1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Xingu Black Beer - Cervejaria Sul Brasileira

Xingu Black BeerXingu Black Beer

Cervejaria Sul Brasileira visit their website
Brazil

Schwarzbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-20-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 985 | Reviews: 538 | Show All Ratings:
sajaffe1

3.19/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Naples Beach brewery pint glass

A- This brew is pitch black with a light brown head. There is some lacing on the sides.

S- Smells quite sweet and malty with hints of dark fruit as well as some hop character.

T- This tasted burnt with a bit of hops. Sort of like a malta with no sugar added. Does not taste as good as it smells.

M- This beer is well carbonated.

O- This is an okay beer, but I am glad I tried it.

04-15-2013 01:08:06 | More by sajaffe1
smitty1080

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Didn't know what was going to come out as a "black beer".
I knew it was going to be dark and it didn't fail at that. As others have said, the head was gone before it could raise its temperature a degree. It had a nice light aroma of anise. The flavor that stood out most was anise followed by a slight sweetness. A light easy drinking beer that helps pass time when grilling.

09-13-2003 14:35:20 | More by smitty1080
OsuJohn

4.95/5  rDev +41.8%

Appearance: Dark, Black- Hence the name black beer. Very little head.

Smell: sweet, I'm not really sure how to describe it.

Taste: Wonderful! It does not taste how you think based on color. It is sweet and flavorful but light.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth, there is little carbonation so it feels watery smooth in your mouth.

Drinkability: You can sit down and drink the whole 6 pack no problem. This would be a great beer for anytime if you can find it or afford it.

Serving type: bottle then poured into a Guinness style glass.

05-18-2010 03:06:20 | More by OsuJohn
Karyyk

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev +16%

I was a bit disappointed with this one, not so much due to the fact that it was a bad beer, but because of the fact that I was truly expecting something new and different. To put it in the short, Xingu Black Beer (lager) seems to be, at least to me, an alcoholic version of Malta, a sweet, brew-like soft drink made by the likes of Siboney and Goya (a beverage that I'm told by my family has more or less existed in Cuba for years; I'll have to see if I can find some alcoholic malta on my next trip to Miami).

My initial disappointment aside, what you get from Xingu is actually quite delightful. A dark, porter-like color gives way to delightfully sweet and refreshing lager, that pours with a medium head that disappates to an almost frothy consistency. Taste is decidedly mild considering its stout appearance, sweet overall, with bitterness coming at the back-end. Mouthfeel is almost creamy, with the overall level of carbonation being fairly light.

Overall, I like it, but it's a bit pricy for what it is (I paid $8.99 for a six), and it's not really the kind of beer that you'll want to sit back and drink 12 of a night, even if it was less expensive. It's definitely a good surprise to spring on your beer-drinking friends (might keep a few on hand, right aside the Tusker). They'll like it (even if they won't buy it).

12-30-2004 13:39:48 | More by Karyyk
apratsunrthd

Tennessee

3.7/5  rDev +6%

A - definitely a black --super opaque with a light brown head and pretty lacing

B - like a finely brewed cup of coffee --nutty

T - thick but not too overbearing... the way a black should be.

M - as usual, I'm disappointed with too much carbonation. If I'd have poured it the night before, maybe it'd be better.

D - I could probably tear through a sixer. Not too heavy.

05-25-2008 02:22:07 | More by apratsunrthd
jellis00

4.75/5  rDev +36.1%

This was my first first experience with a black lager, boy was it good. I was instantly hooked on this beer for its subtle flavors, yet stays true to the lager feel.

I would say that I would prefer it on tap, though I doubt that is available near me.

The beer complements a Peruvian style dinner quite nicely. I would recommend this beer if you wish to drink a beer that does not detract your meal, but rather acts as a sorbet.

I am committed to this beer, and have locally found a distributor in my new current city.

11-01-2010 02:30:22 | More by jellis00
Jasel

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Imagine Miller High Life as a very dark beer....this would be it.

Appearance - Poured aggressively into my glass without any head and left not lacing. Very dark beer.

Smell - I get so little I really can't tell, though I am kind of stuffy.

Taste - I'm not getting much of anything.

Mouthfeel - Very fizzy and kind of watery.

Drinkability - I'm sure you can drink a lot of these, but the only purpose would be to get drunk. No need to revisit this one.

04-14-2009 00:22:03 | More by Jasel
nowise

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

So I had to try this because it is Brazilian. Luckally I was able to buy just one at a time. What a thick, syrupy beer. It really tasted good like chocolate malt or something and really filling. I felt like I should have drank this for dessert after a meal. I think if I would have drank more than one, it would have been overkill but definitely a good sipper. Smelled good too, but maybe mine was a little stale due to sitting on a shelf, unrefrigerated? I can't imagine there is a huge demand for this stuff.

03-12-2007 01:48:14 | More by nowise
brewmaster411

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

This is a schwartz (dark) beer. Simply put it is a lager with dark malts to give it a nice color and flavor profile. This is the beer to prove the people that dark does not necessarily mean bitter or heavy.

Appearance is almost jet black, it looks like a porter or stout, without the thick creamy head. Smell is slight coffee/roast aroma, no diacetyl or esters, somewhat malty. Taste has an underlying sweetness, very smooth and quaffable. Extremely smooth and very high drinkablility.

12-16-2006 05:08:59 | More by brewmaster411
bonapartist1

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Wow, pleasant. I'm really coming around to the schwarzbier style and it may be coming out as my favorite lager. Mouthfeel on this brazilian beer is thin but very pleasant, the taste roasty but subdued with mild sweetness - strangely, it reminds me almost of a really good brown ale. Very nice appearance - easily the best Brazilian beer I've had, not being a characterless pilsener.

09-20-2010 01:07:59 | More by bonapartist1
Foxxypants

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

Don't let the color or name scare you; it's a dark black beer that's incredibly smooth and drinkable. Doesn't leave that dark beer aftertaste (which I enjoy, myself).

If you see it, I recommend giving it a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Never judge... aw hell, you know the rest.

09-03-2010 02:51:23 | More by Foxxypants
sleepingbear

2.38/5  rDev -31.8%

Recuerdo cariñosamente esta cerveza de mi adolescencia. Esto es la manera más suave y más dulce que el tru cerveza negra que recuerdo. Esto era potable y tan domesticado como la torsión de la cima. Viva drinkability. Hacia abajo con originalidad.

I remember this lovingly as an adventurous beer of my youth. Back then it was exotic and different.

This is the sweeter and smoothest of the neo-schwartzbier far more tame and sweet than I remember from the 22oz.'s of my youth. This is now so drinkable and so domesticated and downright sweet.

The simplicity is disappointing. As the torsión of the top.

Long live drinkability! Downward with originality.

01-30-2007 09:07:00 | More by sleepingbear
BasementBrewerSF

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

very dark color with cream colored head. Head dissipated quickly.

smells schwartz-y.

The color totally throws me off. There is very little of the roasty or chocolaty notes. Full flavored malt profile with some back bone. No discernible hop overtones. Dark color does not represent the flavor. More of a light lager consistency yet very flavorful.

Interesting for a dark beer, solid execution. Has a mild tang that is refreshing and not overpowering.

Keep up the good work Brazil.

08-01-2011 00:49:07 | More by BasementBrewerSF
KraegerB

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Black, very black, tan-ish brown head, laces nicely.

Smell - faint smell of hops, molasses and roasted scents

Taste - Chocolate flavors, with hints of nuts finishing in a sweet dry flavor

Mouth feel - A lot of carbonation with a nice medium body.

Drinkability - It wasnt a bad beer I'd drink it again, nothing outstanding but a good beer.

03-27-2009 02:00:36 | More by KraegerB
GrizzlyBehr

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev +18.3%

poured from bottle into pint glass.

appearance- dark brown almost black body with inch thick caramel colored bubbly head that mostly dissipates after a min

smell- better than average smell, smells of malt, dark fruits

taste- is quite good a nice malty flavor, has a nice dark fruit flavor, medium in body, leaves a nice sweet aftertaste

mouthfeel- pretty good as well a nice coated feeling

overall- a good dark beer with a good balanced sweet malt flavor

07-28-2011 03:19:51 | More by GrizzlyBehr
msarver16

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a nonic glass.

Pour leaves a one inch head which quickly fades with little to no lacing.

Smells like...almost nothing. Faint hints of coffee-ish dark malt.

Tastes like...very similar to the nose. Super super light. I like schwarzbiers for their light but roasty profile, but this is incredibly light. Hints of coffee, chocolate, and bud light.

Overall mouthfeel was OK. Average carbonation, nothing offensive at all, nothing that impresses either.

I did not really enjoy this beer, just came up short for me.

02-17-2012 05:52:03 | More by msarver16
HuppMJH

4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

Look - Pours a very dark brown/red; basically black. Thin tan head that seems quite delicate.

Smell - I catch a fruity aroma with a hint of nuttiness. Possibly even a bit of chocolate.

Taste - Fruity, like passion fruit or lychee with a bit of whisky or rum. Nutty finish.

Very smooth and subtle. From the look of the beer I was expecting a fuller taste, although I am still surprised by the beer's complexity. This would be a great beer to take out around the camp fire or fishing.

Good beer, but as I said before, it would be nice if it had more of a porter or stout strength to the taste.

11-04-2010 21:48:26 | More by HuppMJH
Guitarctica

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this up in a build your own six pack at whole foods. The name seemed interesting. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Very very dark brown to near black in color. One finger of tan head that takes its time dissipating. Nice lacing on glass, but it doesn't stick, so you have to be looking for it.

S - Very nice smell actually. Sort of like grapes with alcohol in the background. Very similar to wine. Maybe merlot. Not much else, but this is a good start.

T - Kind of a disappointment to be honest. Seems very watered down. Roasted malts is just about all I taste. Not much character. The finish is not hoppy but sort of medicinal. I realize this style of beer is supposed to be more refreshing, but this was not.

M - Watery on the palate. Light bodied, and finishes dry. Pretty smooth i guess, but in a "this is it?" sort of way.

D - Easy to drink for sure, but because the taste and mouthfeel are disappointing, I couldn't drink more than one of these in a night. I was looking for something else to drink after I finished this.

Final Thoughts - Despite the way it looks, this is not a stout or a porter, but a black beer; a lager I think. So it shouldn't be judged as one. I know it isn't supposed to be a very heavy or complex beer, but this still seemed sub-par to me and not very refreshing. The smell was the best part of this beer.

02-16-2011 16:43:47 | More by Guitarctica
doubledteague

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Was very unsure about this, Im not a fan of stouts, and this looked like a stout just not as thick. Dark color THin tan head disipates quickly.

S- Definately smells of roasted malts, which had me worried even further.

T- Very surprising, tasted the roasted malts, but not thick and heavy like stouts.

M- Light, and medium to light carbonation.

O- I was very surprised about this one, I dont much care for stouts or porters, someone conviced me to try this, so I did. First "black beer" ive ever tried and was pleased with it. You get the flavor of the roasted malts without the heaviness of the stouts.

Reviewed 10/26/11 @ 2000

10-27-2011 01:51:05 | More by doubledteague
suglis

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev +16%

I've had this in both the small 12oz bottle and the larger black 1.5l bottles, which taste the same but damn that big bottle was cool. This is a fine example of a good drinking schwarzbier -- not heavy or chewy like a porter or stout, but flavorful and rich nonetheless. My second (or third) of these started to taste a bit flat, but maybe my tongue was simply going numb.

03-06-2003 05:40:14 | More by suglis
rshwayder

Rhode Island

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

One of my favorite beers when it's fresh, though it can't be found in terribly many places. Unfortunately, since it's not very common and not too many people buy it, sometimes when you purchase a Xingu it's a bit old.

This is a sweet dark beer with a great taste. The only true weakness of this beer is that it's a little thinner in texture than you might expect based on how incredibly dark it looks, but it's extremely delicious.

01-16-2008 19:14:13 | More by rshwayder
mkopera24

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

The appearance was an almost black, coffee, porter dark. Nice head of foam. I was very impressed, b/c I really like dark beers.

The smell definitely had coffee, chocolatey hints to it. I could tell it was going to be a bit hoppy. Which I like.

The taste did almost fool me. I thought it was going to be a porter, but it was a very hoppy (sweet at the front of the mouth, but a little more bitter towards the back of the tongue.)

Very smooth as far as mouthfeel is concerned. A bit of a creamy feel at first.
But it's drinkability was pretty good. I had about 3 in this session.
I was a big fan and would definitely go back to this one.

12-20-2004 16:56:14 | More by mkopera24
animal

4.9/5  rDev +40.4%

I first had this beer when I was living in Michigan, and again in Arizona. It seems to be at least partially based on the Bock style. Though few liquor stores in the United States seem to carry Xingu, it is nonetheless a worthy find, and definitely a beer that I would buy again!

04-06-2005 03:52:21 | More by animal
PizzaQueen1

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

I have to say, this beer is quite good. You might expect a strong over powered coffee or licorice and malt flavor from the look. I pour into a clear pint glass. Nice and black with just a light aroma. No foam, very lightly carbonated. First drink, clean, smooth, crisp beer flavors with a nice finish light coffee finish. feels good on the tongue and you can drink this beer all night. Very Light... Worth a Try. Not what I expected from such a black beer.

08-28-2009 20:41:28 | More by PizzaQueen1
lxCheshireCatxl

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%

This is a wonderful Black Beer from Brazil. It is pretty smooth and can keep up with more well know black beers from major brands. The head is kind of thin but the lacing is very nice. Oh and part of each purchase helps out the Xingu river in Bazil. An overall nice black beer

01-27-2011 07:18:24 | More by lxCheshireCatxl