Mountain Creek Classic Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

awful

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 08-27-2004)

Chudem, Jun 28, 2014

1.75/5  rDev -18.2%

Jimboe, Oct 03, 2012

Joeyuwp, Feb 26, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -29.9%

appearance
average lager type of appearance with medium carbonation.

smell
smells like corn syrup and alcohol.

taste
like corn syrup and alcohol. the corn syrup flavor is really pronounced in the the after taste. it is questionable whether there is barley or hops in this "beer"

mouthfeel
very light and clean in the mouth.

overall
look and mouthfeel are average lager type, but the smell and taste really give this beer a bad rap in my books. if you can get this beer to nearly freezing temperature it would be able to hide the extreme cheapness in quality of this beer. good for 20 something trying to get drunk. everyone else, stay away, pabst blue ribbon rates average across the board and is a far superior beer in the adjunct lager class.

h20mbh, Feb 02, 2012
2.8/5  rDev +30.8%

Pale yellow appearance with lots of bubbly head that quickly disappears leaving little lacing. Smell consists of corn, grain with a hint of booze and sweetness. So far close to being a Macro lager.

Taste is similar to the smell, corn, grain and a hint of malt. Has a corn syrup sweetness and booziness along with the cough syrup hint that Minhas beer usually has. Medium bodied with low carbonation. Aftertaste is linger dry grainy taste.

This is as cheap and basic as a Lager can get. It's okay for the price and drinkable, the sweetness gives it personality over the watery cheap beer. Would only recommend if your broke though.

CrazyMike, Jan 23, 2012

durwood64, Jan 10, 2012

FreshmanPour77, Dec 09, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -41.6%

Can into tulip pint.
Another mix-a-six treasure from Trader Joe's... Why do we do this to ourselves? Do we EVER expect to truly uncover a hidden gem in the world of canned lagers? Oh well... $0.67 per can makes it worth the trouble to tick it!

So I was gentle with this can as I took it from the fridge, placed it on the counter, grabbed a glass, and got my iPhone ready totyoe up the review... It EXPLODED upon opening as though I had vigorously shaken it up! (not sure why-- it has been in the fridge, unmoved and unmolested for at least 10 days).
I'm scared.

A slanted glass for the pour let lots of foam fall sink-side, but manages to leave three fingers' worth in the glass. Soapy looking shiny white micro-bubbles. They settled quickly atop the lightly hazed yellow body. Looks VERY carbonated.

Smells... Well... Odd. Really mineraly, with some cooked/steed vegetable notes. NOT excited.

Aaaand.... It's a drainpour.
I'll force myself through a few more sips to finish the review, but me no likey!

Little sweet corn sweetness up front with the steamed vegetables at the back end and a very mineral/hard water finish.

Body is light and airy-- almost fluffy.

Overall-- in a word;
Yikes.

This is unpleasant and undrinkable. This offends my lady-like sensibilities.

AleWatcher, Nov 27, 2011

twbeecher, Nov 16, 2011
2.25/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks? to woodychandler for a can of this.

A-Bright copper kissed golden yellow with a medium white head that reduced to a thin veil of retention and leaves minimal lace.

S-Sweet corn with some honeyed biscuit and odd touch of lemon zest? and not much else.

T-Oof...not digging the oddly bitter sweet corn quality here. This is not a taste profile I can really enjoy.

M-Medium-light bodied, fairly sharp and crisp but then that is it...the aftertaste is something I would like to do away with.

D-Can't say I will be looking to pick up a case of this next time I am in Wisconsin! There are FAR better, easy drinking, American Lagers out there....this one just comes off as odd and not enjoyable at all.

Deuane, Mar 08, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -19.2%

Thanks to woodychandler for the CAN!

Light orange, mostly clear, bright white head, fluffy. Not bad looking.

Smell is minimal: bit of corny, grainy sweetness and not much else.

My 2nd Minhas, and again with the cloying corny sweetness. Aside from the faintest hint of hops on the finish, there is nothing palatable about this thing.

Somewhat crisp feel, but bit of stickiness about it that's unsatisfying. Light in body.

There's really nothing drinkable about this. This was easier than the Clear Creek Ice, but that's not really saying much...

EgadBananas, Feb 03, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +29.9%

Pulled this one out of my mystery beer machine.

A - Very pale straw color. Lots of big foamy head that disappeared relatively quickly.

S - Grainy, alcohol smell.

T - Really tastes of alcohol. Not a lot of beer flavor.

M - Decent, not a lot to it.

D - Sure, this beer isn't bad and you could drink quite a few of them, but it's not a great beer that I would choose.

I will say that the price is definitely right here in southern Wisconsin. Liquor store near my house has it for $9.50/30 pack.

richkrull, Jan 22, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +55.6%

A- pale yellow, big head that subsides.

S- grainy, sweet, mild corn aroma.

T- sweet up front, slight bitter in finish.

M- light, smooth, tons of carbonation, great hot day, post grass cutting day.

D- BMC style but better taste. In a pinch, could be a solid replacement to get your big MACRO beer drinking friends a taste of something different.

BeerLover99, Dec 13, 2010
2.83/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can. Thanks to Lukafer for this one..haha.

A- Pours a pale yellow color. One finger white head shows pour retention. Light spotty lacing on the sides of the glass. Average looking adjunct lager.

S- Sweet alcohol and a boat load of grainy sweetness. Light metallic aroma in the backend.

T- Sweet cereal grains in the front of the beer. There is some light bitterness in the backend. The bitterness doesn't offset the sweetness. In the very back there is a metallic taste...the warmer it gets the bigger it is.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high but good for the style. Sweet malts left on the palate. Sweet malts and alcohol with a hint of metal in the aftertaste. Flavors are balanced for the style but the kind of sickly sweet. Light alcohol dryness on the palate.

D- This is a drinkable beer. The flavor suits the style. I wouldn't want this beer per say but it is easy drinking beer on a warm day.

alleykatking, Dec 07, 2010
1.98/5  rDev -7.5%

Lovely golden color with thin receding head.
From there, it gets blander.

-Aroma - graininess, a bit of alcohol.
-Taste - almost nothing, slight doughyness in the finish.
-Mouthfeel - Not bad. A little slicky/silky. More than just having water in your mouth. Thank goodness for texture.
-Drinkability. 2 would be my limit. Nothing exciting, easy to tire of. Not necessarily filling or cloyin, just nothing.

pweis909, Oct 19, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -9.8%

Served...on a boat. That is all I will say.

Found this can during Man's Weekend for fifty cents at a nearby bait shop/general store. Couldn't say no. A pour results in a clear pale jaundice topped by a very short-lived finger of white foam. The nose is nothing more than a combination of corn syrup and bone. Nyeh. The taste does not improve much, though a hint of sweetness in there vainly tries to prove me wrong. The body is quite light, with a moderate carbonation and a deceptively smooth feel. Overall, I think I was lucky that I was only responsible for one can of this. Any more and I probably would have had to have been dragged from the bottom o' Catfish Lake following a botched stress-based suicide. A bit melodramatic, yes, but this beer was pretty damn bad.

TMoney2591, Sep 20, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +61.2%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts with a hint of metallic odor. Taste is good, malts and a touch of bitterness, quite refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall not a bad beer at all.

tone77, Aug 04, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +15.9%

Hello Minhas, my old friend, I've come to drink with you again,
Because a desire for CANs softly creeping, Left its seeds while I was napping, And the taste that was planted in my mouth
Still remains, within the hangover from the last time.

In restless dreams I drank CANned beers alone, Narrow passageways to the lav, 'neath the glow of my laptop, I turned my head to the cold and damp of the refrigerator door When my eyes were stabbed by the reefer's light That split the night, and touched my headache anew.

And in the naked light I saw, a case or two, maybe more.
CANned beers sitting without speaking, CANned beers waiting without drinking, People like you making beers, that friends should never share. And no one else dared, Disturb the 12-pack of Minhas Mountain Creek Classic Lager.

"Fools" said I, "You do not know, CANs are the way to go. Read my words that I might teach you, Take me to the hospital in case I reach out to you." But my words fell silent as the teardrops began to fall when the sound of the CAN being cracked open echoed throughout the house.

And the people bowed and prayed, For my liver, now long decayed and to all I give this warning, In the words that I have been long in forming. And I say, "Beware Minhas Products, yo! This stuff'll kill ya!" and then there was naught but silence.

Thanks to Simon & Garfunkel for their inspiration on the above. Now, a review:

My pour created just better than a finger of rocky, bone-white head that fell faster than I did, just moments after the last time I had the pleasure of a Minhas product, intentionally NOT referred to as a beer. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the now-familiar grapish-plastic factory one-two punch that CAN only be a by-product of their yeast. Ooof. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was not bad, relatively speaking. Yes, it still had a cotton candy-like sweetness, but it was not as pronounced in this beer. Finish was slightly dry, lingering with that same sweetish flavor noted on the mouth, but still muted, making it less of a choke-out than many of their other products. Cooler? No way am I wasting space. Anybody want some for their own CANQuest (TM)? If not, the remainder is going to a frat party.

From the CAN: " Mountain Creek Classic Lager Beer starts as the purest crystal-clear water and is craft brewed in small batches. Our gold medalist brewmaster ferments only the finest sun-ripened hops & two-row malted barley to create this crisp, clean, classic lager."

woodychandler, Aug 02, 2010