Molson Dry - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2003

An easy-drinking beer of superior character, Molson Dry has won numerous international brewing awards. This extra dry brew imparts a subtle impression of hops with no residual bitterness. Launched in 1989, Molson Dry was awarded the North American Specialty Lager gold medal by the 2002 World Beer Cup.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.13/5  rDev -56.4%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with almost no head. Aroma is very weak, almost like water. Taste is very boring with no aftertaste at all. This was very uninspiring in the end. I had this after a golf game and I guess this is more of thirst quencher then anything else. (275 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Brilliant straw color. White 2 finger head lasting 2 minutes with poor lacing. Dull.

Flavors of corn and grains with a hint of skunk. Super faint bitter taste with an alcohol aftertaste.

Light body with ok carbonation. Faint and short bitter dry finish.

Overall : Taste like dirty water. (290 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%

I tried this beer 2 years ago so I have to go back to my memories.
From that I remember I used to say that the Molson Dry taste like my dish washer.
This is not my taste at all. I know there is a 8,5 and a 10,1% I didn t tried those yet but my mouth doesn t want to taste it at all
This beer sucks so bad that the 12 pack when inside the garbage.
I don t know if there was something wrong with the pack but it was undrinkable.
I would try it again because it was the worst experience ever .
Would I recommend it ? Hell NO . (527 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

341ml bottle in a plastic glass.

Clear, straw yellow in colour. White head is 1/8 inch on the pour, but quickly reduces to a thin ring around the edge.

Fairly standard macro aroma of grains and adjuncts.

True to it's name, it has an astringent and dry finish. Starts off fairly smooth with light grains, but it's like the adjuncts build up toward the finish when it's very astringent and dry. Dry grainy aftertaste.

Light bodied and overly carbonated. Harsh caustic mouthfeel.

Molson Dry is like a drier version of a macro lager. In my opinion, that makes it worse. Avoid. (587 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Golden yellow with a decent soapy head.

S: Wet grass with maybe some lemon peel.

T: Again the lemon peel comes out a bit on the end with some bitterness. Not much flavor, but that is not a bad thing for this kind of beer I suppose. Didn't notice any malts.

M: Nice carbonation and no aftertaste which is how a dry beer is meant to be.

O: Decent macro lager from Canada. Much better than Labatt Bleue. I prefer the regular Molson, but it costs more usually in Montreal where I am on vacation right now. Ok beer on a hot day, but there are better and cheaper options. (572 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -20.1%

An average beer for Molson. I understand that they brewed better beer 40 years or so ago. A fizzy drink with a subtle beer taste, instead of a softdrink. Bit crisp and passable with dinner that tastes. Metallic taste from can. If you are 16 its a cheap high. (258 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz Can Costco Quebec

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 2 or 3 minutes.

Smell - Malts, breads/grains, metallic, corn

Taste & Mouth - There is an abov average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts and corn mixed with some slightly harsh herbal/metallic notes. It ends with a grainy/'dry' aftertaste.

Overall - I seem to recall enjoying this beer when I was younger.. I guess I've come a long way since then. It's a distinct metallic slightly harsh taste that doesn't make it all that drinkable. I wouldn't buy this one again. (684 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -18.1%

This beer is very below average because it says it's a dry but if it would be a normal lager i would probably give it a 3 for average. The apperance is below average and the smell is malty and corny. The taste and the mouthfeel doesn't make it a dry. Overall an average beer but it isn't a dry! (294 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -14.7%

Tried the Molson Dry at Baton Rouge in Montreal and it was just a beer nothing exciting. Poured a clear golden yellow with thin white head that did not lace. The smell was wet grain. The taste was typical of most Adjunct american beers. The mouthfeel was light in body with good carbonation to start and then faded. Overall it was ok. (334 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Pale yellow appearance with minimal head that disappears quickly. Smell is sweet and corny, a bit metallic.

Has a generic sweet corn taste with a hint of malt. Picked up some bread and metallic hops. Light bodied with high carbonation. Aftertaste is dry, and oddly enough, spicy.

One of the first beers I drank when I turned drinking age, at the time it was because the alcohol was higher then normal without drinking malt liquor. Never paid attention to the taste, hope I grew into a better beer connoisseur.

This is bland and generic, even if your looking for a beer for the same reasons above, there are better ones out there. (633 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -12%

As a canut, I had this beer in bottles, on tap, in pitcher, in binge drinking, you name it, it is one of the number 1 party beer! Appearance is quite normal, golden, lot of bubbles, average macro in fact. Smell is just plain normal, nothing funky, nothing great. Taste, I dislike that beer with that taste, pronounced taste that stay for a while, "no after taste they say eh!" well not for me, the molson dry taste stays a long time for me and I dont need to drink a few or I get sick. Mouthfeel is average, nothing bad, it is a beer that is conceipted for mass productions. Drinkability, I guess that her best point, it is easilly drinkable. (642 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -8.1%

I almost forgot I had one of these on my trip to Momtreal...it really was a forgettable brew. Looked pale and fizzy, moderate head that didn;t saty long...sweet aroma some fruit and light hops..like a cider...taste and mouth were soft and mild...hardly any malt or hop profile...just smooth and sweet....uneventful abrupt finish....not very "dry"...not really much of anything...so smooth and soft no real flavor profile was apparent. (434 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Crisp, clean, like the Canadian Rockies.....bland like the snow too. Poured with an average head that faded fast. I couldn't smell anything from this beer. The taste left me a bit empty. A beer, that doesn't appear to be a beer. Had a "Bud/Miller/Coors-esque" feel to it that I could leave well behind. (302 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -5%

A: Light golden beer with a decent head. Nothing very interesting but it's ok.

S: Some malts here and there. A bit of a bread smell too.

T: That's where I'm surprised. It has a nice malt taste! Bread is more present too and provides a bit more body. Hops aren't present much.

M: Watered down, but it isn't as bad as most macro lager.

D: very very high. Decent taste and light mouthfeel, it is easy to drink. (411 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -4.2%

Remember the dry beer craze? I think it was 2 years before the 'ice' beer craze..but I digress.

Average looking lager..maybe a bit paler than their flagship Canadian beer. Big, fizzy white head that quickly receded to a very thin cap/ring. Poor lacing. Again, average for a macro.

More adjuncts and less grainy malt aroma than what I'd expect from Molson here.

Taste is thin and watery. Some astringincy, but no real malt or hop flavor here worth discribing. Does finish dry so it gets to keep it's 'Dry' labelling I guess.

Thin, weak-bodied, and watery in my mouth...ugh

Molson took the flavor out of their Canadian and made Labatt's Blue/Coor's Lite instead. Pass (682 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I never understood why anyone would attach the word "dry" to a liquid. When I was younger I thought "dry" gin kind of made sense, because it made your mouth feel parched. And then I realized that calling a cocktail dry was a way to make it known that it was boozy, not watery. Both those make sense. But beer? WTF?

Anyhow, this has a grassiness similar to Rolling Rock, with big nodes of corn and other canned veggies. Not particularly beery, but there's something going on there and there are no off nodes. Bizarrely enough, I think I like the higher ABV "Cold Shots" version of this better, even though that particular beer seems marketed directly to wannabe homeless people. (679 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - pale yellow brew, heavily carbonated, with 1/4-inch sustained head of foam.

Smell - corn adjunct aroma with a thin hop smell as well. Very familiar smell, not complex or interesting.

Taste - pretty neutral start with a sweet corn malt flavour coming through in the middle. Finish is sudden and short, leaving a boring wetness in the mouth and little aftertaste profile to speak of.

Mouthfeel - for all the carbonation this is pretty smooth, although the lack of sustained flavour at the end creates a dull experience.

Drinkability - this is easy to put away, especially when cold, but still isn't a great choice. The sweetness becomes annoying after a while. The higher alcohol content also means you need to be careful also. (785 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -1.2%

From Notes, Consumed during Calgary trip on 9/29 at Murph's Irish Pub. Buckets of Molson products $12, couldn't pass up a cheap drink. I order this because I thought "Dry" beers had gone the way of the Dodo.

Appearance: I drank it straight from the bottle, I didn't want to be too much of a beer geek and ask for a glass. I imagine it is typical macro though.

Smell: Very little smell, even as I tried to take inconspicuous whiffs from the top of the bottle and not look too foolish. I would have thought that any aroma would have been concentrated, but either this has no aroma or is too cold (sat in a bucket of ice).

Taste: Typical macro, only less. At least with a macro you tend to get an aftertaste, either good or bad, this had almost nothing. Little taste on the tongue (slight adjuncty sweetness), nothing once it slipped past, on its way down.

Mouthfeel: Light lively, well carbonated and well, dry.

Drinkability: Well, it's easy to pound these away, but would I buy it again? Probably not, I only did this once for the novelty of it. (1,060 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from .75 L King Can, which proceeded to make a mess of my clothes and floor. Into a tall wheat beer glass it went...

Look is pale straw colour with white, fizzy head.

Smells:

like metal
corn/grain
a bit sweet

Tastes better than it looks or smells, which I guess is a good thing. Smooth taste with some malt, corn and sugar...somewhat metallic with a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste. Average.

Mouthfeel is not good. This brew is a syrupy, sugary... a slight tinge of carbonation at the end reminds you that you're actually drinking a beer. Dry [obviously].

Drinkability is limited due to the severe lack of personality. Molson Dry may even pale in comparison to it's weaker, watery stablemate [Canadian].

Note:
In my honest opinion, if you like the style PC Dry is better and cheaper. (804 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Not an offensive beer. It does not smell bad. It does not look bad. It does not offend. Poured out a light gold colour with a small head that eventually disappeared. Nose of light malt, some hops, and ... and ... that was it really. Its a basic massed produced beverage that is a good massed produced beer. A "liquid" mouthfeel and no real aftertaste. Too bad. Strangely enough one could say that it has drinkability 'cause it is not an offensive beer. (452 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pale golden. No head at all.

Smell: No smell. Apple juice or real beer got more smell.

Taste: That's ok for a macro adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? Molson markets as having no aftertaste...

Drinkability: It is ok for a macro. Some drinkers like it, others not. (294 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

Decided to grab this with some empty return money after it won a Bronze Medal in the North American Style Lager category at the 2010 Canadian Brewing Awards. As I expected, there's nothing overly offensive about this beer, but its drinkable mediocrity doesn't make it an 'award winner' in my eyes.

Pours a standard golden yellow with a thin cap of bubbly white froth that dissipates about half way through drinking. Smell is creamed corn, adjunct grains, fruity and floral notes from the hop extract, slightly metallic aromas, and fusel alcohol. Taste is clean nondescript maltiness, faint bite mid-palate, watery mouthfeel with a chalky finish and non-existent aftertaste. After warming a bit, the beer adopts a cheap white wine/chardonnay flavour. Not enjoyable.

Overall, Molson Dry is no different than the rest of the macro slop out there, and it's embarrassing that this would even be considered for an award at our national beer competition. Bleh. (957 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +3.9%

I remember when my old man used to buy this in Windsor at the beer store. I haven't seen it in years, so I had to grab a 6-er while in Montreal.

A-Pours a light golden w/decent white head. Retention is only fair, and there is some light tracing.

S-Faint grain, light malt, light noble hops.

T-Very light and slightly sweet malt, ephemeral citrus, and a fair amount of noble hops in the finish. Aftertaste is slightly metallic with traces of hops.

M-Light and watery with strong carbonation...what do you expect?

D-It's fun to bash macros, but this one's not too bad. It's slightly better than average, and it's easy to understand why I use to like this one way back when. This one's better if left out of the fridge for 10-15 minutes before drinking unless you are a fan of beer completely devoid of taste. (812 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +5.4%

710ml can. This was the beer of choice amongst my small-town friends who eschewed Molson Canadian, but wouldn't go as far as Big Rock, and reminds me of a spate of weddings back in the late 90s.

This beer pours a clear, pale golden yellow hue, with tons of puffy, thinly foamy, and kind of creamy off-white head, which leaves some sparse streaky, sudsy lace around the glass as it quickly drops away.

It smells of mild creamed corn, quite metallic, weakly sugary pale malt, a touch of acetone, and kind of dusty and musty at the same time. The taste is moderately sweet, husky corn, further almost wheaty malt notes, a steely flintiness, a hint of diacetyl, and some very mild musty, weedy hops. So far, so Canadian.

The carbonation is slightly on the high and frothy side, the body medium-light in weight, but not quite thin in its smoothness, building somewhat on the base Canadian lager. It finishes more or less clean, just a bit of latent dry grainy booziness.

I can see why my oh-so-discerning drinking buddies chose this over Canadian, as while there isn't a whole lot more going on than in the base ubiquitous lager, it's way smoother, substantially more easy to drink, and hey, 10% stronger to boot. Those two-fours seem like a bit less of a stupid idea to me now. Just a bit, I swear. (1,299 characters)

2.74/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a staple of my father's and whenever i visit my parents, this is what i get. Finally decided to sit down and review it. Had it with my supper, tenderloin steak & mexican sausages on the barbecue.

Poured from a 341ml. can.

Appearance: Pale yellow body with a huge 3-4 finger snow white head, very frothy.

Smell: Ugh, hate this smell. Adjunct with a little metallic edge. Not pleasant. Would be a 1 but since it's to style, i'm giving it a 2 but not more.

Taste: Toned down skunkiness with lots of corn in there. Nothing offensive but nothing great.

Mouthfeel: Eh, feels like it tastes. A bit moist which is weird but the carbonation & cold make it toelrable.

Drinkability: One's enough and only once in a while.

Overall: It's actually better from the can than in a glass. One of the only macros i can tolerate, maybe because i've been conditioned at me dad's. (873 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast