Mountain Creek Classic Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

awful

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 08-27-2004)
Reviews by svraines:
1.75/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I am a fan of Berghoff lager, so I thought this product coming out of Monroe,WI might be a bargain at 1.99/sixer. Looks like you would expect, straw yellow, rocky head that dissipates quickly. Smells like a frat house floor after a kegger. Taste is surprisingly sweet, but not malty goodness sweet, more cloying, syrupy sweet. Mouthfeel is great, very smooth and full, but then you have to swallow. It is hard to convince yourself to take another drink. Might be good for chasing shots at a party.

2.2/5  rDev +2.8%

It smelled like well-hydrated urine. It poured a translucent golden with a thin white head that immediately dissipated. There was virtually no carbonation. It goes down really, really easy. I could have slammed the six-pack without really noticing that I had drank anything accept that I started feeling hung over about 40 seconds after I started. The taste was appley.

I will give Huber props for making this crap ass beer for the Canadians. If they’ll pay us cheese heads to make them junk like this more power to Huber.

Oh, I only paid like 25 cents a can so I can't bark too much. If it had cost me anything, I probably would have given it straight 1’s.

2.58/5  rDev +20.6%

this beer in saskatchewan is known as Minhas Creek and is the 'budget beer' that's exactly 1 cent cheaper than a 12 pack of Lucky Lager.

1. poured from a can into a class, i've got a pretty rapid pour so it made a pretty massive head that disiapated within 1 minute to being about 1cm then slowly receded into a film.

bubbles galore at first, but that like the head went down quickly. lacing is there, but it quickly disapears as well.

nice color, golden yellow. looks better than Bud Light...

2. smells sweet, put my nose right in it to really catch a smell. definately not skunky, but nothing special either. if smell were to indicate taste, this will be low on good beer taste, more on sugary cover up taste. has a rough alchohol smell that comes out a bit.

3. thin, almost nothing here except for a sweet sugar taste mixed with some weak malt flavors. it says finest hops on the can... i didn't notice them, if they were there, the sugary taste definately masks it. crisp? no, not really, though it is clean with almost no aftertaste.

4. apart from it being liquid, there's not much here for mouthfeel. the amount of bubbles might've suggested a fizzy feel, but there wasn't there either, just a tiny tingle that
reminded me i drank something.

5. it's drinkable, rolls into the yardwork beer catagory for me and i do readily stock this beer in my fridge for friends that don't care about taste, but just want a cheap buzz... not worth them drinking the 'good stuff' for that!

bottom line here, it has it's place and for what it is, shouldn't get a complete F... this is a cheap beer so don't expect much. the 'get what you pay for' cliche stands true here. the marketing of this beer being 'damn good' makes me laugh, but i'll still buy this beer as mentioned for guests that don't care about taste and when Brewhouse isn't on special!

2.8/5  rDev +30.8%

Thou shalt not slam a beer!
I saw this for $2.79 a sixer at Trader Joe's, 'round the corner from Goose Isalnd and I could not resist!
Smells and looks macro. Nice very light yellow color with a white fluffy head. Would have possibly liked a little more corn even! A good froth on the palate revealed a little sweetness. Finish was a touch bitter, but clean. For what it was worth, a good brewski for post lawn mowing activities.

2.78/5  rDev +29.9%

Pulled this one out of my mystery beer machine.

A - Very pale straw color. Lots of big foamy head that disappeared relatively quickly.

S - Grainy, alcohol smell.

T - Really tastes of alcohol. Not a lot of beer flavor.

M - Decent, not a lot to it.

D - Sure, this beer isn't bad and you could drink quite a few of them, but it's not a great beer that I would choose.

I will say that the price is definitely right here in southern Wisconsin. Liquor store near my house has it for $9.50/30 pack.

2.53/5  rDev +18.2%

My can says Mountain "Crest", but it's brewed by Minhas in Wisconsin. Can design is the same as picture. Confusing, considering it has a Canadian counterpart of some sort, but whatever...what's it's look like? Looks like your basic lager, nothing offensive to note really. The head is super-foamy and super-thick, and the color is piss-yellow with a ton of bubbles rushing to the top. Zero lace.

Aroma is typical--boiled veggies, light caramel corn, straw/hay, corn sugar, faint mineral but not metallic. As average as would be expected.

Flavor-wise I've had worse, in this and other categories. Corn and sugar are the first things that flash across the taste buds. The putrid over-boiled veggie thing that occurs so often in this class of beer is thankfully faint. So, okay, I can believe the "all malt" thing. But there's nothing truly positive to say about it, either, unless "it's not the worst lager ever" can be considered positive. Just not into this.

The mouthfeel pulls all this average-or-below stuff down toward awful territory. bland and light to medium (at best). Not appetizing. By far the worst characteristic of this beer.

This "classic lager" stretches the definition of "classic" to a ludicrous degree, but I'm surprised to have sampled half of it and not yet committed to a drain-pour. In the end I would never buy it (it was sent as comedy relief in a recent trade by my brother mnwags), and by tomorrow, or even in 15 minutes, it'll be out of mind forever.

1.88/5  rDev -12.1%

Nice rich golden pour with a sustained white head.

Aroma is overwhelmingly banana. Way out of place. Banana fills the room. Weird.

Sweet up front. Spicy bananas flambe and tin through the rest of the palate.

Kind of thick, but at least well carbonated. OK, but the banana thing is kind of strange.

2.83/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can. Thanks to Lukafer for this one..haha.

A- Pours a pale yellow color. One finger white head shows pour retention. Light spotty lacing on the sides of the glass. Average looking adjunct lager.

S- Sweet alcohol and a boat load of grainy sweetness. Light metallic aroma in the backend.

T- Sweet cereal grains in the front of the beer. There is some light bitterness in the backend. The bitterness doesn't offset the sweetness. In the very back there is a metallic taste...the warmer it gets the bigger it is.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high but good for the style. Sweet malts left on the palate. Sweet malts and alcohol with a hint of metal in the aftertaste. Flavors are balanced for the style but the kind of sickly sweet. Light alcohol dryness on the palate.

D- This is a drinkable beer. The flavor suits the style. I wouldn't want this beer per say but it is easy drinking beer on a warm day.

3.45/5  rDev +61.2%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts with a hint of metallic odor. Taste is good, malts and a touch of bitterness, quite refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall not a bad beer at all.

1.5/5  rDev -29.9%

2.9/5  rDev +35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Head formation is quick; retention (~1 finger) and lacing are minimal. The beer itself is a translucent gold color with a hint of cloudiness. There is plenty of slowly-rising carbonation.

Smell:
The nose is fairly sweet. There really isn't much there other than a corn-y malt. It lacks most of the metallic aroma that a lot of similarly priced/crafted beers have.

Taste:
The taste matches the nose pretty well; corn malt hits the taste buds quickly and leave a little bit of hop "kick" behind. Again, it seems to lack that metallic character that I would expect. It doesn't leave much of an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
I would rate the body as light. Though it's not watery, I wouldn't say that it's much heavier. The slight tingling on my tongue is a nice feeling. It seems to "flesh out" a bit as the temperature warms.

Drinkability:
This beer was made for pounding. With the light body and no desirable flavor of which to speak, this goes right on down the hatch without any problems.

Summary:
The can actually says "Mountain Crest," but this link best matches the other specs of the beer. Having purchased 6 cans for < $3.50, I'll admit that I wasn't expecting much. I'm actually quite pleased with what I got. It's not a great beer by any means, but I would totaly take this above any of the standard college fare - Keystone/Busch Light/Ice, etc. This beer is best enjoyed cold and in large quantities (or with cheap food).

2.55/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a slightly orange-golden-straw color. Nice off-white head and a semblance of mild retention to boot.
S-Grits and malt w/some faint hops. A bit pungent on the nose.
T&M-Turbo-charged, boozed-up grits. A bit sharp on the sides of the tongue. Body a little heavier than I'd expect for the style, and carbonation is pretty rich.
D-Nothing inherently wrong or flawed, and overall quite drinkable, but I don't particularly care for it. It's a hair better than some macros, and if that's what you like, this beer is a good way to keep it local. As it warms, it's not too bad.

1.73/5  rDev -19.2%

Thanks to woodychandler for the CAN!

Light orange, mostly clear, bright white head, fluffy. Not bad looking.

Smell is minimal: bit of corny, grainy sweetness and not much else.

My 2nd Minhas, and again with the cloying corny sweetness. Aside from the faintest hint of hops on the finish, there is nothing palatable about this thing.

Somewhat crisp feel, but bit of stickiness about it that's unsatisfying. Light in body.

There's really nothing drinkable about this. This was easier than the Clear Creek Ice, but that's not really saying much...

1.38/5  rDev -35.5%

Appearance - Crystal clear yellow/gold. White soapy head that's all but gone in seconds. Bubbly, like champagne. Average.

Smell - Mild malt aroma. Nothing distinguishable.

Taste - Almost candy-sweet light malt flavor. No hops to speak of. Seems severly unbalanced. Not good at all.

Mouthfeel - About as watery and stinginly carbonated as you'd expect.

Drinkability - This beer does have an upside - the price is the lowest I've seen for any beer. Unfortunately, the unusual (and poor) flavor makes this almost undrinkable. Drink very cold and very drunk.

1.98/5  rDev -7.5%

Trader Joe's was selling single cans of this stuff for just 47¢ each so I picked one up and brought it home.

The beer poured a crystal clear pale yellow color that made a two finger white dish soap looking head that disappeared in less than 30 seconds. Surprisingly, it did leave a few spots of lace on the glass.

The beer smelled like bubble gum. Lots of sugary sweetness and nothing else.

The taste is just simple sweet grainy maltiness with the slightest himt of hop presence. Not enough hops to balanc it though. It remains an unimpressive sugar water flavored beer.

The mouthfeel is watery thin with medium carbonation. Not much body to this but it goes down easy if you don't mind the sweetness. No alcoholic flavor and no aftertaste. I'd rather spend the extra money and get something worth drinking.

Light blonde with some suspended yeast visable, a big soapy head of white suds that leave minimal lace. Smells of grits, light toasted grain and mild hops. Tastes like corn flakes and wimpy hops. Medium light on the palate. A decent brew for cheap, better than BMC for less than half the price.

2.8/5  rDev +30.8%

a: average clear macro color, half inch of white head that dissapears fast leaving very little lacing
s: corn malts, deffinate aroma of adjuncts although not as strong as other macros
t: dominated by the sweet corn grains, very little hop presence more like a sweet chick beer---better and cheaper than carona
m: light bodied with average carbonation

overall this is a cheap macro, If i had to choose between this, bud or miller. I would choose this, it wasnt that bad and its a hell of a lot cheaper, I think it was $1.89 for a 6er

1.75/5  rDev -18.2%

2.8/5  rDev +30.8%

Pale yellow appearance with lots of bubbly head that quickly disappears leaving little lacing. Smell consists of corn, grain with a hint of booze and sweetness. So far close to being a Macro lager.

Taste is similar to the smell, corn, grain and a hint of malt. Has a corn syrup sweetness and booziness along with the cough syrup hint that Minhas beer usually has. Medium bodied with low carbonation. Aftertaste is linger dry grainy taste.

This is as cheap and basic as a Lager can get. It's okay for the price and drinkable, the sweetness gives it personality over the watery cheap beer. Would only recommend if your broke though.

2.5/5  rDev +16.8%

2.48/5  rDev +15.9%

Hello Minhas, my old friend, I've come to drink with you again,
Because a desire for CANs softly creeping, Left its seeds while I was napping, And the taste that was planted in my mouth
Still remains, within the hangover from the last time.

In restless dreams I drank CANned beers alone, Narrow passageways to the lav, 'neath the glow of my laptop, I turned my head to the cold and damp of the refrigerator door When my eyes were stabbed by the reefer's light That split the night, and touched my headache anew.

And in the naked light I saw, a case or two, maybe more.
CANned beers sitting without speaking, CANned beers waiting without drinking, People like you making beers, that friends should never share. And no one else dared, Disturb the 12-pack of Minhas Mountain Creek Classic Lager.

"Fools" said I, "You do not know, CANs are the way to go. Read my words that I might teach you, Take me to the hospital in case I reach out to you." But my words fell silent as the teardrops began to fall when the sound of the CAN being cracked open echoed throughout the house.

And the people bowed and prayed, For my liver, now long decayed and to all I give this warning, In the words that I have been long in forming. And I say, "Beware Minhas Products, yo! This stuff'll kill ya!" and then there was naught but silence.

Thanks to Simon & Garfunkel for their inspiration on the above. Now, a review:

My pour created just better than a finger of rocky, bone-white head that fell faster than I did, just moments after the last time I had the pleasure of a Minhas product, intentionally NOT referred to as a beer. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the now-familiar grapish-plastic factory one-two punch that CAN only be a by-product of their yeast. Ooof. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was not bad, relatively speaking. Yes, it still had a cotton candy-like sweetness, but it was not as pronounced in this beer. Finish was slightly dry, lingering with that same sweetish flavor noted on the mouth, but still muted, making it less of a choke-out than many of their other products. Cooler? No way am I wasting space. Anybody want some for their own CANQuest (TM)? If not, the remainder is going to a frat party.

From the CAN: " Mountain Creek Classic Lager Beer starts as the purest crystal-clear water and is craft brewed in small batches. Our gold medalist brewmaster ferments only the finest sun-ripened hops & two-row malted barley to create this crisp, clean, classic lager."

1.25/5  rDev -41.6%

Can into tulip pint.
Another mix-a-six treasure from Trader Joe's... Why do we do this to ourselves? Do we EVER expect to truly uncover a hidden gem in the world of canned lagers? Oh well... $0.67 per can makes it worth the trouble to tick it!

So I was gentle with this can as I took it from the fridge, placed it on the counter, grabbed a glass, and got my iPhone ready totyoe up the review... It EXPLODED upon opening as though I had vigorously shaken it up! (not sure why-- it has been in the fridge, unmoved and unmolested for at least 10 days).
I'm scared.

A slanted glass for the pour let lots of foam fall sink-side, but manages to leave three fingers' worth in the glass. Soapy looking shiny white micro-bubbles. They settled quickly atop the lightly hazed yellow body. Looks VERY carbonated.

Smells... Well... Odd. Really mineraly, with some cooked/steed vegetable notes. NOT excited.

Aaaand.... It's a drainpour.
I'll force myself through a few more sips to finish the review, but me no likey!

Little sweet corn sweetness up front with the steamed vegetables at the back end and a very mineral/hard water finish.

Body is light and airy-- almost fluffy.

Overall-- in a word;
Yikes.

This is unpleasant and undrinkable. This offends my lady-like sensibilities.

Mountain Creek Classic Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery