2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mountain Creek Classic Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

Mountain Creek Classic LagerMountain Creek Classic Lager

awful

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 08-27-2004)
View: Beers (85) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 49 | Show All Ratings:
h20mbh

Saskatchewan (Canada)

1.5/5  rDev -30.9%

appearance
average lager type of appearance with medium carbonation.

smell
smells like corn syrup and alcohol.

taste
like corn syrup and alcohol. the corn syrup flavor is really pronounced in the the after taste. it is questionable whether there is barley or hops in this "beer"

mouthfeel
very light and clean in the mouth.

overall
look and mouthfeel are average lager type, but the smell and taste really give this beer a bad rap in my books. if you can get this beer to nearly freezing temperature it would be able to hide the extreme cheapness in quality of this beer. good for 20 something trying to get drunk. everyone else, stay away, pabst blue ribbon rates average across the board and is a far superior beer in the adjunct lager class.

02-02-2012 04:20:36 | More by h20mbh
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev +29%

Pale yellow appearance with lots of bubbly head that quickly disappears leaving little lacing. Smell consists of corn, grain with a hint of booze and sweetness. So far close to being a Macro lager.

Taste is similar to the smell, corn, grain and a hint of malt. Has a corn syrup sweetness and booziness along with the cough syrup hint that Minhas beer usually has. Medium bodied with low carbonation. Aftertaste is linger dry grainy taste.

This is as cheap and basic as a Lager can get. It's okay for the price and drinkable, the sweetness gives it personality over the watery cheap beer. Would only recommend if your broke though.

01-23-2012 01:33:40 | More by CrazyMike
AleWatcher

1.25/5  rDev -42.4%

Can into tulip pint.
Another mix-a-six treasure from Trader Joe's... Why do we do this to ourselves? Do we EVER expect to truly uncover a hidden gem in the world of canned lagers? Oh well... $0.67 per can makes it worth the trouble to tick it!

So I was gentle with this can as I took it from the fridge, placed it on the counter, grabbed a glass, and got my iPhone ready totyoe up the review... It EXPLODED upon opening as though I had vigorously shaken it up! (not sure why-- it has been in the fridge, unmoved and unmolested for at least 10 days).
I'm scared.

A slanted glass for the pour let lots of foam fall sink-side, but manages to leave three fingers' worth in the glass. Soapy looking shiny white micro-bubbles. They settled quickly atop the lightly hazed yellow body. Looks VERY carbonated.

Smells... Well... Odd. Really mineraly, with some cooked/steed vegetable notes. NOT excited.

Aaaand.... It's a drainpour.
I'll force myself through a few more sips to finish the review, but me no likey!

Little sweet corn sweetness up front with the steamed vegetables at the back end and a very mineral/hard water finish.

Body is light and airy-- almost fluffy.

Overall-- in a word;
Yikes.

This is unpleasant and undrinkable. This offends my lady-like sensibilities.

11-27-2011 03:20:57 | More by AleWatcher
Deuane

2.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks? to woodychandler for a can of this.

A-Bright copper kissed golden yellow with a medium white head that reduced to a thin veil of retention and leaves minimal lace.

S-Sweet corn with some honeyed biscuit and odd touch of lemon zest? and not much else.

T-Oof...not digging the oddly bitter sweet corn quality here. This is not a taste profile I can really enjoy.

M-Medium-light bodied, fairly sharp and crisp but then that is it...the aftertaste is something I would like to do away with.

D-Can't say I will be looking to pick up a case of this next time I am in Wisconsin! There are FAR better, easy drinking, American Lagers out there....this one just comes off as odd and not enjoyable at all.

03-08-2011 19:56:22 | More by Deuane
EgadBananas

Louisiana

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%

Thanks to woodychandler for the CAN!

Light orange, mostly clear, bright white head, fluffy. Not bad looking.

Smell is minimal: bit of corny, grainy sweetness and not much else.

My 2nd Minhas, and again with the cloying corny sweetness. Aside from the faintest hint of hops on the finish, there is nothing palatable about this thing.

Somewhat crisp feel, but bit of stickiness about it that's unsatisfying. Light in body.

There's really nothing drinkable about this. This was easier than the Clear Creek Ice, but that's not really saying much...

02-03-2011 00:49:57 | More by EgadBananas
richkrull

2.78/5  rDev +28.1%

Pulled this one out of my mystery beer machine.

A - Very pale straw color. Lots of big foamy head that disappeared relatively quickly.

S - Grainy, alcohol smell.

T - Really tastes of alcohol. Not a lot of beer flavor.

M - Decent, not a lot to it.

D - Sure, this beer isn't bad and you could drink quite a few of them, but it's not a great beer that I would choose.

I will say that the price is definitely right here in southern Wisconsin. Liquor store near my house has it for $9.50/30 pack.

01-22-2011 00:53:55 | More by richkrull
BeerLover99

3.33/5  rDev +53.5%

A- pale yellow, big head that subsides.

S- grainy, sweet, mild corn aroma.

T- sweet up front, slight bitter in finish.

M- light, smooth, tons of carbonation, great hot day, post grass cutting day.

D- BMC style but better taste. In a pinch, could be a solid replacement to get your big MACRO beer drinking friends a taste of something different.

12-13-2010 20:34:01 | More by BeerLover99
alleykatking

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can. Thanks to Lukafer for this one..haha.

A- Pours a pale yellow color. One finger white head shows pour retention. Light spotty lacing on the sides of the glass. Average looking adjunct lager.

S- Sweet alcohol and a boat load of grainy sweetness. Light metallic aroma in the backend.

T- Sweet cereal grains in the front of the beer. There is some light bitterness in the backend. The bitterness doesn't offset the sweetness. In the very back there is a metallic taste...the warmer it gets the bigger it is.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high but good for the style. Sweet malts left on the palate. Sweet malts and alcohol with a hint of metal in the aftertaste. Flavors are balanced for the style but the kind of sickly sweet. Light alcohol dryness on the palate.

D- This is a drinkable beer. The flavor suits the style. I wouldn't want this beer per say but it is easy drinking beer on a warm day.

12-07-2010 05:37:25 | More by alleykatking
pweis909

1.98/5  rDev -8.8%

Lovely golden color with thin receding head.
From there, it gets blander.

-Aroma - graininess, a bit of alcohol.
-Taste - almost nothing, slight doughyness in the finish.
-Mouthfeel - Not bad. A little slicky/silky. More than just having water in your mouth. Thank goodness for texture.
-Drinkability. 2 would be my limit. Nothing exciting, easy to tire of. Not necessarily filling or cloyin, just nothing.

10-19-2010 22:13:49 | More by pweis909
TMoney2591

1.93/5  rDev -11.1%

Served...on a boat. That is all I will say.

Found this can during Man's Weekend for fifty cents at a nearby bait shop/general store. Couldn't say no. A pour results in a clear pale jaundice topped by a very short-lived finger of white foam. The nose is nothing more than a combination of corn syrup and bone. Nyeh. The taste does not improve much, though a hint of sweetness in there vainly tries to prove me wrong. The body is quite light, with a moderate carbonation and a deceptively smooth feel. Overall, I think I was lucky that I was only responsible for one can of this. Any more and I probably would have had to have been dragged from the bottom o' Catfish Lake following a botched stress-based suicide. A bit melodramatic, yes, but this beer was pretty damn bad.

09-20-2010 03:28:35 | More by TMoney2591
tone77

3.45/5  rDev +59%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts with a hint of metallic odor. Taste is good, malts and a touch of bitterness, quite refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall not a bad beer at all.

08-04-2010 14:42:36 | More by tone77
woodychandler

2.48/5  rDev +14.3%

Hello Minhas, my old friend, I've come to drink with you again,
Because a desire for CANs softly creeping, Left its seeds while I was napping, And the taste that was planted in my mouth
Still remains, within the hangover from the last time.

In restless dreams I drank CANned beers alone, Narrow passageways to the lav, 'neath the glow of my laptop, I turned my head to the cold and damp of the refrigerator door When my eyes were stabbed by the reefer's light That split the night, and touched my headache anew.

And in the naked light I saw, a case or two, maybe more.
CANned beers sitting without speaking, CANned beers waiting without drinking, People like you making beers, that friends should never share. And no one else dared, Disturb the 12-pack of Minhas Mountain Creek Classic Lager.

"Fools" said I, "You do not know, CANs are the way to go. Read my words that I might teach you, Take me to the hospital in case I reach out to you." But my words fell silent as the teardrops began to fall when the sound of the CAN being cracked open echoed throughout the house.

And the people bowed and prayed, For my liver, now long decayed and to all I give this warning, In the words that I have been long in forming. And I say, "Beware Minhas Products, yo! This stuff'll kill ya!" and then there was naught but silence.

Thanks to Simon & Garfunkel for their inspiration on the above. Now, a review:

My pour created just better than a finger of rocky, bone-white head that fell faster than I did, just moments after the last time I had the pleasure of a Minhas product, intentionally NOT referred to as a beer. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the now-familiar grapish-plastic factory one-two punch that CAN only be a by-product of their yeast. Ooof. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was not bad, relatively speaking. Yes, it still had a cotton candy-like sweetness, but it was not as pronounced in this beer. Finish was slightly dry, lingering with that same sweetish flavor noted on the mouth, but still muted, making it less of a choke-out than many of their other products. Cooler? No way am I wasting space. Anybody want some for their own CANQuest (TM)? If not, the remainder is going to a frat party.

From the CAN: " Mountain Creek Classic Lager Beer starts as the purest crystal-clear water and is craft brewed in small batches. Our gold medalist brewmaster ferments only the finest sun-ripened hops & two-row malted barley to create this crisp, clean, classic lager."

08-02-2010 17:56:48 | More by woodychandler
ruckus232

2.58/5  rDev +18.9%

12 Ounce can poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Very light clear yellow in color with a surprisingly thick white head

Smell: Has a sweet corn smell similar to american adjunct lagers but with a little bit of an alcohol smell added

Taste: There is a little hint of sweetness and a little hint of bitterness but not much. There is also a slight alcohol taste that is finally followed but a little bit of sweetness.

12-30-2009 01:25:46 | More by ruckus232
matjack85

1.98/5  rDev -8.8%

Trader Joe's was selling single cans of this stuff for just 47¢ each so I picked one up and brought it home.

The beer poured a crystal clear pale yellow color that made a two finger white dish soap looking head that disappeared in less than 30 seconds. Surprisingly, it did leave a few spots of lace on the glass.

The beer smelled like bubble gum. Lots of sugary sweetness and nothing else.

The taste is just simple sweet grainy maltiness with the slightest himt of hop presence. Not enough hops to balanc it though. It remains an unimpressive sugar water flavored beer.

The mouthfeel is watery thin with medium carbonation. Not much body to this but it goes down easy if you don't mind the sweetness. No alcoholic flavor and no aftertaste. I'd rather spend the extra money and get something worth drinking.

12-06-2009 06:02:25 | More by matjack85
wheatyweiss

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

Wow.

I really never thought I could, in any conciense give a review like this.

This beer, which came at 2.39 a sixer is an anamoly. I say that because, even though it is shittier than OE, it claims that it is from a "small craft brewerey".

I'm gonna scream bullshit and proclaim it one of my top five hated beers of all time. Not because it sucks but, it passes itself off as craft?

Fuck this "I am a small craft brew I am good" bullshit.

If you know the brewer drink it. If you don't revcognize the brewer it is probably BMC.

10-17-2009 03:08:17 | More by wheatyweiss
CPeterson

2.35/5  rDev +8.3%

A -- A pale yellow pours into the glass, fizzes and then fades.

S -- Sweet, like a more potent version of any traditional macro swill. But nary a thing else.

T -- For what it is, it's not bad. Considering you can pry this off any bum in the gutter and still drink it, I'm a little impressed. Definitely not great but a slightly weighted score given the fact it's the cheapest thing around.

M -- Meh. There feels like there's beer there, but only because I know that's what it is. Light carbonation.

D -- Considering a case is less than a ten spot, this must be popular with drunks, kids, and people on a budget. I may grab a 12'er for 'friend beer' for those that are afraid of what lies much beyond Bud/Miller/Coors.

09-11-2009 01:18:25 | More by CPeterson
WYVYRN527

1.18/5  rDev -45.6%

Didn't want to get into my beer, so I took one of my brother's. It honestly looks like it was scooped out of the toilet. Pale yellow with big frothy piss bubbles. It turns to something resembling water with a drop of yellow food coloring put in it. The smell is hardly even there. A hint of grain with a metallic tinge. Taste is nearly identical. Metallic, with flavors cheap grain and sweat. Mouthfeel is pretty bad. It is light, but the aftertaste sticks around, causing a constant gag reflex. Drinkability? NO! The first sip and I had to give it to someone else. They wouldn't even drink it. I'm sure it got poured down the drain after it was passed around to a few people.

08-28-2009 06:36:47 | More by WYVYRN527
RJUGA03

2.53/5  rDev +16.6%

S=it had a faint malty smell with metallic hints lingering.

T=It has a overly simple taste of a macro with nothing

M= It has a slighltly carbonated feel with an extremely thin overall feel.

D= It is definately a decent beer when your in a financial pinch. I'm sure in my college years I would have consumed mass quantities of this beer.

08-12-2009 07:25:17 | More by RJUGA03
mckajd03

2.48/5  rDev +14.3%

Not offensive, but absolutely nothing special. Being in a can doesn't help. Sweet corn nose makes you think it has something to offer, but the taste is watery and plain. Somewhat bitter aftertaste, but that has more to do with the lack of taste to begin with than any appreciable hop bitterness. Not as bad as the Macros, but fairly close.

07-19-2009 21:03:57 | More by mckajd03
feloniousmonk

2.35/5  rDev +8.3%

I'm reviewing a can of "Mountain Crest Classic Lager Beer" here. Won't gonna go into the minutiae at all, just gonna chug ahead.

Clear, golden color, small, soon-gone tepid head.

Sweet,corny, cereal-y nose. Flat, bleh.

Wetness dominates in the flavor.Moistness reigns supreme. Is there anything else. Noop. Cold, wet, sweet, alcohol, somewhere, down there.

Little redeeming qualities here. Cheapness, I guess. Blah.

04-18-2009 06:56:11 | More by feloniousmonk
biggred1

Indiana

Light blonde with some suspended yeast visable, a big soapy head of white suds that leave minimal lace. Smells of grits, light toasted grain and mild hops. Tastes like corn flakes and wimpy hops. Medium light on the palate. A decent brew for cheap, better than BMC for less than half the price.

04-01-2009 02:48:35 | More by biggred1
diabecktic

2.9/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Head formation is quick; retention (~1 finger) and lacing are minimal. The beer itself is a translucent gold color with a hint of cloudiness. There is plenty of slowly-rising carbonation.

Smell:
The nose is fairly sweet. There really isn't much there other than a corn-y malt. It lacks most of the metallic aroma that a lot of similarly priced/crafted beers have.

Taste:
The taste matches the nose pretty well; corn malt hits the taste buds quickly and leave a little bit of hop "kick" behind. Again, it seems to lack that metallic character that I would expect. It doesn't leave much of an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
I would rate the body as light. Though it's not watery, I wouldn't say that it's much heavier. The slight tingling on my tongue is a nice feeling. It seems to "flesh out" a bit as the temperature warms.

Drinkability:
This beer was made for pounding. With the light body and no desirable flavor of which to speak, this goes right on down the hatch without any problems.

Summary:
The can actually says "Mountain Crest," but this link best matches the other specs of the beer. Having purchased 6 cans for < $3.50, I'll admit that I wasn't expecting much. I'm actually quite pleased with what I got. It's not a great beer by any means, but I would totaly take this above any of the standard college fare - Keystone/Busch Light/Ice, etc. This beer is best enjoyed cold and in large quantities (or with cheap food).

03-29-2009 03:36:32 | More by diabecktic
shirfan

1.3/5  rDev -40.1%

I've got the "Mountain Crest" can, given to me by a Koch's Golden Anniversary drinker who was trying to dole out the remainder of his case. Slightly disconcerting.

Light gold with a slight haze and no foam.

Smells like strongly metallic creamed corn and vanilla extract.

Taste is watery first and foremost, with clingy sweetness something like the powder that could be found on the bubblegum plaques mummified in baseball card packages. There's also a metallic vanilla flavor just like the nose. Hops are absolutely zero.

The can mentions a "gold medalist brewmaster" being responsible for this, yet unfortunately it doesn't mention what he won a gold medal for. I can only speculate that he may be the top rated Masters pickle distance thrower of Monroe, WI.

Quite possibly the worst beer I've ever had, excluding B^e.

02-28-2009 01:03:52 | More by shirfan
EsoxLucius

Saskatchewan (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev +18.9%

this beer in saskatchewan is known as Minhas Creek and is the 'budget beer' that's exactly 1 cent cheaper than a 12 pack of Lucky Lager.

1. poured from a can into a class, i've got a pretty rapid pour so it made a pretty massive head that disiapated within 1 minute to being about 1cm then slowly receded into a film.

bubbles galore at first, but that like the head went down quickly. lacing is there, but it quickly disapears as well.

nice color, golden yellow. looks better than Bud Light...

2. smells sweet, put my nose right in it to really catch a smell. definately not skunky, but nothing special either. if smell were to indicate taste, this will be low on good beer taste, more on sugary cover up taste. has a rough alchohol smell that comes out a bit.

3. thin, almost nothing here except for a sweet sugar taste mixed with some weak malt flavors. it says finest hops on the can... i didn't notice them, if they were there, the sugary taste definately masks it. crisp? no, not really, though it is clean with almost no aftertaste.

4. apart from it being liquid, there's not much here for mouthfeel. the amount of bubbles might've suggested a fizzy feel, but there wasn't there either, just a tiny tingle that
reminded me i drank something.

5. it's drinkable, rolls into the yardwork beer catagory for me and i do readily stock this beer in my fridge for friends that don't care about taste, but just want a cheap buzz... not worth them drinking the 'good stuff' for that!

bottom line here, it has it's place and for what it is, shouldn't get a complete F... this is a cheap beer so don't expect much. the 'get what you pay for' cliche stands true here. the marketing of this beer being 'damn good' makes me laugh, but i'll still buy this beer as mentioned for guests that don't care about taste and when Brewhouse isn't on special!

01-27-2009 05:02:07 | More by EsoxLucius
msubulldog25

Oregon

2.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My 12 oz. can reads 'Mountain Crest' but otherwise looks identical to the one pictured above. Creek, Crest, who cares? Definitely brewed by Minhas though..."Craft Brewed in Small Batches" and "UNION MADE".

Pop the top and into the pint glass it goes.

A: Started inauspiciously enough - a pale golden pour filled with a swirl of carbonation. Nearly a fingers-worth of snow-white fluff, crackling and popping noisily. Within a minute, the head dwindles to a thin film; within three it's completely dissolved. Not a trace of lace. Not quite clear - there's a hanging sediment suspended throughout that modest bubbles rise through...really I spent too much time describing this sad-looking brew.

S: Corn filler and a mild honey, vaguely minty grass. Not much there, truth be told.

T: Sweet without substance. Soft and flowery sugared-cereal grain. Thin citrus - a lemony-butter that's a bit like frosting(?). There's that trace of mintiness and a not-strong-enough mineral bittering that rounds off the sugars a little. Not awful, but not good either.

M: Weak, very weak. Not crisp, body is exceedingly light. Still, there's a gummy/starchy sweetness that sticks on the tongue and lips in an 'overstaying-its-welcome' kind of way. Get out of my mouth!

D: Knew nothing of this beer going into it, other than a quick glimpse at a few other reviews and a note (of warning) from sender. A reminder that, when beer sells for $2/6-pack there's a reason why. Fun for a try, but no reason to ever go here again.

Thanks to one of my Beer Brothers, mnwags. "Drive 'er down!"

11-13-2008 04:55:06 | More by msubulldog25