Xingu Black Beer - Cervejaria Sul Brasileira

Xingu Black BeerXingu Black Beer

Cervejaria Sul Brasileira visit their website
Brazil

Schwarzbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-20-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
richkrull

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer last night at Samba Brazilian Steakhouse in Madison.

I've never had a black beer before and wasn't sure what to expect. When I poured it into my glass, I was a little nervous that it was such a dark black color since I don't normally drink heavy beers.

It was surprisingly smooth and easy drinking beer though. Great malt flavor throughout. I really enjoyed it. I could have had several more of these if I wasn't out to sample different beers.

I'll definitely be trying this beer again and will look for other black beers in the future.

01-27-2011 17:43:44 | More by richkrull
blackjack000

Kansas

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A dark Coca-Cola mixed with root beer appearance with ruby shining through in the light. Continuing carbonation bubbles moving through the beer enhances the soda fountain look. A creamy, caramel-colored head.

Smell: Of deep molasses, ground coffee beans, and a drifting crumbled dark chocolate bar in the background.

Taste: A hoppy and tingly taste that was surprisingly pleasant, almost zesty, attacks my tongue. This flavor is followed immediately by a dark chocolate, brown sugar, and light coffee taste to balance the flavor well. I can't emphasize how zesty this beer is. I feel like I'm enjoying beer-flavored pop rocks.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation enhances the flavor greatly, stimulating the taste buds. The beer feels like a good, medium weight, and tingles all the way down. My mouth was watering (literally) for the next sip as soon as I swallowed.

Drinkability: A delicious beer; every sip makes me crave the next sip more than the last. The beer sits light in the belly and is almost refreshing. Twelve ounces disappears incredibly quick, and was gone before I realized it. Afterwards, I feel like I had just finished a light dessert or appetizer, and crave more.

03-27-2008 01:55:58 | More by blackjack000
rbbchbum

District of Columbia

4.38/5  rDev +25.9%

I told the beer guy at my bottle shop that I was looking for a good brew with little to no hops. He suggested this, and I'm glad he did. I'll be back for more.

A- Dark black/brown with small tan head. Head fades quickly. It leaves a bit lacing on the glass.

S- Malty and sweet with notes of caramel.

T- Sweet but not overly so. This beer is pure malt. No trace of hops at all. Carbonation is mild and there was very little aftertaste.

M- Given its low ABV, I was surprised how much body and flavor this had.

D- At 4.6% ABV, I think I've found my autumn session beer. Very drinkable!

10-09-2009 14:30:47 | More by rbbchbum
drseamus

4.38/5  rDev +25.9%

I'll start with the disclaimer...I really like this beer and buy it every month or so. True to it's style, this beer pours jet black with only a small amout of light getting through lighting the corners of the pint glass a deep brown. It has a finger sized mocha colored head that hangs around for a bit and then falls unevenly leaving a patchy head on the surface of the beer. There is a sweet malty aroma with a tinge of bitter hop aroma. Initially, i taste a bit of roasted flavor that rolls into a sweet malty full bodied sensation that fills my mouth.

12-24-2006 22:03:42 | More by drseamus
ttrimaldi

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +25.9%

The dark color is a little imposing. I expected a bitter flavor, but was surprised by a very unique and smooth flavor. The mouthfeel reminded me of a more bourgeoisie beer. As the flavor developed across my tongue, I was truly amazed.

We encountered it at Everybody's Pizza across from Emory University in Atlanta, GA.

Definitely worth trying.

09-11-2010 13:05:19 | More by ttrimaldi
lxCheshireCatxl

4.35/5  rDev +25%

This is a wonderful Black Beer from Brazil. It is pretty smooth and can keep up with more well know black beers from major brands. The head is kind of thin but the lacing is very nice. Oh and part of each purchase helps out the Xingu river in Bazil. An overall nice black beer

01-27-2011 07:18:24 | More by lxCheshireCatxl
AlFergie

4.35/5  rDev +25%

I had the surprising pleasure of experiencing this beer while dining in a Brazilian steak house in Las Vegas recently. This is called a black lager, but looks and taste like a very dark porter or a light stout. It was delicious. With ABV of 4.70%, it is very drinkable, as I had three bottles with dinner and felt very little effect. Color black; carbonation perfect; before, during, and after taste very good. This is a beer that I am going to search for in my neighborhood. A must try.

06-28-2011 19:20:03 | More by AlFergie
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

pours mahogany with effervscence & a rocky 3 fingers+ mocha head. Some lacing & no head retention

Smell: Slight frutiness, some winey notes & then a slight leather/sourness (out of style, but nice)

Taste: Fruttyness, licorice, sweet port-like notes & finishes sweet

MF: Good balance, slightly chewy. A little undercarbonated

Pretty drinkable, interesting beer from the amazon??? I don't remember this stuff being so drinkable in the mid-90's (last time I had it)

04-04-2006 04:16:09 | More by russpowell
MikeInIowa

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Look: inviting, deep darkness.Not entirely black but close. Opaque and not allowing much light in.

Nose: nice aroma. Carmelized malts and hops.

Taste: Carmel malts and light coffee notes without going bitter

Mouthfeel: pleasing mouthfeel that is creamy without feeling too heavy or grainy.

Drink: Enyirely drinkable; on the order of a Kostringer black lager but with southern hemisphere influences instead of the eastern European traditional notes.

09-23-2010 05:16:59 | More by MikeInIowa
BarrelBrother

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Xingu is an unusual beer, plain and simple. Complex flavours with spice overtones make this an unusual taste treat indeed. My wife and I enjoyed Xingu over our past motorcycle trip when we stopped for the evening at our lodging. Full flavoured with a hint of carmel this beer is an interesting choice for the judges.

09-11-2004 05:15:30 | More by BarrelBrother
HuppMJH

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Look - Pours a very dark brown/red; basically black. Thin tan head that seems quite delicate.

Smell - I catch a fruity aroma with a hint of nuttiness. Possibly even a bit of chocolate.

Taste - Fruity, like passion fruit or lychee with a bit of whisky or rum. Nutty finish.

Very smooth and subtle. From the look of the beer I was expecting a fuller taste, although I am still surprised by the beer's complexity. This would be a great beer to take out around the camp fire or fishing.

Good beer, but as I said before, it would be nice if it had more of a porter or stout strength to the taste.

11-04-2010 21:48:26 | More by HuppMJH
wattoclone

09-12-2012 12:58:34 | More by wattoclone
brewmaster411

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

This is a schwartz (dark) beer. Simply put it is a lager with dark malts to give it a nice color and flavor profile. This is the beer to prove the people that dark does not necessarily mean bitter or heavy.

Appearance is almost jet black, it looks like a porter or stout, without the thick creamy head. Smell is slight coffee/roast aroma, no diacetyl or esters, somewhat malty. Taste has an underlying sweetness, very smooth and quaffable. Extremely smooth and very high drinkablility.

12-16-2006 05:08:59 | More by brewmaster411