Carling Black Label - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiloh on 02-17-2003

A contemporary lager beer with a light, crisp, refreshing aroma and taste.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 165 | Reviews: 63

4.84/5  rDev +101.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My prefered. It's a beer for real man enjoy a real beer, strong like a men, gente=le like a gentlemen, not a women beer, only for biker, or rocker man. Not for woossy or pussy just a beer for a man want to drink a beer to be satisfing is taste, and no after taste. You will be appetite for destrustion after it, and gently resolved after...THE BEST ONE!!!!

4.66/5  rDev +94.2%

Poured into a frosted 16 oz glass. Very thick head, golden brown in appearance. Smell is not at all offensive. Very little hops, somewhat grainy flavor. Overall, one of the best value beers I've tasted. Would highly recommend this for an inexpensive drink with a nice flavor. I drank about 16-20 of these in my first sitting, with 5% ABV I was highly intoxicated but I couldn't stop myself. Be careful, Carling Canada's Black Label is impossible to put down.

4.55/5  rDev +89.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer, HANDS DOWN! I'm an archivist, a historian, a citizen preserving the best of the past within a seamless tapestry of the present. Carling Black Label is a "golden light lager with a subtle hint of hops." Delicious in every respect, CBL is IT! Go to your local watering hole and say, "Tell me about IT!" Then, drink IT!

3.83/5  rDev +59.6%

This is a very good beer. It pours a clear golden yello colour into the glass with very little head. The aroma has a malty, earthy aroma...nothing spectacular. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and crisp with some mild carbonation that grabs the tongue in all the right places. The taste is that of a full bodied beer with a malty grainy flavour that lasts through the entire glass. Like the majority of macro lagers in North America, this beer is best enjoyed cold.

3.75/5  rDev +56.3%

3.75/5  rDev +56.3%

3.7/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Carling Black Label has a thick, white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and some lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is standard: grain husks, sweetness, and straight-up beer. Taste is the same: sweet grain, sourness, a touch of bitter, some bite, and "that beer flavor". Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Carling Black Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and very dry. Some metallic taste shows up, which is usually the case with canned beer, regardless of what is claimed by the major media. Overall, I think this is a very good beer and it should pair well with a burger and fries. Check it out, if you ever run across it.

RJT

3.55/5  rDev +47.9%

i like this beer for a cheap beer

3.54/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yields 1 finger of rocky snow white head with poor retention. Crystal clear very pale yellow liquid. Very carbonated. Better retention and darker yellow color with less fizz would be appreciated.
S: Corn, bread, noble hops. Slight metallic aroma. Fairly nice.
T: Fairly mild and balanced. Tasty but slight metallic flavor detracts. Nothing bad, nothing great.
M: A bit too fizzy.
D: Could drink a few of these. I wouldn't buy, but wouldn't pass one up if offered.

3.5/5  rDev +45.8%

3.5/5  rDev +45.8%

3.35/5  rDev +39.6%

A beer my Dad used to enjoy, back in the day. Picked up a case of 12 oz cans in Carlisle, PA. It's a warm, humid day and this is a beer that goes down easy. Has a good taste, makes me want to reach for another. This is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers....and that's a good thing.

3.33/5  rDev +38.8%

I used to drink Carling in the UK while stationed in the Air Force and I wanted it again. But, after a long query with distributors, I came to the sad conclusion that this beer was unavailable to me down here in SC. But then, some friends of mine told me they were taking a road trip to Canada, so I asked them to grab me some and sure enough they returned with a case of bottles !

The taste is simple, reminds me of apple butter on a saltine cracker, finishes dry and crisp leaving you ready for another sip.

If anyone else in the Charlotte area goes to Canada, I'll pay for a case of Carling Black Label.

3.3/5  rDev +37.5%

First of all, the Carling Black Label I just had came in a red can with a similar design to the bottle I saw of Black Label 8.0%. Looking at other reviews, there seems to be some disparity over which brewer makes this. My can was made by G. Heileman Brewing Co. in Milwaukee, a subsidiary of Stroh's, which sold out to Miller in 1999, I believe. This is not a Canadian beer, contrary to what the big maple leaf on the can would have you believe.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I'm not a big fan of the macro lager but every now and then they are refreshing and this was the one beer at the bar at work (ski resort) that I had never had before.

A: Deeper golden than most macros, very clear, fairly small head recedes quickly with no lacing. Not the worst looking beer I've ever seen.

S: Very mild...doesn't reek of corn and this particular one had not skunkiness (some other reviewers seem to). Not overly appetizing but a leg up on most macros whose smells make me recoil in horror.

T: Taste was mild and not at all complex, but definitely one of the best macros I've had in a while. Has a little "real" beer flavor while avoiding metallic tastes (even from the can), skunkiness, or heavy corn/cereal flavors. Slightly bitter as it warms, but with little aftertaste. Again, not the best, but drinkable for me.

M: I was pleasantly surprised again here. It wasn't horrifyingly over-carbonated, and it didn't seem as watery as other macros.

D: I didn't hurt that it was quite cold or that I was tired, sore, and thirsty from teaching snowboard lessons all day, but I daresay I would drink one of these again (if my options were only macros). This is one of the best (in my humble opinion) examples of a style that is generally terrible. (Best of the worst?)

3.29/5  rDev +37.1%

Found one of these in my friends fridge recently. Was shocked to say the least. This is one of those people who wouldn't be caught dead drinking from a can. He quickly backtracked and explained "it's my go-to beer pong beer." That I can attest to.

If you like cheap and drinkable beer that still has some sort of taste and substance, this is definitely for you. While it has the characteristics of macro lager written all over it, it just has that little extra quality that makes you say "hey this isn't half bad." Definitely its best and most prominent quality is the drinkability. It better be smooth and easy drinking if its going to be someones "beer pong beer."

3.29/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This can was brewed in Australia.
The beer was pale with a distinctive yellowish hue.The bead was reasonably active but not much in the way of head retention.
Yet another tank water smelling lager , but brightened by a hint of maltiness.
Reasonably bitter and balanced throughout the palate,with some melon flavours right at the end.This balances quite well with the bitterness.
TA rwefreshing distinctive lager that I would drink again

3.25/5  rDev +35.4%

3.16/5  rDev +31.7%

3.13/5  rDev +30.4%

When I was a kid, my parents liked to take weekend trips to various food factories. It was fun, interesting, educational and, best of all, free. I remember going on tours of Kellogg's in Battle Creek, MI; Hershey's in Hershey, PA, the Ballreich potato chip plant in Tiffin, OH; a Heinz pickle factory; and the old Carling brewery in Cleveland, OH. I've been looking to review Black Label for some time now, for sentimental purposes. Thanks biegaman.

Pale straw with a few, fine, wispy floaters that eventually sink to the bottom of the glass. The cream white cap looks pretty good. It's soft and whipped frothy, gains some character as it melts, and is fairly generous when it comes to creating lace.

This must be a fresh bottle. The aroma is untoasted grain-like, with a musky hoppiness that will most likely be needed to offset what smells like a bit of cereal grain sweetness. Not bad at all, considering the style, with very little impending nastiness.

Black Label isn't horrible by any means and is actually drinkable in a straight shootin', lack of bells and whistles kind of way. Sure, it tastes like simple grain and musky hops, but I've had a helluva lot worse. Warming might bring badness, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

There really isn't any more to comment on regarding the flavor. There's a bit of underlying sweetness that is nicely balanced by more hops than one usually experiences in beer of this sort. The finish is clean and could even be described as semi-crisp. Keep this stuff on the cold side and it would be a more than adequate warm weather picnic brew.

The mouthfeel stays well away from watery, which is yet another surprise. There's some substance there and even a hint of creaminess born of near perfect carbonation. The bubbles are energetic without being annoying about it.

I've tried very hard not to let sentimentality influence this review... and am pretty sure I've succeeded. Carling Black Label won't make anyone forget Rochefort 10, but it's a solid brew of the old school sort that, in the right circumstances, can be counted on to do its job well. Not only that, but it beats America's most popular beer by a country mile.

3.07/5  rDev +27.9%

Some odd marketing going on here - the Canadian maple leaf is shown prominently on the can, as is the notation "made in the USA."

Poured a rather frighteningly glowing yellow-gold, which I'd peg as exactly urine colored. Not much hops, and the malt leaves no question that a lot of corn is involved here. But, taking the beer for what it is - an old-school really cheap beer, I found it surprisingly refreshing. There was an apple cider tartness that almost had some Beliner Kindle Weiss tang to it. This has lake beer written all over it. Lower your expectations, and this beer will strive to be average.

3.05/5  rDev +27.1%

This is quality swill in my book. I picked up a twelve pack of cans because I was curious, but also because the price is right. Sampled the first few straight out of the can. I poured one into a glass so I could look at it. Pours a light gold with little head and awesome carbonation. This is a good looking pale lager. Not much to the aroma of this one, smells slightly malty. Thin mouthfeel, finished very clean. The flavor is the best selling point for this beer. Tastes great compared to most of the other North American Pale Lagers. This one actually tastes better straight from the can. My usual swill is Strohs, but you can be sure that this one will be sharing some shelf space. Great cheap beer!

3.03/5  rDev +26.3%

An average Canadian lager with a pretty face..Very typical of the major Canadian macro's lager class...Certainly drinkable and refreshing but nothing to distinguish itself from its peers with the exception of its appearance..
Full bodied, slight yeasty aroma and fairly well balanced leaning slightly towards the hops, but ever so.
I am glad we met and hope to again..

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Carling Black Label from Molson Coors Canada