Carling Black Label - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiloh on 02-17-2003

A contemporary lager beer with a light, crisp, refreshing aroma and taste.
Reviews by stinkydaddy:
1.75/5  rDev -30.6%

2.85/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Curiosity got the best of me and Black Label made it to the top of my to-do list. When making the purchase the older male cashier asked "Black label? Do you normally drink that." I knew I was in for something unusual with a reputation I had no idea about.

Opening the box the bottles were dusty, making it obvious this isn't a go to beer for the average beer drinker. I cracked the bottle and poured it into a glass. Very light yellow colour, not much foam, carbonation okay, and smells cheap.

First sip and my conclusion, not too bad. For the price there's a lot worse out there. I had no struggle getting through the case, in fact the only reason I haven't bought this again is because I have to drive out of my way to get it at the beer store. Not carried at all locations. I don't know why, compared to all the other discount beers out there Black Label is pretty damn good.

Good for summer BBQ's, relaxing watching the game, any occasion where you just want a decent beer. Can't go wrong for the price! (1,012 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +29%

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

2.11/5  rDev -16.3%

Notes are from a fresh can taken home from a party yesterday afternoon and drunk (and subsequently poured out) this afternoon.

This is a pale gold, a bit deeper and darker than straw. A half finger of white foam serves as the head for a few seconds and then leaves a remainder along the edge of the glass that leaves a few spots of lacing.
TGhe problem with some AALs is that there's simply nothing to them. That's not so bad as the ones that are actually offensive. This one leans toward the former, fortunately.
The aroma is completely nondescript and barely detectable. Grains, very light notes of malt and a lame sweetness is pretty much it.
The flavor is about the same with the addition of a very light dose of hops that is so light that it attempts bitter and just ends up adding another element in the flavor. At least it has that going for it, although "musty" isn't the greatest attribute. Regardless, more comes through than on the nose for sure.
The mouthfeel isn't that bad for the style; it is light and a little slick, but it's crisp and it does its job pretty much as demanded. It's what the BMC crowd expects.
I drank enough to review this thing, then it was down the drain. (1,192 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Coming out of seeing a movie downtown with a few friends, and we decided to have a brew at the nearest open pub to where they parked. Hmmm. Turns out this meant the Richelieu bar, a place I've walked past countless times, yet never felt the need to darken the doorstep.

This beer, the only thing on tap, pours a very clear, very pale yellow colour, with one finger of thin soapy white head, which fizzes away quickly, leaving a small irregular ring of lace around the glass. It smells of mild corn/rice sweetness, and faint weedy hops. The taste is sweet, fibrous corn, a tiny inkling of grainy malt, a bit of nail polish, and a mild weedy hop dryness. The carbonation is moderate, the body light, spritzy, and clingy. It finishes off-dry, mostly a soft sweet grain alcohol essence.

A very plain, boring lager, par for the course, though nothing offensive, and unsurprisingly adequate for guzzlin' in the local dive bar. (922 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -29.4%

I never bothered to review this before, but while I am waiting for a serviceman..beer cheese smell, a little taste, thin, fizzy carbonation. A little white head on yellow. One has to be very thirsty to try, however not the worst macro I have swallowed. (252 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

1.18/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Just awful. A real nose plugger. (32 characters)

2.57/5  rDev +2%

Pours "lager yellow" (potential Crayola color?) with a half inch white head. Smells typically lagerish, with an edge of skunk, typical of these nouveu hip cheap beers. Tastes pretty OK, with a little malty sweetness and more flavor than some other pale lagers. Mouthfell is too full, almost sticky, but I could see downing a couple of these in one sitting, assuming I had no alternative. (387 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +38.9%

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

2.41/5  rDev -4.4%

I have funny memories of this beer, thanks to a cheap ex-roommate who would drink my import and craft beers, promise to replace them and then return from a beer run . . . with this.

Putting my "nostalgia" aside, there wasn't a lot to remember about this beer — despite the recent sampling, complete with notes. It poured into my pint glass a pale gold with a compact one-finger head. The smell was faint — almost non-existent. What little I could smell was malty, corny and sweet. Same for the taste, though relatively speaking, this beer isn't bad for one made with adjuncts: bready malt, husky grain and sweet corn that left a bit of a film on the palate. The body was thin and watery, probably the most unpleasant aspect of what was otherwise a nondescript experience. (776 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -3.6%

o.k.,

so this is a shit beer, and I don't deny that for a second..but i have to disagree with the Bros. that it should be avoided, it should only be avoided if you have more than 2$ to spend on beer...
coming home from work today, I decided to stop by the local bodega for something refreshing.. Carling's Black label 40 oz.. so it's trashy, but if the Bros. can profess to love PBR, then I feel confident that i can say this is average beer, nothing out of the ordinary, malt, hops(barely), water and yeast (and some other shit I probably don't want to think about)..I also like it a bit. perhaps its only nostalgia, or perhaps my palate is sooo unrefined, but I don't find myself hating this beer....
and that's as far as I'll go..

yellow, fizzy, some lace, alcohol, and in my subjective experience, not as noxious as some other shit beer.

note. I just saw that this is cross referenced with beers from Brooklyn, Sam Smith's, Victory and Otter Creek. If you are offered a choice, don't be a shmuck, choose anything else... (1,042 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -30.6%