, a fall back for the majority of the population. I however, found this particular can in my dad's beer fridge (well, at least he replaced the Old Milwaukee).

It pours out of it's very familiar green, red, gold and white landscaped can depicting the average day out in the West back in the day (tongue in cheek). Pale cidery straw in appearance, the head puts up a fairly decent fight and lingers for a bout a minue. Smells of sharp corn husks, slight biscuit. Has a bit more flavour than the average macro that I've been used to (although for many it's been a while). The mouthfeel is fuller than the average macro as well. The only problem with Molson Pilsner is that it makes me sleepy after a couple of them, which totally reduces its drinkability points. A possible substitute for a sleeping pill, but that doesn't say much.

Old Style Pilsner from Molson Coors Canada