Molson M - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: ZorPrime on 11-21-2009

Molson M, the world’s only Microcarbonated lager is proudly brewed with precision and consistency. An authentic, 4.9% lager with an exceptionally easy drinking taste, because details make the difference.

Years of innovation have enabled us to create this Microcarbonated lager based on Molson Coors’ proprietary process. This process allows us to brew Molson M to the ideal level of carbonation to deliver all the goodness of the hops and the subtle flavours created by the yeast during fermentation, delivering a lager with an exceptionally drinkable taste.
to view more.
Ratings: 96 | Reviews: 48
1.65/5  rDev -31.8%

Horrible beer. Would not recommend to drink to add to your beer list.

3.01/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Purchased at The Beer Store for around $2.20 for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens ok and pours a white head that is one in 10sec. Clear

S- Pretty good considering

T- Very good for a North American beer

F- Ok at best

O- As a Mechanical Engineer I would have to be a complete moron to think that there are micro bubbles in water for some reason when surface tension and the laws of physics dictate otherwise. Guess Molson thinks people in large are stupid.

Food Pairing

This ok beer went well with... anything you would pair a Bud with.

Enjoy

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Re- reviewing this beer after probably about a year since I last tried it. 473 ml can purchased from The Beer Store for $2 (with returns money). Served cold into a glass.

Appearance - Clear golden color, that isn't pale, but it's not really a rich golden color either. A few tiny bubbles make their ascent to the surface. About a finger of frothy looking white head was poured (good) but it didn't last long (bad). Minimal soapy residue on top lingers for the duration.

Smell - There is a lot of sweet corn aroma but nothing vegetative that would be offputting, nor anything metallic.

Taste - Sweet at first then moves to dried cereal grains in flavor. Absolutely no bitterness. Strange combination actually kind of works for me personally, but it's hard to say why

Mouthfeel - A little on the flat side and thin bodied. Lacks the crispness that you would can find even with Canadian.

Overall - It's like Canadian with less crispness and flatter otherwise the two beers are pretty similar. i was happy to revisit this since it's been awhile, but this is a reminder that there's a reason why if I'm going for adjunct lagers, Molson Canadian is the way to go.

3.43/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Molson M has taken a lot of flak amonst beer snobs, but I happen to actually enjoy it, especially at the $2 tall boy price point. Its like going to see an Adam Sandler movie and expecting an Oscar nominee. For a toonie I'm not expecting to be blown away, but this I find is far superior to the other macrobrews you find. I think Molson Coors was expecting it to be a bigger hit than it has been, I've been to a few restaurants that have it listed on the menu but no longer carry it. Also the supplier to the local LCBO has been trying to get this beer replaced there with something else.

It pours a light golden colour, two fingers of white head that dissipate quickly. The microcarbonation process injects many small bubbles, makes it interesting to look at.

The taste in inoffensive, not boozy or harsh at all. Makes for a good thirst quencher after mowing the lawn, also would be very easy to drink a few of these in a row.

4.28/5  rDev +76.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Molson Canada is the first to introduce Microcarbonation. Basically smaller bubbles, and lots of them. Makes for an extremely easy drinking and smooth tasting beer.

This beer pours a light gold colour. Lots of small bubbles.

Smell is very faint. Like a dull Molson Canadian.

Taste is what a Canadian Lager should be. Strong, but not offensive.

Due to the microcarbonation it feels great on the tongue. Just the right amount. Goes down smooth.

Overall I was very impressed with this beer. I will be purchasing again in the near future. Good job Molson.

Also, if you consume alot do not fret. No Molson Mudslides the following day with this product.

MB

2.19/5  rDev -9.5%

Molson M is one of those weird beers that people either really love or really hate. I'm the latter. The taste is not the problem here, it tastes like plain old Canadian, but this beer is flat is anything I've ever had - the "microcarbonation" gimmick is a joke.

Basically if you take Canadian, let it sit for a day, then drink it, you will have this. Ugh.

I've laughed a little bit at people giving this beer serious reviews and knocking it quite a bit. I tried this beer in no way expecting it to be anything even remotely close to a quality microbrew. I only had hopes that it "may" be something from a bulk north American producer that I could tolerate, and that I could count on being available. Well, I do find it quite a bit nicer than regular Canadian, easy drinking, clean taste, good bulk general purpose beer. I still don't consider it something in the leagues of being worth taste testing or comparing to real beer, but as a refreshing beverage that can commonly be found or that I can toss to a buddy on a hot day....it's quite nice. My ratings above are meant to be nothing...neither for or against in context of rating against real beers. But compared to the big brews out there it's my current favourite. If I'm looking to enjoy a quality beer matched to food or such, this and all other major brewery products are not where I look.

1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

The commercials and advertising claims make Molson M out to be something quite unique - its appearance, however, suggests it's anything but special. Its pale straw colour and watery, clear complexion is predictable and ubiquitous. And for all this hype about carbonation, the beer has no head and the bubbles are spent within minutes!

The nose is saccharine sweet (like cotton candy) and smells of canned creamed corn. The only instance this bouquet is acceptable might be, perhaps, in the cheap jugs of sparkling white wine high-school students buy on prom night. A touch of roasty caramel malt is surprisingly noted but, sure enough, is found on the ingredients list.

Assuming, for a moment, that Molson M is "more gently" carbonated, this non-sense about "preserving all the goodness of the hops", well, that's pure hooey. For one, the beer is brewed without a trace of hops to begin with. Secondly, what do the bubbles have to do with bitterness or aroma? Carbonation was about all Molson lagers had going for them!

As result, the toning down of bubbles has led to a jacking up of the cloying, adjunct-ridden flavors of canned corn and soggy white bread. There's fewer bubbles to distract from them. The sips that taste of nothing are a welcomed departure from those that stick to the tongue like scotch tape and rip off in the aftertaste flavors of mildewy cardboard.

Big breweries rely on the fact that a fool and his money are easily parted - today I am that fool. The registered trademark "microcarbonation" sounded to me like the stupidest, most made-up pile of advertising garbage and now, having tried it, I can say for certain that it is. This product is fit for marketing classes, maybe, but not the beer fridge.

1.87/5  rDev -22.7%

I don't know what I was expecting from this beer. The commercials are nice, but come on. It's a Molson product. Can it really be that good? Well, let's find out. This beer pours your usual pale golden/yellow colour, with very little head to speak of. Smell is very light of hops, malts and a bit of spice. Hey, spice. Tasted a bit stale. Some malt flavour, some hops, but overall it tasted bland and stale. Mouthfeel is watery. Overall, I'd rather have Canadian. Or even Coors Light. This is an overrated beer that a huge producer is trying to put a quality spin on. Well, their is very little quality to be had.

3.17/5  rDev +31%

It's an average (pale-golden) lager in appearance.
There is a slight head, but the glass I had it in, dissipated quickly.

Aroma is slight fruit and spice. There are some tones of malt and hops on the nose. I will say, it's one of the better smelling Molson brews I have had.
Some sweet corn adjuncts linger around with a bit of cereal grain.

Not offensive whatsoever.

Mini carbonation ( hence the micro carbonation used in production ) "M" Sort of like a popping on the tongue.
I found it faded fast.

Soft, easy drinking and smooth.
I would purchase this again, however, I think they should lower the cash you have to shell out from a premium price point.

Decent on its own, or with nacho's and burgers, wings or med-spiced dishes.

3.05/5  rDev +26%

Decent head at first pour but settles very quickly.

Smell: Very light & mild hop aroma. Other than that there is not much to it.

Taste: Very Light bodied but clean and smooth. Slight and I mean a slight hop taste. Not much taste or flavor. Very similar to Molson Canadian but less carbonation it seems.An okay beer but nothing to write home about. Prefer Molson Canadian a bit more.

2.01/5  rDev -16.9%

Received this free with the purchase of a wine at our local grocery store.

Poured from a 710ml. can.

Appearance: A very pale gold body with a bubbling white head and a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Some faint fruit and adjuncts/corn. Light sulfur.

Taste: Mild fruit, stale flavor and nothing else really. Very bland.

Mouthfeel: Marginally better as it is smooth but very watery and lifeless.

Overall: Just enough for a review. Not worth the time.

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Expectations were pretty low, but it's a free can so I couldn't just walk away...

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Taste is very much of a typical "Euro macro lager", but the corn presence isn't as overwhelming as I expected. Little sweetness and perhaps even a Saarz hop or two? Definitely bland, but better than I'd hoped. The "micro carbonation" has led to very little head, but still some pretty normal looking bubbles. Thin golden colour isn't eye catching.

A typical European macro lager - I haven't tried a Stella in a dog's age, but I think it would taste similar. Not my kind of beer, but I'm certain there are worse options out there.

2.21/5  rDev -8.7%

A buddy had these at a party a couple weeks back, so I gave one a shot.

It poured nicely, clear golden colour, better appearance wise than a Canadian - nothing overly special really but not a bad looking beer.

Smells like a Canadian macro beer, smells like Molson Canadian actually, not a ton so far to differentiate itself.

Taste is a bit waterry, still has the molson taste but almost tastes like a light beer not a 4.9%

Mouthfeel isn't bad at all, smooth with some carbonation, feels like a draught beer out of a bottle, which I guess is the idea.

Overall, falls somewhere between Molson Canadian and Miller Genuine Draft, with the taste of Canadian and look and feel of an MGD. I won't go out of my way to find this.

2.08/5  rDev -14%

A - Pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet corn and buttered bread.

T - Much like the scent with the sweet corn dominating, and rather overpowering. Bready malts linger on the palette..

M - Is microcarbonated another word for watery? Not impressed.

O - Tastes like a watery Canadian. I wouldn't turn one down, but I would prefer a Rickard's over this.

2.28/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: It has a clear pale yellow colour to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and has no lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, grains and nothing else.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bready/grainy malt taste to it with alot of corn.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/med carbonation with a thin feel.

Drinkability: It's a smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas.

1.77/5  rDev -26.9%

Had on tap at Toronto's Cask and Firkin. Served in a pint glass cool.

A-Golden clear yellow, light white head

S-Nothing

T-Corn cereal veg aftertaste

M-Light

D-Microfermentation? Really? Tastes like a regular Molson microcarbonated?

Sent from my iPod

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing (large bubbles) and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, corn, malts, light hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains, and lots of corn. There is also a light amount of hops and an apple juice sweetness. It finishes with a grainy corn aftertaste with a slight bitterness.

Overall – It really tastes like a light beer. It would make a decent lawn mower beer.. but I don't understand why they market it as some sort of amazing high end beer. Anyways, I wouldn't buy it again, but it was drinkable.

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

Had a bottle of this at Tony Roma's recently. I thought, "What the heck, let's try out the new guy!" My biggest curiousity is, "What the hell does micro-carbonated mean?" Let's find out!

Clear and golden in colour. No head. What? No head and no carbonation streams. I guess the micro carbonation is so small I can't see it.

Aroma is grain and corn sweetness. This is beginning to look like a mistake.

Cooked veggies, grains, adjuncts (corn) with a hint of sweetness. Finish is wet and brief.

Mouthfeel is flat and syrupy. It's like a flat pop. Terrible.

Stay away. I believe "micro carbonated" means FLAT. When the waitress asked how it tasted I told her in no uncertain terms how bad it is and she said, "Ya, I don't like it either." So I gave her some good natured razzing for not warning me before putting this crap in my mouth and she said, "Some people really like it." What the hell? Who could like this? I predict it will be off the market in a heart-beat, never to be heard from again. Quite possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had. AVOID.

2.08/5  rDev -14%

Second review during my night in Niagara Falls. Reviews are brief compared to my usual style because they are reviewed from notes.

On-tap at Edgewaters Tap & Grill in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Reviewed from notes taken on 07-08-2011.

A: Looks identical to Molson’s Canadian Lager: pale straw yellow with a very thin white head. No lacing, cheap-looking, but with a slight brightness that is relatively attractive.

S: Wow, the nose is almost absent from this brew. A tiny bit of old yeasty breads make an appearance, and that's it. No hops, no fruits, nothing but a slight yeast hit. I honestly can’t really tell that it’s beer.

T: Banana is the most prominent flavor in the front end of the palate, mostly from an adjunct-laden wheat backdrop. Some breads quickly follow, showing a pretty lifeless yeast character. A tinge of cheap booze rounds off the underwhelming palate, allowing the aftertaste to settle on a sour note.

M: Fizzy and weak, so it goes down without much spirit. It’s not smooth in a mellow, mature way; it’s sad and comatose.

O: Nope. This thing is macro to its core – it has even less flavor than Molson’s Canadian. My brother summed it up best: after taking a sip of both Molson M and Molson Canadian, he said “Oh…is this the non-alcoholic kind?” Exactly.

2.55/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at the LCBO - an utter ripoff whatever I paid for it. However the can is pretty cool looking, and the name of the beer is awesome. Served in a Jester King snifter late in the night.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thick collar and patches of haze but no lace. Transparent pale golden body. Looks pretty typical for the style.

S - Smells like a typical adjunct lager too - fruity, with sugar, corn, and honey malt character. Gets cloying quite quickly.

T - Again, sweet fruity notes, honey, corn, lightly toasted grains. Gets pretty sweet as it warms up.

M - Zesty carbonation that is active but pleasant - must be the much-vaunted "micro-carbonation". Surprisingly hefty for a sub-5% brew. Finishes sticky.

D - A welcome change of pace relative to the malt liquors, and a fairly decent adjunct lager. I doubt I'll ever purchase it again, but I'd take this over Canadian or Export at some Canadian dive bar.

1.43/5  rDev -40.9%

Bought for me, I chose it as it was new to me and I already suffered through a Coors Light. Can poured into a plastic beer cup.
A: Tight white head that disappears in mere moments. Clear pale straw body. What more could you ask for from a BMC lager?
S: Not much there except fr the sweetness I find so preveltant in adjunct lagers.
T: Grainy with a hint of corn with other unwanted vegetal flavours coming to the palate party. An underling metallic tone that is incredibly off-putting. Virtually undrinkable, and makes the Coors Light taste delicious by comparison.
M: Stunningly, less carbonation brings out more off flavors in a BMC and leaves you with a thinner less crisp and biting finish. Appalling.
O: I am not want to drink and review BMC lagers, although I will at times. I felt it necessary to write this review to emphasize the unpalatable and undrinkable nature of this beer. Microcarbonation = Macrocrapination!

2.98/5  rDev +23.1%

Pale straw in colour. Its white head is surprisingly big and very tight. I'm not surprised by it's poor retention and lack of lacing, however. Faint scents of grain and bread, and an even fainter banana note. What little flavour it has is beer-like in the most generic sense, with that same subdued banana as the aroma. It is clean though. Very clean. Feels thin and watery even for the style. A lot of the texture in most standard american lagers comes from the spritzy, prickly carbonation. Without it, there is almost nothing in terms of mouthfeel. If they wanted to make an even smoother lightly flavoured and light bodied mass produced lager, then they seem to have succeeded. It really does go down like a glass of ice-cold water.

2.87/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This one was a freebie, and thank god for that because otherwise I doubt I'd ever have the pleasure of drinking this. I'm not sure what microcarbonation is, nor do I care.

Pours a brilliant golden colour with a half-finger head that dies down very quickly to almost nothing; not even a cap remains. The smell is mostly the same as Canadian or your average macro lager; corn and rice. If I use my imagination I can pick up some orange zest and grass.

Taste is smooth, but wholly uninteresting. Sweet grains and corniness - alright for the style, no serious off-flavors. I can't detect any hops. This reminds me of Canadian, surprise surprise. Carbonation is not quite as intense as in most macro lagers. I still have a feeling 'microcarbonated' just means less carbonated - but what can I say, I am skeptical by nature. Light-bodied and very easy to drink.

As someone said earlier, this beer only has 75 calories per bottle, which is only slightly more than their awful Canadian 67 line. If you are watching your weight, are a diehard Molson loyalist but don't want to drink 67, then this could be an option. I do not fall into that narrow category though, so I doubt I will get it again. Pretty much interchangeable with Canadian in terms of flavour and drinkability - and since this costs more, you might as well just stick with the regular instead of premium.

[Updated Oct. 31 2013]

I did the unthinkable and actually spent money on a can of this, but I am not feeling inclined to change the score much. This tastes okay - since it's basically just Canadian, which I have a soft spot for - but the whole 'microcarbonation' gimmick pretty much just amounts to flatness. It is extremely easy to drink quickly, but there are cheaper/tastier lagers that work equally well. No thanks.

Final Grade: 2.89, a C.

2.92/5  rDev +20.7%

Can from the Beer Store. 473ml into a pint glass - microcarbonation huh? Let's give this a whirl.

Pours a pale yellow, with a finger of white head that falls to the thinnest layer with some tight bubbles. This is super clear, but I detect some small bubbles rising in the body - microbubbles? Nose has some faint corn, mild DMS and a general sweetness but is very light. Nothing outstandingly offensive, and expected given the style. Taste has some general sweetness again, light corn, a touch of bitterness. Carbonation prickles the tongue a bit - is this the microcarbonation? Thin and watery feel. Not offensively bad, but relatively undifferentiated from any other macro adjunct lager out there, barring some interesting advertising.

to view more.