Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 11-29-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +82.4%

I love wheat beer and this is a good one. Quite drinkable with a smooth finish

EricDaFish, Sep 07, 2014

tyleeis, Aug 06, 2012

angelisauce, Sep 22, 2012

jaidenjb, Jun 11, 2012

Bunch of haters! I visited their brewery and sampled a wide variety of their many craft beers. I left with a case of "Lazy Mutt" which is very drinkable. It does finish "a little "chamganey" but I like that.

MARKMALENCHIK, Sep 07, 2014

livingtodie, Mar 20, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +68.7%

Consumed in a: Pilsener pint glass

After buying this beer, which caught my eye (as is the case with most people it seems) with the whole 8-to-a-pack-thing, I immediately looked online to see what others had to say (as I usually do). To my disappointment, it seemed everybody was bashing it. How could it possibly be that good with hardly anyone recommending it? But, after trying it a few times as objectively as possibly, I must say I disagree with the "haters". Yeah, it's not a "true" Farmhouse ale and doesn't taste like one. So? Beer Advocate says not to judge against inherent qualities of beers. What about the flipside? Why should beers be confided so rigidly into categories? Call it false advertising, but don't let it have any effect on your perception of what it actually is. This beer isn't amazing, but it's got a taste I can really dig, with the mix of sweet and sour, with the bold effervecensce washing away any strong aftertaste. Great summer evening brew.

Appearance - Pours well, a slightly hazy golden froth. Decent lacing and head retention. Must be loaded with CO2, as there's an awful lot of bubble action going on here.

Smell - Actually fairly complex. Notes of dirty gym socks, white chocolate, faint toffee, lemon and butter. It's got a pretty unique sour aroma to it...not vinegary sour like a lambic, but, as I said, more of a sweaty funk type sour. Not for everyone.

Taste - More pronounced lemon/citrus flavors, with a slightly metallic taste. Did this sit in the vat too long? Oh well, it's not THAT offensive.
Taste isn't as complex, interesting or good as the aroma, but still very much palatable to me personally.

Mouthfeel - Not so impressive. Pretty "blah" and watery and WAY too much carbonation for most people (I personally like the amount of carbonation, as it slows me down for one thing. This beer is so light and agreeably tasty to me that I'd probably find myself pounding it much quicker than I should be. With this much carbonation, my stomach won't let me. Also, I love the burps that come from interestingly tasty, highly-carbonated beers.) Still, could use some body to it.

Drinkability - Overall, this is something I could get into on a fairly regular basis (during the summer/fall at least). Aside from the gassyness provided by the carbonation, not too filling. Would be a great session beer if it had just a tad less alcohol.

joshdesk, Jun 11, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +64.4%

lazy mutt, from a "6 pack" that has "8 beers in it"--cute, and way cuter than a 6 pack that has 4 beers in it.

a 4 clear pale gold with a big foamy head that takes a respectable time to dwindle to a ring. bits of lace.

s 4 tangy hay, aspirin, and what you could swear smells like a lager from charleston, and possibly a whiff of orange tic tacs. it's really not a bad nose and kind of mysterious. no it's not quite a typical farmhouse smell, but i already knew not to expect that--just reviewing it as "a beer."

t 3.5-4 most of the aroma carries through to the taste, but there's more sweetness than expected. though the sweetness is not at all overwhelming, there isn't much of anything to counter it so it lingers. yet the flavor is actually pretty nice and difficult to pin down. despite the lack of crispness, it has a certain quenching quality to it. must be just enough underlying tartness hiding underneath. reminds me a little bit of a weak "malt liquor," but a very well-mannered one. are malt liquors not allowed on this site? and if not, why not?

m 3.5 a relatively hard pour deprives the beer of most of its co2, so consider going easy. body is pretty light but there are enough residual sugars to bring it about halfway to medium.

d 4-4.5 not sure why there's apparently so much hate for this one. (except that it's brewed by Minhas, but why let should i let that color my perceptions? they contract brew some pretty good beer, and for an incredibly cheap lager their mountain creek or whatever it's called is a great value.) i'm on my 8th of th 8-pack, enjoyed over several weeks, and i've got to say it's really not bad at all if you're looking for an easy going, lowish abv, wet (as opposed to dry) little quencher with an interesting aroma. good gawd, i wonder if i just gave this thing its highest rating ever.

brewmudgeon, Aug 03, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +60.9%

MarkyMOD, Apr 27, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +58.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Purchased as part of a mix six...split the bottle with my sister-in-law:

A=Medium to light golden, with a bit of murkiness and perhaps a slight greenish tint. Head was white and not very dominant.

S=I didn't notice much...perhaps a cut grass smell.

T=Citrus and very crisp...rather sweet and creamy as well. Reminded me a bit of Blue Moon's Belgian White.

M=Moderate carbonation, perhaps a bit slippery, but overall very drinkable.

O=One of Minhas' better offerings...I would definitely drink again, but probably not buy as it is not quite as good as others out there.

dhannes, May 14, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +50.2%

Kempski, Jun 23, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +50.2%

MNmurray, Jan 28, 2013
3.43/5  rDev +47.2%

Given that this is one of the lowest rated craft brews on any beer rating site, I'm a little disappointed at how good it is! I was excited to find a horrible train wreck, something that would make me wretch, but it's actually not bad. Maybe they've cleaned it up? (It's certainly not as yeasty as the one pictured on the site; that had to have come out of someone not knowing how to do a bottling run for this kind of beer).

But firstly, YES, it is clearly not a Saison. I'm just looking at it for what it is, and not trying to peg it into any style category. So...

It exhibited good head retention, holding a solid cap (it was thin in the middle, but it was still solid) throughout most of the glass, and it left some very nice lace behind as well. It's obviously unfiltered, and maybe that's why they've labeled it "farmhouse ale". Nice golden color.

The aroma is lacking, expressing only basic maltiness, yeast, and a bit of apple-like yeasty fruitiness. And I could see how some might find the actual yeast a bit offensive, but I don't. It's a little boring, and some hops would be great, but it's clean so I can't really fault it.

The flavor is basically the same as the aroma, although there's also a bit of grape-like flavor. The malt is basic, and although some have cried "adjunct!", I find a clear note of grainy malt to it. It's mildly bitter, and the slight tartness of the yeast helps to balance it. Again, some hops would be nice but I only get a minor touch of floral and spice, and I think the spice is from actualy spice, and not hops. Who knows? Still, it finishes dry, and not sticky, so who am I to complain?

So what is left? What's so horrible about this beer? Well, nothing really. It's medium-light in body and crisp. And it's drinkable. What they're obviously going for, based on what's written on the label, is "volume" drinkability. It reads "... It means that on Sunday, when you have two things on your mind: where to sit and what to watch, we'll be right there with you". So, OK, a football beer. Is this any worse than chilling with a crisp, cool can of Coor's Light? Certainly not. "Farmhouse Ale" isn't a very good label for this beer, but I can see where they're coming from given the customer they're pitching this to. But really, beyond that, it's not a bad basic beer.

NeroFiddled, Sep 25, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +43.8%

A- poured a foggy golden, with a little bit of a white head on top although it fell quickly. Not a bad body heads kinda sad.

S- I dont really smell much a little coriander maybe, smells pretty light with a grain touch, little disappointing, but not bad.

T- starts off with a very light tart? ness taht isnt bad but pretty weak, that provides the bulk of the flavor. its pretty delicate for flavor. i actually warmed up to it as i drank it, opened up a little bit, but not enough to make it great, but still decent overall. not a bad party drink or introduction to craft beer flavor

M- pretty light body, medium carbonation, almost crisp

D- not bad, turned out ok, but started out dissapointing, maybe i should have warmed it up more before, prolly help more.

Atron67, Feb 15, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

12 oz bottle from the probably gimmicky 8 pack

A - Pours a very clear filtered golden color. Head formation is off-white, quickly formed into about a 1mm setup, and then broke down to a film. Light amount of carbonation is obvious.

S - I'd say the overall very light aroma is a yeast note. In general a disappointing nose.

T - Starts off with a light creamy flavor. Moves to find some bitterness, but is still completely a malt forward beer. No hops whatsoever. Finishes with a sweetness and a grainy hit from an adjunct of some kind. I'm guessing rice.

M - Moderate to thin mouthfeel. Little carbonation bite and no filming on the mouth to speak of.

D - This beer is the definition of drinkability to me. I can drink this thing so easily, it is probably a good thing it comes in 8 packs. ABV is low - weight on the palette is light.

I submit this beer is misclassified. I don't believe this is intended to be a saison, regardless of the label. I'm guessing this is intended to be a macro adjunct or some kind, or probably more accurately a cream ale. My guess is that Minhas saw an opportunity to replicate Spotted Cow outside of the New Glarus territory. Under those terms, I find this beer to be a very serviceable addition to a beer rotation.

katan, Mar 06, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +39.5%

koes0024, Oct 13, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +39.5%

birchstick, Aug 08, 2012
3.23/5  rDev +38.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint.

Pours a medium straw with a brilliant white 1 finger head that recedes quickly leaving no lace. Light cloud, very light but it's there.

Aroma is lightly malted barley and wheat with adjunct grains (corn?). Small citrusy hop aroma

Taste is adjunct with a tiny hop bite finishing with sweet wheat. The wheat gives a band-aid, bubblegum and banana (like a weiss, but not as good) There is a cloying sweetness to the brew that I can't place, like a cheap malt liquor. Resinous esters.

Mouthfeel is crisp, reasonable carbonation. Bubbles are harsh instead of soft, more like a soda.

Drinkability is good. Not offensive, just not great. That sweetness kinda ruins the little bit of a party there is.

Overall, not bad for mowing the lawn, or shoveling the driveway, but it ain't no ABC either. I probably won't look for it again.

wheatyweiss, Feb 20, 2008
3.15/5  rDev +35.2%

If the intent of Minhas Craft Brewery was to make a "macrobrew" to compete with the likes of Coors/Miller/AB on a beer-seller's shelf, this beer certainly does well in that sort of taste arena, as this otherwise uninspiring and easily drinkable brew certainly fits into this sort of genre. If your idea of drinking a good beer is Miller/Bud Lite/MGD/Corona/Rolling Rock/Busch/Coors, etc, then you likely will be happy--or at least unoffended--with the contents of this bottle. Drinkers of otherwise "cheap" beer (Keystone, Milwaukee's Best/"The Beast"/PBR, etc. in a can) will be best advised to drink these bottles first (aka "drink the better-tasting swill first to catch your buzz before drinking the hasher-tasting stuff").

The carbonation is OK, and the flavor is not too hoppy and a bit water'ish. The aroma is mild-to-not-existent.; and I did not "waste time" on pouring these into a glass for full enjoyment, choosing to try them straight from the non-twisting capped bottles. These go down easily, like gatorade does on the sidelines of a football game or like water does in a workout room. If priced well "by the keg," I could see this beer becoming a college-party favorite due to its less-harsh/almost "malternative" taste, which would do well against a harsher Busch, etc.

On the other hand, I was expecting a LOT more and a LOT better from this brewery, having consumed Huber Bock and most of the Berghoff line (which are presently made at the same brewery, which otherwise seems to make a decent "mainsteram microbrew styled" beer in general from other Huber-made brews I've had the opportunity to sample). I was unimpressed with the bottle contents, as the packaging (a "Union Made" _genius_ "8 pack" in a 6/12/24 pack world) of Lazy Mutt looked as if it would be something much better inside of the bottles than it indeed was. C'mon Minhas--I KNOW that you can do _much_ better than this. That said, I'm not going to pour my remaining bottles of this down the drain, but it certainly will not be my first-choice when going to a store and looking to buy beer (unless there are ONLY Miller/AB/Coors' "mainline" beers from which to choose; if the Amber Bock or similar choices are available, then all bets are off in this sort of situation).

But a "Farmhouse Ale?" Only if your definition of "farmhouse" is from behind which you once would sneak beers from "your old man's 'stash'" as a kid. And this one is indeed better tasting than those cans were, but is not nearly as good as I'd _expect_ a beer (esp. one called a "farmhouse ale") from Minhas to be. I hope that this beer is not a sign of future flavors to come from the brewery in Monroe, WI, as they are able to do a LOT better than this (and do some contract-brewing MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than this).

DJSpidey, Feb 28, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +35.2%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. They've been pushing this stuff pretty hard with local commercials lately.

Pour: pale lemon-yellow, lightly cloudy with one finger of medium-thick white foam that fizzles to nothing in a few minutes.

Nose: musty wheat malt, tart lemon, hint of bubblegum

Taste: slightly puckering funky lemon-wheat with a lingering mustiness and sour yogurt finish. Overall very light and fleeting on the palate.

Mouthfeel: thin and effervescent, slightly puckering

Drinkability/Overall: An...interesting experience. This beer is sold in 8-packs for around $7.99 by the brewers of Mountain Creek. Blurb on the label evokes football Sundays. First whiff and taste present more funk than one would expect from a beer targeting this kind of crowd, but the beer's light body and ephemeral palate may not scare away armchair quarterbacks. Will be interesting to see if this stuff catches on. Not a bad beer, but doesn't leave much of an impression. But for a buck a bottle, could be a refreshing summer party beer.

Golden2wenty1, Jan 07, 2008
3.15/5  rDev +35.2%

I'm not a big fan of the saison style. The saisons are usually a little too dry and a little too funky for my tastes. I didn't have very high hopes for this one; but I was taken in by the allure of the cheap 8 pack of non-twist-off brown bottles (which I'll use for bottling my homebrew). I didn't get much head here. There was very little head to start with and veritably no head retention to speak of. The cloudy, pale color was perfect for a saison and, despite the almost non-existent head, there was adequate effervesence. The smell is lacking. It smells something like wet cardboard and a hint of corriander. I didn't care much for the first sip; but, then, the funkiness at the tail end of it captivated me as I continued drinking it. There's some effervescence...but the mouthfeel is a little oily, thin and cheap. Overall though, I would say this is a very drinkable beer. It isn't too fussy...and, for a cheap beer, it has a surprising complexity...just enough to hold my interest.

ntillemans, Mar 15, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +34.3%

Pours a very hazy, light-tan color with a small white head.

Aroma has a weak, but nice musky & sour smell.

Flavor has a sour straw flavor, with a hint of lemon. I wish I had let it warm up more. But my garage is cold! And I only have this single. The reason I wish this is because I would hope some warmth would open up some flavor As it stands, it isn't very complex.

Mouthfeel seemed a bit carbonated, especially for this style.

Drinkability was fine. I'm not sure if some reviewers knew what to expect. However, this beer pales in comparison to Lake Louie's Belgian Prairie Moon Farmhouse. However, I need to find the price of this beer. Isn't Huber/Minhas usually really cheap? If so, this could be a cheap fix for the funk lovers.

terrabyte, Dec 01, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +33%

Reviewed 11-06-09

Served from a bottle to a glass cold

A - pale yellow color, decent carbonation though not 1 finger of foam, what foam was there dispersed rather quickly

S - Sweet fruity smell couldn't catch a lot of hops or malt

T - light/medium bodied, noticeable hop flavor, didn't notice much in the malt category

M/D - This was #3 in the 4 pack sampler. It is a drinkable brew, sweet tasting not too overpowering but wasn't my favorite. Right now I'm leaning towards not purchasing the pack again just for the 2 brews I liked.

FreshmanPour77, Nov 10, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +32.2%

8 pack at the price of a 6 pack? Hell yeah.

Why, oh god why, would they try to market this as a Saison? This is no Saison. This is an Adjunct in the spirits of Grain Belt.

So... as a Saison? F. Total, complete, absolute F.

As an Adjunct? Hey not bad. 8 for 6, I could bring this to BMC drinkers, I could cook with it... another non-BMC to add to my Grain Belt, Pigs Eye, PBR list.

cadenwhitaker, Mar 07, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +30.9%

Pours the color of a wheat field on a summer day, a loose bubbly head that dissipates almost instantly. Smells like a farmhouse ale, sweet, coriander and an upfront sourness. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste like anything. A little sour, a little malty, kind of a syrup sweetness. The carbonation seems alright for the style, just like most of this beer, its alright for style, but it utterly average.

It looks good, tastes fine, and I will likely forget about it in a few hours...

Fatduck, Nov 05, 2008