Carling Black Label - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiloh on 02-17-2003

A contemporary lager beer with a light, crisp, refreshing aroma and taste.
to view more.
Ratings: 166 | Reviews: 64
Reviews by granger10:
1.5/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the clearest non-light beers I have seen. Head doesn't really maintain itself. Smells like stale bread, maybe cardboard, a little astringent. Taste has a fake creamed corn adjunctyness to it. A bit medicinal and cardboard in the finish. Body is lacking. I am always willing to try cheap beers in hopes of finding another PBR or MHL but this certainly wasn't it. Worse than tasteless, this was bad.

2.85/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Curiosity got the best of me and Black Label made it to the top of my to-do list. When making the purchase the older male cashier asked "Black label? Do you normally drink that." I knew I was in for something unusual with a reputation I had no idea about.

Opening the box the bottles were dusty, making it obvious this isn't a go to beer for the average beer drinker. I cracked the bottle and poured it into a glass. Very light yellow colour, not much foam, carbonation okay, and smells cheap.

First sip and my conclusion, not too bad. For the price there's a lot worse out there. I had no struggle getting through the case, in fact the only reason I haven't bought this again is because I have to drive out of my way to get it at the beer store. Not carried at all locations. I don't know why, compared to all the other discount beers out there Black Label is pretty damn good.

Good for summer BBQ's, relaxing watching the game, any occasion where you just want a decent beer. Can't go wrong for the price!

2.11/5  rDev -11.7%

Notes are from a fresh can taken home from a party yesterday afternoon and drunk (and subsequently poured out) this afternoon.

This is a pale gold, a bit deeper and darker than straw. A half finger of white foam serves as the head for a few seconds and then leaves a remainder along the edge of the glass that leaves a few spots of lacing.
TGhe problem with some AALs is that there's simply nothing to them. That's not so bad as the ones that are actually offensive. This one leans toward the former, fortunately.
The aroma is completely nondescript and barely detectable. Grains, very light notes of malt and a lame sweetness is pretty much it.
The flavor is about the same with the addition of a very light dose of hops that is so light that it attempts bitter and just ends up adding another element in the flavor. At least it has that going for it, although "musty" isn't the greatest attribute. Regardless, more comes through than on the nose for sure.
The mouthfeel isn't that bad for the style; it is light and a little slick, but it's crisp and it does its job pretty much as demanded. It's what the BMC crowd expects.
I drank enough to review this thing, then it was down the drain.

2.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Coming out of seeing a movie downtown with a few friends, and we decided to have a brew at the nearest open pub to where they parked. Hmmm. Turns out this meant the Richelieu bar, a place I've walked past countless times, yet never felt the need to darken the doorstep.

This beer, the only thing on tap, pours a very clear, very pale yellow colour, with one finger of thin soapy white head, which fizzes away quickly, leaving a small irregular ring of lace around the glass. It smells of mild corn/rice sweetness, and faint weedy hops. The taste is sweet, fibrous corn, a tiny inkling of grainy malt, a bit of nail polish, and a mild weedy hop dryness. The carbonation is moderate, the body light, spritzy, and clingy. It finishes off-dry, mostly a soft sweet grain alcohol essence.

A very plain, boring lager, par for the course, though nothing offensive, and unsurprisingly adequate for guzzlin' in the local dive bar.

1.78/5  rDev -25.5%

I never bothered to review this before, but while I am waiting for a serviceman..beer cheese smell, a little taste, thin, fizzy carbonation. A little white head on yellow. One has to be very thirsty to try, however not the worst macro I have swallowed.

1.18/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Just awful. A real nose plugger.

2.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours "lager yellow" (potential Crayola color?) with a half inch white head. Smells typically lagerish, with an edge of skunk, typical of these nouveu hip cheap beers. Tastes pretty OK, with a little malty sweetness and more flavor than some other pale lagers. Mouthfell is too full, almost sticky, but I could see downing a couple of these in one sitting, assuming I had no alternative.

2.41/5  rDev +0.8%

I have funny memories of this beer, thanks to a cheap ex-roommate who would drink my import and craft beers, promise to replace them and then return from a beer run . . . with this.

Putting my "nostalgia" aside, there wasn't a lot to remember about this beer — despite the recent sampling, complete with notes. It poured into my pint glass a pale gold with a compact one-finger head. The smell was faint — almost non-existent. What little I could smell was malty, corny and sweet. Same for the taste, though relatively speaking, this beer isn't bad for one made with adjuncts: bready malt, husky grain and sweet corn that left a bit of a film on the palate. The body was thin and watery, probably the most unpleasant aspect of what was otherwise a nondescript experience.

2.43/5  rDev +1.7%

o.k.,

so this is a shit beer, and I don't deny that for a second..but i have to disagree with the Bros. that it should be avoided, it should only be avoided if you have more than 2$ to spend on beer...
coming home from work today, I decided to stop by the local bodega for something refreshing.. Carling's Black label 40 oz.. so it's trashy, but if the Bros. can profess to love PBR, then I feel confident that i can say this is average beer, nothing out of the ordinary, malt, hops(barely), water and yeast (and some other shit I probably don't want to think about)..I also like it a bit. perhaps its only nostalgia, or perhaps my palate is sooo unrefined, but I don't find myself hating this beer....
and that's as far as I'll go..

yellow, fizzy, some lace, alcohol, and in my subjective experience, not as noxious as some other shit beer.

note. I just saw that this is cross referenced with beers from Brooklyn, Sam Smith's, Victory and Otter Creek. If you are offered a choice, don't be a shmuck, choose anything else...

1.1/5  rDev -54%

Bottle: Poor fizzy yellow lager with no taste or aroma except for the usual macro corn syrup. Cannot believe that this is the best selling beer in the UK since 1971! You could have thought that they could have done better with the wide array of choice of decent beer (Bass, Bodingtons...)

Black Label is my third favorite poundah to have on hand, after Narragansett and Schlitz. Its got some taste, and the price is right. $6 for 15 cans... I recommend with reservations because it is brewed by Molson-Coors now, which is, in my eyes, a corporation whose leadership has an anti-worker ideological slant and history. Politics aside, it gets the job done better than most.

Normal appearance, moderate carbonation when sipped from the can (not too much, mind you). Flavor is some cereal and slight hop bitterness. Certainly some crisp, mildly sweet corn, but overall has a pretty dry finish.

2.11/5  rDev -11.7%

My friend, knowing my love of good beer, got me a 6-pack of these for my birthday... As a joke of course.

It looks like any other pale lager. Nothing exciting, but not unappealing. There is hardly any aroma to speak of. It's mainly a sweet grainy smell. It tastes like water with some malt flavour added. It has a kind of nice buttery thing going on though. The intense carbonation makes it slightly acidic.

Not a very good beer. I wouldn't even buy this if money was tight. There are many other cheap beers that are better than this.

2.1/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a very pale straw color. Almost clear. It has a very tall light head that took a while to fall and left lace on the glass. Smells slightly yeasty, a little citrusy, and a little moldy. Not too happy with the scent of it. The taste is a little sweet, not bitter at all, finishes fairly clean, though. Tastes like they brewed it with nothing but adjuncts, which wouldn't surprise me, given the (lack of) color. I taste no malt at all. The mouthfeel is a little weak, a little foamy, but not much else. All in all, it's fairly drinkable, mostly because it doesn't have any flavor, but there are plenty of flavorless beers out there that don't smell as bad. I won't be buying it again.

3.7/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Carling Black Label has a thick, white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and some lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is standard: grain husks, sweetness, and straight-up beer. Taste is the same: sweet grain, sourness, a touch of bitter, some bite, and "that beer flavor". Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Carling Black Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and very dry. Some metallic taste shows up, which is usually the case with canned beer, regardless of what is claimed by the major media. Overall, I think this is a very good beer and it should pair well with a burger and fries. Check it out, if you ever run across it.

RJT

3.07/5  rDev +28.5%

Some odd marketing going on here - the Canadian maple leaf is shown prominently on the can, as is the notation "made in the USA."

Poured a rather frighteningly glowing yellow-gold, which I'd peg as exactly urine colored. Not much hops, and the malt leaves no question that a lot of corn is involved here. But, taking the beer for what it is - an old-school really cheap beer, I found it surprisingly refreshing. There was an apple cider tartness that almost had some Beliner Kindle Weiss tang to it. This has lake beer written all over it. Lower your expectations, and this beer will strive to be average.

1.06/5  rDev -55.6%

Mabel, Black Label! *whistle!* Or so the old commercial from the 60's used to go, way before my time. Along with Molson Pilsner and now Big Rock's AGD, Black Label is a standard among the blue collar low paid working class. And I salute them, it's a rough ride to bust your ass every day just to barely scrape by, as I was one of them when I first graduated from art college.

Still, it's not very good beer, all that said and done. Poured from its unmistakable black can and recognizable label, it's clear and pale yellow, quite a bit of carbonation, and it produced a fairly impressive white head ay first. That quickly receded to a wafer thin ring. The aroma is pretty much summed up with the word acrid, plus sickly sweet and pungent come to mind as well. Do not put your nose near this beer. The flavour is a lot mellower, watered down sweet corn and grain, a very caustic texture on the aftertaste, not smooth by any means. The more this warms up, the more flavour it loses, and more additive-riddled sandpaper texture it picks up. If you're going to drink this, it has to be ice cold and out of the can in order to screen out the off-flavours and to prevent any aroma from escaping. May cause trauma.

2.8/5  rDev +17.2%

This isn't the best beer but it is known as a budget beer. It has a taste of malt and smells like it. It pours a goldy yellow color and is less liquid than water and taste better than most beers. Overall this is an ok beer if you don't want a lot of beer and you want to pay a ok price.

2.16/5  rDev -9.6%

Found in my house. 341mL bottle, no freshness statement. Poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance is light straw, classic macro soapy white head. Streaming bubbles and decent retention. No lacing.

Aromas are grains, sweet malt, corn. Fairly sweet and subtle. No noticeable hop bitterness. Some erroneous sourness (apple vinegar). If I let it warm up I'm sure I'll be able to pick out some nice stuff... do I dare?

Aggressive carbonation stings the mouth, sweet palate as expected. Pretty low on flavour (rice?). Light body, watery. Corn, diacetyl, refined sugar. Creamy medium length cloying finish that isn't all that appetizing.

2.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a very light, almost clear, straw hue, with no head to speak of.

The smell was rather non-existant. A faint aroma of adjunct graininess.

The taste was very light. Adjunct grain dominated. A mild biscuity and sweet aftertaste. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

The mouthfeel was light and suprisingly clean. Good carbonation.

Overall a drinkable beer for what it is - cheap swill. Honestly you could do a lot worse than this. Not to say I would ever buy it again, but would make due if it was the only beer in the cooler.

2.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Brewed by Heileman in Milwaukee - 12 oz. can poured [hard] into a mug

Carling Black Label poured a clear pale yellow [straw like] color with a larger thin head that dissipated rather fast to a thinner collar/ring of film with no lacing. Aroma is clean, faint, of very light corn/grains. Taste is mild, not very complex, very light in hops with a slight bitter dry finish. Mouth feel is thin, a little watery and has fizzy carbonation. Black Label fits the macro category well.

It has been many [many] years since I have tasted Black Label...about the same as I remembered. Drink it cold on a warm day.

3.03/5  rDev +26.8%

An average Canadian lager with a pretty face..Very typical of the major Canadian macro's lager class...Certainly drinkable and refreshing but nothing to distinguish itself from its peers with the exception of its appearance..
Full bodied, slight yeasty aroma and fairly well balanced leaning slightly towards the hops, but ever so.
I am glad we met and hope to again..

2.28/5  rDev -4.6%

Carling Black Label...

Appearance-fizzy yellow head, over active carbonation, muddy color.

Smell-grains, adjuncts, alcohol, fusel notes.

Taste/Mouthfeel-actually a rather full taste but the flavor is grainy with adjuncts coming through, thin watery feel like most macros on the way down.

Drinkability-another lawnmower style beer, fine in those moments but not something very satisfying.

Overall-similar in taste to me to something like Pabst Blue Ribbon, cheap passable lager out of a can and perhaps comparable to BMC but still, nothing to seek out.

4.55/5  rDev +90.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer, HANDS DOWN! I'm an archivist, a historian, a citizen preserving the best of the past within a seamless tapestry of the present. Carling Black Label is a "golden light lager with a subtle hint of hops." Delicious in every respect, CBL is IT! Go to your local watering hole and say, "Tell me about IT!" Then, drink IT!

3.3/5  rDev +38.1%

First of all, the Carling Black Label I just had came in a red can with a similar design to the bottle I saw of Black Label 8.0%. Looking at other reviews, there seems to be some disparity over which brewer makes this. My can was made by G. Heileman Brewing Co. in Milwaukee, a subsidiary of Stroh's, which sold out to Miller in 1999, I believe. This is not a Canadian beer, contrary to what the big maple leaf on the can would have you believe.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I'm not a big fan of the macro lager but every now and then they are refreshing and this was the one beer at the bar at work (ski resort) that I had never had before.

A: Deeper golden than most macros, very clear, fairly small head recedes quickly with no lacing. Not the worst looking beer I've ever seen.

S: Very mild...doesn't reek of corn and this particular one had not skunkiness (some other reviewers seem to). Not overly appetizing but a leg up on most macros whose smells make me recoil in horror.

T: Taste was mild and not at all complex, but definitely one of the best macros I've had in a while. Has a little "real" beer flavor while avoiding metallic tastes (even from the can), skunkiness, or heavy corn/cereal flavors. Slightly bitter as it warms, but with little aftertaste. Again, not the best, but drinkable for me.

M: I was pleasantly surprised again here. It wasn't horrifyingly over-carbonated, and it didn't seem as watery as other macros.

D: I didn't hurt that it was quite cold or that I was tired, sore, and thirsty from teaching snowboard lessons all day, but I daresay I would drink one of these again (if my options were only macros). This is one of the best (in my humble opinion) examples of a style that is generally terrible. (Best of the worst?)

1.6/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Went away for the weekend with a bunch of friends and each of us was responsible for a case of beer each. I brought a Great Divide mixed case and we had atleast 6 people bring your standard BMC products. The final guest arrived with a case of this brew. Never saw this exact product, but British friends always talk about drinking massive quantities of Carling products.

One of the lightest beers i have ever seen, im not even sure how to classify it - very pale straw color and overly carbonated to boot. Smell is almost non existant... no beer smell but hints of cooked vegtables. Tastes so light, it could be a small beer made from the runnings of a small beers small beer runnings. Blows your mind, huh? Very slight metallic taste. Almost like carbonated pond water flavored with a few strands of dried grass. Light, thin, overly carbonated. One of the few beers that made me wish i had a BMC light product.

to view more.