Molson M - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: ZorPrime on 11-21-2009

Molson M, the world’s only Microcarbonated lager is proudly brewed with precision and consistency. An authentic, 4.9% lager with an exceptionally easy drinking taste, because details make the difference.

Years of innovation have enabled us to create this Microcarbonated lager based on Molson Coors’ proprietary process. This process allows us to brew Molson M to the ideal level of carbonation to deliver all the goodness of the hops and the subtle flavours created by the yeast during fermentation, delivering a lager with an exceptionally drinkable taste.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.06/5  rDev -56.2%

Bottle: Poured a pale bright yellow color ale with a small bubbly head with no retention or lacing. Aroma of corn and other crap adjunct is very light. Taste is also dominated by corn and crap adjunct thought very light and this ends up being very close to ginger ale. Not as bad as extremely bland.

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

Had a bottle of this at Tony Roma's recently. I thought, "What the heck, let's try out the new guy!" My biggest curiousity is, "What the hell does micro-carbonated mean?" Let's find out!

Clear and golden in colour. No head. What? No head and no carbonation streams. I guess the micro carbonation is so small I can't see it.

Aroma is grain and corn sweetness. This is beginning to look like a mistake.

Cooked veggies, grains, adjuncts (corn) with a hint of sweetness. Finish is wet and brief.

Mouthfeel is flat and syrupy. It's like a flat pop. Terrible.

Stay away. I believe "micro carbonated" means FLAT. When the waitress asked how it tasted I told her in no uncertain terms how bad it is and she said, "Ya, I don't like it either." So I gave her some good natured razzing for not warning me before putting this crap in my mouth and she said, "Some people really like it." What the hell? Who could like this? I predict it will be off the market in a heart-beat, never to be heard from again. Quite possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had. AVOID.

1.32/5  rDev -45.5%

Using a slick advertising campaign loaded with fancy words like "microcarbonated" Molson piqued my interest enough to purchase a pack of this stuff. Oh how I wish they'd have forgone the expensive marketing and "revolutionary" (and secretly proprietary) carbonation technique in favour of developing a beer which does not insult my mouth.

Poured into my trusty Vancouver Canucks ale glass.

Piss yellow, crystal clear, no head, no lacing, very sparse carbonation (is that what microcarbonation is? None?) I initially figured that this was a bad bottle, poured it out and the second was equal. wtf is this s#%t...

Smell is the best thing it has going for it, in that it actually smells like SOMETHING, an inoffensive sweet grainy smell. Not good though.

Taste is pretty lame, but not disgusting. Weak generic malts with a hint of old apples. No bitterness whatsoever. Meh.

This feels like a taste test of my homebrew before I bottle condition it (I hesitate to compare it to heavily to my homebrew tho, as my beer is actually not bad). Hardly carbonated, seems stale. Serve extra cold because as this warms it gets a but fumey.

This is one of the worst things I've ever had the displeasure of consuming. Avoid like plague infested lepers.

1.43/5  rDev -40.9%

Bought for me, I chose it as it was new to me and I already suffered through a Coors Light. Can poured into a plastic beer cup.
A: Tight white head that disappears in mere moments. Clear pale straw body. What more could you ask for from a BMC lager?
S: Not much there except fr the sweetness I find so preveltant in adjunct lagers.
T: Grainy with a hint of corn with other unwanted vegetal flavours coming to the palate party. An underling metallic tone that is incredibly off-putting. Virtually undrinkable, and makes the Coors Light taste delicious by comparison.
M: Stunningly, less carbonation brings out more off flavors in a BMC and leaves you with a thinner less crisp and biting finish. Appalling.
O: I am not want to drink and review BMC lagers, although I will at times. I felt it necessary to write this review to emphasize the unpalatable and undrinkable nature of this beer. Microcarbonation = Macrocrapination!

1.69/5  rDev -30.2%

Thanks to Mike at Little Guy Liquor for the sample. From a 355 ml can. Pours out a clear straw colour, lots of carbonation action, head settles quickly to a thin creamy cap.

Sadly there was the funk of adjunct and chemicals as soon as I cracked it open to pour. Oh lovely.... Sweet corn and grainy malt on the nose, mild bready malt farther in the background. No hops being accentuated by those micro-bubbles. No hops at all.

After the first sip my impression is that Molson is attempting to produce the blandest beer available on the market. If microcarbonation is supposed to remove almost all traces of flavour, then perhaps this can be deemed a glowing success. I can't in good faith list this as a straight 1, as there's no serious offensive flavour in there; really, there's just an absolute lack of flavour. There's nothing to comment on really. Well, there is a mild chemical burn noticeable on the finish, where hops would normally be. And that certainly isn't hops going on there.

The mouthfeel has a bit of bite from whatever chemicals happen to be lurking in there, and has a texture akin to seltzer water, but overall comes across on the thin side.

I admit I don't get it. That is the hype around the "microcarbonation" going on in this beer. Actually I do get it. The company came up with a marketing buzzword to garner attention, yet in the end it's just a hollow straw man. If flavour frightens you then this beer was made especially for you. Otherwise don't believe the hype or get sucked in, there's nothing really here. If you're concerned about getting filled up too fast pass on the thought of a beer entirely and go have some tap water.

1.77/5  rDev -26.9%

Had on tap at Toronto's Cask and Firkin. Served in a pint glass cool.

A-Golden clear yellow, light white head

T-Corn cereal veg aftertaste

D-Microfermentation? Really? Tastes like a regular Molson microcarbonated?

Sent from my iPod

1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

The commercials and advertising claims make Molson M out to be something quite unique - its appearance, however, suggests it's anything but special. Its pale straw colour and watery, clear complexion is predictable and ubiquitous. And for all this hype about carbonation, the beer has no head and the bubbles are spent within minutes!

The nose is saccharine sweet (like cotton candy) and smells of canned creamed corn. The only instance this bouquet is acceptable might be, perhaps, in the cheap jugs of sparkling white wine high-school students buy on prom night. A touch of roasty caramel malt is surprisingly noted but, sure enough, is found on the ingredients list.

Assuming, for a moment, that Molson M is "more gently" carbonated, this non-sense about "preserving all the goodness of the hops", well, that's pure hooey. For one, the beer is brewed without a trace of hops to begin with. Secondly, what do the bubbles have to do with bitterness or aroma? Carbonation was about all Molson lagers had going for them!

As result, the toning down of bubbles has led to a jacking up of the cloying, adjunct-ridden flavors of canned corn and soggy white bread. There's fewer bubbles to distract from them. The sips that taste of nothing are a welcomed departure from those that stick to the tongue like scotch tape and rip off in the aftertaste flavors of mildewy cardboard.

Big breweries rely on the fact that a fool and his money are easily parted - today I am that fool. The registered trademark "microcarbonation" sounded to me like the stupidest, most made-up pile of advertising garbage and now, having tried it, I can say for certain that it is. This product is fit for marketing classes, maybe, but not the beer fridge.

1.87/5  rDev -22.7%

I don't know what I was expecting from this beer. The commercials are nice, but come on. It's a Molson product. Can it really be that good? Well, let's find out. This beer pours your usual pale golden/yellow colour, with very little head to speak of. Smell is very light of hops, malts and a bit of spice. Hey, spice. Tasted a bit stale. Some malt flavour, some hops, but overall it tasted bland and stale. Mouthfeel is watery. Overall, I'd rather have Canadian. Or even Coors Light. This is an overrated beer that a huge producer is trying to put a quality spin on. Well, their is very little quality to be had.

1.89/5  rDev -21.9%

New Molson beer. On the can, it says Premium Lager... we'll see. Also new is that the beer is microcarbonated. No clue what they mean.

A: Pours pale yellow and very clear. Typical. There is actually a good head that is soap looking. Disappear quickly.
S: Nothing strong, mostly cereals, grains and corn.
T: Cereals dominated taste with light notes of corn.
M: Thin body.
D: One is 'nuff... a beer to drink to quench your thirst, but I wouldn't want more than one!

Sorry I tried to be positive somewhere... better than Molson Ex...

I dont know what is new from this beer...

I had this beer in a glass bottle. The actual bottle does not impress me, Molson should of designed a better bottle sticker, more creative than this...this beer is not even that carbonated, nothing like a bottle of Perrier! Would not recommend this a friend!

2.01/5  rDev -16.9%

Received this free with the purchase of a wine at our local grocery store.

Poured from a 710ml. can.

Appearance: A very pale gold body with a bubbling white head and a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Some faint fruit and adjuncts/corn. Light sulfur.

Taste: Mild fruit, stale flavor and nothing else really. Very bland.

Mouthfeel: Marginally better as it is smooth but very watery and lifeless.

Overall: Just enough for a review. Not worth the time.

2.08/5  rDev -14%

Second review during my night in Niagara Falls. Reviews are brief compared to my usual style because they are reviewed from notes.

On-tap at Edgewaters Tap & Grill in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Reviewed from notes taken on 07-08-2011.

A: Looks identical to Molson’s Canadian Lager: pale straw yellow with a very thin white head. No lacing, cheap-looking, but with a slight brightness that is relatively attractive.

S: Wow, the nose is almost absent from this brew. A tiny bit of old yeasty breads make an appearance, and that's it. No hops, no fruits, nothing but a slight yeast hit. I honestly can’t really tell that it’s beer.

T: Banana is the most prominent flavor in the front end of the palate, mostly from an adjunct-laden wheat backdrop. Some breads quickly follow, showing a pretty lifeless yeast character. A tinge of cheap booze rounds off the underwhelming palate, allowing the aftertaste to settle on a sour note.

M: Fizzy and weak, so it goes down without much spirit. It’s not smooth in a mellow, mature way; it’s sad and comatose.

O: Nope. This thing is macro to its core – it has even less flavor than Molson’s Canadian. My brother summed it up best: after taking a sip of both Molson M and Molson Canadian, he said “Oh…is this the non-alcoholic kind?” Exactly.

2.08/5  rDev -14%

A - Pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet corn and buttered bread.

T - Much like the scent with the sweet corn dominating, and rather overpowering. Bready malts linger on the palette..

M - Is microcarbonated another word for watery? Not impressed.

O - Tastes like a watery Canadian. I wouldn't turn one down, but I would prefer a Rickard's over this.

2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

I bought this completely out of curiosity of what "microcarbonated" means. I saw this on tap a couple weeks ago for $7.50 a pint, which was too expensive, but it was just $2.50 or so for a can at the LCBO. Pours a clear yellow colour with thick white head. Head dissipates within a minute or so, but there is still a thin layer of head with some mild lacing. Smells of faint grains, but not much else. No real bitterness or sweetness, just watery. Mouthfeel is nicer than typical Molson lagers in that it isn't overly carbonated. I suppose the microcarbonation does help the mouthfeel match the taste of water. So I guess it has that going for it, which is nice.

2.19/5  rDev -9.5%

Molson M is one of those weird beers that people either really love or really hate. I'm the latter. The taste is not the problem here, it tastes like plain old Canadian, but this beer is flat is anything I've ever had - the "microcarbonation" gimmick is a joke.

Basically if you take Canadian, let it sit for a day, then drink it, you will have this. Ugh.

2.21/5  rDev -8.7%

A buddy had these at a party a couple weeks back, so I gave one a shot.

It poured nicely, clear golden colour, better appearance wise than a Canadian - nothing overly special really but not a bad looking beer.

Smells like a Canadian macro beer, smells like Molson Canadian actually, not a ton so far to differentiate itself.

Taste is a bit waterry, still has the molson taste but almost tastes like a light beer not a 4.9%

Mouthfeel isn't bad at all, smooth with some carbonation, feels like a draught beer out of a bottle, which I guess is the idea.

Overall, falls somewhere between Molson Canadian and Miller Genuine Draft, with the taste of Canadian and look and feel of an MGD. I won't go out of my way to find this.

2.28/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: It has a clear pale yellow colour to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and has no lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, grains and nothing else.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bready/grainy malt taste to it with alot of corn.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/med carbonation with a thin feel.

Drinkability: It's a smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas.

2.3/5  rDev -5%

A recent gift from some of my beer friends who know about my ongoing passion for CANs and The CANQuest (TM). Many thanks, fellows!

How curious - "M" for "microcarbonated", whatever that means. Also interesting is that it came in a 710 ml CAN, which is a volume that I do not remember seeing before.

An inauspicious start with regard to the head - I had an equipment failure with my chair just after my initial pour and while I had a finger of bone-white head initially, by the time I corrected the problem, the head had dissipated. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was pretty standard - a lager sweetness overlain by all kinds of adjuncts. Nothing terribly new or exciting in that respect. I CAN't say much for the taste, since it was about as bland as processed AmeriCAN cheese. What a whole buncha nuthin'! Microcarbonated? Microtaste! Finish evidenced a little bit of the style's characteristic taste, possibly because I allowed it to roll around in my mouth before swallowing. Generally, though, it was simply bland. Overall, "M" did NOT stand for "Mmmmm, good."

2.3/5  rDev -5%

Micro-Carbonated lol. What the hell sort of marketing ploy is that. Is Molson trying to recreate the 'dry' or 'ice' beer anew.

Looks like just about every molson lager. Light pale yellow, bone white head, next to no lacing. Lot's of tiny bubbles. Maybe that's the magic micro carbonation

Faint cereals and adjunct aroma. Nothing newsworthy here.

Taste. Meh. Stronger than normal cereal/adjunct flavour which isn't a good thing. Finish is sticky and slightly dry.

Not going to mince words. It feels like flat beer. Meh once again

It was a freebie tyvm, but I now know mico carbonation means little to no carbonation. Way to go Molson. Should b a smash hit with the 'my beer is too fizzy' crowd.

2.38/5  rDev -1.7%

golden straw color with small headfoam, small carbonation, clear and light appearance

smell diluted beer

taste is very light on the malt side, this brew taste like vegetables kind of soup, and this little molson taste,wich is not interesting in this case.

mouthfeel is light, very watery

drinkability is not the best

2.43/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

473ml can, one format among many at the corner liquor store recently - do you really need singles, 6, 12 and 18 packs? The 'Microcarbonated' marketing shtick gets even better with the half-assed depiction of trailing bubbles on the label.

This beer pours a clear, very pale, yet bright golden straw colour, with two fingers of tight, thinly foamy, and weakly bubbly off-white head, which leaves some low riser lace around the glass as it quickly settles.

It smells of sweet corn and some stale butter - very much like popcorn discovered uneaten a few days hence. The taste is plain, underwhelming in multiple senses cereal grain, a more specific corn grist, a touch of diacetyl, and only an echo of drying, 'why oh why me' nondescript hops.

The carbonation is practically non-existent, so say 'micro' if you must (hey, finally, truth in advertising!), the body a middling light weight, and more watery than this implies (my word machine unexpectedly failing). It finishes off-dry, some pithy cereal grain standing alone.

While this does taste a hell of a lot like flat Canadian, the lack of skunk and better than expected cereal (the faint praise machine is firing on all cylinders!) character make it drinkable enough, if not particularly enjoyable. I gather this means we'll be seeing it everywhere soon, a la Rickard's White back in ought-7...mmm..hmm.

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing (large bubbles) and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, corn, malts, light hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains, and lots of corn. There is also a light amount of hops and an apple juice sweetness. It finishes with a grainy corn aftertaste with a slight bitterness.

Overall – It really tastes like a light beer. It would make a decent lawn mower beer.. but I don't understand why they market it as some sort of amazing high end beer. Anyways, I wouldn't buy it again, but it was drinkable.

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Expectations were pretty low, but it's a free can so I couldn't just walk away...

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Taste is very much of a typical "Euro macro lager", but the corn presence isn't as overwhelming as I expected. Little sweetness and perhaps even a Saarz hop or two? Definitely bland, but better than I'd hoped. The "micro carbonation" has led to very little head, but still some pretty normal looking bubbles. Thin golden colour isn't eye catching.

A typical European macro lager - I haven't tried a Stella in a dog's age, but I think it would taste similar. Not my kind of beer, but I'm certain there are worse options out there.

2.51/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Looks like a pretty standard macro lager...coloring is yellowish dry grass and of course is very clear. The head is cloud white in color, starts out very nice looking, but fizzles out quickly to a half-assed layer on top. Carbonation looks to be about right, with lots! Lacing is modest but there is some hanging onto the side of my glass, slowly sliding back into the beer.

S- Not much to report here....smells similar to Canadian, but a little better. Adjuncty cereal grains and maybe just a little hint of hop bitterness but underwhelming overall...not because it smells bad, but because Molson forgot to include any aroma of note.

T- Tastes much like it smells....very bland. Some boiled corn sweetness, maybe some rice grits to keep it clean tasting and some slightly metallic type finish....not offensive but it's vague and underwhelming. There's a sweet tasting flavor that lingers on the palate for awhile after the swallow...reminds me of the aftertaste of a sweet bread minutes after eating it.

M- I have to say that the body is a little better than watery thin, and with plenty of "micro-carbonation" to scrub the palate clean and keep this one crisp and refreshing...so I gave this area a little better than average for the rating.

D- I'm not really a fan of Molson branded product, and this one doesn't really scream 'different'...I agree with a previous review and think the different Molson varieties come from the same tank. This really seems like a Canadian clone....perhaps just a smidge better b/c the bad flavors are hidden better by the massive CO2. I guess I could drink this if my options are limited but would pass otherwise.

2.53/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500ml can poured into pint glass feb25 2011

A clear straw yellow with plenty of bubbles but not much for foam or lace

S a little sweet corn and not much else

T some sour lemon and some sweet grains, not much happening here

M I don't know what microcarbonated means because this has plenty of bubbles and no body

D sometimes the less flavor something has the easier it is to drink, not awful but I won't buy it again

not sure what gimmick this is supposed to have going for it but it failed to leave a mark on me
try again Molson