2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse AleLazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale

awful

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 11-29-2007)
View: Beers (87) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 119 | Reviews: 80 | Show All Ratings:
joshdesk

3.93/5  rDev +70.1%

Consumed in a: Pilsener pint glass

After buying this beer, which caught my eye (as is the case with most people it seems) with the whole 8-to-a-pack-thing, I immediately looked online to see what others had to say (as I usually do). To my disappointment, it seemed everybody was bashing it. How could it possibly be that good with hardly anyone recommending it? But, after trying it a few times as objectively as possibly, I must say I disagree with the "haters". Yeah, it's not a "true" Farmhouse ale and doesn't taste like one. So? Beer Advocate says not to judge against inherent qualities of beers. What about the flipside? Why should beers be confided so rigidly into categories? Call it false advertising, but don't let it have any effect on your perception of what it actually is. This beer isn't amazing, but it's got a taste I can really dig, with the mix of sweet and sour, with the bold effervecensce washing away any strong aftertaste. Great summer evening brew.

Appearance - Pours well, a slightly hazy golden froth. Decent lacing and head retention. Must be loaded with CO2, as there's an awful lot of bubble action going on here.

Smell - Actually fairly complex. Notes of dirty gym socks, white chocolate, faint toffee, lemon and butter. It's got a pretty unique sour aroma to it...not vinegary sour like a lambic, but, as I said, more of a sweaty funk type sour. Not for everyone.

Taste - More pronounced lemon/citrus flavors, with a slightly metallic taste. Did this sit in the vat too long? Oh well, it's not THAT offensive.
Taste isn't as complex, interesting or good as the aroma, but still very much palatable to me personally.

Mouthfeel - Not so impressive. Pretty "blah" and watery and WAY too much carbonation for most people (I personally like the amount of carbonation, as it slows me down for one thing. This beer is so light and agreeably tasty to me that I'd probably find myself pounding it much quicker than I should be. With this much carbonation, my stomach won't let me. Also, I love the burps that come from interestingly tasty, highly-carbonated beers.) Still, could use some body to it.

Drinkability - Overall, this is something I could get into on a fairly regular basis (during the summer/fall at least). Aside from the gassyness provided by the carbonation, not too filling. Would be a great session beer if it had just a tad less alcohol.

06-11-2010 01:04:48 | More by joshdesk
brewmudgeon

3.83/5  rDev +65.8%

lazy mutt, from a "6 pack" that has "8 beers in it"--cute, and way cuter than a 6 pack that has 4 beers in it.

a 4 clear pale gold with a big foamy head that takes a respectable time to dwindle to a ring. bits of lace.

s 4 tangy hay, aspirin, and what you could swear smells like a lager from charleston, and possibly a whiff of orange tic tacs. it's really not a bad nose and kind of mysterious. no it's not quite a typical farmhouse smell, but i already knew not to expect that--just reviewing it as "a beer."

t 3.5-4 most of the aroma carries through to the taste, but there's more sweetness than expected. though the sweetness is not at all overwhelming, there isn't much of anything to counter it so it lingers. yet the flavor is actually pretty nice and difficult to pin down. despite the lack of crispness, it has a certain quenching quality to it. must be just enough underlying tartness hiding underneath. reminds me a little bit of a weak "malt liquor," but a very well-mannered one. are malt liquors not allowed on this site? and if not, why not?

m 3.5 a relatively hard pour deprives the beer of most of its co2, so consider going easy. body is pretty light but there are enough residual sugars to bring it about halfway to medium.

d 4-4.5 not sure why there's apparently so much hate for this one. (except that it's brewed by Minhas, but why let should i let that color my perceptions? they contract brew some pretty good beer, and for an incredibly cheap lager their mountain creek or whatever it's called is a great value.) i'm on my 8th of th 8-pack, enjoyed over several weeks, and i've got to say it's really not bad at all if you're looking for an easy going, lowish abv, wet (as opposed to dry) little quencher with an interesting aroma. good gawd, i wonder if i just gave this thing its highest rating ever.

08-03-2010 03:31:43 | More by brewmudgeon
dhannes

3.7/5  rDev +60.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Purchased as part of a mix six...split the bottle with my sister-in-law:

A=Medium to light golden, with a bit of murkiness and perhaps a slight greenish tint. Head was white and not very dominant.

S=I didn't notice much...perhaps a cut grass smell.

T=Citrus and very crisp...rather sweet and creamy as well. Reminded me a bit of Blue Moon's Belgian White.

M=Moderate carbonation, perhaps a bit slippery, but overall very drinkable.

O=One of Minhas' better offerings...I would definitely drink again, but probably not buy as it is not quite as good as others out there.

05-14-2013 14:17:50 | More by dhannes
NeroFiddled

3.43/5  rDev +48.5%

Given that this is one of the lowest rated craft brews on any beer rating site, I'm a little disappointed at how good it is! I was excited to find a horrible train wreck, something that would make me wretch, but it's actually not bad. Maybe they've cleaned it up? (It's certainly not as yeasty as the one pictured on the site; that had to have come out of someone not knowing how to do a bottling run for this kind of beer).

But firstly, YES, it is clearly not a Saison. I'm just looking at it for what it is, and not trying to peg it into any style category. So...

It exhibited good head retention, holding a solid cap (it was thin in the middle, but it was still solid) throughout most of the glass, and it left some very nice lace behind as well. It's obviously unfiltered, and maybe that's why they've labeled it "farmhouse ale". Nice golden color.

The aroma is lacking, expressing only basic maltiness, yeast, and a bit of apple-like yeasty fruitiness. And I could see how some might find the actual yeast a bit offensive, but I don't. It's a little boring, and some hops would be great, but it's clean so I can't really fault it.

The flavor is basically the same as the aroma, although there's also a bit of grape-like flavor. The malt is basic, and although some have cried "adjunct!", I find a clear note of grainy malt to it. It's mildly bitter, and the slight tartness of the yeast helps to balance it. Again, some hops would be nice but I only get a minor touch of floral and spice, and I think the spice is from actualy spice, and not hops. Who knows? Still, it finishes dry, and not sticky, so who am I to complain?

So what is left? What's so horrible about this beer? Well, nothing really. It's medium-light in body and crisp. And it's drinkable. What they're obviously going for, based on what's written on the label, is "volume" drinkability. It reads "... It means that on Sunday, when you have two things on your mind: where to sit and what to watch, we'll be right there with you". So, OK, a football beer. Is this any worse than chilling with a crisp, cool can of Coor's Light? Certainly not. "Farmhouse Ale" isn't a very good label for this beer, but I can see where they're coming from given the customer they're pitching this to. But really, beyond that, it's not a bad basic beer.

09-25-2009 19:23:44 | More by NeroFiddled
Atron67

3.35/5  rDev +45%

A- poured a foggy golden, with a little bit of a white head on top although it fell quickly. Not a bad body heads kinda sad.

S- I dont really smell much a little coriander maybe, smells pretty light with a grain touch, little disappointing, but not bad.

T- starts off with a very light tart? ness taht isnt bad but pretty weak, that provides the bulk of the flavor. its pretty delicate for flavor. i actually warmed up to it as i drank it, opened up a little bit, but not enough to make it great, but still decent overall. not a bad party drink or introduction to craft beer flavor

M- pretty light body, medium carbonation, almost crisp

D- not bad, turned out ok, but started out dissapointing, maybe i should have warmed it up more before, prolly help more.

02-15-2008 23:22:59 | More by Atron67
katan

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev +44.2%

12 oz bottle from the probably gimmicky 8 pack

A - Pours a very clear filtered golden color. Head formation is off-white, quickly formed into about a 1mm setup, and then broke down to a film. Light amount of carbonation is obvious.

S - I'd say the overall very light aroma is a yeast note. In general a disappointing nose.

T - Starts off with a light creamy flavor. Moves to find some bitterness, but is still completely a malt forward beer. No hops whatsoever. Finishes with a sweetness and a grainy hit from an adjunct of some kind. I'm guessing rice.

M - Moderate to thin mouthfeel. Little carbonation bite and no filming on the mouth to speak of.

D - This beer is the definition of drinkability to me. I can drink this thing so easily, it is probably a good thing it comes in 8 packs. ABV is low - weight on the palette is light.

I submit this beer is misclassified. I don't believe this is intended to be a saison, regardless of the label. I'm guessing this is intended to be a macro adjunct or some kind, or probably more accurately a cream ale. My guess is that Minhas saw an opportunity to replicate Spotted Cow outside of the New Glarus territory. Under those terms, I find this beer to be a very serviceable addition to a beer rotation.

03-06-2009 06:05:40 | More by katan
wheatyweiss

3.23/5  rDev +39.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint.

Pours a medium straw with a brilliant white 1 finger head that recedes quickly leaving no lace. Light cloud, very light but it's there.

Aroma is lightly malted barley and wheat with adjunct grains (corn?). Small citrusy hop aroma

Taste is adjunct with a tiny hop bite finishing with sweet wheat. The wheat gives a band-aid, bubblegum and banana (like a weiss, but not as good) There is a cloying sweetness to the brew that I can't place, like a cheap malt liquor. Resinous esters.

Mouthfeel is crisp, reasonable carbonation. Bubbles are harsh instead of soft, more like a soda.

Drinkability is good. Not offensive, just not great. That sweetness kinda ruins the little bit of a party there is.

Overall, not bad for mowing the lawn, or shoveling the driveway, but it ain't no ABC either. I probably won't look for it again.

02-20-2008 23:05:03 | More by wheatyweiss
Golden2wenty1

3.15/5  rDev +36.4%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. They've been pushing this stuff pretty hard with local commercials lately.

Pour: pale lemon-yellow, lightly cloudy with one finger of medium-thick white foam that fizzles to nothing in a few minutes.

Nose: musty wheat malt, tart lemon, hint of bubblegum

Taste: slightly puckering funky lemon-wheat with a lingering mustiness and sour yogurt finish. Overall very light and fleeting on the palate.

Mouthfeel: thin and effervescent, slightly puckering

Drinkability/Overall: An...interesting experience. This beer is sold in 8-packs for around $7.99 by the brewers of Mountain Creek. Blurb on the label evokes football Sundays. First whiff and taste present more funk than one would expect from a beer targeting this kind of crowd, but the beer's light body and ephemeral palate may not scare away armchair quarterbacks. Will be interesting to see if this stuff catches on. Not a bad beer, but doesn't leave much of an impression. But for a buck a bottle, could be a refreshing summer party beer.

01-07-2008 22:34:51 | More by Golden2wenty1
ntillemans

3.15/5  rDev +36.4%

I'm not a big fan of the saison style. The saisons are usually a little too dry and a little too funky for my tastes. I didn't have very high hopes for this one; but I was taken in by the allure of the cheap 8 pack of non-twist-off brown bottles (which I'll use for bottling my homebrew). I didn't get much head here. There was very little head to start with and veritably no head retention to speak of. The cloudy, pale color was perfect for a saison and, despite the almost non-existent head, there was adequate effervesence. The smell is lacking. It smells something like wet cardboard and a hint of corriander. I didn't care much for the first sip; but, then, the funkiness at the tail end of it captivated me as I continued drinking it. There's some effervescence...but the mouthfeel is a little oily, thin and cheap. Overall though, I would say this is a very drinkable beer. It isn't too fussy...and, for a cheap beer, it has a surprising complexity...just enough to hold my interest.

03-15-2008 05:02:32 | More by ntillemans
DJSpidey

3.15/5  rDev +36.4%

If the intent of Minhas Craft Brewery was to make a "macrobrew" to compete with the likes of Coors/Miller/AB on a beer-seller's shelf, this beer certainly does well in that sort of taste arena, as this otherwise uninspiring and easily drinkable brew certainly fits into this sort of genre. If your idea of drinking a good beer is Miller/Bud Lite/MGD/Corona/Rolling Rock/Busch/Coors, etc, then you likely will be happy--or at least unoffended--with the contents of this bottle. Drinkers of otherwise "cheap" beer (Keystone, Milwaukee's Best/"The Beast"/PBR, etc. in a can) will be best advised to drink these bottles first (aka "drink the better-tasting swill first to catch your buzz before drinking the hasher-tasting stuff").

The carbonation is OK, and the flavor is not too hoppy and a bit water'ish. The aroma is mild-to-not-existent.; and I did not "waste time" on pouring these into a glass for full enjoyment, choosing to try them straight from the non-twisting capped bottles. These go down easily, like gatorade does on the sidelines of a football game or like water does in a workout room. If priced well "by the keg," I could see this beer becoming a college-party favorite due to its less-harsh/almost "malternative" taste, which would do well against a harsher Busch, etc.

On the other hand, I was expecting a LOT more and a LOT better from this brewery, having consumed Huber Bock and most of the Berghoff line (which are presently made at the same brewery, which otherwise seems to make a decent "mainsteram microbrew styled" beer in general from other Huber-made brews I've had the opportunity to sample). I was unimpressed with the bottle contents, as the packaging (a "Union Made" _genius_ "8 pack" in a 6/12/24 pack world) of Lazy Mutt looked as if it would be something much better inside of the bottles than it indeed was. C'mon Minhas--I KNOW that you can do _much_ better than this. That said, I'm not going to pour my remaining bottles of this down the drain, but it certainly will not be my first-choice when going to a store and looking to buy beer (unless there are ONLY Miller/AB/Coors' "mainline" beers from which to choose; if the Amber Bock or similar choices are available, then all bets are off in this sort of situation).

But a "Farmhouse Ale?" Only if your definition of "farmhouse" is from behind which you once would sneak beers from "your old man's 'stash'" as a kid. And this one is indeed better tasting than those cans were, but is not nearly as good as I'd _expect_ a beer (esp. one called a "farmhouse ale") from Minhas to be. I hope that this beer is not a sign of future flavors to come from the brewery in Monroe, WI, as they are able to do a LOT better than this (and do some contract-brewing MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than this).

02-28-2009 20:30:49 | More by DJSpidey
terrabyte

3.13/5  rDev +35.5%

Pours a very hazy, light-tan color with a small white head.

Aroma has a weak, but nice musky & sour smell.

Flavor has a sour straw flavor, with a hint of lemon. I wish I had let it warm up more. But my garage is cold! And I only have this single. The reason I wish this is because I would hope some warmth would open up some flavor As it stands, it isn't very complex.

Mouthfeel seemed a bit carbonated, especially for this style.

Drinkability was fine. I'm not sure if some reviewers knew what to expect. However, this beer pales in comparison to Lake Louie's Belgian Prairie Moon Farmhouse. However, I need to find the price of this beer. Isn't Huber/Minhas usually really cheap? If so, this could be a cheap fix for the funk lovers.

12-01-2007 04:39:54 | More by terrabyte
FreshmanPour77

3.1/5  rDev +34.2%

Reviewed 11-06-09

Served from a bottle to a glass cold

A - pale yellow color, decent carbonation though not 1 finger of foam, what foam was there dispersed rather quickly

S - Sweet fruity smell couldn't catch a lot of hops or malt

T - light/medium bodied, noticeable hop flavor, didn't notice much in the malt category

M/D - This was #3 in the 4 pack sampler. It is a drinkable brew, sweet tasting not too overpowering but wasn't my favorite. Right now I'm leaning towards not purchasing the pack again just for the 2 brews I liked.

11-10-2009 18:46:31 | More by FreshmanPour77
cadenwhitaker

3.08/5  rDev +33.3%

8 pack at the price of a 6 pack? Hell yeah.

Why, oh god why, would they try to market this as a Saison? This is no Saison. This is an Adjunct in the spirits of Grain Belt.

So... as a Saison? F. Total, complete, absolute F.

As an Adjunct? Hey not bad. 8 for 6, I could bring this to BMC drinkers, I could cook with it... another non-BMC to add to my Grain Belt, Pigs Eye, PBR list.

03-07-2009 20:33:04 | More by cadenwhitaker
Fatduck

3.05/5  rDev +32%

Pours the color of a wheat field on a summer day, a loose bubbly head that dissipates almost instantly. Smells like a farmhouse ale, sweet, coriander and an upfront sourness. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste like anything. A little sour, a little malty, kind of a syrup sweetness. The carbonation seems alright for the style, just like most of this beer, its alright for style, but it utterly average.

It looks good, tastes fine, and I will likely forget about it in a few hours...

11-05-2008 02:53:25 | More by Fatduck
dogger6253

2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

Lots of carbonation, no head or lacing. The color is a hazy yellow. The smells coming from this beer are no different than your traditional macro brew, disappointing to say the least. There is a light berry taste going on up front along with a corn-like sweetness. The flavor escapes almost immediately with each swallow. The flavor is fairly watered down. I would drink this again, but I wouldn't want to pay money for it.

07-08-2009 06:21:22 | More by dogger6253
Slynger

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%

Light pale hay color with a mid sized white head that quickly dies.

Light sour kraut smell with some pale malts. Thats about it.

Light bodied and watery, but it does have nice feeling carbonation. Lightly sweet pale malts along with lightly funky sour kraut, and a touch of grainy bitterness.

Very light not great attempt at a saison.

03-22-2008 04:55:41 | More by Slynger
Brenden

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%

I don't know where this came from, since I don't think Minhas even distributes to the state much less Toledo; here it is regardless, so why not?

It looks unfiltered, with a deep haze set into a pale yellow brew. Busy carbonation keeps up a head that struggles and would be lost without it, and spotting is left somewhat weakly but amply enough here and there.
This beer is a bit weak, lacking depth as though the interpretation of a light style is to make it weaker. There's not much to it besides a lame base of pale malts, some dusty earth and a bit of lemon. I can't say the sweetness isn't interesting. Unfortunately, there's nothing either Belgian or Farmhouse about this beer.
Interestingly, for such a weak beer and lacking character, the feel almost reaches what it ought to be. Crispness is a little too hard as the carbonation required to keep anything going bites too hard, but there's a smoothness under it that makes it flow well besides that.

10-09-2012 17:01:14 | More by Brenden
CHSLBrew

2.68/5  rDev +16%

330 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Pale white head, light and fluffy, 2 cm off the pour, but recedes quickly to a smattering of bubbles. Beer is a golden color, pristine.

S-Slight fruity nuance over a bready-sweet malt. Slightly ripe and sour fruity character.

T-Bready-sweet malts, slight fruitiness. Finishes dull and damp. No bitterness or balancing character.

M-Medium-light body, a bit flabby. Medium carbonation, neither good nor bad.

D-Drinkable due to its relatively bland flavor profile, but it's not a great beer, which certainly detracts from its drinkability.

10-14-2009 17:03:53 | More by CHSLBrew
Shadman

Alberta (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

since this is the only Farmhouse Ale I've sampled I'm going off of the style description here and not comparing it to other styles.

Bottle cap states 'Man's best Friend'. Let's hope so. Also of note they use Canadian 2 Row Malt Barley...I know a thing or two about that...good start.

hazy straw color. Very light, fizzy head that didn't hold it's ground @ all.

Aroma is quite yeasty and sweet. Certainly very little fruitiness if any.

Same yeastiness shows up in the taste with a mild tartness. More like a bad domestic wheat beer. Finishes dry as it should.

Bit fizzy intially, but settles into a decent, smooth feel. Almost wants to be velvety, but the dryness prevents that.

Overall, it's drinkable, but I'd like to try another brewer's attempt @ this before I give this dog another bone

02-10-2008 22:40:33 | More by Shadman
Jason

2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

11.16oz brown bottle ... why not the standard 12oz bottle? No freshness date.

Hazed straw yellow color, hazed due to the yeast in the bottle. Decent lacing with credit due to the very active carbonation. Aromas of white chocolate, lemon zest and a cracker graininess. Very crisp, deep enough which adds a refreshing character upfront. Vague lemon oil, wild flower and clean graininess are the stronger characteristics. Hops are modest with a small bitterness. A little spicy middle to end with more lemon zest flavor. Semi-dry finish with a nearly clean after taste.

Not sure what to make of this one, very non-conventional for the style. Simply tastes like a spicy crisp summer seasonal blonde ale with lemon flavor. Did they really mean to put "Farmhouse Ale" on the label.

05-17-2009 02:16:44 | More by Jason
Lemke10

2.63/5  rDev +13.9%

I took a tour of the Minhas Craft brewery in Monroe, WI in late Summer 2010. As a parting gift for taking the tour they gave away free bottles of beer and lazy mutt was one of them.

Before taking the tour I had heard a lot of hype about this beer. I wished the taste lived up to the hype. Lazy Mutt has a very simple taste. It pours a pale golden color and has a very light taste but with a surprisingly strong citrus hints. Still has a better taste than a cheap 30-pack but at the price this retails for, I would be willing to stick with the 30pk. Something new to try but probably not a regular purchase.

09-21-2010 03:26:23 | More by Lemke10
TMoney2591

2.63/5  rDev +13.9%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Finally finishing the Minhas mixed pack I picked up a while ago. This dog pours a lightly hazy straw topped by a low finger of white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, orange rind, light caramel, funky wheat, and light black pepper. The taste brings in more of the same, though now there is more rind (both lemon and orange), a new pinch of nutmeg, and the wheat is funkier in a bad way (like bad wheat getting worse). The body lies on the border between heavy light and light medium, with a moderate carbonation and an almost watery feel. Overall, a pretty sad saison. I'm kinda glad this variety pack is finished, but this was a bad way to end things.

04-06-2011 01:48:49 | More by TMoney2591
peabody

Kentucky

2.6/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

pours out really budweiser clear with just a tad of white suds.
Smell is slightly spicey with a very little hint of yeast. Not much going on here.
Taste is a little sweet with a clove-like cinnamony flavor. Very little else happening.
Mouthfeel is very clean, almost too clean. Not a lot to feel really.
Drinkability is great if the taste had been a bit better.
Too watery for my tastes.

12-21-2008 17:51:56 | More by peabody
drpimento

2.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Hmmm... not that great. Got this a while back. Poured with some head and no lace. Most of the head dissipated soon thereafter. Aroma was a little sour, yet fruity, and yeasty. Color is a hazy orangey amber. Flavor is odd: Sweet and fruity in the background with sour on the tongue and some bitterness in there, mainly from the yeastoids. Body is a little oily. Finish is an extension of those flavors. Label says "Union Made" - if I were them, I'd ask to take that off.

05-27-2009 01:36:36 | More by drpimento
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev +11.7%

12 oz bottle.

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, with a very thin film of uh, foamy, I suppose, off white head, which leaves a low skinny ring of lace around the glass in its 'wake'. It smells of faint sweet wheat grain, some mild florals, and weedy hops. The taste is generic fruity pale malt, a twinge of wheat spice, and an edgy, but not strong, fruity funk, inoffensive at just the wrong time to be. The carbonation is fairly sedate, the body medium light in weight, a bit thin, but not unsmooth. It finishes offdry, the somewhat dead flower fruitiness persisting.

Not too shabby, considering the source. No obvious flaws, the saison qualities just on the heavily underwhelming side.

10-22-2011 22:13:10 | More by biboergosum