2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Molson M - Molson Coors Canada

Molson MMolson M

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Molson M, the world’s only Microcarbonated lager is proudly brewed with precision and consistency. An authentic, 4.9% lager with an exceptionally easy drinking taste, because details make the difference.

Years of innovation have enabled us to create this Microcarbonated lager based on Molson Coors’ proprietary process. This process allows us to brew Molson M to the ideal level of carbonation to deliver all the goodness of the hops and the subtle flavours created by the yeast during fermentation, delivering a lager with an exceptionally drinkable taste.

(Beer added by: ZorPrime on 11-21-2009)
View: Beers (53) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 78 | Reviews: 44 | Show All Ratings:
Subliminal64

4.28/5  rDev +76.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Molson Canada is the first to introduce Microcarbonation. Basically smaller bubbles, and lots of them. Makes for an extremely easy drinking and smooth tasting beer.

This beer pours a light gold colour. Lots of small bubbles.

Smell is very faint. Like a dull Molson Canadian.

Taste is what a Canadian Lager should be. Strong, but not offensive.

Due to the microcarbonation it feels great on the tongue. Just the right amount. Goes down smooth.

Overall I was very impressed with this beer. I will be purchasing again in the near future. Good job Molson.

Also, if you consume alot do not fret. No Molson Mudslides the following day with this product.

MB

10-14-2013 22:20:53 | More by Subliminal64
Olek4374

Alberta (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Molson M is one of those weird beers that people either really love or really hate. I'm the latter. The taste is not the problem here, it tastes like plain old Canadian, but this beer is flat is anything I've ever had - the "microcarbonation" gimmick is a joke.

Basically if you take Canadian, let it sit for a day, then drink it, you will have this. Ugh.

06-05-2013 02:16:11 | More by Olek4374
Teoma

I've laughed a little bit at people giving this beer serious reviews and knocking it quite a bit. I tried this beer in no way expecting it to be anything even remotely close to a quality microbrew. I only had hopes that it "may" be something from a bulk north American producer that I could tolerate, and that I could count on being available. Well, I do find it quite a bit nicer than regular Canadian, easy drinking, clean taste, good bulk general purpose beer. I still don't consider it something in the leagues of being worth taste testing or comparing to real beer, but as a refreshing beverage that can commonly be found or that I can toss to a buddy on a hot day....it's quite nice. My ratings above are meant to be nothing...neither for or against in context of rating against real beers. But compared to the big brews out there it's my current favourite. If I'm looking to enjoy a quality beer matched to food or such, this and all other major brewery products are not where I look.

05-06-2012 17:24:13 | More by Teoma
biegaman

1.83/5  rDev -24.4%

The commercials and advertising claims make Molson M out to be something quite unique - its appearance, however, suggests it's anything but special. Its pale straw colour and watery, clear complexion is predictable and ubiquitous. And for all this hype about carbonation, the beer has no head and the bubbles are spent within minutes!

The nose is saccharine sweet (like cotton candy) and smells of canned creamed corn. The only instance this bouquet is acceptable might be, perhaps, in the cheap jugs of sparkling white wine high-school students buy on prom night. A touch of roasty caramel malt is surprisingly noted but, sure enough, is found on the ingredients list.

Assuming, for a moment, that Molson M is "more gently" carbonated, this non-sense about "preserving all the goodness of the hops", well, that's pure hooey. For one, the beer is brewed without a trace of hops to begin with. Secondly, what do the bubbles have to do with bitterness or aroma? Carbonation was about all Molson lagers had going for them!

As result, the toning down of bubbles has led to a jacking up of the cloying, adjunct-ridden flavors of canned corn and soggy white bread. There's fewer bubbles to distract from them. The sips that taste of nothing are a welcomed departure from those that stick to the tongue like scotch tape and rip off in the aftertaste flavors of mildewy cardboard.

Big breweries rely on the fact that a fool and his money are easily parted - today I am that fool. The registered trademark "microcarbonation" sounded to me like the stupidest, most made-up pile of advertising garbage and now, having tried it, I can say for certain that it is. This product is fit for marketing classes, maybe, but not the beer fridge.

04-28-2012 00:05:00 | More by biegaman
slitherySOB

1.83/5  rDev -24.4%

I don't know what I was expecting from this beer. The commercials are nice, but come on. It's a Molson product. Can it really be that good? Well, let's find out. This beer pours your usual pale golden/yellow colour, with very little head to speak of. Smell is very light of hops, malts and a bit of spice. Hey, spice. Tasted a bit stale. Some malt flavour, some hops, but overall it tasted bland and stale. Mouthfeel is watery. Overall, I'd rather have Canadian. Or even Coors Light. This is an overrated beer that a huge producer is trying to put a quality spin on. Well, their is very little quality to be had.

04-16-2012 23:10:41 | More by slitherySOB
TheBeerGuy101

3.15/5  rDev +30.2%

It's an average (pale-golden) lager in appearance.
There is a slight head, but the glass I had it in, dissipated quickly.

Aroma is slight fruit and spice. There are some tones of malt and hops on the nose. I will say, it's one of the better smelling Molson brews I have had.
Some sweet corn adjuncts linger around with a bit of cereal grain.

Not offensive whatsoever.

Mini carbonation ( hence the micro carbonation used in production ) "M" Sort of like a popping on the tongue.
I found it faded fast.

Soft, easy drinking and smooth.
I would purchase this again, however, I think they should lower the cash you have to shell out from a premium price point.

Decent on its own, or with nacho's and burgers, wings or med-spiced dishes.

03-20-2012 04:08:08 | More by TheBeerGuy101
rwrk42

3.05/5  rDev +26%

Decent head at first pour but settles very quickly.

Smell: Very light & mild hop aroma. Other than that there is not much to it.

Taste: Very Light bodied but clean and smooth. Slight and I mean a slight hop taste. Not much taste or flavor. Very similar to Molson Canadian but less carbonation it seems.An okay beer but nothing to write home about. Prefer Molson Canadian a bit more.

12-16-2011 02:04:25 | More by rwrk42
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

1.95/5  rDev -19.4%

Received this free with the purchase of a wine at our local grocery store.

Poured from a 710ml. can.

Appearance: A very pale gold body with a bubbling white head and a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Some faint fruit and adjuncts/corn. Light sulfur.

Taste: Mild fruit, stale flavor and nothing else really. Very bland.

Mouthfeel: Marginally better as it is smooth but very watery and lifeless.

Overall: Just enough for a review. Not worth the time.

12-02-2011 20:20:44 | More by papat444
hopsolutely

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Expectations were pretty low, but it's a free can so I couldn't just walk away...

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Taste is very much of a typical "Euro macro lager", but the corn presence isn't as overwhelming as I expected. Little sweetness and perhaps even a Saarz hop or two? Definitely bland, but better than I'd hoped. The "micro carbonation" has led to very little head, but still some pretty normal looking bubbles. Thin golden colour isn't eye catching.

A typical European macro lager - I haven't tried a Stella in a dog's age, but I think it would taste similar. Not my kind of beer, but I'm certain there are worse options out there.

09-04-2011 22:35:26 | More by hopsolutely
NV9

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

A buddy had these at a party a couple weeks back, so I gave one a shot.

It poured nicely, clear golden colour, better appearance wise than a Canadian - nothing overly special really but not a bad looking beer.

Smells like a Canadian macro beer, smells like Molson Canadian actually, not a ton so far to differentiate itself.

Taste is a bit waterry, still has the molson taste but almost tastes like a light beer not a 4.9%

Mouthfeel isn't bad at all, smooth with some carbonation, feels like a draught beer out of a bottle, which I guess is the idea.

Overall, falls somewhere between Molson Canadian and Miller Genuine Draft, with the taste of Canadian and look and feel of an MGD. I won't go out of my way to find this.

09-04-2011 18:21:31 | More by NV9
andrenaline

2.05/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet corn and buttered bread.

T - Much like the scent with the sweet corn dominating, and rather overpowering. Bready malts linger on the palette..

M - Is microcarbonated another word for watery? Not impressed.

O - Tastes like a watery Canadian. I wouldn't turn one down, but I would prefer a Rickard's over this.

09-01-2011 01:31:55 | More by andrenaline
SebD

2.3/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: It has a clear pale yellow colour to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and has no lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, grains and nothing else.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bready/grainy malt taste to it with alot of corn.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/med carbonation with a thin feel.

Drinkability: It's a smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas.

08-17-2011 23:11:28 | More by SebD
jneiswender

1.8/5  rDev -25.6%

Had on tap at Toronto's Cask and Firkin. Served in a pint glass cool.

A-Golden clear yellow, light white head

S-Nothing

T-Corn cereal veg aftertaste

M-Light

D-Microfermentation? Really? Tastes like a regular Molson microcarbonated?

Sent from my iPod

07-20-2011 05:47:52 | More by jneiswender
spinrsx

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing (large bubbles) and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, corn, malts, light hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains, and lots of corn. There is also a light amount of hops and an apple juice sweetness. It finishes with a grainy corn aftertaste with a slight bitterness.

Overall – It really tastes like a light beer. It would make a decent lawn mower beer.. but I don't understand why they market it as some sort of amazing high end beer. Anyways, I wouldn't buy it again, but it was drinkable.

07-18-2011 13:17:59 | More by spinrsx
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

1.23/5  rDev -49.2%

Had a bottle of this at Tony Roma's recently. I thought, "What the heck, let's try out the new guy!" My biggest curiousity is, "What the hell does micro-carbonated mean?" Let's find out!

Clear and golden in colour. No head. What? No head and no carbonation streams. I guess the micro carbonation is so small I can't see it.

Aroma is grain and corn sweetness. This is beginning to look like a mistake.

Cooked veggies, grains, adjuncts (corn) with a hint of sweetness. Finish is wet and brief.

Mouthfeel is flat and syrupy. It's like a flat pop. Terrible.

Stay away. I believe "micro carbonated" means FLAT. When the waitress asked how it tasted I told her in no uncertain terms how bad it is and she said, "Ya, I don't like it either." So I gave her some good natured razzing for not warning me before putting this crap in my mouth and she said, "Some people really like it." What the hell? Who could like this? I predict it will be off the market in a heart-beat, never to be heard from again. Quite possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had. AVOID.

07-18-2011 02:10:31 | More by Noxious26
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

2.08/5  rDev -14%

Second review during my night in Niagara Falls. Reviews are brief compared to my usual style because they are reviewed from notes.

On-tap at Edgewaters Tap & Grill in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Reviewed from notes taken on 07-08-2011.

A: Looks identical to Molson’s Canadian Lager: pale straw yellow with a very thin white head. No lacing, cheap-looking, but with a slight brightness that is relatively attractive.

S: Wow, the nose is almost absent from this brew. A tiny bit of old yeasty breads make an appearance, and that's it. No hops, no fruits, nothing but a slight yeast hit. I honestly can’t really tell that it’s beer.

T: Banana is the most prominent flavor in the front end of the palate, mostly from an adjunct-laden wheat backdrop. Some breads quickly follow, showing a pretty lifeless yeast character. A tinge of cheap booze rounds off the underwhelming palate, allowing the aftertaste to settle on a sour note.

M: Fizzy and weak, so it goes down without much spirit. It’s not smooth in a mellow, mature way; it’s sad and comatose.

O: Nope. This thing is macro to its core – it has even less flavor than Molson’s Canadian. My brother summed it up best: after taking a sip of both Molson M and Molson Canadian, he said “Oh…is this the non-alcoholic kind?” Exactly.

07-11-2011 04:10:22 | More by BarryMFBurton
MasterSki

2.55/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at the LCBO - an utter ripoff whatever I paid for it. However the can is pretty cool looking, and the name of the beer is awesome. Served in a Jester King snifter late in the night.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thick collar and patches of haze but no lace. Transparent pale golden body. Looks pretty typical for the style.

S - Smells like a typical adjunct lager too - fruity, with sugar, corn, and honey malt character. Gets cloying quite quickly.

T - Again, sweet fruity notes, honey, corn, lightly toasted grains. Gets pretty sweet as it warms up.

M - Zesty carbonation that is active but pleasant - must be the much-vaunted "micro-carbonation". Surprisingly hefty for a sub-5% brew. Finishes sticky.

D - A welcome change of pace relative to the malt liquors, and a fairly decent adjunct lager. I doubt I'll ever purchase it again, but I'd take this over Canadian or Export at some Canadian dive bar.

07-10-2011 13:52:54 | More by MasterSki
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

1.38/5  rDev -43%

Bought for me, I chose it as it was new to me and I already suffered through a Coors Light. Can poured into a plastic beer cup.
A: Tight white head that disappears in mere moments. Clear pale straw body. What more could you ask for from a BMC lager?
S: Not much there except fr the sweetness I find so preveltant in adjunct lagers.
T: Grainy with a hint of corn with other unwanted vegetal flavours coming to the palate party. An underling metallic tone that is incredibly off-putting. Virtually undrinkable, and makes the Coors Light taste delicious by comparison.
M: Stunningly, less carbonation brings out more off flavors in a BMC and leaves you with a thinner less crisp and biting finish. Appalling.
O: I am not want to drink and review BMC lagers, although I will at times. I felt it necessary to write this review to emphasize the unpalatable and undrinkable nature of this beer. Microcarbonation = Macrocrapination!

06-26-2011 02:50:10 | More by kjyost
mintjellie

Ontario (Canada)

Pale straw in colour. Its white head is surprisingly big and very tight. I'm not surprised by it's poor retention and lack of lacing, however. Faint scents of grain and bread, and an even fainter banana note. What little flavour it has is beer-like in the most generic sense, with that same subdued banana as the aroma. It is clean though. Very clean. Feels thin and watery even for the style. A lot of the texture in most standard american lagers comes from the spritzy, prickly carbonation. Without it, there is almost nothing in terms of mouthfeel. If they wanted to make an even smoother lightly flavoured and light bodied mass produced lager, then they seem to have succeeded. It really does go down like a glass of ice-cold water.

06-22-2011 02:52:43 | More by mintjellie
thehyperduck

2.89/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This one was a freebie, and thank god for that because otherwise I doubt I'd ever have the pleasure of drinking this. I'm not sure what microcarbonation is, nor do I care.

Pours a brilliant golden colour with a half-finger head that dies down very quickly to almost nothing; not even a cap remains. The smell is mostly the same as Canadian or your average macro lager; corn and rice. If I use my imagination I can pick up some orange zest and grass.

Taste is smooth, but wholly uninteresting. Sweet grains and corniness - alright for the style, no serious off-flavors. I can't detect any hops. This reminds me of Canadian, surprise surprise. Carbonation is not quite as intense as in most macro lagers. I still have a feeling 'microcarbonated' just means less carbonated - but what can I say, I am skeptical by nature. Light-bodied and very easy to drink.

As someone said earlier, this beer only has 75 calories per bottle, which is only slightly more than their awful Canadian 67 line. If you are watching your weight, are a diehard Molson loyalist but don't want to drink 67, then this could be an option. I do not fall into that narrow category though, so I doubt I will get it again. Pretty much interchangeable with Canadian in terms of flavour and drinkability - and since this costs more, you might as well just stick with the regular instead of premium.

[Updated Oct. 31 2013]

I did the unthinkable and actually spent money on a can of this, but I am not feeling inclined to change the score much. This tastes okay - since it's basically just Canadian, which I have a soft spot for - but the whole 'microcarbonation' gimmick pretty much just amounts to flatness. It is extremely easy to drink quickly, but there are cheaper/tastier lagers that work equally well. No thanks.

Final Grade: 2.89, a C.

05-26-2011 18:12:10 | More by thehyperduck
liamt07

2.93/5  rDev +21.1%

Can from the Beer Store. 473ml into a pint glass - microcarbonation huh? Let's give this a whirl.

Pours a pale yellow, with a finger of white head that falls to the thinnest layer with some tight bubbles. This is super clear, but I detect some small bubbles rising in the body - microbubbles? Nose has some faint corn, mild DMS and a general sweetness but is very light. Nothing outstandingly offensive, and expected given the style. Taste has some general sweetness again, light corn, a touch of bitterness. Carbonation prickles the tongue a bit - is this the microcarbonation? Thin and watery feel. Not offensively bad, but relatively undifferentiated from any other macro adjunct lager out there, barring some interesting advertising.

05-24-2011 02:04:46 | More by liamt07
nickfl

2.58/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours with two fingers of white foam on top of a clear, straw yellow body with perfect clarity. The head dies down quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Light, grainy malt and little else.

T - Some bready malt up front with just a hint of herbal hop flavor. The flavor profile stays much the same through the middle with more light, slightly corny malt and just a touch of hop character. It finishes out with crisp grain and a very low level of bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - Pretty standard for an international light lager; clean, crisp, and thoroughly unremarkable. There is a touch of malt, but it is mostly clean and dry. There are hops, but only to the extent that is necessary to balance out the light sweetness. Completely unoffensive and unremarkable.

05-23-2011 05:11:25 | More by nickfl
korguy123

2.6/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Notes from 5/1/2011

A- Clear banana colored pour, two finger fluffy white head that disipates quickly. Carbonation started off fast and furious than sort of settles down to practically none.

S- Bananas and corn, grass, slight orange peel. Actually smells decent for a molson product.

T- Corn and grass, malts are muted. Clean aftertaste. Sweetness on the palette.

M- Light bodied, carbonation is minimal and what is there tickles the tongue slightly.

O- Typical Molson Canadian. Best served ice cold after cutting the grass on a scorching summer day. Not amazing, not offensive.

05-11-2011 02:23:12 | More by korguy123
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

1.65/5  rDev -31.8%

Thanks to Mike at Little Guy Liquor for the sample. From a 355 ml can. Pours out a clear straw colour, lots of carbonation action, head settles quickly to a thin creamy cap.

Sadly there was the funk of adjunct and chemicals as soon as I cracked it open to pour. Oh lovely.... Sweet corn and grainy malt on the nose, mild bready malt farther in the background. No hops being accentuated by those micro-bubbles. No hops at all.

After the first sip my impression is that Molson is attempting to produce the blandest beer available on the market. If microcarbonation is supposed to remove almost all traces of flavour, then perhaps this can be deemed a glowing success. I can't in good faith list this as a straight 1, as there's no serious offensive flavour in there; really, there's just an absolute lack of flavour. There's nothing to comment on really. Well, there is a mild chemical burn noticeable on the finish, where hops would normally be. And that certainly isn't hops going on there.

The mouthfeel has a bit of bite from whatever chemicals happen to be lurking in there, and has a texture akin to seltzer water, but overall comes across on the thin side.

I admit I don't get it. That is the hype around the "microcarbonation" going on in this beer. Actually I do get it. The company came up with a marketing buzzword to garner attention, yet in the end it's just a hollow straw man. If flavour frightens you then this beer was made especially for you. Otherwise don't believe the hype or get sucked in, there's nothing really here. If you're concerned about getting filled up too fast pass on the thought of a beer entirely and go have some tap water.

04-23-2011 22:33:42 | More by IronDjinn
uno99

2.98/5  rDev +23.1%

After seeing hundreds of billboards, trucks decal'd up, print ads and other marketing hype, I decided to splash out and buy a can of this -- worlds first "micro-carbonated" beer.

Served fridge cold, into a warm clean pint glass

A: For those wondering - micro-carbonation appears to be a process that makes the bubbles smaller, they actually appear to be undetectable to the human eye since the beer actually looks flat; take a sip however and there is indeed carbonation there.

The head dissipates quickly of course and leaves no lacing. the beer itself is fairly amber for a macro adjunct lager.

S: Its shite. smells a like a more malt forward "Canadian". At least it taste like something though. cheap 6 six-row barley and god knows what adjuncts. faint alcohol presence as the glass empties and the beer warms.

T: Lots of cooked corn and sort of a celery puree.

M: Sort of interesting here. I actually like the mouth feel. bubbles are undetectable on the tongue but the beer is certainly not dead feeling. Seems to make you far less gassy than the average over-carbonated macro shit...Unless it just comes out the other end?? I'll update later :S

Overall: One you should try for fun, and then move on to other stuff. Interesting science experiment. the Heston Blumenthal of beers.

04-16-2011 20:23:38 | More by uno99