Xingu Black Beer - Cervejaria Sul Brasileira

Xingu Black BeerXingu Black Beer

Cervejaria Sul Brasileira visit their website
Brazil

Schwarzbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-20-2001)

Illmaticzx, Apr 22, 2012

khargro2, Jan 11, 2012
1.64/5  rDev -52.7%

CA_Jim, Sep 12, 2014
1.7/5  rDev -51%

wow, this beer really kinda sucked .... really failed in every department with the expectation of some good lacing ... holly hunter is a whore ... smells of odd old oil and burnt rainforest ... has a dirty taste to it ... bootsey threw up like ... a crappy brew..

Onslow, Jul 20, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

bruindre, May 04, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I got this in a variety pack from World Market.
This beer poured a nice black color. But there was absolutely no smell at all. It tasted like burnt plastic with a little bit of black licorace taste and a bit of chocolate. Had a watery mouth feel for the type.
Maybe I just got a bad bottle. But this I would not buy again.

likethetaste, Dec 14, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -42.9%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Pours a near black color with an ample tan foam. Retention is ok, lacing is good.

Nose has most of the typical German schwarzbier characteristics...roasty sweet malt and some black licorice and a hint of nuttiness. Some unexpected fruit pops up as well as a touch of cardboard.

Quite fruity for a lager, sourish notes with some strawberry tartness. Malts are all over the place: from nuts to roast to toffee sweetness. I remember not liking this beer 5 years ago when I first had it, and that feeling continues here. Just does not display any sort of identity and the multitude of flavors does not jive right for me. A sweetly acrid fruit flavor makes me want to pour this down the drain. Ugh, no bueno.

twiggamortis420, Sep 18, 2010

mjgrady, Nov 05, 2012

seedyone, Jun 18, 2014

psoriasaurus, Feb 03, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -41.5%

Hard to describe this. I can only think that this must have been a bad batch or the water to brew this in Brazil is so different than I am used to that it threw my pallet for a loop. I honestly equate this to Budweiser brewed with funky water. That was my immediate reaction. I will not get it again.

kfh227, Jul 14, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -40.9%

A fizzy, two fingers of latte deposits patchy lacing over a dark brown, almost black beer with red highlights.

Soap dominates the aroma while some toasted malt is in the background, but let's face it, what we have here is a bar of Ivory soap.

Burnt toast takes top billing, albeit marginally, over that soap. Bitterness comes on strong at first, but sweet malt quickly balances it out, however not in a pleasant way. Unfortunately, there is a long, light, bitter finish.

The body is light-to-medium, with a slick texture and prickly carbonation, followed by metallic astringency.

While I am happy to have tried Xingu, I am even more pleased to have only purchased one bottle. My flute glass, however, is recoiling from the experience. Brazil clearly has much more beauty than this beer would suggest to the uninitiated.

Looking at other people's reviews, perhaps I got hold of a clunker. I'll give it another shot, and amend my review, if this one proves to be an anomaly.

SLeffler27, Jul 26, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -40.1%

Got signed up for the beer of the month club--- so I got a 6 pack of this beer (which is widely distributed and available at nearly every store that I frequent).

Poured into a Pils glass.

Dark, chocolatey body is really a deep red when held up to a light... The dark tan head begins as 1 finger and slowly settles into a frothy film of micro-bubbles with some giant clumps of big soapy suds scattered sporadically. Lacing is actually decent-- chunks and rings hang hard to the side of the glass.

The smell is sweet. Rich, sweet, velvety malts. No noticeable hop notes in the nose... Caramel malt. Lots of it.

The taste is sweet. Very sweet. A little too sweet. Reminds me of Coca Cola-- sugary taste, sticky caramelized sugars that cling to your teeth, very carbonated. This isn't completely awful, but I'd say it isn't good. I had to save a bottle to review-- the others I gave away. I tried this once before, and decoded against reviewing it then... This time, I couldnt resist.

I won't buy this beer. I'm disappointed in the club for having two lousy selections. I'll review the other one soon.

AleWatcher, Dec 26, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -40.1%

Nice black color, almost no head. Smells very fruity, but with a slight hint of chemicals. Tastes less fruity than it smells. Motor oil taste hits about 1 second after. Aftertaste is awful. Now it smells like motor oil too. It smells much better 3 inches from the glass than just above.

guyatstore, Jan 02, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -38.6%

Pours a dark brown with some nice scarlet edges,the cap is sandy brown and leaves some adequate amounts of lace. The nose smells off in a rotten vegetable way,also smells like onion. The flavors within are not much better. This taste roasted with some underlying vinegar flavors that are a little bit offensive and just don't flow. A very dry finish doesn't help this strange offering. Looks nice and that's about all I can find worthy about this offering.

orangemoustache, Dec 16, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -37.5%

Dark black color, with a clear maroon revealed at the bottom of the glass. Head is small, just a thin tan layer. Smell has some light roasted malts, and slight grass. Taste is pretty bland. Small roasted malt in the flavor, but not very strong, slight malty grass, and not much in the way of hops. Beers from brazil haven't impressed me yet.

TastyTaste, Jul 21, 2005