Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 11-29-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 129 | Reviews: 82

1.03/5  rDev -56%

After seeing this brew on a daily basis, I decided to give it a shot. I purchased one bottle from the mix-and-match 6-pack section at Apollo West.

Upon pouring it into a glass, it looked like a cloudy pilsner. Smelled ridiculously sweet, almost like a cheap malt liquor.

After taking a sip, I was not impressed. I decided to let it warm up a bit, which did not help in the slightest. The sweetness to it is simply too overwhelming to warrant another taste. I cut my losses and tossed the remainder and thanked myself for not buying more.

1.18/5  rDev -49.6%

Appearance: Pale golden yellow with a very light haze. The head is well not to be seen after forming for a few seconds.

Aroma: Grainy, buttery, corn husk, light breadiness, lemon zest in the tail end.

Taste: Faint pear, buttery, very grainy, corn, brediness not too much in the citrus end and a slight bit of sweetness from the malts. The mouthfeel is very smooth but on the watery side.

Notes: Not very tasty quite a ways away from being a saison. Cheers.

1.23/5  rDev -47.4%

Appearance: Hazy light golden. Very little head. Virtually no lace. No carbonation seen in the body of the beer.

Aroma: Sweet, syrupy, grainy, worty, corny. Not much like a saison to be sure.

Taste/MF: Oh this is not good. This is just a sweet syrupy mess. Grainy. Adjuncts are very apparant. Hardly any carbonation. Go back to my comments in the aroma section: Sweet, syrupy, grainy, worty, corny.

DK: The whole experience was bad here. This makes me wonder...why is this brewery attempting a saison?

1.25/5  rDev -46.6%

1.3/5  rDev -44.4%

Jeez, I don't know what to say. I feel like a was a volunteer in a cruel medical experiment. I picked it up because it had a great gimmick, an eight pack for a six pack price. Sounded good at the time but now I have to dump out seven beers instead of five.

Poured into a pint, really cloudy, like unfiltered apple juice.
I thought at first that it was tainted or rotten, but after reading the other reviews it appears that it's just really terrible. Not much more to say about it, avoid at all cost.

1.38/5  rDev -41%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: golden yellow big white head went away quick, no lace.

Smell: very sour almost like sour milk not good.

Tast: has a light sour tast not as strong as the smell but still not good, seems to be a slight fake fruit after tast strang.

Mouthfeel: watery/no carbonation

Drinkability: Sour not something i want to drink I have 7 more and it is going down the drain, will not buy again.

on a side note i don't mind the bergoff beer that this company makes,but this is a bad saison.

1.39/5  rDev -40.6%

Tried this from a friend's 8-pack for four dollars in Atlanta.

Wow, it's hard to really get a good feel for this beer as you just want to drink it as fast as possible - and not in a good way.

It's a cloudy champagne color, and the head disappears soon after it's poured. It smells a little fruity, but a lot like hot wings.

The taste is a little sour at first, but goes straight downhill from there. I really don't know how to explain the taste, other than just plain terrible. The aftertaste sticks around for thirty minutes and is not pleasant. There's hardly any feel to be had.

All in all this is the worst beer I can remember ever drinking. The worst part is the aftertaste that sticks with you. I see no reason why anyone would pay to drink this beer.

1.41/5  rDev -39.7%

I can't even break this one out with the normal A S T M D. It's usless to try.

This shit was piss yellow, no head, sour--almost like putrifed fruit tasting. They call this shit a "farmhouse" ale. Tastes more like a shithouse ale. It's like maybe spoiled apple juice.? Yucko. I can't believe the brewmasters let this stuff go to packaging, and sale.

Wow. I have an 8 pack of these, 7 are left. Anyone want them? Could not get past the 2nd sip, 1st time I actually poured a beer down the drain. Tossing the remaining 7 in the trash.

Dammit, this is horrible. I am seriously wondering if these aren't spoiled. By far and away the WORST beer I have ever tried. i would be sentenced to a liefetime of Mich Ultra, than to try this shit again.

Very poor effort, Minhas. Shame.

1.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Appearance - Hazy but fizzy. Dull gold. Short fizzy white head. Head doesn't last long.

Smell - Yeast predominates. Sweet almost corny malt.

Taste - Quite sweet. A little bit citrus fruity - but watered down tasting. Cloying aftertaste. Not much discernible hoppiness.

Mouthfeel - Light and tingly.

Drinkability - Not an impressive beer. Unfortunately they come 8 to the 6 pack, so I've got 7 more to drink. And the commercial is pretty lame. He's about to "spot" his territory. Nice and subtle.

1.52/5  rDev -35%

Should be called Biting Dog.

A= weak pale urine-yellowish. The last few ounces dumped from the bottle had at least an inch of beige-white sludge and looked like sewerage overflow. (check the photo I added, that's only PART of the sludge!).

S= stale malt.

T= modestly acceptable, a bit sour-grape, not much redeeming quality, some carbonation but not even enough to qualify this on the level of a gassy macro-beer. Not much to woof about.

M= a bit flat, some sour aftertaste lingering.

D= even a Lazy Mutt would find the energy to piss on this, wisely so. Good money spent on a crappy 6-pack with 2 free = 8-pack is still no savings.

1.53/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Lemony gold that was crystal clear until one too many ounces snuck into the glass. A dark, murky cloud is now slowly oozing downward and is fouling the perfect clarity of the beer. The bright white head looks incredibly cheap, has the texture of your average BMC light lager (worse actually), is a thin film inside of two minutes and leaves no lace. *This* is a saison?

Smells like cider. Not sweet apple cider, but the cider/perry that used to be reviewed on this site. LMFA is sour apple-like and smells nothing like beer, much less like a farmhouse ale. This will not end well.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale tastes like a mixture of Bud Light, Woodchuck Cider, lemon juice and several packets of sugar. This is, by a few thousand miles, the worst saison that I've ever had and is one of the most pathetic beers of any style in recent memory.

If you desire even more specific specifics, the flavor profile includes stale grain soaked in dirty rain water, green apples, lemon juice and a shot of Karo syrup thinned with mineral water. How could this stuff have gotten by the taste testers? Gack. The bottle cap and the label read 'Man's Best Friend'. More like 'A BA's Worst Enemy'.

As if it matters, the vital statistics include: pale malt, caramel malt, Vienna malt, wheat malt, flaked barley, Galena hops, Tettnang hops, 4.82% ABV and 7 IBUs. It sure as hell doesn't taste like those ingredients came anywhere near this bottle.

The mouthfeel is exceptionally light, fades to frankly watery on the brief finish and has a decent amount of fine-gauged carbonation that does nothing to give volume to the beer. This Mutt just lays on the tongue, whimpers once and then slinks away with its tail between its legs.

Lazy Mutt Harmhouse Fail is 'the flagship brand of Minhas Craft Brewery'. Well boys, it looks like your ship is sinking. By the way, don't expect anyone with a single functioning taste bud to help bail. Horrendous is an understatement.

1.55/5  rDev -33.8%

Wow, So I had this beer and thought "union made" I have to try this. I'm a union guy. This beer is awful, it is, i'm sorry. funny thing is, i had some non beer geek friends over and while they didn't necessarily like it they also didn't dislike it. I was floored, my dog wouldn't drink this stuff. literally, he drinks all kinds of beer. I know this. Pass on this one.

1.56/5  rDev -33.3%

I really can't stand this beer. I bought it, and hated it. Then, when I was out of beer, a friend came for a BBQ with another "8 pack" so I got stuck drinking a couple more before I trudged to the store for something I could drink. OK, where to start? It smells like antifreeze, and I have never tasted antifreeze, but I'm sure this is close. Bitter with a distinct bile flavor. Sharp and pungent with a rotting lemon or sour orange aftertaste. Very grainy mouthfeel and a syrupy, clinging wash down the throat that is nearly nauseating. Very bad beer. I'd say this is the closest to undrinkable I've ever had. Salty. Caustic. Horrible. Avoid at all costs. And to think this is coming out of what used to be the venerable Joseph Huber Brewing Company. What a crime. A true insult to the beer drinking community.

1.58/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured into a very nice Duvel glass

Appearance: Cloudy light golden look. Seemed to look like it could be a decent beer.

Smell: Light notes of citrus with little other notes that I can't even name because they are so absent, your not able to put a name to them

Taste: Drinkable. I was able to drink it down, but probably will not buy again. Not a pleasant taste, but atleast not a god awful taste. There is still another beer I have had that is still the #1 beer of the worst.

Mouthfeel: Cloudy and a nuisance. Its light and you just chug it down to get rid of it.

Overall: If your looking to try just about every beer out there then try it so you can use it as an example of beers not to drink. If your just looking for a good beer to have after work and/or after other events/things then stay away.

1.59/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My girlfriend was nice enough to bring home some beer with her on Friday, and I have to say I was excited when I saw it was a beer I'd never tried. She's getting into saisons, so she was pleased to see a "farmhouse ale" at the local corner store.

We popped a couple open, poured them into pint glasses, and realized we were in for some trouble.

This beer may be many things, but it is not a farmhouse ale. It smells like a bad Euro lager and tastes like malt liquor mixed with a little lemon juice. The aftertaste is awful, with a slick chemical profile. The last 5 ounces or so went down the drain.

I wasn't at all shocked when I logged on to BA to find it had a D+ rating.

I'd take an ice cold Bud over this any day of the week. An absolute wreck of a beer, and I can see those other 6 bottles sitting in my fridge for a long, long, time.

1.59/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this from a package store in GA for $3.99 for an 8-pack, I should have known then that price almost always reflects quality.

This beer appears to be a wheat beer/ farmhouse ale, but the similarities stop there. Head dissipates within 10-20 seconds. Very slight cloudiness to it with a darker straw color.

Smell is pretty bad, sprite with metallic notes in there, akin to a warm macro.

Taste is sweet and fizzy with a little funk at the end. The worst part is the after taste which lingers on, swill.

Mouthfeel is pretty much nothing, thin and light.

Drinkability is waaaay down there, the after taste is a killer.

I'll take a bud over this, maybe give it to your worst enemy? definitely avoid it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale from Minhas Craft Brewery