Boxer Gluten Free - Minhas Craft Brewery

Boxer Gluten FreeBoxer Gluten Free

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 02-25-2014)
1.13/5  rDev -53.1%

I was unfortunate enough to try this at a recent beer tasting near my house sponsored by Minhas. I knew what I was getting myself into, being a former liquor store worker myself, I am very familiar with Minhas and their infamous products. Still, it was a free tasting and barbecue... how could I say no?

Well, I really should have. They were demoing, among other things, their new gluten-free boxer lager. Regular boxer lager is terrible enough, but I thought "hey, maybe if they take out the barley it will taste better!" No, it really didn't. It pours pale yellow, almost as pale as my face when I took a sip. The aroma was non-existent, although maybe that is a good thing. The taste was just gnarly. I'm not a big fan of gluten-free beers in general, but this one just tastes like boxer. except not as sweet. I was the first one to have a sample of it too! They were running for over 2 hours by the time I arrived, and the kind demo girl cracked open the first can for me. If I can give Minhas any credit, it is that their demo girls are both attractive and very friendly.

Don't buy this. Even if you're gluten intolerant, buy Mongozo or Damm Daura or something.

Olek4374, Jun 22, 2014
3.61/5  rDev +49.8%

I don't profess to be connoisseur, I just know what I like. I like this beer. Is it the best tasting gluten free beer, no, Greens is the best as far as I'm concerned.

I've been forced to drink gluten free beer for the past 4 years and have tried several different brands. Until recently Bards was my go to beer but $19 a six pack is a little hard to swallow here in Alberta, Canada. Then along came Boxer gluten free at $9 a six pack, taxes included.

Before I had to drink gluten free my favorite beer was Molson Canadian. I find Boxer Gluten free very similar. It's not a strong dark beer but when it's hot out and you're on the deck it tastes just fine.

Bottom line, it's not the best gluten free beer but right now it's the cheapest and it tastes like real beer.

Omb327, May 02, 2014
2.48/5  rDev +2.9%

355ml can, a single from the Pizza Brew in Calgary. Oh my dear lord - take a shitty lager, and give it the further dumbing down of the gluten free treatment.

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden yellow colour, with two fingers of weakly foamy, and bubbly dirty white head, which leaves some sparse archipelago lace in spots around the glass as it quickly bleeds away.

It smells of musty cardboard, stale sour apple, polluted water, and a bland vegetal astringency. The taste is hard water, wet paper, the pot after you've drained the vegetables, and watered-down cider. Not the worst I've had, I suppose, for this pseudo-style.

The bubbles are pretty sedate, just a faint frothiness arises as we quickly go along, the body well on the light side, and smooth like another quaffing beverage we're all familiar with. It finishes, well, I'll say it again - watery - any mock graininess fading further into that good night, and any off-flavours equally keeping it dialed down.

Speaking of keeping it down, this is way, way, way easier to drink than the Lazy Mutt GF variant - I guess making a lager vs. an ale with alternative grains is just easier? It would have to be for this brewery to get it, um, 'righter' with this one. Right, as in, inoffensive, and somewhat drinkable, if you don't care about the existence of that thing called flavour.

biboergosum, Feb 26, 2014
Boxer Gluten Free from Minhas Craft Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.