Molson Dry - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2003

An easy-drinking beer of superior character, Molson Dry has won numerous international brewing awards. This extra dry brew imparts a subtle impression of hops with no residual bitterness. Launched in 1989, Molson Dry was awarded the North American Specialty Lager gold medal by the 2002 World Beer Cup.
to view more.
Ratings: 138 | Reviews: 45
1.39/5  rDev -43%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Brilliant straw color. White 2 finger head lasting 2 minutes with poor lacing. Dull.

Flavors of corn and grains with a hint of skunk. Super faint bitter taste with an alcohol aftertaste.

Light body with ok carbonation. Faint and short bitter dry finish.

Overall : Taste like dirty water.

2.75/5  rDev +12.7%

Molson Dry
355 ml. "vented" can, "H184242 18:44"
$2.19 Canadienne @ Intermarche 8160, 850 Rue St-Jean, Quebec, QC

Appearance: Crystal clear yellowed straw-gold body beneath a short-lived head of bright white. Very little to no lacing.
Aroma: adjunct malt and alcohol; clean.
Mouthfeel: medium-light, gently crisp. Subtle astringency.
Flavor: Adjunct malt with an edge of alcohol. Low-level bitterness. Clean. No real hop flavor, but a background suggestion of such.
Impression: Fairly well-made, but flawed in design. At just 5.5% alcohol it has the flavor profile of a malt liquor.

1.53/5  rDev -37.3%

I tried this beer 2 years ago so I have to go back to my memories.
From that I remember I used to say that the Molson Dry taste like my dish washer.
This is not my taste at all. I know there is a 8,5 and a 10,1% I didn t tried those yet but my mouth doesn t want to taste it at all
This beer sucks so bad that the 12 pack when inside the garbage.
I don t know if there was something wrong with the pack but it was undrinkable.
I would try it again because it was the worst experience ever .
Would I recommend it ? Hell NO .

1.61/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Good for getting drunk in a dirty Quebec stripclub

2.94/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's been a very rough day, but I'm feeling good now. To end a day like this, certainly nothing beats a tall boy of Dry.

Molson Dry is a beer that I have some particular affinity for. Namely that apart from Faxe 10%, this is my go-to beer when I'm just looking for a buzz. This isn't a brilliant lager by any means, but at least it does have some appeal.

Regular Canadian is maybe my 3rd favourite Canadian macro, after Kokanee and Sleeman. However what Kokanee and Sleeman don't sell here is a stronger beer that you just can get drunk on. Molson Dry is that beer. The aroma and appearance are very similar to Molson Canadian if I recall correctly, but I'm drinking this one out of the can for that "classic" feel.

The taste is Canadian, but better. It's got the same sweetness, mild wheatiness and apparent corniness that you get with Canadian, except for one thing. This beer is smooth as fuck, and it has zero aftertaste. Bud Light Platinum can eat (drink) its heart out; this was first; and this does it better. The mouthfeel is also very smooth. The carbonation is there, but it doesn't burn your throat. Also notable is that this beer doesn't get progressively worse as it warms up as many other high ABV beers do (I'm looking at you, Faxe).

That's it in a nutshell. It's your basic adjunct lager, but it's a lot easier to swallow.

2.5/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I never understood why anyone would attach the word "dry" to a liquid. When I was younger I thought "dry" gin kind of made sense, because it made your mouth feel parched. And then I realized that calling a cocktail dry was a way to make it known that it was boozy, not watery. Both those make sense. But beer? WTF?

Anyhow, this has a grassiness similar to Rolling Rock, with big nodes of corn and other canned veggies. Not particularly beery, but there's something going on there and there are no off nodes. Bizarrely enough, I think I like the higher ABV "Cold Shots" version of this better, even though that particular beer seems marketed directly to wannabe homeless people.

2.21/5  rDev -9.4%

Tried the Molson Dry at Baton Rouge in Montreal and it was just a beer nothing exciting. Poured a clear golden yellow with thin white head that did not lace. The smell was wet grain. The taste was typical of most Adjunct american beers. The mouthfeel was light in body with good carbonation to start and then faded. Overall it was ok.

2.12/5  rDev -13.1%

This beer is very below average because it says it's a dry but if it would be a normal lager i would probably give it a 3 for average. The apperance is below average and the smell is malty and corny. The taste and the mouthfeel doesn't make it a dry. Overall an average beer but it isn't a dry!

1.85/5  rDev -24.2%

A: Golden yellow with a decent soapy head.

S: Wet grass with maybe some lemon peel.

T: Again the lemon peel comes out a bit on the end with some bitterness. Not much flavor, but that is not a bad thing for this kind of beer I suppose. Didn't notice any malts.

M: Nice carbonation and no aftertaste which is how a dry beer is meant to be.

O: Decent macro lager from Canada. Much better than Labatt Bleue. I prefer the regular Molson, but it costs more usually in Montreal where I am on vacation right now. Ok beer on a hot day, but there are better and cheaper options.

2.11/5  rDev -13.5%

12oz Can Costco Quebec

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 2 or 3 minutes.

Smell - Malts, breads/grains, metallic, corn

Taste & Mouth - There is an abov average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts and corn mixed with some slightly harsh herbal/metallic notes. It ends with a grainy/'dry' aftertaste.

Overall - I seem to recall enjoying this beer when I was younger.. I guess I've come a long way since then. It's a distinct metallic slightly harsh taste that doesn't make it all that drinkable. I wouldn't buy this one again.

2.81/5  rDev +15.2%

Fancy new re-branded 355 mL can from TBS. I worked at a liquor store in Edmonton a while back and that was the only place I had ever seen anyone purchase this stuff (though, like all loyalists, they of course insisted it was 'the good stuff'). I've never seen anyone in Ontario drinking this, ever, but I am assuming it's just one of those brews that is only popular regionally (like Old Style Pilsner) or in certain age brackets (like OV).

Pours a familiar pale golden-yellow colour, topped with one finger of fizzy, soapy white head that fizzles its way down to a smooth cap over the next minute or two. Pretty indistinguishable from most of the other pale lagers in the Molson portfolio. The aroma is bland with no real redeeming qualities; it just smells like corny cereal adjunct sweetness.

Acceptable flavour for the style, but nothing out of the ordinary really. With only some grainy pale malts and corny sweetness, there isn't a lot to dissect here. Slightly dry finish with a bit of a corny vibe. Drink this stuff quickly - the flavour is quite minimal when cold, but as it warms it starts to taste more and more like apple juice. Light-bodied and watery, with lower-than-average carbonation. Smooth-drinking and fairly refreshing.

Final Grade: 2.85, a forgettable C grade. Molson Dry shows the approximate level of quality that I've come to expect from one of Molson's 'premium brand' lagers. It's drinkable and fairly clean, but inherently bland and not a standout in its category. I'd have no trouble drinking this again - but realistically, if I'm at a pub or shop with selection so poor that getting Molson Dry is even a valid consideration, I'd probably just get Canadian. Skip this stuff; unless you've been riding this horse since the beginnings of the Dry Beer Craze, there's no compelling reason to hop onto it now.

2.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Pale yellow appearance with minimal head that disappears quickly. Smell is sweet and corny, a bit metallic.

Has a generic sweet corn taste with a hint of malt. Picked up some bread and metallic hops. Light bodied with high carbonation. Aftertaste is dry, and oddly enough, spicy.

One of the first beers I drank when I turned drinking age, at the time it was because the alcohol was higher then normal without drinking malt liquor. Never paid attention to the taste, hope I grew into a better beer connoisseur.

This is bland and generic, even if your looking for a beer for the same reasons above, there are better ones out there.

3.01/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from bottle.
Had a decent foam head that lasted while drinking it. The one detractor from this beer is the slight metallic smell and taste which seems to briefly interrupt its enjoyment.
This beer appears to be regionally restricted to Canada and not available in the US. I'm a pretty big fan of the Molson family of beers and although Molson Dry is an average dry beer, I would certainly welcome it's shelf presence at my local distributor.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden colour with a very big white foamy head. That lasted quite awhile and settled to a nice cap. Not really any lacing.

S: A faint grainy malt smell. Also smells a bit sweet and a faint metallic smell.

T: Not much there a little sweetness and grains to it. It's a bit watery but not in a bad way.

M: It has a light body with light to medium carbonation. It does have the dry finish it's named for. Goes down smooth and crisp. Very drinkable.

D: Not sure if my palette has changed or what but this wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered. I was initially not looking forward to this review but I was happily surprised. It hardly had any metallic traits that I distinctly remember from other experiences with this beer. I might have to turn to this beer more if I'm looking for a cheap macro beer.

2.73/5  rDev +11.9%

710ml can. This was the beer of choice amongst my small-town friends who eschewed Molson Canadian, but wouldn't go as far as Big Rock, and reminds me of a spate of weddings back in the late 90s.

This beer pours a clear, pale golden yellow hue, with tons of puffy, thinly foamy, and kind of creamy off-white head, which leaves some sparse streaky, sudsy lace around the glass as it quickly drops away.

It smells of mild creamed corn, quite metallic, weakly sugary pale malt, a touch of acetone, and kind of dusty and musty at the same time. The taste is moderately sweet, husky corn, further almost wheaty malt notes, a steely flintiness, a hint of diacetyl, and some very mild musty, weedy hops. So far, so Canadian.

The carbonation is slightly on the high and frothy side, the body medium-light in weight, but not quite thin in its smoothness, building somewhat on the base Canadian lager. It finishes more or less clean, just a bit of latent dry grainy booziness.

I can see why my oh-so-discerning drinking buddies chose this over Canadian, as while there isn't a whole lot more going on than in the base ubiquitous lager, it's way smoother, substantially more easy to drink, and hey, 10% stronger to boot. Those two-fours seem like a bit less of a stupid idea to me now. Just a bit, I swear.

2.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Decided to grab this with some empty return money after it won a Bronze Medal in the North American Style Lager category at the 2010 Canadian Brewing Awards. As I expected, there's nothing overly offensive about this beer, but its drinkable mediocrity doesn't make it an 'award winner' in my eyes.

Pours a standard golden yellow with a thin cap of bubbly white froth that dissipates about half way through drinking. Smell is creamed corn, adjunct grains, fruity and floral notes from the hop extract, slightly metallic aromas, and fusel alcohol. Taste is clean nondescript maltiness, faint bite mid-palate, watery mouthfeel with a chalky finish and non-existent aftertaste. After warming a bit, the beer adopts a cheap white wine/chardonnay flavour. Not enjoyable.

Overall, Molson Dry is no different than the rest of the macro slop out there, and it's embarrassing that this would even be considered for an award at our national beer competition. Bleh.

2.58/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from .75 L King Can, which proceeded to make a mess of my clothes and floor. Into a tall wheat beer glass it went...

Look is pale straw colour with white, fizzy head.

Smells:

like metal
corn/grain
a bit sweet

Tastes better than it looks or smells, which I guess is a good thing. Smooth taste with some malt, corn and sugar...somewhat metallic with a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste. Average.

Mouthfeel is not good. This brew is a syrupy, sugary... a slight tinge of carbonation at the end reminds you that you're actually drinking a beer. Dry [obviously].

Drinkability is limited due to the severe lack of personality. Molson Dry may even pale in comparison to it's weaker, watery stablemate [Canadian].

Note:
In my honest opinion, if you like the style PC Dry is better and cheaper.

2.74/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a staple of my father's and whenever i visit my parents, this is what i get. Finally decided to sit down and review it. Had it with my supper, tenderloin steak & mexican sausages on the barbecue.

Poured from a 341ml. can.

Appearance: Pale yellow body with a huge 3-4 finger snow white head, very frothy.

Smell: Ugh, hate this smell. Adjunct with a little metallic edge. Not pleasant. Would be a 1 but since it's to style, i'm giving it a 2 but not more.

Taste: Toned down skunkiness with lots of corn in there. Nothing offensive but nothing great.

Mouthfeel: Eh, feels like it tastes. A bit moist which is weird but the carbonation & cold make it toelrable.

Drinkability: One's enough and only once in a while.

Overall: It's actually better from the can than in a glass. One of the only macros i can tolerate, maybe because i've been conditioned at me dad's.

2.79/5  rDev +14.3%

A- Gave this a hard pour and was treated to a 2 inch thick foamy white head, but it dissipates rather quickly, but a thick film does stay over the beer. Color is a crystal clear grassy tone and there's lots of carbonation columns rising. There isn't really any lacing to speak of.

S- The aroma is mild, and consists primarily of dry dusty grains. There is a faintly sweet boiled corn smell and possibly some malt mixed in there. No hops are detectable...just a bland, slightly sweet aroma.

T- Tastes primarily of corn malt and is grainy. Again, there isn't really any hop bitterness on the finish....just a very faint flavor that resembles a bit of a metallic note.

M- Fairly thin, but a little bit more body than most macro lagers. The carbonation isn't as fizzy as I thought it would be, but it's still quite zippy on the palate.

D- Well it's easy enough to drink. There isn't a whole lot to this beer and the alcohol is well hidden. This is much better than Canadian and I do notice a difference in taste....in a good way....it is dryer. Just not a great "dry" beer. Still this would be a good summer or party beer.

3.05/5  rDev +25%

From notes.

Poured fairly aggressively into a pilsner glass bringing up a foamy 1-finger head that dissipated very quickly. Pale amber, big bubbles coming all the way from the bottom. Looks fizzy...and about as average as average gets.

Smells fairly bland, too, but there is some light maltiness and a grainy/grassy tinge. Not unpleasant, but, yeah...average.

Tastes faintly sweet with very light citrusy notes and some metallic overtones. Light malt and bread. Fine, but underwhelming.

Carbonation is fairly strong, feel is kinda thin. More or less balanced, I guess, but maybe a bit too fizzy.

Drinkability-wise, this is just fine. It's refreshing. A person could knock these back pretty easily.

On a hot summer day, I can see this being a reasonable macro to turn to. It's not offensive. I won't go looking for it, but in a fridge full of macros, this one would go quicker than some I've tried.

2.56/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - pale yellow brew, heavily carbonated, with 1/4-inch sustained head of foam.

Smell - corn adjunct aroma with a thin hop smell as well. Very familiar smell, not complex or interesting.

Taste - pretty neutral start with a sweet corn malt flavour coming through in the middle. Finish is sudden and short, leaving a boring wetness in the mouth and little aftertaste profile to speak of.

Mouthfeel - for all the carbonation this is pretty smooth, although the lack of sustained flavour at the end creates a dull experience.

Drinkability - this is easy to put away, especially when cold, but still isn't a great choice. The sweetness becomes annoying after a while. The higher alcohol content also means you need to be careful also.

3.03/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured a medium straw hue with a one and a half finger foamy white head. There was good retention and decent lacing.

The smell featured a doughy malt with a smooth sweetness.

The taste consisted of a relatively full adjunct malt with some corn sweetness and a light grassy hop. A bit sweet for a dry beer.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall a pretty flavorful macro.

2.69/5  rDev +10.2%

I remember when my old man used to buy this in Windsor at the beer store. I haven't seen it in years, so I had to grab a 6-er while in Montreal.

A-Pours a light golden w/decent white head. Retention is only fair, and there is some light tracing.

S-Faint grain, light malt, light noble hops.

T-Very light and slightly sweet malt, ephemeral citrus, and a fair amount of noble hops in the finish. Aftertaste is slightly metallic with traces of hops.

M-Light and watery with strong carbonation...what do you expect?

D-It's fun to bash macros, but this one's not too bad. It's slightly better than average, and it's easy to understand why I use to like this one way back when. This one's better if left out of the fridge for 10-15 minutes before drinking unless you are a fan of beer completely devoid of taste.

2.46/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Light golden beer with a decent head. Nothing very interesting but it's ok.

S: Some malts here and there. A bit of a bread smell too.

T: That's where I'm surprised. It has a nice malt taste! Bread is more present too and provides a bit more body. Hops aren't present much.

M: Watered down, but it isn't as bad as most macro lager.

D: very very high. Decent taste and light mouthfeel, it is easy to drink.

3.84/5  rDev +57.4%

Well, I started my journey on this stuff at Expos games, so the rating is due to sentimentality. It's really not bad, no intricate flavor, and it goes down easy. There is a sweet flavor that can be barely detected in the body, I'd chalk it up to either a slightly fruited hop, or brewer's corn syrup, but In a Dry, I'm not sure they'd use that. It's like hammering down water, no bitterness, and crisp finish, not as horrible as people say. Wish they had it in the states.

to view more.