Rhinelander - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Reviews by eb003:
4.08/5  rDev +46.8%

COOL! I had never had this beer until last night. I bought it because Liquor Barn had it on for 3.99 per 12 pack. Now, I don't know if that's a sale price or what, but talk about a great beer for the buck.

I tasted both the regular and Light versions. I'm a light beer person, just to avoid all the calories and carbs...but I liked both regular and light. The appearance is about average for a macro. The smell is nice and clean...the taste blew me away. For the cheap price, I expected cheap taste...NOT AT ALL. It is very flavorful and light on the palate. The mouthfeel is pretty good. I rate this really high on drinkability because I could easily drink this stuff all night.

Nice brew for the buck...but overall a nice brew "period". I agree with the BA who said it would be nice with summer cookouts...and beer brats. Heat them coals and chill the Rhinelander.

eb003, Oct 09, 2006
2.79/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Man, how many of the returnable bottle cases of these did I knock back from Koppa's while at Marquette?

Looks like the faintest stuff in the world. I mean, Keystone Light might be darker. No head, lacing, color, but lots of carbonation. Aroma was the gritty industrial metallic(a) feel to it.

Taste, not horrible, something to appreciate, it has an aftertaste completely unique to this beer. No hops, malt or alcohol is noticeable in the flavor profile, but whether it comes from the yeast or whatnot, there is a faint, earthy sweetness that is quite enjoyable at the end of every sip/gulp/pound down.

Super cheap, super drinkable non offensive beer. Honestly, I wish I had it as a cheap beer alternative out here. Probably would only drink it 1-2 times a year, but hey, its somethin.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 18, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

richkrull, Mar 12, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +22.3%

Oh Rhinelander, how I love you so. During my senior year of college at Indiana, Big Red began to stock cases of returnables on this fine brew. For the low, low price of $13 I'd be out the door with a dirty box of what appeared to be ancient bottles of beer. The bottles are so thick that it feels like a mug. It pours golden with a slight head and a very little smell. It tastes crisp and refreshing. It does taste a lot like (insert macro-brew here). All in all, a decent beer.

swamiswamu, Oct 18, 2004
3.3/5  rDev +18.7%

Very light gold in color. A tiny bit of fresh malt in the nose, combined with some vegetal notes and a hint of banana. Pours with a nice thick head that slowly reduces to a collar of foam. A very smooth light bodied lager beer with some sweet, straight-ahead malt flavor accented by what seems like a small percentage of adjuncts. Very little hops. Finishes sweet with just the tiniest hint of dryness. If this had more hops it would make for a fairly decent Bavarian Helles. I bought a case of this to fill the returnable bottles with my own homebrew. Certainly more drinkable than many other "macro" beers and worth the price at $12 a case!

marcobrau, Feb 15, 2003
3.58/5  rDev +28.8%

12 ounce can, purchased on a recent trip to Liquor Barn, Lexington, KY. The beer pours yellow/gold with a half inch white head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. Aroma is corn and sweet malt, nothing else that I can tell. With that being said, the aroma isn't bad at all. Taste is the same as the aroma, and it has a lingering sweet aftertaste. Compared to similar beers, it does taste good. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's a bit dry with average carbonation. Drinkability is pretty decent, it's not hard to drink at all. I think this would be a good summer/lawnmower beer, as it's quite sessionable. It's cheap, drinkable and not too bad at all, actually. This was better than I expected it to be.

bluejacket74, Nov 02, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Bought a 6 pack of this as an impulse buy at the Liquer Barn in Lexington for $2.60. Guess I was impressed by the buzzsaw label on the green can. Yeah, i'm easily amused.

Anyhoo, this poured a lemony yellow into my pint glass with a 1/2 inch sudsy head that quickly disappeared. Smelled like some funky combination of corn, grass and lemons. But then again, I don't think a lot about smelling my beer, I quickly want to taste it.

I do taste some grains, a little malt and some alcohol. But when ice cold, it goes down fine. I don't think I want this brew to get too warm.

For a hot summer day after mowing the lawn or grilling in the back yard this beer is good for the price. Sure you can find better, just not at this price point. Good for a cheap beer.

Ottertude, Jun 09, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pale yellow with a big, soapy shaving cream head with a few big bubbles lazily popping on the surface. The nose is corn grits and green apple skin with a whiff of sulfur. Grainy and mildly solvent like with plenty of green apple. Light bodied and watery with fizzy carbonation. Pretty lame.

biggred1, Mar 17, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

A60sburnout, May 27, 2012

cnbrown313, Jul 29, 2013

Jimboe, Oct 03, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +28.8%

Appearance: Pale yellow beer, head disappears quickly. Minimal Lacing, but carbonation sticks around a while.

Smell: Corn, sweet fruit smell.

Taste: Good typical yellow beer, maybe a bit metallic.

Mouthfeel: Light, slightly metallic

Drinkability: If your looking for a good cheap yellow beer for watching the Cubs choke this will fit the bill.

[ serving type: 12 OZ can ]

Also makes the best beer bread I've ever made/had and decent beer brats too.

HuberFan, Oct 03, 2007
2.9/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer demostrates nearly all of the flaws that off-flavor charts describe. Oddly enough, the balance comes together quite well. A typical adjunct-laden pilsner malt base is over-sparged to ensure graininess and astringency. Sulfur flavors range from corn early on to burned matches later on. Somewhat fruity with sharp green-apples and lemon-zest acidity. All this pushed up against a fizzy carbonation with a strong efforvescent texture. Then all of this magically rounds into surprisingly drinkable beer. Certainly not top shelf, but throw it in the freezer for an hour, mow the lawn, and then you'll too beleive you got you 33-cents worth.

BEERchitect, Aug 15, 2008
1.25/5  rDev -55%

antichuckmoore, Jul 07, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -55%

nineworldseries, Jun 03, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

MNJR, Feb 04, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Shorty into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear deep gold body with a thin cap of fine white head. Ok retention and clingy lace. Pretty good.

S: Crackery malt, cooked vegetables, corn, and butter. All the off notes actually work ok together, but it's pretty weak.

T: Buttered squash, toasted bread, and some minerality. Corn and diacetyl on the harsh finish. Not good at all.

M: Light-to-medium body with a fairly high dose of prickly carbonation. Not bad, not great.

O: I do genuinely enjoy the nostalgia of the Rhinelander shorty, as I grew up fishing with my dad on a lake near Rhinelander (during the period between the original brewery going under and Minhas resurrecting this zombie version of the beer), and he would call sub-legal bass "Rhinelander shorties." It's fun getting to stock the cabin fridge with these, even if only my MGD-loving mother actually thinks they're decent beers. At least my dad now has the sense to drink New Glarus.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Aug 17, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

rabbitguy, Oct 11, 2014

ParkbrauFan, Mar 28, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a standard pint glass. Brewery is listed as Minhas "Craft" Brewery and yet I am sampling an American Adjunct Lager. Interesting.
Rhinelander pours out looking exactly like a BMC. Pale yellow-gold, with a quickly fading wisp of foam.
Aroma-Subtle nothingness, faint aluminum.
Taste-Adjuct all the way, although a bit better than a standard "light" BMC
Overall, for best drinkability: Consume at ice-cold temperature preferably on a hot day, after physical exercise, in a chugging or gulping manner. Ice cold can could also be used (unopened) to cool off forehead after strenuous exercise (such as lawn-mowing, or fishing under a hot sun)

hosehead83, Aug 23, 2010

bicyclesnbeer, Dec 25, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +27%

Poured into a pint, this brew is a brilliant golden/pale straw in color, topped with a creamy off-white head of two-fingers. Head recedes at an average pace and leaves a nice clingy lace around the edge of my pint glass. Nose is hardly exceptional (pale and pilsener malts fairly neutered by a light cornt grist) but neither is it offensive. In fact, I'd swear there are hops in this one (just plain Huber has less hops!) Sweet and tongue-coatingly smooth on the first sip, I'm a lot less than surprised by the overall complexion here, but it has a nice drinkability -- reminds me a lot of High Life from that big brewery over East a ways (and I actually do like that one.) Bitterness is there, and about what I'd expect from the nose. 4.4% but feels and tastes lightly boozy. Although I wish I'd tried this old war horse of a recipe before the ownership change in recent years (just for the sake of comaprison), it tastes like a weaker, tastier version of Moutain Crest -- whereas Crest has always impressed me as an 'Ice' style beer complete with hangover, this one is a lot more drinkable and sessionable. Fact is, I'm impressed by Rhinelander's un-impressive, highly inoffensive, readily drinkable nature, and am scoring it higher than others might for those very qualities. At $5.55 a 12 pack (Woodman's in Monroe) and the last 12er on the floor, this is a good beer at a great price: wish I could get it in the Twin Cities...

Chaz, Jun 11, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

imperialking, Jan 09, 2012
1.9/5  rDev -31.7%

Bought a case of stubby bottles because it was both cheap and awesome looking. Wasn't until I got in the car that I bothered to check where it was brewed and yep, crap, Monroe, meaning Minhas, meaning the bane of beerness.

But, fuck it, approach this with an open mind.

Pours light, about average for the style. Smells fine, too, which is a pleasant surprise. Very weak, but some lightly metallic adjuncts against little hints of barley.

Tastes like it smells, only with a back end that's overun with Minhas' trademarked soapy chemical badness. Thankfully said badness is here nowhere near as pronounced as it is in most of their beers--owing probably to the total faintness of this one.

I could actually finish it, which is a step up from this brewer's usual beers. Only that may have just been because the bottle was so small, come to think of it...

mynie, Mar 20, 2012