Xingu Black Beer - Cervejaria Sul Brasileira

Xingu Black BeerXingu Black Beer

Cervejaria Sul Brasileira visit their website
Brazil

Schwarzbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-20-2001)
3.35/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle - twist-off cap - no freshness date - Poured into pint glass.

Poured black (very dark brown) with a fairly thin, but very well-retained off-white head that left plenty of lacing. It gave the appearance of espresso.
The smell was of hints of roasted coffee and a touch of chocolate.
The taste was of coffee, chocolate and a touch of molassas. None of the flavors were particularly powerful, but they were noticeable. After a few sips, some vague apple-like fruitiness was hinted at in the background. A touch of smoky charcoal surrounded the flavors. The initial sweetness became more bitter, but it was acidic sort of bitter.
As it swirled in the mouth, and as the drink progressed, it became watery and the flavors became somewhat muted. A sweetness was intermingled with an acidic bitterness that did not leave a clean feel.
Overall, it's not bad. I even grabbed a second one a while later because it was there. But, the flavors fade and it seems to be missing something. The initial flavors and sweetness give way to a drying bitterness. Anyway, it's not something I would seek out again. I've had better examples of the style.

jwc215, Jul 12, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +8.9%

I have to admit I didn't know what to think, lots of rumors, regarding The Brazilian rain forests and such; But with this being a schwarzbier, and the style being German, who would know better than the Brazilians after world war 2?!?!?; anyway;

This poured to a magnificent dark brown/black with a ruby type hue in my Duvel glass. Very pretty and elgant looking beer, like a stout with a finer whitish tan head. The smell was sweet and roasted malt coffee-ish. The first taste was nice, maltiness, roastedness, like a caramel latte.The mouthfeel was exceedingly light and thin and made you scratch your head. There were times when there could be described a cloying sweetness. I would pair it with spicy ribs or enchilada mole, perhaps desert. Altogether not too bad, worth a try for schwarzbier fans and fans of Brazil alike.

andjusticeforale, Jul 12, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -1.2%

Xingu Black Beer pours a dark brown with a tan head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. I can only smell the faintest amount of malt and thats it. Nice taste though, good amount of malt flavor. Hops don't really play much of a part in this one. Definitely worth a try.

Drew966, Jul 10, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -25.6%

Didn’t get much aroma. Poured from a bottle, color was was dark brown/black with hint of red at bottom. Slight chocolate and malt taste, and okay finish, although it tasted a little watery. Not bad, but just an average beer where nothing really jumped out at me.

kimcgolf, Jul 09, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A very drinkable, if not overly impressive, beer. Practically black in appearance with a thin, lacy head this beer has a sort-of sweetness to it that I find annoying after a couple of sips. It is light enough flavor-wise to be a very drinkable beer, but for my money, I'd rather go a different route. Whoever it was that said it was like a thinner version of a stout or porter was right on. Worth a try, but nothing to write home about.

bedwyr, Jul 08, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer pours a black body with a small white/tan head.

Clean dark malts with a slightly fruity overtone. Almost a banana type quality. Soft caramel, some toffee and coffee as well. All very small but really a classic dark lager smell.

Taste is light to medium bodied with a very intense carbonation. Really rides the border between macro lager and craft schwarzbier. Rough grain and even hints of sweet corn, but balanced against chocolate, some mild mild smoke, caramel, toffee and muted coffee. Natural root flavors, earth notes and a natural fruity taste. There's a numbing aspirin like quality that gives a lingering licorice or black molasses quality in the finish.

OVerall a decent schwarzbier. Classic flavors and rather drinkable. It's nice to know there are some good beers coming out of Brazil.

taez555, Jul 04, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +21.6%

Ever since I had a Köstritzer Schwarzbier I've been pretty keen on this style of beer, so when I happened to see a Brazilian version, I had to try it. Poured out of the bottle into a flute glass and here's what I found...

A: Almost pitch black with a finger's width of tan-colored head that left lacing all over the sides of the glass. As I started to empty my glass, the head never really disappeared, but stuck around at about half its original breadth. Beautiful looking beer.

S: Smell is never really a shwarzbier's strong suit, and this is no real exception. There's the faint scents of sweet malts, probably roasted caramel malts, and I get a slight wiff of something coffee-like. Not really any trace of hops. It's good but not strong.

T: Man is this tasty. I love schwarzbier's for that sweet malty taste. I mean, it's really really sweet. It's probably my favorite type of lager. Xingu is a fine example too. Robust caramel malty flavor, hinting of coffee. You'd be hard pressed to find much of a hop character here, but there's a bit in the aftertaste, perhaps alongside some teastiness, albeit pretty downplayed. All around it's the sweet malty flavor that makes this exceptional amongst other styles, and a good example of a schwarbier. If you're not a big fan of the sweetness, maybe you might avoid this, but I highly recommend it. Just taste's great.

M: Not quite as watery as I expected, given some schwarzbier examples I've had. And now, looking at other people's reviews, I kinda sense as though maybe I got a good batch of this, or perhaps I was just a bigger fan. It's medium bodied, minimally carbonated and really pleasant on the tongue.

D: With a 4.5% ABV, medium body, minimal carbonation and downright awesome taste, I am absolutely getting another one of these. I can't see any problem sitting around with a six pack or two and some friends and going through a bunch of these.

InDreams, Jul 02, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Very drinkable dark beer, almost a "lite" stout or porter. Very light in all areas.

Appearance: almost jet black, thin lace

S:Not much in the way of smell, very slight malts

Taste:Medium carbonation, underlying sweetness is barely detectable, comes out after slight warming, molasses/ caramel/

Extremely smooth and very high drinkablility. You have to hold back to keep yourself from chugging the whole six pack; definately worth a try.

Ozone34, Jul 02, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

This was the first dark beer I tried during my visit to southern Brazil a couple years ago. It was the only bottled option besides Antarctica available in singles at the loncheria down the street from our hotel in Curitiba. Then I discovered Bohemia Escura at the supermarket on the other side of the park, and left off Xingu until now, two years later in Buffalo, NY, where this is the only Brazilian beer available (in fact, I think that this might be the only Brazilian beer imported to the U.S. -- somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!). If memory serves (which it might not), the non-export (i.e. domestic Brazilian) bottle looks slightly different -- that is, aside from not having any English text on it -- but I can't remember exactly how. More elaborate, maybe. Anyhow -- after twisting it open, Xingu pours dark brown with bright garnet highligts and a creamy meringued khaki head. The nose is subtle, with sourish malts and a leafy-earthy hop presence, almost like an English porter. Certainly sweeter than any other Schwarzbier I've ever tasted, but I do remember this being maltier when I tried it in Brazil, almost like an alcoholic Malta Goya. There are vinous notes, prune juice and a spicy hop ballast to temper the sweet flavors. Sticky rings of lacing appear. Noticeable metallic aftertaste. Medium body, certainly far from heavy, and the mouthfeel is a bit chalky and dry, chewy in some places. Moderately drinkable. I really don't think this is a Schwarzbier, but perhaps I'm wrong and this is just a very liberal take on the style. With that in mind, it seems to be more of a singular creation; interesting, novel, and really not too bad overall. Saude!

orfeu, Jul 01, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -2%

This is a beer i've wanted to try for a while, finally got around to it. Pours jet black, brown fuzzy head not too thick. Smells malty sweet but not strong. Tastes a bit like light porter (if there is such a thing) Some mild roasty chocolate notes and a sweet lager flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit watery (not surprised from a tropical source) Overall it's not bad. I may not go seek it but would have it again. Make it a bit more flavorful and this would be a real winner.

Manosbeeroffate, Jun 29, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours opaque black with a creamy tan head with moderate lacing.

Smell is dark malts, caramel, hints of coffee. Surprisingly little hop, and a sweet edge that I can't quite identify.

Taste has coffee and burnt malt in control, along with hints of fruit. Finish is slightly sweet and more tart than the bitterness I expected.

Mouthfeel is too light and watery for my taste. A little more body would make a big difference for this beer.

Overall this is a beer that is a little different take on a Schwarzbier. However, aside from the novelty factor I wouldn't seek this one out. Drinkable but mediocre.

Blakaeris, Jun 03, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a dark-coffee color with a light head and smells malty/
hazlenutish. Not a bad taste..it wasn't the best beer to start the night, but the lack of hops made it go down rather smoothly and crisp. A sweet aftertaste was pretty noticable. Overall, it's pretty drinkable, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this Brazilian brew anytime soon.

JohnnyM2002, May 22, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = extremely dark brown, nearly jet black. Minimal head but decent retention of thin layer of milky brown film. Lacing is ok.

Smell = Dark roasted malts. A bit of whisky like sourness. Smells similar to the other Schawzbiers I've tried.

Taste = Good flavor actually and better than I anticipated. A very mild sweetness in the aftertaste which leads to a pleasant, harmonious overall tasting experience. Not much hops. Good drinkability.Malt is well flavored, robust and fresh tasting.

Overall = some people might be turned off by the sweetness but I really liked it. This is a very agreeable beer. I was very impressed and would buy it again.

LPorter33, May 19, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

12 oz brown bottle.

Black color with a dark tan head.

Aroma is sweet with roasted malt, coffee and a touch of hops aroma.

Taste is similar with a nice aftertaste and a smoothness. Tasty, not too strong or bold in the roastedness, like a smoothed-out dry stout with lager cleanness.

Mouthfeel is smooth but a bit thin.

Quite drinkable with low ABV and a light smoothness. The roasted character gives it a bit more complexity than many lighter brews but this still is one that goes down easy and has some refreshing qualities to it.

AaronHomoya, May 08, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours dark brown with ruby around the outside. Thick tan head and decent lacing. Aroma of malt and coffee. Medium-bodied and fairly bitter. Mild coffee and hops, along with some stale malt flavor. The sweetness dominates after the initial bitterness wears off. Some sour notes that I did not particularly like. The finish is creamy and sweet, with chocolate and some roasted malt. Okay, but a long way from my favorite Schwarzbiers.

Dogbrick, May 04, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A—solid onyx with a 1 inch biscuit colored head that slowly turns into a thick blob like island that floats on top for the life of the beer, full web like lacing is produced

S—the aroma is very faint, mild chocolate and coffee, malty sweetness, but the smell is hardly there at all

T—mildly sweet, coffee, chocolate, caramel, spice, maybe a little vanilla, it’s a little acidic and bitter towards the finish

M—a touch fizzy , but overall good, medium bodied, better than average carbonation

D—I’m glad I tried it and would have another. A good beer that is worth a try and returning to time and time again.

hanco005, Apr 26, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours out a nice very dark amber, with just little light getting through the sides. tan head.

Smell. i dont get much here, but i do get a sweet roasted maltiness.

Taste. Roasted and toasty malts. Quite sweet. Has a sweetness like caramel, or sugar in the raw taste to it. Aftertaste is still sweet and still retains the roastiness.

Mouthfeel. On the thin side, and i dont get much carbonation. but decent balance, and the thinness isnt bad.

Overall, i enjoy this beer, very drinkable. Not complex, but does bring a good amount of flavor. I rate it above average on the style.

acrawf6, Apr 06, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

pours mahogany with effervscence & a rocky 3 fingers+ mocha head. Some lacing & no head retention

Smell: Slight frutiness, some winey notes & then a slight leather/sourness (out of style, but nice)

Taste: Fruttyness, licorice, sweet port-like notes & finishes sweet

MF: Good balance, slightly chewy. A little undercarbonated

Pretty drinkable, interesting beer from the amazon??? I don't remember this stuff being so drinkable in the mid-90's (last time I had it)

russpowell, Apr 04, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -35.7%

black but not opaque. cream colored head. very yeasty nose, a bit of a skunky note to it. taste is very strange with a spicy, yeasty flavor mix. kind of a milk chocolate like flavor. Mostly this is dominated by yeast though and i cant say i cared for it. i wonder if this beer is filtered and if not, how it would taste if it were. not a great beer, kind of glad i only bought one.

aforbes10, Mar 20, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance: Looks great nice dark beer with a good brown head,

Smell: Smells nice fruity so not reallt like beer more like wine.

Taste: I think there are grapes or berries involved in the brewing because this taste like wine mixed with beer interesting. Sweet can't say I like it too much.

Mouthfeel: feels great nice carbanation not to thin.

Drinkability: this suffers due to it's strange flaver it is interesting but I'm not a big wine drinker so I couldn't drink it to much.

mclanem, Mar 11, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -17.9%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

A: Very black coloration, thin khaki-colored head that sticks around and leaves quite a bit of lacing. Nice presentation.

S: Sort of like a mild porter. Vaguely sweet aroma, vaguely grapes and raisins, with a mocha coffee aroma mixed in. Decent, but nothing fancy.

T: Heavily fruit flavor, strangely like cantaloupe. Very sweet, with notes of cherries and chocolate. Strangely, I don't care for this very much -- I find it cloying and unpleasant after awhile.

M: Velvety smooth and luxurious.

D: I'll never drink more than one of these. This six-pack cost me $12.99 -- I'll pass on it in the future. There are much better beers for much less money.

danielharper, Feb 28, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +11%

There's nothing about it on the bottle, but when this stuff first came out, I remember reading that it was a replication of a fermented drink common in parts of the Amazon- a drink that was made by chewing some sort of vegetation, then spitting it into a bowl to let it (and the spit) ferment. I'm just glad this one doesn't involve mastication.

Looks much like a stout in the glass- tan head (not too thick) tops a very dark liquid. Liquid held to light is very clear with ruby hints. Head falls somewhat quickly.

Smell is somewhat hard to find, but once it's there, is sweet and cola-like, with some spice right at the end

OK, now to taste. When I had it many years ago, I wasn't too fond of it. Let's try again.... Not at all like I remember it. Sort of a thin, airy cola like quality up front. Some spice dances on it just a bit- almost an ancho chili pepper quality, with those distinctive raisin notes. At the end, there'' some dark roasty-coffee like flavours, and just a touch of bitterness. Not bad.

Liquid is thinner than expected, and there's a bit too much carbonation for my taste.

It's much more drinkable than I remember early on- and actually tastes much more like beer. :) I'd have more than one...but after two, might move on to something heartier.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Feb 23, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Very black color as the name would suggest. About a half inch medium tan head that had the appearance of sea foam. The head settled, and left a very pretty coat of lacing down the entire glass. This is a very rich looking beer.

Smelled of molasses and caramel, but very mild. No noticeable hop presence, although there is a slight fruitiness to the aroma.

Tasted very good. Creamy, similar to a Newcastle Brown ale. Not overly sweet. A bit watery, probably due to the lower alcohol content.

Mouthfeel is the weakest part of this beer IMO. Kind of watery and the carbonation left my mouth tingly. Very dry finish.

Overall, I really liked this beer. It is extremely drinkable, and I could easily have several of these. The lower ABV makes it a great choice for a session beer.

doppelmeup, Feb 20, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a dark black color with burnt orange notes and a tan head that dissipates quickly. The nose is very carmelly and I also notice prunes or something similar.

The taste is sweet at first, but that drains into an big hole of nothingness. An extremely clean and empty aftertaste. Goes down very smooth. There is a few flavors trying to fight their way out of the beer and onto my tastebuds, but they're having a difficult time. Mainly just a sweet, almost sugary, taste. It could use a kick of some sort.

The mouthfeel is smooth. The drinkability is decent also. With a few slight adjustments, I think this could be an outstanding beer. As is, its probably a great crossover beer to give to your miller lite buddy.

jasonpeckins32, Feb 20, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz bottle.

Very dark, nearly black..with a red tint. Head is fairly frothy and light tan. Lightly roasted black malts with a slight chocolate kicker.. Sweetness takes the front seat, with the hops being unnoticeable. Pretty much no aftertaste, as soon as you swallow the stuff you forget what it tastes like..but it is pretty smooth & somewhat refreshing. A decent offering out of Brazil.

hero27, Feb 17, 2006