Carling Black Label - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiloh on 02-17-2003

A contemporary lager beer with a light, crisp, refreshing aroma and taste.
2.62/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce can poured into a snifter.
The beer is a golden yellow color with a weak white head of foam.

Light body and medium+ carbonation.

The aroma is light, sweet and grainy .
Flavor: weak but OK. Lightly sweet with faint hops and corn. Poor aftertaste.

2.85/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Curiosity got the best of me and Black Label made it to the top of my to-do list. When making the purchase the older male cashier asked "Black label? Do you normally drink that." I knew I was in for something unusual with a reputation I had no idea about.

Opening the box the bottles were dusty, making it obvious this isn't a go to beer for the average beer drinker. I cracked the bottle and poured it into a glass. Very light yellow colour, not much foam, carbonation okay, and smells cheap.

First sip and my conclusion, not too bad. For the price there's a lot worse out there. I had no struggle getting through the case, in fact the only reason I haven't bought this again is because I have to drive out of my way to get it at the beer store. Not carried at all locations. I don't know why, compared to all the other discount beers out there Black Label is pretty damn good.

Good for summer BBQ's, relaxing watching the game, any occasion where you just want a decent beer. Can't go wrong for the price!

2.36/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a piss poor yellow colour. Thin foamy head. Smells ol wet grain. Tastes like malt, corn syrup and cardboard. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. But what do you expect from a budget beer? It's bland but it's drinkable. I wouldn't pay for it, but I wouldn't turn it down at a party.

4.66/5  rDev +95%

Poured into a frosted 16 oz glass. Very thick head, golden brown in appearance. Smell is not at all offensive. Very little hops, somewhat grainy flavor. Overall, one of the best value beers I've tasted. Would highly recommend this for an inexpensive drink with a nice flavor. I drank about 16-20 of these in my first sitting, with 5% ABV I was highly intoxicated but I couldn't stop myself. Be careful, Carling Canada's Black Label is impossible to put down.

4.84/5  rDev +102.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My prefered. It's a beer for real man enjoy a real beer, strong like a men, gente=le like a gentlemen, not a women beer, only for biker, or rocker man. Not for woossy or pussy just a beer for a man want to drink a beer to be satisfing is taste, and no after taste. You will be appetite for destrustion after it, and gently resolved after...THE BEST ONE!!!!

3.35/5  rDev +40.2%

A beer my Dad used to enjoy, back in the day. Picked up a case of 12 oz cans in Carlisle, PA. It's a warm, humid day and this is a beer that goes down easy. Has a good taste, makes me want to reach for another. This is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers....and that's a good thing.

3.7/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Carling Black Label has a thick, white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and some lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is standard: grain husks, sweetness, and straight-up beer. Taste is the same: sweet grain, sourness, a touch of bitter, some bite, and "that beer flavor". Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Carling Black Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and very dry. Some metallic taste shows up, which is usually the case with canned beer, regardless of what is claimed by the major media. Overall, I think this is a very good beer and it should pair well with a burger and fries. Check it out, if you ever run across it.

2.8/5  rDev +17.2%

This isn't the best beer but it is known as a budget beer. It has a taste of malt and smells like it. It pours a goldy yellow color and is less liquid than water and taste better than most beers. Overall this is an ok beer if you don't want a lot of beer and you want to pay a ok price.

2.93/5  rDev +22.6%

A- Pale golden. Very clear. Head is two fingers and white. Only a slick retains. Meh, a little better looking than most BMC stuff.
S- The aroma is fairly clean, and there's just not much there. Some stale grain.
T- Clean sweetness up front. The flavor is fairly mild but not altogether bad. A bit of corn/adjunct/off flavor in the finish.
M- Standard body for style. Carb is a bit smoother though.
O- It is what is. It's not the worst beer out there.

4.55/5  rDev +90.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer, HANDS DOWN! I'm an archivist, a historian, a citizen preserving the best of the past within a seamless tapestry of the present. Carling Black Label is a "golden light lager with a subtle hint of hops." Delicious in every respect, CBL is IT! Go to your local watering hole and say, "Tell me about IT!" Then, drink IT!

2.11/5  rDev -11.7%

Notes are from a fresh can taken home from a party yesterday afternoon and drunk (and subsequently poured out) this afternoon.

This is a pale gold, a bit deeper and darker than straw. A half finger of white foam serves as the head for a few seconds and then leaves a remainder along the edge of the glass that leaves a few spots of lacing.
TGhe problem with some AALs is that there's simply nothing to them. That's not so bad as the ones that are actually offensive. This one leans toward the former, fortunately.
The aroma is completely nondescript and barely detectable. Grains, very light notes of malt and a lame sweetness is pretty much it.
The flavor is about the same with the addition of a very light dose of hops that is so light that it attempts bitter and just ends up adding another element in the flavor. At least it has that going for it, although "musty" isn't the greatest attribute. Regardless, more comes through than on the nose for sure.
The mouthfeel isn't that bad for the style; it is light and a little slick, but it's crisp and it does its job pretty much as demanded. It's what the BMC crowd expects.
I drank enough to review this thing, then it was down the drain.

3.54/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yields 1 finger of rocky snow white head with poor retention. Crystal clear very pale yellow liquid. Very carbonated. Better retention and darker yellow color with less fizz would be appreciated.
S: Corn, bread, noble hops. Slight metallic aroma. Fairly nice.
T: Fairly mild and balanced. Tasty but slight metallic flavor detracts. Nothing bad, nothing great.
M: A bit too fizzy.
D: Could drink a few of these. I wouldn't buy, but wouldn't pass one up if offered.

2.11/5  rDev -11.7%

My friend, knowing my love of good beer, got me a 6-pack of these for my birthday... As a joke of course.

It looks like any other pale lager. Nothing exciting, but not unappealing. There is hardly any aroma to speak of. It's mainly a sweet grainy smell. It tastes like water with some malt flavour added. It has a kind of nice buttery thing going on though. The intense carbonation makes it slightly acidic.

Not a very good beer. I wouldn't even buy this if money was tight. There are many other cheap beers that are better than this.

2.52/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a euro pint - convinced this type of glass is the most ideal for enjoyment of this style - makes the worst bearable.

This is the glass in question, which I have of late referred to several times:

Whatever....let's not edit the notes into something fantasmic.

This beer falls flat, despite its huge 2-3" head, which disappears slow, leaves a decent-looking cap/blanket on top and actually some lacing. Color of a pale, cheap/fake yellow-gold.

The stink hits you immediately, y no bueno. Industrial grain and chemical. Smells like the can. Dry, musty, stale/stiff. Nasty crab grass or stale dirty ole hops, and I want to say corny as well.

Sabor - little bit of sweetness up front - malty? That darn grain and some bitter/carb flares in the way back. A chewing-gummy/pink-rubbery tang hovers. Some weak residual cornbread is found sitting on tongue with some time between sips. Not much going on otherwise - one-dimensional. But nothing horrible, though.

Kind of a softish, smooth feel. No harsh carb bite throughout though the gas hides - big burps later. Not too much slime left behind, despite the gum. Not as dry in the middle as most.

The taste and smell hurts this beer the most. About average as far as crap can lagers go.

3.33/5  rDev +39.3%

I used to drink Carling in the UK while stationed in the Air Force and I wanted it again. But, after a long query with distributors, I came to the sad conclusion that this beer was unavailable to me down here in SC. But then, some friends of mine told me they were taking a road trip to Canada, so I asked them to grab me some and sure enough they returned with a case of bottles !

The taste is simple, reminds me of apple butter on a saltine cracker, finishes dry and crisp leaving you ready for another sip.

If anyone else in the Charlotte area goes to Canada, I'll pay for a case of Carling Black Label.

2.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Straw golden appearance with fluffy head. Smell is sweet with a grassy/cereal hint.

Taste Was something that was hard to detect, it has a sweet, citrus taste to it. Picked up a hint of corn and malt. Very watery body with high carbonation. Aftertaste is dry and a bit sour.

Overall, this is a mediocre lager, but for the price it is okay. Would recommend if your on a budget, otherwise it's pretty boring.

2.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Coming out of seeing a movie downtown with a few friends, and we decided to have a brew at the nearest open pub to where they parked. Hmmm. Turns out this meant the Richelieu bar, a place I've walked past countless times, yet never felt the need to darken the doorstep.

This beer, the only thing on tap, pours a very clear, very pale yellow colour, with one finger of thin soapy white head, which fizzes away quickly, leaving a small irregular ring of lace around the glass. It smells of mild corn/rice sweetness, and faint weedy hops. The taste is sweet, fibrous corn, a tiny inkling of grainy malt, a bit of nail polish, and a mild weedy hop dryness. The carbonation is moderate, the body light, spritzy, and clingy. It finishes off-dry, mostly a soft sweet grain alcohol essence.

A very plain, boring lager, par for the course, though nothing offensive, and unsurprisingly adequate for guzzlin' in the local dive bar.

1.67/5  rDev -30.1%

A neighbor gave me one of these last night. He bought a case trying to save some bucks from buying his traditional Bud case. What can I say: this beer is pretty bad. It looks fine. Nice and clear with great carbonation, but it tastes so husky and grain like that it almost makes me cringe after each swallow. This one is for the end of the night after you've blacked out or maybe if you want to shotgun a beer with some friends. Not good.

2.2/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is what you expect. Not much flavor, the taste is more than a bud lite. Finishes crisp and it's over. Now I will say that there is a bit of skunky hops flavor that is a positive. Drinkable beer than rips hole in your stomach. But for a cheap pilsner it's actually drinkable. Take over a Bud any day of the week.

NOTE!! This is NOT the same CARLING Pete Coors is brewing in the UK.

1.6/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Went away for the weekend with a bunch of friends and each of us was responsible for a case of beer each. I brought a Great Divide mixed case and we had atleast 6 people bring your standard BMC products. The final guest arrived with a case of this brew. Never saw this exact product, but British friends always talk about drinking massive quantities of Carling products.

One of the lightest beers i have ever seen, im not even sure how to classify it - very pale straw color and overly carbonated to boot. Smell is almost non existant... no beer smell but hints of cooked vegtables. Tastes so light, it could be a small beer made from the runnings of a small beers small beer runnings. Blows your mind, huh? Very slight metallic taste. Almost like carbonated pond water flavored with a few strands of dried grass. Light, thin, overly carbonated. One of the few beers that made me wish i had a BMC light product.

2.95/5  rDev +23.4%

12 ounce can - $2.25 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Incredibly clear body with just a hint of yellow to it and capped by a thin, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Sadly, a near vacant nose with only the mere faintest hints of light pale malts and a few sweetish cereal grain notes.

Taste: Rather light pale maltiness, a tad grainy, and with a cereal sweetness to it. Meager hint of corn. Faint touch of floral hops and an altogether minimal amount of bitterness. Finishes clean and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm told my grandfather has a fan of this beer back in the 50's and 60's. Nothing inherently wrong, there are no off-flavors, but it's all just sooo thin in every regard that you'd swear it was a self-designed light lager.

3.13/5  rDev +31%

When I was a kid, my parents liked to take weekend trips to various food factories. It was fun, interesting, educational and, best of all, free. I remember going on tours of Kellogg's in Battle Creek, MI; Hershey's in Hershey, PA, the Ballreich potato chip plant in Tiffin, OH; a Heinz pickle factory; and the old Carling brewery in Cleveland, OH. I've been looking to review Black Label for some time now, for sentimental purposes. Thanks biegaman.

Pale straw with a few, fine, wispy floaters that eventually sink to the bottom of the glass. The cream white cap looks pretty good. It's soft and whipped frothy, gains some character as it melts, and is fairly generous when it comes to creating lace.

This must be a fresh bottle. The aroma is untoasted grain-like, with a musky hoppiness that will most likely be needed to offset what smells like a bit of cereal grain sweetness. Not bad at all, considering the style, with very little impending nastiness.

Black Label isn't horrible by any means and is actually drinkable in a straight shootin', lack of bells and whistles kind of way. Sure, it tastes like simple grain and musky hops, but I've had a helluva lot worse. Warming might bring badness, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

There really isn't any more to comment on regarding the flavor. There's a bit of underlying sweetness that is nicely balanced by more hops than one usually experiences in beer of this sort. The finish is clean and could even be described as semi-crisp. Keep this stuff on the cold side and it would be a more than adequate warm weather picnic brew.

The mouthfeel stays well away from watery, which is yet another surprise. There's some substance there and even a hint of creaminess born of near perfect carbonation. The bubbles are energetic without being annoying about it.

I've tried very hard not to let sentimentality influence this review... and am pretty sure I've succeeded. Carling Black Label won't make anyone forget Rochefort 10, but it's a solid brew of the old school sort that, in the right circumstances, can be counted on to do its job well. Not only that, but it beats America's most popular beer by a country mile.

2.1/5  rDev -12.1%

I'm trying to be fair. This is one of the beers that I used to get simply because I wanted to drink beer... back in my teenage days. Don't do it. It's really awful. If you have no money and simply HAVE to have a beer... buy something else. I'm sorry that sounds like I'm slamming it, it's just truly awful.

Black Label is my third favorite poundah to have on hand, after Narragansett and Schlitz. Its got some taste, and the price is right. $6 for 15 cans... I recommend with reservations because it is brewed by Molson-Coors now, which is, in my eyes, a corporation whose leadership has an anti-worker ideological slant and history. Politics aside, it gets the job done better than most.

Normal appearance, moderate carbonation when sipped from the can (not too much, mind you). Flavor is some cereal and slight hop bitterness. Certainly some crisp, mildly sweet corn, but overall has a pretty dry finish.

3.29/5  rDev +37.7%

Found one of these in my friends fridge recently. Was shocked to say the least. This is one of those people who wouldn't be caught dead drinking from a can. He quickly backtracked and explained "it's my go-to beer pong beer." That I can attest to.

If you like cheap and drinkable beer that still has some sort of taste and substance, this is definitely for you. While it has the characteristics of macro lager written all over it, it just has that little extra quality that makes you say "hey this isn't half bad." Definitely its best and most prominent quality is the drinkability. It better be smooth and easy drinking if its going to be someones "beer pong beer."

Carling Black Label from Molson Coors Canada