Black Rabbit - Minhas Craft Brewery

pDev: 0%
Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 11-17-2013)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1.18L, or 40 pounder, I suppose, black as night bottle. This is the first malt liquor made under the auspices of the new 'micro' brewery in Calgary. What is it with this company's marketing department and rabbits?

This beer pours an incredibly surprising solid black hue, with prominent basal cola highlights, and one finger of fizzy beige head, which wisps away in just more than the time it takes for me to reset my paradigms, and leaves a few instances of streaky cloud lace around the glass in the process.

It smells of sweet, sugary roasted pale malt, grape soda, apple cider, corn syrup, a bit of wet ash, earthy, musty hops, and a hard to conceal plastic alcohol essence (it must be in the woodwork or something). The taste is more lightly toasted grainy malt, subsumed by an artificial grape juice fruitiness, corny breakfast cereal, an incredibly subtle plastic factory effluent character (given who we're really talking about here), ethereal earthy, er, something dry, and a soft, slightly perfumed booziness.

The carbonation is pliant and generally frothy, the body medium weight, but in a rather sugary manner, and smooth like a veritable dose of flat soda. It finishes still overwrought in its sweetness, grape drink crystals the usual and obvious perp, while a mildly astringent corn grist and associated booziness slowly burbles up as it warms.

Well kiss my grits - WTF? This is still a malt liquor, don't get me wrong, but none like I have yet come across. First - that look - very schwarzbier, I'd say, but things head downhill after that, but in a less heady descent than expected. For a 20-proof offering, the heat is damned-near non-existent, at the admissible expense of an overly plain fruity and pithy 'malt' experience. Mssr. Neilly seems to still be working his magic in that Calgary industrial park, if perhaps in inherently misguided corporate ways. Anyways, at the YEG store that I bought this in, the cashier looked at it when I was checking out, and said 'wow, that's one cheap beer'. Strangely, I'm not so sure I agree. Kill me now.

biboergosum, Nov 17, 2013
Black Rabbit from Minhas Craft Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.