Xingu Black Beer - Cervejaria Sul Brasileira

Xingu Black BeerXingu Black Beer

Cervejaria Sul Brasileira visit their website
Brazil

Schwarzbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-20-2001)
Dogbrick

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours dark brown with ruby around the outside. Thick tan head and decent lacing. Aroma of malt and coffee. Medium-bodied and fairly bitter. Mild coffee and hops, along with some stale malt flavor. The sweetness dominates after the initial bitterness wears off. Some sour notes that I did not particularly like. The finish is creamy and sweet, with chocolate and some roasted malt. Okay, but a long way from my favorite Schwarzbiers.

05-04-2006 20:26:46 | More by Dogbrick
hanco005

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A—solid onyx with a 1 inch biscuit colored head that slowly turns into a thick blob like island that floats on top for the life of the beer, full web like lacing is produced

S—the aroma is very faint, mild chocolate and coffee, malty sweetness, but the smell is hardly there at all

T—mildly sweet, coffee, chocolate, caramel, spice, maybe a little vanilla, it’s a little acidic and bitter towards the finish

M—a touch fizzy , but overall good, medium bodied, better than average carbonation

D—I’m glad I tried it and would have another. A good beer that is worth a try and returning to time and time again.

04-26-2006 02:58:06 | More by hanco005
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours out a nice very dark amber, with just little light getting through the sides. tan head.

Smell. i dont get much here, but i do get a sweet roasted maltiness.

Taste. Roasted and toasty malts. Quite sweet. Has a sweetness like caramel, or sugar in the raw taste to it. Aftertaste is still sweet and still retains the roastiness.

Mouthfeel. On the thin side, and i dont get much carbonation. but decent balance, and the thinness isnt bad.

Overall, i enjoy this beer, very drinkable. Not complex, but does bring a good amount of flavor. I rate it above average on the style.

04-06-2006 01:16:17 | More by acrawf6
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

pours mahogany with effervscence & a rocky 3 fingers+ mocha head. Some lacing & no head retention

Smell: Slight frutiness, some winey notes & then a slight leather/sourness (out of style, but nice)

Taste: Fruttyness, licorice, sweet port-like notes & finishes sweet

MF: Good balance, slightly chewy. A little undercarbonated

Pretty drinkable, interesting beer from the amazon??? I don't remember this stuff being so drinkable in the mid-90's (last time I had it)

04-04-2006 04:16:09 | More by russpowell
aforbes10

Iowa

2.23/5  rDev -35.7%

black but not opaque. cream colored head. very yeasty nose, a bit of a skunky note to it. taste is very strange with a spicy, yeasty flavor mix. kind of a milk chocolate like flavor. Mostly this is dominated by yeast though and i cant say i cared for it. i wonder if this beer is filtered and if not, how it would taste if it were. not a great beer, kind of glad i only bought one.

03-20-2006 15:21:52 | More by aforbes10
mclanem

2.73/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance: Looks great nice dark beer with a good brown head,

Smell: Smells nice fruity so not reallt like beer more like wine.

Taste: I think there are grapes or berries involved in the brewing because this taste like wine mixed with beer interesting. Sweet can't say I like it too much.

Mouthfeel: feels great nice carbanation not to thin.

Drinkability: this suffers due to it's strange flaver it is interesting but I'm not a big wine drinker so I couldn't drink it to much.

03-11-2006 02:54:22 | More by mclanem
danielharper

2.85/5  rDev -17.9%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

A: Very black coloration, thin khaki-colored head that sticks around and leaves quite a bit of lacing. Nice presentation.

S: Sort of like a mild porter. Vaguely sweet aroma, vaguely grapes and raisins, with a mocha coffee aroma mixed in. Decent, but nothing fancy.

T: Heavily fruit flavor, strangely like cantaloupe. Very sweet, with notes of cherries and chocolate. Strangely, I don't care for this very much -- I find it cloying and unpleasant after awhile.

M: Velvety smooth and luxurious.

D: I'll never drink more than one of these. This six-pack cost me $12.99 -- I'll pass on it in the future. There are much better beers for much less money.

02-28-2006 03:49:21 | More by danielharper
UncleFlip

Alabama

3.85/5  rDev +11%

There's nothing about it on the bottle, but when this stuff first came out, I remember reading that it was a replication of a fermented drink common in parts of the Amazon- a drink that was made by chewing some sort of vegetation, then spitting it into a bowl to let it (and the spit) ferment. I'm just glad this one doesn't involve mastication.

Looks much like a stout in the glass- tan head (not too thick) tops a very dark liquid. Liquid held to light is very clear with ruby hints. Head falls somewhat quickly.

Smell is somewhat hard to find, but once it's there, is sweet and cola-like, with some spice right at the end

OK, now to taste. When I had it many years ago, I wasn't too fond of it. Let's try again.... Not at all like I remember it. Sort of a thin, airy cola like quality up front. Some spice dances on it just a bit- almost an ancho chili pepper quality, with those distinctive raisin notes. At the end, there'' some dark roasty-coffee like flavours, and just a touch of bitterness. Not bad.

Liquid is thinner than expected, and there's a bit too much carbonation for my taste.

It's much more drinkable than I remember early on- and actually tastes much more like beer. :) I'd have more than one...but after two, might move on to something heartier.

Be well
-UF

02-23-2006 07:00:09 | More by UncleFlip
doppelmeup

3.98/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Very black color as the name would suggest. About a half inch medium tan head that had the appearance of sea foam. The head settled, and left a very pretty coat of lacing down the entire glass. This is a very rich looking beer.

Smelled of molasses and caramel, but very mild. No noticeable hop presence, although there is a slight fruitiness to the aroma.

Tasted very good. Creamy, similar to a Newcastle Brown ale. Not overly sweet. A bit watery, probably due to the lower alcohol content.

Mouthfeel is the weakest part of this beer IMO. Kind of watery and the carbonation left my mouth tingly. Very dry finish.

Overall, I really liked this beer. It is extremely drinkable, and I could easily have several of these. The lower ABV makes it a great choice for a session beer.

02-20-2006 22:28:23 | More by doppelmeup
jasonpeckins32

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a dark black color with burnt orange notes and a tan head that dissipates quickly. The nose is very carmelly and I also notice prunes or something similar.

The taste is sweet at first, but that drains into an big hole of nothingness. An extremely clean and empty aftertaste. Goes down very smooth. There is a few flavors trying to fight their way out of the beer and onto my tastebuds, but they're having a difficult time. Mainly just a sweet, almost sugary, taste. It could use a kick of some sort.

The mouthfeel is smooth. The drinkability is decent also. With a few slight adjustments, I think this could be an outstanding beer. As is, its probably a great crossover beer to give to your miller lite buddy.

02-20-2006 03:40:59 | More by jasonpeckins32
hero27

3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz bottle.

Very dark, nearly black..with a red tint. Head is fairly frothy and light tan. Lightly roasted black malts with a slight chocolate kicker.. Sweetness takes the front seat, with the hops being unnoticeable. Pretty much no aftertaste, as soon as you swallow the stuff you forget what it tastes like..but it is pretty smooth & somewhat refreshing. A decent offering out of Brazil.

02-17-2006 00:08:23 | More by hero27
bditty187

Nebraska

3.33/5  rDev -4%

Dark ruby in hue, it is not black; when I held the beer to a light I could see through it. Brunette head, the foam was two finger’s tall. Head retention was fair, the bubbles slid away to a soapy cap and then almost nothing. However, there were oodles of subsequent lacing; very well organized too. No matter how I slice it, this is an attractive beer but I’m a sucker for Latin ladies... this is a lady, right? Cause I’ve heard some stories about Brazilian hookers….

The nose is clean; maybe I should just call it empty. I get hints of chocolate, roast, toffee, but not much else. If the potency was louder the nose would be plenty agreeable. As is, it feels like a shadow of what it could be. I want more. It’s like a massage without a happy ending. I mean, a massage is nice but… I’ll call the scrawny aroma inviting but woefully underdone.

Well, the palate is as clean, err empty as the nose led on. At least this beer didn’t lie. I get hints of chocolate, roast, toffee, and, again, not much else. Sweet but restrained. I feared something cloying and unpleasant. Maybe this is a gross overgeneralization but it seems most South Americans enjoy a sweet beer. I was hoping this beer would be a true “Black Lager” but, alas, it is not. Tasty, yes… great, no; it is a bit unrefined actually. I didn’t find it all that smooth at the finish. The aftertaste is sweet and lingering. Yawn.

Medium in body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is fitting well enough but it’s still unspectacular.

I didn’t find anything bad about this beer, yet I don’t really care for it. It happens. Boring with flavor… but clumsy too often; sure this beer is drinkable but so what. I believe this beer was purchased in IA; it was given to me a few weeks back. Thanks Bill for the bottle, you saved my buying a six-pack of this costly beer. I’ve seen in NE recently. If you see a bottle on the cheap, try it.

02-03-2006 14:07:17 | More by bditty187
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. Lots of lacing. Smells of sweet malt, grassy and nutty.

Sweet maltiness and spicy. Lightly (coffee-like) bitterness, quite carbonated. Light fruitiness. Lightly sticky and long light bitter aftertaste. Interesting beer and beter than expected.

01-14-2006 05:16:11 | More by ViveLaChouffe
rebel1771

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours a dark brownish black, looks great I can't wait to try it. The aroma is strange, a surpising stale odor of a macro euro lager, not very pleasant. The flavor isn't much better than the odor. This brew tastes like somebody watered down one ounce of a decent dark lager with eleven ouces of a macro lager. There's something very artificial about this beer and I don't like it. I will be steering clear of this one in the future.

01-08-2006 02:54:12 | More by rebel1771
beersarang

3.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Pretty run of the mill, but worth a try.

Pours a brownish black with a tan head that doesn't hold for long at all.

Chocolate sweet grain aroma.

Slight grainy malt presence throughout carries a mild chocolate toastiness across the palate. Little to no hopping and the caramel becomes a tad cloying. finishes sweet.

Light bodied, light on flavor, carbonation is moderate.

A decent beer, I wouldn't buy it again, due to it's sweetness. I prefer negra modelo which I feel is better balanced.

01-04-2006 07:57:42 | More by beersarang
Pegasus

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: Deep black in color, although light passing through shows it to be a clear ruby red. There are a number of small streams of slow-rising carbonation. The head is thick and tan-colored; the lacing is profuse and sticky, ringing the glass walls.

Aroma: Rich toasted dark malt aroma, with a strong characteristic of nuts, and faint hints of earth.

Taste: Rich, toasty malt flavors dominate the opening of the taste, followed by sweet caramel notes. The finish is dry, with subdued malt flavors. The hop flavors are quite restrained.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full, with a bit of stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An enigmatic beer, quite unlike any other example of the style which I have tried. Quite wonderful, would make an excellent session beer.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve once brown glass longneck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

12-11-2005 17:59:41 | More by Pegasus
BitterBrian

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

I had this stuff back in '96? from bombers, now available in normal 12ozers. On the label it says it is "black beer". It's a twist-off? yup. I read somewhere (on the case maybe) that it's pronounced, "shin-goo". I'll stick with "zing-goo" to avoid sounding pretentious.

Anyway, I have had this quite a few times and I think it is somewhat under-rated. I included it in my last beer club and received many positive reviews of it.

pours a black-as-night black with a thin caramel colored head. the head fades very quickly. smells and tastes of chocolate and coffee, but not as hearty as you would expect. It is pretty thin. Not a porter, not a stout. I would say it leans to the stout side, but thin and carbonated. It is sort of along the same lines the Weyerbacher Black Hole. The consistency is very cola-ish.

The difference is that this is a very easy drinker. I could have forgotten how many I drank if I didn't run out of them so fast! Overall, it is now rated "worth a try". I would change that to "give it a chance!"

11-28-2005 02:06:30 | More by BitterBrian
nlmartin

Served from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: This beer pours a dead black. The head was short lasting creamy tan coloration. No lacing in evidence on the glass.

Smell: Small amounts of chocolate and coffeesque smells drift up to my nose. The beer smells far more boozy than it actually is.

Taste: I could not taste much intially; however, as the beer warmed up more. I could taste definately sweetened coffee. This beer has a particularly bitter after taste.

Mouthfeel: The beer is watery thin.

Drinkability: Over all an average beer drinking experience.

11-15-2005 13:52:07 | More by nlmartin
RBorsato

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

Black with ruby highlights, a decent brown head, good carbonation, and decent lace. Sweet treacle aroma and flavor; a bit sweet from the strong treacle character. Light-medium bodied and a bit airy due to carbonation.

Much better as it warms.

Per Label: Cervejarias Kaiser Brasil, Ponte Grossa, Brasil.

Per BOM notes: 4.7% ABV

11-14-2005 19:36:34 | More by RBorsato
joedon

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%

Opaque black with a rocky tan head. Sticky lace. Aroma of chocolate, malt, caramel. Complex flavor with dense malts, caramel, port wine. Slightly sweet but well balanced. Chewy texture, mildly hopped.

Not a big fan of this beer but I'm glad I tried it. Should go well with desserts or other sweet foods.

11-08-2005 01:49:37 | More by joedon
tgbljb

4.2/5  rDev +21%

Poured a deep brown color with reddish hues. Modest tannish head with qattractive lacing. Smell is dark fruity (plums, prunes, raisain, figs, dates) combined with roasted malt in an excellent manner. One of the most enticing scents I've experienced in a beer. Taste is good, but doesn't quite live up to the smell. Nice sweet toasty maltiness. Taste does seem to improve as the beer warms and more of the fruitiness begins to blossom. Nice and creamy. Leaves a very nice taste and feel in the mouth. This was truly a tasty beer that was exceptionally enjoyable. Very easy to drink.

11-08-2005 01:37:11 | More by tgbljb
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.9/5  rDev -16.4%

Barely opaque mahogany that becomes barely translucent dark crimson when backlit with brilliant, direct sunlight. The head is golden light brown, like one would see on a cola, and is intensely foamy and frothy. Thick, bubbly lace sticks like glue.

The aroma is odd. Even though Xingu Black Beer is a Euro dark lager, I didn't expect it to smell like a slightly darker version of a Euro pale lager, but it does. For some reason, I expected the aroma to be a lighter, milder version of a good porter or stout. Wrong. It's stale, musty and vegetal, with other off-aromas that I can't quite place.

Unfortunately, the off-aromas translate into off-flavors. Even so, the beer is marginally less offensive on the palate, probably because of the presence of other, more acceptable flavors. There's plenty of sweet roastedness, but as with some poor quality beer, it tastes more like artificial flavorings were added than it does like roasted barley.

I don't taste chocolate, coffee or any other flavors brought out in the normal course of 'dark' beer brewing. Although the website doesn't mention it, it tastes like kola nuts have been used. They're grown in Brazil, aren't they? In fact, now that I think about it, the beer tastes like a severly undercarbonated knock-off brand of cola. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Thanks to a lack of bubbles, it's also unenergetic and uninteresting.

Xingu Black Beer isn't good. It tastes too much like a saccharine sweet, dark beer extract added, dark lager pretender. Part of the problem might be the partial lack of carbonation. I opened another bottle last week (from a different source, obtained months apart) that was totally flat and undrinkable. Even properly bubbled, though, I doubt that I'd be impressed.

11-04-2005 14:04:11 | More by BuckeyeNation
beerphilosopher

2.8/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle ...

A - Almost black, with slight reddish hues when caught in the light. Mocha tan head with sporatic lacing.

S - Not as aromatic as I would have thought. Slight sweet mollases smell, but no other well defined elements. Smells a little "homebrewy."

T - Hmmm ... this is an interesting beer. Definitely on the malty side with some lingering sweetness. No defined hop character to be found.

M - Highly carbonated "tingle" in the mouth, but a quite thin mouthfeel. Looks much richer and thicker than it is, being a lager beer. Lingering sweet, "tacky" taste on the tongue.

D - This beer doesn't really live up to the hype that comes with the cool label, exotic name, and the fact that you're holding a "black beer" from Brazil. Sounds very sexy, but it's not all that great. This is a decent "watered-down" stout type of beer, almost like a weaker milk stout in some ways. Not a bad beer by any means, just nothing exceptional or particularly memorable.

11-01-2005 23:01:06 | More by beerphilosopher
daliandragon

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%

This is an attractive beer, in and out of the bottle. I like the stenciled little croc and Amazon warrior on the label and I really like the near jet color with the lasting foam and lace. The smell is interesting, with malt and molasses the most prominent. There is also a bit of a smoked scent that clashes somewhat with the obvious sweetness.
The taste is dry but very understated considering the heavy sugar tones on the nose. It's finish and much of its flavor is reminiscent of a quality stout but maybe a little less so. Almost a stout lite. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, just like it looks.
I don't love this beer but for not being from a beer hotbed in South America I have to admit this is a pleasant surprise. Not an easy drinking beer but certainly not a struggle either. If you enjoy stouts and porters this is probably right up your alley. Worth a shot.

10-28-2005 22:47:42 | More by daliandragon
brentk56

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance: Pours a cocoa black blody with a tan head that persists and leaves a fiar amount of lacing

Smell: Smells a bit like wet hay; not particularly agreeable

Taste: Starts out sweet, with some coffee, caramel and molasses flavors that persist into the finish; the hops never kick in

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation

Drinkability: Way to sweet to be consumed in any volume; a bottle is tough enough to finish

10-22-2005 22:02:48 | More by brentk56