Molson M - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: ZorPrime on 11-21-2009

Molson M, the world’s only Microcarbonated lager is proudly brewed with precision and consistency. An authentic, 4.9% lager with an exceptionally easy drinking taste, because details make the difference.

Years of innovation have enabled us to create this Microcarbonated lager based on Molson Coors’ proprietary process. This process allows us to brew Molson M to the ideal level of carbonation to deliver all the goodness of the hops and the subtle flavours created by the yeast during fermentation, delivering a lager with an exceptionally drinkable taste.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 96 | Reviews: 48
1.06/5  rDev -56.2%

Bottle: Poured a pale bright yellow color ale with a small bubbly head with no retention or lacing. Aroma of corn and other crap adjunct is very light. Taste is also dominated by corn and crap adjunct thought very light and this ends up being very close to ginger ale. Not as bad as extremely bland.

2.43/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

473ml can, one format among many at the corner liquor store recently - do you really need singles, 6, 12 and 18 packs? The 'Microcarbonated' marketing shtick gets even better with the half-assed depiction of trailing bubbles on the label.

This beer pours a clear, very pale, yet bright golden straw colour, with two fingers of tight, thinly foamy, and weakly bubbly off-white head, which leaves some low riser lace around the glass as it quickly settles.

It smells of sweet corn and some stale butter - very much like popcorn discovered uneaten a few days hence. The taste is plain, underwhelming in multiple senses cereal grain, a more specific corn grist, a touch of diacetyl, and only an echo of drying, 'why oh why me' nondescript hops.

The carbonation is practically non-existent, so say 'micro' if you must (hey, finally, truth in advertising!), the body a middling light weight, and more watery than this implies (my word machine unexpectedly failing). It finishes off-dry, some pithy cereal grain standing alone.

While this does taste a hell of a lot like flat Canadian, the lack of skunk and better than expected cereal (the faint praise machine is firing on all cylinders!) character make it drinkable enough, if not particularly enjoyable. I gather this means we'll be seeing it everywhere soon, a la Rickard's White back in ought-7...mmm..hmm.

2.58/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours with two fingers of white foam on top of a clear, straw yellow body with perfect clarity. The head dies down quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Light, grainy malt and little else.

T - Some bready malt up front with just a hint of herbal hop flavor. The flavor profile stays much the same through the middle with more light, slightly corny malt and just a touch of hop character. It finishes out with crisp grain and a very low level of bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - Pretty standard for an international light lager; clean, crisp, and thoroughly unremarkable. There is a touch of malt, but it is mostly clean and dry. There are hops, but only to the extent that is necessary to balance out the light sweetness. Completely unoffensive and unremarkable.

2.55/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at the LCBO - an utter ripoff whatever I paid for it. However the can is pretty cool looking, and the name of the beer is awesome. Served in a Jester King snifter late in the night.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thick collar and patches of haze but no lace. Transparent pale golden body. Looks pretty typical for the style.

S - Smells like a typical adjunct lager too - fruity, with sugar, corn, and honey malt character. Gets cloying quite quickly.

T - Again, sweet fruity notes, honey, corn, lightly toasted grains. Gets pretty sweet as it warms up.

M - Zesty carbonation that is active but pleasant - must be the much-vaunted "micro-carbonation". Surprisingly hefty for a sub-5% brew. Finishes sticky.

D - A welcome change of pace relative to the malt liquors, and a fairly decent adjunct lager. I doubt I'll ever purchase it again, but I'd take this over Canadian or Export at some Canadian dive bar.

2.3/5  rDev -5%

A recent gift from some of my beer friends who know about my ongoing passion for CANs and The CANQuest (TM). Many thanks, fellows!

How curious - "M" for "microcarbonated", whatever that means. Also interesting is that it came in a 710 ml CAN, which is a volume that I do not remember seeing before.

An inauspicious start with regard to the head - I had an equipment failure with my chair just after my initial pour and while I had a finger of bone-white head initially, by the time I corrected the problem, the head had dissipated. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was pretty standard - a lager sweetness overlain by all kinds of adjuncts. Nothing terribly new or exciting in that respect. I CAN't say much for the taste, since it was about as bland as processed AmeriCAN cheese. What a whole buncha nuthin'! Microcarbonated? Microtaste! Finish evidenced a little bit of the style's characteristic taste, possibly because I allowed it to roll around in my mouth before swallowing. Generally, though, it was simply bland. Overall, "M" did NOT stand for "Mmmmm, good."

1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

The commercials and advertising claims make Molson M out to be something quite unique - its appearance, however, suggests it's anything but special. Its pale straw colour and watery, clear complexion is predictable and ubiquitous. And for all this hype about carbonation, the beer has no head and the bubbles are spent within minutes!

The nose is saccharine sweet (like cotton candy) and smells of canned creamed corn. The only instance this bouquet is acceptable might be, perhaps, in the cheap jugs of sparkling white wine high-school students buy on prom night. A touch of roasty caramel malt is surprisingly noted but, sure enough, is found on the ingredients list.

Assuming, for a moment, that Molson M is "more gently" carbonated, this non-sense about "preserving all the goodness of the hops", well, that's pure hooey. For one, the beer is brewed without a trace of hops to begin with. Secondly, what do the bubbles have to do with bitterness or aroma? Carbonation was about all Molson lagers had going for them!

As result, the toning down of bubbles has led to a jacking up of the cloying, adjunct-ridden flavors of canned corn and soggy white bread. There's fewer bubbles to distract from them. The sips that taste of nothing are a welcomed departure from those that stick to the tongue like scotch tape and rip off in the aftertaste flavors of mildewy cardboard.

Big breweries rely on the fact that a fool and his money are easily parted - today I am that fool. The registered trademark "microcarbonation" sounded to me like the stupidest, most made-up pile of advertising garbage and now, having tried it, I can say for certain that it is. This product is fit for marketing classes, maybe, but not the beer fridge.

2.92/5  rDev +20.7%

Can from the Beer Store. 473ml into a pint glass - microcarbonation huh? Let's give this a whirl.

Pours a pale yellow, with a finger of white head that falls to the thinnest layer with some tight bubbles. This is super clear, but I detect some small bubbles rising in the body - microbubbles? Nose has some faint corn, mild DMS and a general sweetness but is very light. Nothing outstandingly offensive, and expected given the style. Taste has some general sweetness again, light corn, a touch of bitterness. Carbonation prickles the tongue a bit - is this the microcarbonation? Thin and watery feel. Not offensively bad, but relatively undifferentiated from any other macro adjunct lager out there, barring some interesting advertising.

2.53/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500ml can poured into pint glass feb25 2011

A clear straw yellow with plenty of bubbles but not much for foam or lace

S a little sweet corn and not much else

T some sour lemon and some sweet grains, not much happening here

M I don't know what microcarbonated means because this has plenty of bubbles and no body

D sometimes the less flavor something has the easier it is to drink, not awful but I won't buy it again

not sure what gimmick this is supposed to have going for it but it failed to leave a mark on me
try again Molson

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing (large bubbles) and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, corn, malts, light hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains, and lots of corn. There is also a light amount of hops and an apple juice sweetness. It finishes with a grainy corn aftertaste with a slight bitterness.

Overall – It really tastes like a light beer. It would make a decent lawn mower beer.. but I don't understand why they market it as some sort of amazing high end beer. Anyways, I wouldn't buy it again, but it was drinkable.

2.08/5  rDev -14%

A - Pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet corn and buttered bread.

T - Much like the scent with the sweet corn dominating, and rather overpowering. Bready malts linger on the palette..

M - Is microcarbonated another word for watery? Not impressed.

O - Tastes like a watery Canadian. I wouldn't turn one down, but I would prefer a Rickard's over this.

2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

I bought this completely out of curiosity of what "microcarbonated" means. I saw this on tap a couple weeks ago for $7.50 a pint, which was too expensive, but it was just $2.50 or so for a can at the LCBO. Pours a clear yellow colour with thick white head. Head dissipates within a minute or so, but there is still a thin layer of head with some mild lacing. Smells of faint grains, but not much else. No real bitterness or sweetness, just watery. Mouthfeel is nicer than typical Molson lagers in that it isn't overly carbonated. I suppose the microcarbonation does help the mouthfeel match the taste of water. So I guess it has that going for it, which is nice.

1.69/5  rDev -30.2%

Thanks to Mike at Little Guy Liquor for the sample. From a 355 ml can. Pours out a clear straw colour, lots of carbonation action, head settles quickly to a thin creamy cap.

Sadly there was the funk of adjunct and chemicals as soon as I cracked it open to pour. Oh lovely.... Sweet corn and grainy malt on the nose, mild bready malt farther in the background. No hops being accentuated by those micro-bubbles. No hops at all.

After the first sip my impression is that Molson is attempting to produce the blandest beer available on the market. If microcarbonation is supposed to remove almost all traces of flavour, then perhaps this can be deemed a glowing success. I can't in good faith list this as a straight 1, as there's no serious offensive flavour in there; really, there's just an absolute lack of flavour. There's nothing to comment on really. Well, there is a mild chemical burn noticeable on the finish, where hops would normally be. And that certainly isn't hops going on there.

The mouthfeel has a bit of bite from whatever chemicals happen to be lurking in there, and has a texture akin to seltzer water, but overall comes across on the thin side.

I admit I don't get it. That is the hype around the "microcarbonation" going on in this beer. Actually I do get it. The company came up with a marketing buzzword to garner attention, yet in the end it's just a hollow straw man. If flavour frightens you then this beer was made especially for you. Otherwise don't believe the hype or get sucked in, there's nothing really here. If you're concerned about getting filled up too fast pass on the thought of a beer entirely and go have some tap water.

2.01/5  rDev -16.9%

Received this free with the purchase of a wine at our local grocery store.

Poured from a 710ml. can.

Appearance: A very pale gold body with a bubbling white head and a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Some faint fruit and adjuncts/corn. Light sulfur.

Taste: Mild fruit, stale flavor and nothing else really. Very bland.

Mouthfeel: Marginally better as it is smooth but very watery and lifeless.

Overall: Just enough for a review. Not worth the time.

2.28/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: It has a clear pale yellow colour to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and has no lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, grains and nothing else.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bready/grainy malt taste to it with alot of corn.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/med carbonation with a thin feel.

Drinkability: It's a smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas.

2.87/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This one was a freebie, and thank god for that because otherwise I doubt I'd ever have the pleasure of drinking this. I'm not sure what microcarbonation is, nor do I care.

Pours a brilliant golden colour with a half-finger head that dies down very quickly to almost nothing; not even a cap remains. The smell is mostly the same as Canadian or your average macro lager; corn and rice. If I use my imagination I can pick up some orange zest and grass.

Taste is smooth, but wholly uninteresting. Sweet grains and corniness - alright for the style, no serious off-flavors. I can't detect any hops. This reminds me of Canadian, surprise surprise. Carbonation is not quite as intense as in most macro lagers. I still have a feeling 'microcarbonated' just means less carbonated - but what can I say, I am skeptical by nature. Light-bodied and very easy to drink.

As someone said earlier, this beer only has 75 calories per bottle, which is only slightly more than their awful Canadian 67 line. If you are watching your weight, are a diehard Molson loyalist but don't want to drink 67, then this could be an option. I do not fall into that narrow category though, so I doubt I will get it again. Pretty much interchangeable with Canadian in terms of flavour and drinkability - and since this costs more, you might as well just stick with the regular instead of premium.

[Updated Oct. 31 2013]

I did the unthinkable and actually spent money on a can of this, but I am not feeling inclined to change the score much. This tastes okay - since it's basically just Canadian, which I have a soft spot for - but the whole 'microcarbonation' gimmick pretty much just amounts to flatness. It is extremely easy to drink quickly, but there are cheaper/tastier lagers that work equally well. No thanks.

Final Grade: 2.89, a C.

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Expectations were pretty low, but it's a free can so I couldn't just walk away...

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Taste is very much of a typical "Euro macro lager", but the corn presence isn't as overwhelming as I expected. Little sweetness and perhaps even a Saarz hop or two? Definitely bland, but better than I'd hoped. The "micro carbonation" has led to very little head, but still some pretty normal looking bubbles. Thin golden colour isn't eye catching.

A typical European macro lager - I haven't tried a Stella in a dog's age, but I think it would taste similar. Not my kind of beer, but I'm certain there are worse options out there.

1.43/5  rDev -40.9%

Bought for me, I chose it as it was new to me and I already suffered through a Coors Light. Can poured into a plastic beer cup.
A: Tight white head that disappears in mere moments. Clear pale straw body. What more could you ask for from a BMC lager?
S: Not much there except fr the sweetness I find so preveltant in adjunct lagers.
T: Grainy with a hint of corn with other unwanted vegetal flavours coming to the palate party. An underling metallic tone that is incredibly off-putting. Virtually undrinkable, and makes the Coors Light taste delicious by comparison.
M: Stunningly, less carbonation brings out more off flavors in a BMC and leaves you with a thinner less crisp and biting finish. Appalling.
O: I am not want to drink and review BMC lagers, although I will at times. I felt it necessary to write this review to emphasize the unpalatable and undrinkable nature of this beer. Microcarbonation = Macrocrapination!

2.08/5  rDev -14%

Second review during my night in Niagara Falls. Reviews are brief compared to my usual style because they are reviewed from notes.

On-tap at Edgewaters Tap & Grill in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Reviewed from notes taken on 07-08-2011.

A: Looks identical to Molson’s Canadian Lager: pale straw yellow with a very thin white head. No lacing, cheap-looking, but with a slight brightness that is relatively attractive.

S: Wow, the nose is almost absent from this brew. A tiny bit of old yeasty breads make an appearance, and that's it. No hops, no fruits, nothing but a slight yeast hit. I honestly can’t really tell that it’s beer.

T: Banana is the most prominent flavor in the front end of the palate, mostly from an adjunct-laden wheat backdrop. Some breads quickly follow, showing a pretty lifeless yeast character. A tinge of cheap booze rounds off the underwhelming palate, allowing the aftertaste to settle on a sour note.

M: Fizzy and weak, so it goes down without much spirit. It’s not smooth in a mellow, mature way; it’s sad and comatose.

O: Nope. This thing is macro to its core – it has even less flavor than Molson’s Canadian. My brother summed it up best: after taking a sip of both Molson M and Molson Canadian, he said “Oh…is this the non-alcoholic kind?” Exactly.

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Re- reviewing this beer after probably about a year since I last tried it. 473 ml can purchased from The Beer Store for $2 (with returns money). Served cold into a glass.

Appearance - Clear golden color, that isn't pale, but it's not really a rich golden color either. A few tiny bubbles make their ascent to the surface. About a finger of frothy looking white head was poured (good) but it didn't last long (bad). Minimal soapy residue on top lingers for the duration.

Smell - There is a lot of sweet corn aroma but nothing vegetative that would be offputting, nor anything metallic.

Taste - Sweet at first then moves to dried cereal grains in flavor. Absolutely no bitterness. Strange combination actually kind of works for me personally, but it's hard to say why

Mouthfeel - A little on the flat side and thin bodied. Lacks the crispness that you would can find even with Canadian.

Overall - It's like Canadian with less crispness and flatter otherwise the two beers are pretty similar. i was happy to revisit this since it's been awhile, but this is a reminder that there's a reason why if I'm going for adjunct lagers, Molson Canadian is the way to go.

2.61/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Notes from 5/1/2011

A- Clear banana colored pour, two finger fluffy white head that disipates quickly. Carbonation started off fast and furious than sort of settles down to practically none.

S- Bananas and corn, grass, slight orange peel. Actually smells decent for a molson product.

T- Corn and grass, malts are muted. Clean aftertaste. Sweetness on the palette.

M- Light bodied, carbonation is minimal and what is there tickles the tongue slightly.

O- Typical Molson Canadian. Best served ice cold after cutting the grass on a scorching summer day. Not amazing, not offensive.

2.3/5  rDev -5%

Micro-Carbonated lol. What the hell sort of marketing ploy is that. Is Molson trying to recreate the 'dry' or 'ice' beer anew.

Looks like just about every molson lager. Light pale yellow, bone white head, next to no lacing. Lot's of tiny bubbles. Maybe that's the magic micro carbonation

Faint cereals and adjunct aroma. Nothing newsworthy here.

Taste. Meh. Stronger than normal cereal/adjunct flavour which isn't a good thing. Finish is sticky and slightly dry.

Not going to mince words. It feels like flat beer. Meh once again

It was a freebie tyvm, but I now know mico carbonation means little to no carbonation. Way to go Molson. Should b a smash hit with the 'my beer is too fizzy' crowd.

1.77/5  rDev -26.9%

Had on tap at Toronto's Cask and Firkin. Served in a pint glass cool.

A-Golden clear yellow, light white head

S-Nothing

T-Corn cereal veg aftertaste

M-Light

D-Microfermentation? Really? Tastes like a regular Molson microcarbonated?

Sent from my iPod

1.89/5  rDev -21.9%

New Molson beer. On the can, it says Premium Lager... we'll see. Also new is that the beer is microcarbonated. No clue what they mean.

A: Pours pale yellow and very clear. Typical. There is actually a good head that is soap looking. Disappear quickly.
S: Nothing strong, mostly cereals, grains and corn.
T: Cereals dominated taste with light notes of corn.
M: Thin body.
D: One is 'nuff... a beer to drink to quench your thirst, but I wouldn't want more than one!

Sorry I tried to be positive somewhere... better than Molson Ex...

I dont know what is new from this beer...

3.01/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Purchased at The Beer Store for around $2.20 for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens ok and pours a white head that is one in 10sec. Clear

S- Pretty good considering

T- Very good for a North American beer

F- Ok at best

O- As a Mechanical Engineer I would have to be a complete moron to think that there are micro bubbles in water for some reason when surface tension and the laws of physics dictate otherwise. Guess Molson thinks people in large are stupid.

Food Pairing

This ok beer went well with... anything you would pair a Bud with.

Enjoy

2.8/5  rDev +15.7%

I hate that my curiosity over this gimmick made me surrender $2.25 to The Beer Store. But I felt I owed it to myself to see if smaller carbonation meant bigger taste. I hate to give away the plot this early, but guess what my friends? It does not.

There's definitely a slick, upscale air about the packaging. And it's even signed by John Molson. Who died 175 years ago. It's cool that he didn't let a little thing like death stand in the way of his endorsing this product.

Anyway, pours a very clear golden color yielding carbonation that looks normal size. Maybe there is subcarbonation that is too small for the naked eye? Yeah. That's probably it.

The aroma is mild sweet grains.

Microhopped more like it. It tastes weak and watery, with a light sweet biscuity, grainy malt cut by just the merest suggestion of hop bitterness. Clean taste. Tastes like a watered down Canadian with a splash of apple juice.

This is actually a pleasant enough beer. It's lacking any real bitterness or depth of flavour or character, but it's incredibly inoffensive and drinkable for what it is.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »