Xingu Black Beer - Cervejaria Sul Brasileira

Xingu Black BeerXingu Black Beer

Cervejaria Sul Brasileira visit their website
Brazil

Schwarzbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-20-2001)
jdhilt

New Hampshire

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours with a three-finger brown head that leaves some lace. Solid black color. Light-medium bodied and light carbonation. Slightly malty nose. Starts sweet - hints of molasses and toffee finishes mellow - not dry. $10.49 for a 6-pak of 12oz. bottles from Tulley's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

06-30-2005 23:14:02 | More by jdhilt
mentor

Colorado

4.18/5  rDev +20.5%

Obtained from To Your Health (Coralville, Iowa) in April 2005 and consumed that same evening. Pours a one-finger brown head over a pitch-black liquid, even when held to light. Head is sticky and hangs around. Smells chocolate roast, molasses, and licorice. Tastes thick sweet rich molasses, chocolate, and roast. In some beers roast carries a cherry sour, but I don’t get that here. Late, I get a dark toffee that persists well into the aftertaste. Hops? If present they are buried beneath the sweet and darker flavors. Syrupy mouthfeel (in a positive way), but probably only md-thick. Moderate carbonation that works well. The beer leaves the mouth dry, despite it being such a sweet beer. Decent lacing on the inside of the glass.

04-29-2005 01:45:46 | More by mentor
HardTarget

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

12 oz brown twisty with “Imported from Brazil” on the neck label
Aroma: Heavy spices on a sugary base. Spices hit me as close to pine, nutmeg and ginger. Smells a bit like Anchor’s X-mas beer.
Appearance: Black glass with hints of ruby edges topped with a good finger of creamed coffee head. Head is a thick collection of microscopic bubbles with a few dots of small bubbles holding place for what seems like days. Looks impressive and left a very respectable thick layer of foam behind.
Flavor: A lot of stout characteristics; roasted barley, hint of coffee and chocolate, touch of black patent and nuts. None of the spices in the nose came through. Balance is sweet but nicely so with a hint of some adjuncts.
Mouthfeel: Fairly light but creamy texture. Odd that it finishes dry but leaves a slightly puckering good mouth coat.
Overall Impression: Ok, I’m impressed. Very drinkable but the sweetness slowed me down a bit. Style seems all over the place. A bit of Stout, a bit of Dunkle, a bit of Bock, a bit of Schwarzbier, eh, let’s call it a Euro Dark Lager.

04-27-2005 04:38:31 | More by HardTarget
whynot44

Missouri

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

Medium bodied, very dark brown with ruby highlights - almost black - with a creamy tan head that dies down quickly but maintains a light skim on top.

Aroma is very mild and all sweet malt with a hint of molasses.

Taste is also all malt. It starts slightly sweet with a caramel/molasses flavor then some coffee tones come in with a touch of bitterness, leaving a fairly pleasant grassy aftertaste.

Something a little different. Drinkable and goes well with spicy food.

04-23-2005 06:34:05 | More by whynot44
Billolick

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

Standard 12 ouncer sampled, no freshness dating. Pours coal black, with a dark tan head. Medium sheeting/lacing left on the glass. Nose is of tart apples and burnt malt. taste is sludgy burnt malts, raisins, black coffee. Somewhat sweet, not all that pleasing. Thin finish. Doubt I would try this one again

04-19-2005 18:31:55 | More by Billolick
animal

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

I first had this beer when I was living in Michigan, and again in Arizona. It seems to be at least partially based on the Bock style. Though few liquor stores in the United States seem to carry Xingu, it is nonetheless a worthy find, and definitely a beer that I would buy again!

04-06-2005 03:52:21 | More by animal
santoslhalper

2.65/5  rDev -23.6%

This is a shwarzbier in my opinion. And as far as Shwarzbier's go, this one's not very good. Nothing about it stood out other than the fact that it quenched thirst. The flavor was just of crappy malts an no hops. This was one the bartender and Tulune's recommended, and I'm dissapointed.

04-04-2005 17:02:50 | More by santoslhalper
DrunkMcDermott

3.33/5  rDev -4%

Sampled at the Southside Beer Expo. Much more than a schwarzbier. Not hoppy or roasty from the malts, but rather "quiet," with a succinct fruity character. My sample had lower carbonation than other beers, which enhanced its mild flavor profile.

04-01-2005 20:00:27 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

OK black appearance with a bit of head. And lace. Some licorice initial scent, that carried into first taste then dissipitated. A big bottle, thanks Joey for coming to help me finish. Bit aggressive carbonation.Simpicity lead to boredom after a few sips.added a new country. A shwartbier

03-31-2005 03:21:25 | More by Sammy
Higravity

2.83/5  rDev -18.4%

Well this must be an apple lager, because that is what it smells and tastes like. There is a big malty beer here somewhere but apples rules this beer. It is black and has a off white head and is a little thin, but for the most part it is damn tasty. If it was fresher I am sure it would be better. If I ever go to Brazil I know I will drink a lot of it.

03-31-2005 02:52:21 | More by Higravity
Gagnonsux

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

Xingu Black Beer is indeed black. The light brown head is of moderate height and mildly sticky. Aroma is of light dark malts with a touch of grain smell thrown in. The taste is of chocolate malt flavor with a touch of coffee in the finish. Malts dominate here. This is easily the richest euro dark lager that I've had and in some ways I think it might be closer to a Munich dunkle. I would have this in my fridge more often if it weren't $10+ a sixer.

03-31-2005 02:35:27 | More by Gagnonsux
crookedhalo

2.95/5  rDev -15%

12 oz. bottle with twist-off cap. Pours a dark cola brown with a bubbly beige khaki colored head that dies within a matter of 10 seconds. Some dark bready, lighly toffeeish Munich malt presence with a light, clean aroma. Vegetal hints of caraway seeds, celery stalk and watermelon rind. No discernable hop aroma. Mostly sweet, I expected a bit of hoppy dryness to cut through, but I was a bit disappointed; only carbonation alleviates the sweetness. It just stays watery and sweet all the way through to the finish. Light palmnut and chocolate notes. Pretty low in ABV, so the sweetness isn't too overwhelming. Average at best. I've certainly had better dunkels, but I guess this one has a rich heritage.

02-19-2005 08:34:58 | More by crookedhalo
plaztikjezuz

3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

German brwing in Brazil, not suprised, but Molson owns this brewery now.
Pours very dark but is you hold it up to the light you get some amber poking throgh. The head is very light and left some very light lace on the side of my glass. The aroma is mainly malt, has a slight graininess, like spend grain. the flavor is malty, some munich, little sweetness, some chocolate, with some bitterness.. The mouth feel is light, but i sure it fits the weather in brazil. it kinda reminds me of a swartzbier. easy drinking. little over priced, but a good beer.

02-05-2005 06:54:16 | More by plaztikjezuz
merlin48

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a very dark brown, clear, body with a small tan head that quickly falls into some collar lace. A few small patches of lace are left on the glass.
Aroma has a lot of dark roasty malts, some Munich here, and a hint of coffee and chocolate.
Mouthfeel is light medium bodied with good carbonation.
Taste is similar to "black Bavarian" styles, with chocolate notes, floral hop bitterness, and a hint of dried figs.
Not at all what I was expecting, but a solid "black lager", that is well done. A smooth sipper with no discernable faults. If you like black lagers, you'll like this one.

01-21-2005 23:07:21 | More by merlin48
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

This was a clear, deep brown brew with almost no head. Looked a little flat.

The aroma was malty and slightly sweet, with hints of berries and cherries.

The taste was of subtle dark malts with hints of roastiness. It was also a little grainy... definitely had some adjucts in there.

01-09-2005 17:11:43 | More by connecticutpoet
Karyyk

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

I was a bit disappointed with this one, not so much due to the fact that it was a bad beer, but because of the fact that I was truly expecting something new and different. To put it in the short, Xingu Black Beer (lager) seems to be, at least to me, an alcoholic version of Malta, a sweet, brew-like soft drink made by the likes of Siboney and Goya (a beverage that I'm told by my family has more or less existed in Cuba for years; I'll have to see if I can find some alcoholic malta on my next trip to Miami).

My initial disappointment aside, what you get from Xingu is actually quite delightful. A dark, porter-like color gives way to delightfully sweet and refreshing lager, that pours with a medium head that disappates to an almost frothy consistency. Taste is decidedly mild considering its stout appearance, sweet overall, with bitterness coming at the back-end. Mouthfeel is almost creamy, with the overall level of carbonation being fairly light.

Overall, I like it, but it's a bit pricy for what it is (I paid $8.99 for a six), and it's not really the kind of beer that you'll want to sit back and drink 12 of a night, even if it was less expensive. It's definitely a good surprise to spring on your beer-drinking friends (might keep a few on hand, right aside the Tusker). They'll like it (even if they won't buy it).

12-30-2004 13:39:48 | More by Karyyk
mkopera24

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

The appearance was an almost black, coffee, porter dark. Nice head of foam. I was very impressed, b/c I really like dark beers.

The smell definitely had coffee, chocolatey hints to it. I could tell it was going to be a bit hoppy. Which I like.

The taste did almost fool me. I thought it was going to be a porter, but it was a very hoppy (sweet at the front of the mouth, but a little more bitter towards the back of the tongue.)

Very smooth as far as mouthfeel is concerned. A bit of a creamy feel at first.
But it's drinkability was pretty good. I had about 3 in this session.
I was a big fan and would definitely go back to this one.

12-20-2004 16:56:14 | More by mkopera24
Zorro

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Pours a clear brown, nearly black brew.

Smell is clean and mildly malty with a slight chocolate scent.

Taste is mildly sweet with a mild floral hop flavor almost wine like. There is a grassy flavor to this too. Mild bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouth feel is OK.

Drinkability is good, looks like a porter and tastes like an extra malted Euro lager.

12-19-2004 03:46:23 | More by Zorro
Bighuge

4.22/5  rDev +21.6%

Dark Ruby. Not much light gets through. Thin, tight dusting of brown head. Lace is moderate. Fresh aroma of blackened malts, caramel, roasted barley and coffee. The taste is really pretty nice. Bitter coffee bean and chocolate and sweet caramel and vanilla... Yeah, definitely nice. The mouthfeel is a little weak. Light bodied and slightly watery. Could use a little more carbonation too. If the mouthfeel were better, this would really be a top notch brew. As it is, I'd drink this any day of the week. Great taste.

12-09-2004 03:12:14 | More by Bighuge
alexgash

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark chocolate brown with a thick, brown cobweb of a head. Smells of vinous fruit, wet cardboard, and lightly roasted sugar. Sweetish, yet spicy fruit (melon?) flavors up front. Stays sweet, with light tobacco, and cardboard mixed in. Light roasted bitterness leads into the semi-dry, mostly-sweet finish. Not bad. Medium-bodied, decent feel. I would definitely drink this again...if I ever make it to Brazil.

12-02-2004 04:33:39 | More by alexgash
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a dark dark brown black sprouting a fluffy sculptured light cream tan color head with microscopic tightly knit bubbles.

This beer produces a curious industrial like nose about it—it’s not particularly robust, but to me the low level background radiation is like some synthetic yet curiously copasetic waft stealthily sneaking in upon my nostrils..

The flavor is predominantly malt. It’s a rather misleading flavor profile in that the beer somehow, as it cascaded into my glass seemed to convince me that a full bodied up front stance would emerge upon my palate. Yet I know full well that dark does not mean robust... but anyway... To my surprise it is a rather curious meek sweet flavor that dissipates quickly leaving behind dying embers of effervescence. There are hints of hops here and there—it’s almost the exact opposite of what I keep wanting to say— “it’s a stout. it’s a stout”—“but dark does not mean strong”—remember...?

Xingu’s mouthfeel is quite cordial, or maybe even perhaps “cozy”. Once again, almost a characterless low level, but a curious malty sweetness predominates a mild effervenscence—maybe that accounts for the “cozy” in my description. The beer doesn’t seem particularly alcohol laden.

Despite this beer’s rather offbeat flavor and demeanor, I think it’s quite drinkable—and it’s certainly something off the beaten path.

Worth a try—love it or hate it, I think you won’t regret the experience.

12-02-2004 00:48:40 | More by gueuzeonhigh
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a dark brownish black, large tan head. light lacing.
Aroma is light caramelized sugar and malt.
Flavor is sweet, coffee with too much sugar kind of flavor.
Creamy mouthfeel with a short and sweet finish.
ok beer. I might buy this again if it were $6 a six pack, but at $8 a sixer I don’t think so.

10-24-2004 04:38:03 | More by Padron4KM
Citadel82

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a dark mahogany with a short-lived tan head. No lacing to speak of. Very little effervesence once the head is gone. Taste is largely malty with hints of fig, apple with a slight toated malt finish. No real bitterness to speak of. Very unusual beer yet somehow quite drinkable.

10-02-2004 02:22:41 | More by Citadel82
BarrelBrother

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

Xingu is an unusual beer, plain and simple. Complex flavours with spice overtones make this an unusual taste treat indeed. My wife and I enjoyed Xingu over our past motorcycle trip when we stopped for the evening at our lodging. Full flavoured with a hint of carmel this beer is an interesting choice for the judges.

09-11-2004 05:15:30 | More by BarrelBrother
blitheringidiot

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%

Pronounced "Shin-goo" as per the website, this black mystery in a rather plain, browner 12 oz. bottle with triple label label that only states "Important from Brazil" was a curious brew. Well, boys, if it's from Brazil, let's investigate:

Huge fothy foam tan khaki pillowy headed pour that fills me DFH pint with clear mahogany ruby black hue letting scant slivers of light through the brew. Excellent brown head retention leaves a lattice lace.

Lager grain and leafy scents with hints of stout roasted notes.

Twisted mixed berry flavors and slightly roasted malts. Sweet brown sugary flavors pervade the tongue. Almost like cherry soda that is half fizzed. Some baker's chocolate and fresh ginger slices like what compliments sushi, come to mind. Also, some fresh Buckinham white grape wine notes exist.

Medium bodied with modest mouthfeel sizzle.

Somewhat flat for a lager.

Last swigs: Prune juice and concord grapes meets lager. Like a grape soda when warmed. A bartender once told me in a Brazilian restarant in Philly that this is made with an aphrodisiac. This was a beer that I was looking forward to try for a long time ever since that restaurant many years ago.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

09-11-2004 03:42:48 | More by blitheringidiot