Molson Dry - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2003

An easy-drinking beer of superior character, Molson Dry has won numerous international brewing awards. This extra dry brew imparts a subtle impression of hops with no residual bitterness. Launched in 1989, Molson Dry was awarded the North American Specialty Lager gold medal by the 2002 World Beer Cup.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Pale yellow appearance with minimal head that disappears quickly. Smell is sweet and corny, a bit metallic.

Has a generic sweet corn taste with a hint of malt. Picked up some bread and metallic hops. Light bodied with high carbonation. Aftertaste is dry, and oddly enough, spicy.

One of the first beers I drank when I turned drinking age, at the time it was because the alcohol was higher then normal without drinking malt liquor. Never paid attention to the taste, hope I grew into a better beer connoisseur.

This is bland and generic, even if your looking for a beer for the same reasons above, there are better ones out there. (633 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -5%

A: Light golden beer with a decent head. Nothing very interesting but it's ok.

S: Some malts here and there. A bit of a bread smell too.

T: That's where I'm surprised. It has a nice malt taste! Bread is more present too and provides a bit more body. Hops aren't present much.

M: Watered down, but it isn't as bad as most macro lager.

D: very very high. Decent taste and light mouthfeel, it is easy to drink. (411 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -12%

As a canut, I had this beer in bottles, on tap, in pitcher, in binge drinking, you name it, it is one of the number 1 party beer! Appearance is quite normal, golden, lot of bubbles, average macro in fact. Smell is just plain normal, nothing funky, nothing great. Taste, I dislike that beer with that taste, pronounced taste that stay for a while, "no after taste they say eh!" well not for me, the molson dry taste stays a long time for me and I dont need to drink a few or I get sick. Mouthfeel is average, nothing bad, it is a beer that is conceipted for mass productions. Drinkability, I guess that her best point, it is easilly drinkable. (642 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Crisp, clean, like the Canadian Rockies.....bland like the snow too. Poured with an average head that faded fast. I couldn't smell anything from this beer. The taste left me a bit empty. A beer, that doesn't appear to be a beer. Had a "Bud/Miller/Coors-esque" feel to it that I could leave well behind. (302 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +21.6%

341 ml brown bottle.

A- Nice golden yellow colour. Weak, thin, but present head. Head dissipates rapidly but a few bubbles stick around till the end. basic clear macro lager.

S- basic lager smell out of bottle. Reminds me of some macro euro-lagers. Weak. Slightly sweet smelling, especially as it warms. Faint hops. Would be OK if it the aroma was more noriceably present.

T- Has virtually no flavour when cold. Some tap water tastes stronger. Best I can say is that there are no off flavours. This is the reason I used to drink this in my youth when only macros were available. At least it didn't taste bad!
A bit of grapes and grassy-floral hops taste as it warms. Touch of bitterness in the finish.

MF- Clean, crisp, refreshing. One of the better cheap thirst quenchers. great if you're not looking for flavour but still want beer.

D- Easy to drink thirst quencher with more alcohol kick than a light beer. Better cold. Honestly better than most beers of its type and I would take it over a number of more expensive, in comparison, imports (such as Heineken or Carlsberg for example). (1,104 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Brilliant straw color. White 2 finger head lasting 2 minutes with poor lacing. Dull.

Flavors of corn and grains with a hint of skunk. Super faint bitter taste with an alcohol aftertaste.

Light body with ok carbonation. Faint and short bitter dry finish.

Overall : Taste like dirty water. (290 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden colour with a very big white foamy head. That lasted quite awhile and settled to a nice cap. Not really any lacing.

S: A faint grainy malt smell. Also smells a bit sweet and a faint metallic smell.

T: Not much there a little sweetness and grains to it. It's a bit watery but not in a bad way.

M: It has a light body with light to medium carbonation. It does have the dry finish it's named for. Goes down smooth and crisp. Very drinkable.

D: Not sure if my palette has changed or what but this wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered. I was initially not looking forward to this review but I was happily surprised. It hardly had any metallic traits that I distinctly remember from other experiences with this beer. I might have to turn to this beer more if I'm looking for a cheap macro beer. (810 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - pale yellow brew, heavily carbonated, with 1/4-inch sustained head of foam.

Smell - corn adjunct aroma with a thin hop smell as well. Very familiar smell, not complex or interesting.

Taste - pretty neutral start with a sweet corn malt flavour coming through in the middle. Finish is sudden and short, leaving a boring wetness in the mouth and little aftertaste profile to speak of.

Mouthfeel - for all the carbonation this is pretty smooth, although the lack of sustained flavour at the end creates a dull experience.

Drinkability - this is easy to put away, especially when cold, but still isn't a great choice. The sweetness becomes annoying after a while. The higher alcohol content also means you need to be careful also. (785 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pale golden. No head at all.

Smell: No smell. Apple juice or real beer got more smell.

Taste: That's ok for a macro adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? Molson markets as having no aftertaste...

Drinkability: It is ok for a macro. Some drinkers like it, others not. (294 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's been a very rough day, but I'm feeling good now. To end a day like this, certainly nothing beats a tall boy of Dry.

Molson Dry is a beer that I have some particular affinity for. Namely that apart from Faxe 10%, this is my go-to beer when I'm just looking for a buzz. This isn't a brilliant lager by any means, but at least it does have some appeal.

Regular Canadian is maybe my 3rd favourite Canadian macro, after Kokanee and Sleeman. However what Kokanee and Sleeman don't sell here is a stronger beer that you just can get drunk on. Molson Dry is that beer. The aroma and appearance are very similar to Molson Canadian if I recall correctly, but I'm drinking this one out of the can for that "classic" feel.

The taste is Canadian, but better. It's got the same sweetness, mild wheatiness and apparent corniness that you get with Canadian, except for one thing. This beer is smooth as fuck, and it has zero aftertaste. Bud Light Platinum can eat (drink) its heart out; this was first; and this does it better. The mouthfeel is also very smooth. The carbonation is there, but it doesn't burn your throat. Also notable is that this beer doesn't get progressively worse as it warms up as many other high ABV beers do (I'm looking at you, Faxe).

That's it in a nutshell. It's your basic adjunct lager, but it's a lot easier to swallow. (1,342 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%

I tried this beer 2 years ago so I have to go back to my memories.
From that I remember I used to say that the Molson Dry taste like my dish washer.
This is not my taste at all. I know there is a 8,5 and a 10,1% I didn t tried those yet but my mouth doesn t want to taste it at all
This beer sucks so bad that the 12 pack when inside the garbage.
I don t know if there was something wrong with the pack but it was undrinkable.
I would try it again because it was the worst experience ever .
Would I recommend it ? Hell NO . (527 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Not an offensive beer. It does not smell bad. It does not look bad. It does not offend. Poured out a light gold colour with a small head that eventually disappeared. Nose of light malt, some hops, and ... and ... that was it really. Its a basic massed produced beverage that is a good massed produced beer. A "liquid" mouthfeel and no real aftertaste. Too bad. Strangely enough one could say that it has drinkability 'cause it is not an offensive beer. (452 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +17.8%

From notes.

Poured fairly aggressively into a pilsner glass bringing up a foamy 1-finger head that dissipated very quickly. Pale amber, big bubbles coming all the way from the bottom. Looks fizzy...and about as average as average gets.

Smells fairly bland, too, but there is some light maltiness and a grainy/grassy tinge. Not unpleasant, but, yeah...average.

Tastes faintly sweet with very light citrusy notes and some metallic overtones. Light malt and bread. Fine, but underwhelming.

Carbonation is fairly strong, feel is kinda thin. More or less balanced, I guess, but maybe a bit too fizzy.

Drinkability-wise, this is just fine. It's refreshing. A person could knock these back pretty easily.

On a hot summer day, I can see this being a reasonable macro to turn to. It's not offensive. I won't go looking for it, but in a fridge full of macros, this one would go quicker than some I've tried. (903 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +48.3%

Well, I started my journey on this stuff at Expos games, so the rating is due to sentimentality. It's really not bad, no intricate flavor, and it goes down easy. There is a sweet flavor that can be barely detected in the body, I'd chalk it up to either a slightly fruited hop, or brewer's corn syrup, but In a Dry, I'm not sure they'd use that. It's like hammering down water, no bitterness, and crisp finish, not as horrible as people say. Wish they had it in the states. (472 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Golden yellow with a decent soapy head.

S: Wet grass with maybe some lemon peel.

T: Again the lemon peel comes out a bit on the end with some bitterness. Not much flavor, but that is not a bad thing for this kind of beer I suppose. Didn't notice any malts.

M: Nice carbonation and no aftertaste which is how a dry beer is meant to be.

O: Decent macro lager from Canada. Much better than Labatt Bleue. I prefer the regular Molson, but it costs more usually in Montreal where I am on vacation right now. Ok beer on a hot day, but there are better and cheaper options. (572 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +8.1%

I got this in a 750 ml can for $2 Canadian. Molson Dry is a boring dry version of Molson Canadian, with half a percent more ABV, and the advertised "no aftertaste". More like no taste, period. But this is one of the two or three cheapest beers I can get locally, and I have drank lots of it. Goes good with cheap food. Cheap food and cheap beer are a wonderful combination, regardless of the taste of either. (408 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from .75 L King Can, which proceeded to make a mess of my clothes and floor. Into a tall wheat beer glass it went...

Look is pale straw colour with white, fizzy head.

Smells:

like metal
corn/grain
a bit sweet

Tastes better than it looks or smells, which I guess is a good thing. Smooth taste with some malt, corn and sugar...somewhat metallic with a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste. Average.

Mouthfeel is not good. This brew is a syrupy, sugary... a slight tinge of carbonation at the end reminds you that you're actually drinking a beer. Dry [obviously].

Drinkability is limited due to the severe lack of personality. Molson Dry may even pale in comparison to it's weaker, watery stablemate [Canadian].

Note:
In my honest opinion, if you like the style PC Dry is better and cheaper. (804 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -18.1%

This beer is very below average because it says it's a dry but if it would be a normal lager i would probably give it a 3 for average. The apperance is below average and the smell is malty and corny. The taste and the mouthfeel doesn't make it a dry. Overall an average beer but it isn't a dry! (294 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from bottle.
Had a decent foam head that lasted while drinking it. The one detractor from this beer is the slight metallic smell and taste which seems to briefly interrupt its enjoyment.
This beer appears to be regionally restricted to Canada and not available in the US. I'm a pretty big fan of the Molson family of beers and although Molson Dry is an average dry beer, I would certainly welcome it's shelf presence at my local distributor. (448 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last