Molson M - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: ZorPrime on 11-21-2009

Molson M, the world’s only Microcarbonated lager is proudly brewed with precision and consistency. An authentic, 4.9% lager with an exceptionally easy drinking taste, because details make the difference.

Years of innovation have enabled us to create this Microcarbonated lager based on Molson Coors’ proprietary process. This process allows us to brew Molson M to the ideal level of carbonation to deliver all the goodness of the hops and the subtle flavours created by the yeast during fermentation, delivering a lager with an exceptionally drinkable taste.

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

3.05/5  rDev +26%

Decent head at first pour but settles very quickly.

Smell: Very light & mild hop aroma. Other than that there is not much to it.

Taste: Very Light bodied but clean and smooth. Slight and I mean a slight hop taste. Not much taste or flavor. Very similar to Molson Canadian but less carbonation it seems.An okay beer but nothing to write home about. Prefer Molson Canadian a bit more.

2.01/5  rDev -16.9%

Received this free with the purchase of a wine at our local grocery store.

Poured from a 710ml. can.

Appearance: A very pale gold body with a bubbling white head and a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Some faint fruit and adjuncts/corn. Light sulfur.

Taste: Mild fruit, stale flavor and nothing else really. Very bland.

Mouthfeel: Marginally better as it is smooth but very watery and lifeless.

Overall: Just enough for a review. Not worth the time.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Expectations were pretty low, but it's a free can so I couldn't just walk away...

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Taste is very much of a typical "Euro macro lager", but the corn presence isn't as overwhelming as I expected. Little sweetness and perhaps even a Saarz hop or two? Definitely bland, but better than I'd hoped. The "micro carbonation" has led to very little head, but still some pretty normal looking bubbles. Thin golden colour isn't eye catching.

A typical European macro lager - I haven't tried a Stella in a dog's age, but I think it would taste similar. Not my kind of beer, but I'm certain there are worse options out there.

2.21/5  rDev -8.7%

A buddy had these at a party a couple weeks back, so I gave one a shot.

It poured nicely, clear golden colour, better appearance wise than a Canadian - nothing overly special really but not a bad looking beer.

Smells like a Canadian macro beer, smells like Molson Canadian actually, not a ton so far to differentiate itself.

Taste is a bit waterry, still has the molson taste but almost tastes like a light beer not a 4.9%

Mouthfeel isn't bad at all, smooth with some carbonation, feels like a draught beer out of a bottle, which I guess is the idea.

Overall, falls somewhere between Molson Canadian and Miller Genuine Draft, with the taste of Canadian and look and feel of an MGD. I won't go out of my way to find this.

2.08/5  rDev -14%

A - Pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet corn and buttered bread.

T - Much like the scent with the sweet corn dominating, and rather overpowering. Bready malts linger on the palette..

M - Is microcarbonated another word for watery? Not impressed.

O - Tastes like a watery Canadian. I wouldn't turn one down, but I would prefer a Rickard's over this.

2.28/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: It has a clear pale yellow colour to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and has no lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, grains and nothing else.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bready/grainy malt taste to it with alot of corn.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/med carbonation with a thin feel.

Drinkability: It's a smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas.

1.77/5  rDev -26.9%

Had on tap at Toronto's Cask and Firkin. Served in a pint glass cool.

A-Golden clear yellow, light white head

S-Nothing

T-Corn cereal veg aftertaste

M-Light

D-Microfermentation? Really? Tastes like a regular Molson microcarbonated?

Sent from my iPod

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing (large bubbles) and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, corn, malts, light hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains, and lots of corn. There is also a light amount of hops and an apple juice sweetness. It finishes with a grainy corn aftertaste with a slight bitterness.

Overall – It really tastes like a light beer. It would make a decent lawn mower beer.. but I don't understand why they market it as some sort of amazing high end beer. Anyways, I wouldn't buy it again, but it was drinkable.

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

Had a bottle of this at Tony Roma's recently. I thought, "What the heck, let's try out the new guy!" My biggest curiousity is, "What the hell does micro-carbonated mean?" Let's find out!

Clear and golden in colour. No head. What? No head and no carbonation streams. I guess the micro carbonation is so small I can't see it.

Aroma is grain and corn sweetness. This is beginning to look like a mistake.

Cooked veggies, grains, adjuncts (corn) with a hint of sweetness. Finish is wet and brief.

Mouthfeel is flat and syrupy. It's like a flat pop. Terrible.

Stay away. I believe "micro carbonated" means FLAT. When the waitress asked how it tasted I told her in no uncertain terms how bad it is and she said, "Ya, I don't like it either." So I gave her some good natured razzing for not warning me before putting this crap in my mouth and she said, "Some people really like it." What the hell? Who could like this? I predict it will be off the market in a heart-beat, never to be heard from again. Quite possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had. AVOID.

2.08/5  rDev -14%

Second review during my night in Niagara Falls. Reviews are brief compared to my usual style because they are reviewed from notes.

On-tap at Edgewaters Tap & Grill in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Reviewed from notes taken on 07-08-2011.

A: Looks identical to Molson’s Canadian Lager: pale straw yellow with a very thin white head. No lacing, cheap-looking, but with a slight brightness that is relatively attractive.

S: Wow, the nose is almost absent from this brew. A tiny bit of old yeasty breads make an appearance, and that's it. No hops, no fruits, nothing but a slight yeast hit. I honestly can’t really tell that it’s beer.

T: Banana is the most prominent flavor in the front end of the palate, mostly from an adjunct-laden wheat backdrop. Some breads quickly follow, showing a pretty lifeless yeast character. A tinge of cheap booze rounds off the underwhelming palate, allowing the aftertaste to settle on a sour note.

M: Fizzy and weak, so it goes down without much spirit. It’s not smooth in a mellow, mature way; it’s sad and comatose.

O: Nope. This thing is macro to its core – it has even less flavor than Molson’s Canadian. My brother summed it up best: after taking a sip of both Molson M and Molson Canadian, he said “Oh…is this the non-alcoholic kind?” Exactly.

2.55/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at the LCBO - an utter ripoff whatever I paid for it. However the can is pretty cool looking, and the name of the beer is awesome. Served in a Jester King snifter late in the night.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thick collar and patches of haze but no lace. Transparent pale golden body. Looks pretty typical for the style.

S - Smells like a typical adjunct lager too - fruity, with sugar, corn, and honey malt character. Gets cloying quite quickly.

T - Again, sweet fruity notes, honey, corn, lightly toasted grains. Gets pretty sweet as it warms up.

M - Zesty carbonation that is active but pleasant - must be the much-vaunted "micro-carbonation". Surprisingly hefty for a sub-5% brew. Finishes sticky.

D - A welcome change of pace relative to the malt liquors, and a fairly decent adjunct lager. I doubt I'll ever purchase it again, but I'd take this over Canadian or Export at some Canadian dive bar.

1.43/5  rDev -40.9%

Bought for me, I chose it as it was new to me and I already suffered through a Coors Light. Can poured into a plastic beer cup.
A: Tight white head that disappears in mere moments. Clear pale straw body. What more could you ask for from a BMC lager?
S: Not much there except fr the sweetness I find so preveltant in adjunct lagers.
T: Grainy with a hint of corn with other unwanted vegetal flavours coming to the palate party. An underling metallic tone that is incredibly off-putting. Virtually undrinkable, and makes the Coors Light taste delicious by comparison.
M: Stunningly, less carbonation brings out more off flavors in a BMC and leaves you with a thinner less crisp and biting finish. Appalling.
O: I am not want to drink and review BMC lagers, although I will at times. I felt it necessary to write this review to emphasize the unpalatable and undrinkable nature of this beer. Microcarbonation = Macrocrapination!

2.98/5  rDev +23.1%

Pale straw in colour. Its white head is surprisingly big and very tight. I'm not surprised by it's poor retention and lack of lacing, however. Faint scents of grain and bread, and an even fainter banana note. What little flavour it has is beer-like in the most generic sense, with that same subdued banana as the aroma. It is clean though. Very clean. Feels thin and watery even for the style. A lot of the texture in most standard american lagers comes from the spritzy, prickly carbonation. Without it, there is almost nothing in terms of mouthfeel. If they wanted to make an even smoother lightly flavoured and light bodied mass produced lager, then they seem to have succeeded. It really does go down like a glass of ice-cold water.

2.87/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This one was a freebie, and thank god for that because otherwise I doubt I'd ever have the pleasure of drinking this. I'm not sure what microcarbonation is, nor do I care.

Pours a brilliant golden colour with a half-finger head that dies down very quickly to almost nothing; not even a cap remains. The smell is mostly the same as Canadian or your average macro lager; corn and rice. If I use my imagination I can pick up some orange zest and grass.

Taste is smooth, but wholly uninteresting. Sweet grains and corniness - alright for the style, no serious off-flavors. I can't detect any hops. This reminds me of Canadian, surprise surprise. Carbonation is not quite as intense as in most macro lagers. I still have a feeling 'microcarbonated' just means less carbonated - but what can I say, I am skeptical by nature. Light-bodied and very easy to drink.

As someone said earlier, this beer only has 75 calories per bottle, which is only slightly more than their awful Canadian 67 line. If you are watching your weight, are a diehard Molson loyalist but don't want to drink 67, then this could be an option. I do not fall into that narrow category though, so I doubt I will get it again. Pretty much interchangeable with Canadian in terms of flavour and drinkability - and since this costs more, you might as well just stick with the regular instead of premium.

[Updated Oct. 31 2013]

I did the unthinkable and actually spent money on a can of this, but I am not feeling inclined to change the score much. This tastes okay - since it's basically just Canadian, which I have a soft spot for - but the whole 'microcarbonation' gimmick pretty much just amounts to flatness. It is extremely easy to drink quickly, but there are cheaper/tastier lagers that work equally well. No thanks.

Final Grade: 2.89, a C.

2.92/5  rDev +20.7%

Can from the Beer Store. 473ml into a pint glass - microcarbonation huh? Let's give this a whirl.

Pours a pale yellow, with a finger of white head that falls to the thinnest layer with some tight bubbles. This is super clear, but I detect some small bubbles rising in the body - microbubbles? Nose has some faint corn, mild DMS and a general sweetness but is very light. Nothing outstandingly offensive, and expected given the style. Taste has some general sweetness again, light corn, a touch of bitterness. Carbonation prickles the tongue a bit - is this the microcarbonation? Thin and watery feel. Not offensively bad, but relatively undifferentiated from any other macro adjunct lager out there, barring some interesting advertising.

2.58/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours with two fingers of white foam on top of a clear, straw yellow body with perfect clarity. The head dies down quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Light, grainy malt and little else.

T - Some bready malt up front with just a hint of herbal hop flavor. The flavor profile stays much the same through the middle with more light, slightly corny malt and just a touch of hop character. It finishes out with crisp grain and a very low level of bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - Pretty standard for an international light lager; clean, crisp, and thoroughly unremarkable. There is a touch of malt, but it is mostly clean and dry. There are hops, but only to the extent that is necessary to balance out the light sweetness. Completely unoffensive and unremarkable.

2.61/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Notes from 5/1/2011

A- Clear banana colored pour, two finger fluffy white head that disipates quickly. Carbonation started off fast and furious than sort of settles down to practically none.

S- Bananas and corn, grass, slight orange peel. Actually smells decent for a molson product.

T- Corn and grass, malts are muted. Clean aftertaste. Sweetness on the palette.

M- Light bodied, carbonation is minimal and what is there tickles the tongue slightly.

O- Typical Molson Canadian. Best served ice cold after cutting the grass on a scorching summer day. Not amazing, not offensive.

Molson M from Molson Coors Canada