Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 11-29-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
1.76/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a straw yellow color. Watery white head, with no lace or retention.

Smells somewhat sour, with a tad lemony/malty background.

Tastes like a sour wheat ale basically. Except the sourness isn't a zesty lemon sour, it's more of a rotten gym socks sour. The end has a mustiness to it that is off putting.

Light bodied and a poor example of, not only a farmhouse ale, but all beer in general. Without a doubt, the worst beer I have ever drank. If you see this in an aisle, grab every single 8-pack and shatter them against the opposite wall. You'll thank me for it in the end.

1.41/5  rDev -39.7%

I can't even break this one out with the normal A S T M D. It's usless to try.

This shit was piss yellow, no head, sour--almost like putrifed fruit tasting. They call this shit a "farmhouse" ale. Tastes more like a shithouse ale. It's like maybe spoiled apple juice.? Yucko. I can't believe the brewmasters let this stuff go to packaging, and sale.

Wow. I have an 8 pack of these, 7 are left. Anyone want them? Could not get past the 2nd sip, 1st time I actually poured a beer down the drain. Tossing the remaining 7 in the trash.

Dammit, this is horrible. I am seriously wondering if these aren't spoiled. By far and away the WORST beer I have ever tried. i would be sentenced to a liefetime of Mich Ultra, than to try this shit again.

Very poor effort, Minhas. Shame.

3.06/5  rDev +30.8%

Pours the color of a wheat field on a summer day, a loose bubbly head that dissipates almost instantly. Smells like a farmhouse ale, sweet, coriander and an upfront sourness. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste like anything. A little sour, a little malty, kind of a syrup sweetness. The carbonation seems alright for the style, just like most of this beer, its alright for style, but it utterly average.

It looks good, tastes fine, and I will likely forget about it in a few hours...

2.32/5  rDev -0.9%

12 ounce bottle into Pint glass.

A: Cloudy straw-blonde with a decent head that almost instantly disappears. Lots of bubble bubble going on here.

S: Smells like lemon grass and sour grapes.

T: First couple of sips I though I might have to pour this sour brew out. You get a sour-someone-squirted-lemon-concentrate-on-my-Wheaties-that-were-stored-in-a-dank-basement kinda flavor. Then there is this bitter Elmer's-glue-canned-mushroom ending that isn't so great. I was hoping for more here, but this beer isn't absolutely terrible. I'd pick it over any of the macro light brews.

M: Very carbonated, but it seems to fit with the flavor.

D: I'm glad I just bought a single although I'd rather be stuck with a sixer of this instead of the bunk ass sixers of Razz wheat and Blueberry lager I recently bought for my girlfriend to sample.

1.38/5  rDev -41%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: golden yellow big white head went away quick, no lace.

Smell: very sour almost like sour milk not good.

Tast: has a light sour tast not as strong as the smell but still not good, seems to be a slight fake fruit after tast strang.

Mouthfeel: watery/no carbonation

Drinkability: Sour not something i want to drink I have 7 more and it is going down the drain, will not buy again.

on a side note i don't mind the bergoff beer that this company makes,but this is a bad saison.

2.3/5  rDev -1.7%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a medium foamy head on a very cloudy, light tan body. Smells very nice, with strong citrus/lemon/fruitiness, and a good dose of floral. Too bad the taste doesn't follow. Very strange, almost like sour fruit. A wheat ale that has somehow gone bad. Another review mentioned sour kraut...I'd go along with that. Really hard to peg down what the deal is. At the very least I can say, whatever it is, it's not good.

1.39/5  rDev -40.6%

Tried this from a friend's 8-pack for four dollars in Atlanta.

Wow, it's hard to really get a good feel for this beer as you just want to drink it as fast as possible - and not in a good way.

It's a cloudy champagne color, and the head disappears soon after it's poured. It smells a little fruity, but a lot like hot wings.

The taste is a little sour at first, but goes straight downhill from there. I really don't know how to explain the taste, other than just plain terrible. The aftertaste sticks around for thirty minutes and is not pleasant. There's hardly any feel to be had.

All in all this is the worst beer I can remember ever drinking. The worst part is the aftertaste that sticks with you. I see no reason why anyone would pay to drink this beer.

1.59/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this from a package store in GA for $3.99 for an 8-pack, I should have known then that price almost always reflects quality.

This beer appears to be a wheat beer/ farmhouse ale, but the similarities stop there. Head dissipates within 10-20 seconds. Very slight cloudiness to it with a darker straw color.

Smell is pretty bad, sprite with metallic notes in there, akin to a warm macro.

Taste is sweet and fizzy with a little funk at the end. The worst part is the after taste which lingers on, swill.

Mouthfeel is pretty much nothing, thin and light.

Drinkability is waaaay down there, the after taste is a killer.

I'll take a bud over this, maybe give it to your worst enemy? definitely avoid it.

1.52/5  rDev -35%

Should be called Biting Dog.

A= weak pale urine-yellowish. The last few ounces dumped from the bottle had at least an inch of beige-white sludge and looked like sewerage overflow. (check the photo I added, that's only PART of the sludge!).

S= stale malt.

T= modestly acceptable, a bit sour-grape, not much redeeming quality, some carbonation but not even enough to qualify this on the level of a gassy macro-beer. Not much to woof about.

M= a bit flat, some sour aftertaste lingering.

D= even a Lazy Mutt would find the energy to piss on this, wisely so. Good money spent on a crappy 6-pack with 2 free = 8-pack is still no savings.

2.3/5  rDev -1.7%

This was given to me by a family member, so I can't complain that I wasted my money. Gimmicky dog label, gimmicky 8-pack. We overheard others at 2 separate beer stores..."Well 8 beers in a 6-pack, that's just the darndest thing." Guess the gimmick works.

Fizzy, deep yellow color, no head, just a soda-like crackle that rapidly fades. Apple juice aroma, like a kid's juice box. Mealy and astringent medicinal apple flavor that's out of place, dull grain somewhere in the middle with no distinctive character. Thin watery feel following some carbonic bite. I drank one, and that will be all for the rest of my days.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale: L.M.F.A...O? LMFAO!

1.91/5  rDev -18.4%

Grabbed a 8-pack and should of known better. Very pale color with a small white head that goes away quickly. No aromas to lead you on that this is a "Farmhouse Ale". Some biscuit malt but that is about all that is detected. Very little flavor. Mostly biscuit malt and little to no qualities of a saison. Has a thin body but carbonation is halfway decent. Unfortunately I have seven more of these things to consume.

1.53/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Lemony gold that was crystal clear until one too many ounces snuck into the glass. A dark, murky cloud is now slowly oozing downward and is fouling the perfect clarity of the beer. The bright white head looks incredibly cheap, has the texture of your average BMC light lager (worse actually), is a thin film inside of two minutes and leaves no lace. *This* is a saison?

Smells like cider. Not sweet apple cider, but the cider/perry that used to be reviewed on this site. LMFA is sour apple-like and smells nothing like beer, much less like a farmhouse ale. This will not end well.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale tastes like a mixture of Bud Light, Woodchuck Cider, lemon juice and several packets of sugar. This is, by a few thousand miles, the worst saison that I've ever had and is one of the most pathetic beers of any style in recent memory.

If you desire even more specific specifics, the flavor profile includes stale grain soaked in dirty rain water, green apples, lemon juice and a shot of Karo syrup thinned with mineral water. How could this stuff have gotten by the taste testers? Gack. The bottle cap and the label read 'Man's Best Friend'. More like 'A BA's Worst Enemy'.

As if it matters, the vital statistics include: pale malt, caramel malt, Vienna malt, wheat malt, flaked barley, Galena hops, Tettnang hops, 4.82% ABV and 7 IBUs. It sure as hell doesn't taste like those ingredients came anywhere near this bottle.

The mouthfeel is exceptionally light, fades to frankly watery on the brief finish and has a decent amount of fine-gauged carbonation that does nothing to give volume to the beer. This Mutt just lays on the tongue, whimpers once and then slinks away with its tail between its legs.

Lazy Mutt Harmhouse Fail is 'the flagship brand of Minhas Craft Brewery'. Well boys, it looks like your ship is sinking. By the way, don't expect anyone with a single functioning taste bud to help bail. Horrendous is an understatement.

1.61/5  rDev -31.2%

An interesting looking 8 pack at a reasonable price. A 'farmhouse ale', what could go wrong? Beer pours very pale, yellow with a thin head that quickly dissipates. I smell this beer and I am immediately taken back. The first smell was quit offensive. I was not sure what I had gotten into. I smelled it again. Very sweet smelling. Kind of like rotten fruit mixed with molasses. I'm not too familiar with this style, but that can't be good. Taste was initially okay, but gets worse as the beer continues with a unpleasant lingering after taste. Its gonna be tough to get through all 8 of these....

2.7/5  rDev +15.4%

Light pale hay color with a mid sized white head that quickly dies.

Light sour kraut smell with some pale malts. Thats about it.

Light bodied and watery, but it does have nice feeling carbonation. Lightly sweet pale malts along with lightly funky sour kraut, and a touch of grainy bitterness.

Very light not great attempt at a saison.

1.88/5  rDev -19.7%

Exits bottle pale and straw. A ring of white encircling the edges of the glass pretty much closes the book of Head.
Smell...damn. Corn husk, spinach and a vegetal rindiness are shooed away by an alkaline notion. I've whiffed this scent before, and in past experiences it did not bode well for things to come.
And here we go again. There's something very, well, cabbage and corn going on here. And all St. Patrick's stuff aside, I did not seek this out. In a farmhouse you'd think there would be some yeast, some funk, some character, hell, even some wheat notion happening maybe. Here it's corn husk, cabbage and damp newsprint through and through. Herbs? Spices? Not today, pal. Ain't happenin'.
The mouthfeel is equally devoid of zest, as it retreats with a passive carbonic wink and then anti-sidles away with cornhusker slickness.
Lazy Mutt...why brew a beer so aptly named?

3.09/5  rDev +32.1%

I'm not a big fan of the saison style. The saisons are usually a little too dry and a little too funky for my tastes. I didn't have very high hopes for this one; but I was taken in by the allure of the cheap 8 pack of non-twist-off brown bottles (which I'll use for bottling my homebrew). I didn't get much head here. There was very little head to start with and veritably no head retention to speak of. The cloudy, pale color was perfect for a saison and, despite the almost non-existent head, there was adequate effervesence. The smell is lacking. It smells something like wet cardboard and a hint of corriander. I didn't care much for the first sip; but, then, the funkiness at the tail end of it captivated me as I continued drinking it. There's some effervescence...but the mouthfeel is a little oily, thin and cheap. Overall though, I would say this is a very drinkable beer. It isn't too fussy...and, for a cheap beer, it has a surprising complexity...just enough to hold my interest.

1.23/5  rDev -47.4%

Appearance: Hazy light golden. Very little head. Virtually no lace. No carbonation seen in the body of the beer.

Aroma: Sweet, syrupy, grainy, worty, corny. Not much like a saison to be sure.

Taste/MF: Oh this is not good. This is just a sweet syrupy mess. Grainy. Adjuncts are very apparant. Hardly any carbonation. Go back to my comments in the aroma section: Sweet, syrupy, grainy, worty, corny.

DK: The whole experience was bad here. This makes me wonder...why is this brewery attempting a saison?

2.08/5  rDev -11.1%

A medium-firm pour into a tulip elicits a one-fingered off-white head with moderate lacing. Dirty-blonde in color, and very much like a Zwickel in appearance and coloration overall.

Light notes of yeast and subtle spice are the first things I detect on the nose. There's something between a lemon rind and coriander aspect to the spice, but I've also detected the same from corn used in cream ales (!), so Minhas gets a by on this one (maybe it's both spice and corn?) Another couple of impressions: seltzer, crushed aspirin, and sheet metal. My last impressions before I give this a first, cursory sip are that it seems lightly astringent and more than a touch sweet. YIKES! On first sip this one offers a barrage of competing influences. There's lemon zest adding the citric component (but it's strangely artificial...), that weird, aspirin-like taste that I first encountered on the nose, some transient yeast characteristics which ought to help but don't, some very light honey notes, that somewhat indeterminate spice melange (...), and some VERY sweet (we're talking aspartame sweet here, kids) crystal malt character. And then there's the aftertaste . . . ugh. It's spicy, biscuit-like and there's some evidence of the wheat malt (very light clove and banana), but there's something that ain't right here. This one might be a drain-pour, but I want to peel back the bandage and see just how bad this is.

My guess is they made this with wheat malt, lots of crystal malt, some specialty (Pilsener) malt, and a corn or sugar adjunct in addition to the spices. The second sip isn't nearly a bad as the first and this might improve a bit as it warms.

Mouthfeel is light, seltzer-like and rather brisk. Oddly enough, this reminds me of Michelob Ultra (Original Flavor (R), indicating a beer-like experience at least, but drinkability? Sorry. I was being somewhat generous with the scores in the preceding categories (on account of cutting Minhas some slack on this unique first-ever attempt at the style), but this is just not very drinkable in my mind. On a hot summer's day, maybe, but the sheer weirdness of this brew defies the style it's intended to emulate and ultimately, it falls short of its goal. Shame.

1.03/5  rDev -56%

After seeing this brew on a daily basis, I decided to give it a shot. I purchased one bottle from the mix-and-match 6-pack section at Apollo West.

Upon pouring it into a glass, it looked like a cloudy pilsner. Smelled ridiculously sweet, almost like a cheap malt liquor.

After taking a sip, I was not impressed. I decided to let it warm up a bit, which did not help in the slightest. The sweetness to it is simply too overwhelming to warrant another taste. I cut my losses and tossed the remainder and thanked myself for not buying more.

3.23/5  rDev +38%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint.

Pours a medium straw with a brilliant white 1 finger head that recedes quickly leaving no lace. Light cloud, very light but it's there.

Aroma is lightly malted barley and wheat with adjunct grains (corn?). Small citrusy hop aroma

Taste is adjunct with a tiny hop bite finishing with sweet wheat. The wheat gives a band-aid, bubblegum and banana (like a weiss, but not as good) There is a cloying sweetness to the brew that I can't place, like a cheap malt liquor. Resinous esters.

Mouthfeel is crisp, reasonable carbonation. Bubbles are harsh instead of soft, more like a soda.

Drinkability is good. Not offensive, just not great. That sweetness kinda ruins the little bit of a party there is.

Overall, not bad for mowing the lawn, or shoveling the driveway, but it ain't no ABC either. I probably won't look for it again.

2.53/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a new Sam Adams glass. pours a rich straw color with a single finger of white frothy head.

aroma is sweet, with a distinct sour character almost reminiscent of an unripe grape. upon warming a bit the sourness takes on a vinegar-like quality. a lightly fruity base rounds out the aroma. fruit notes include apple and a touch of pear.

taste is sweet up front, with a very restrained sourness when compared to the aroma. it resembles a robust version of a macro pilsner, with a bit of sourness added in. a grainy character leans toward the stale side, masking the quality of the sour flavors.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with a slight bite from CO2, and a clean finish leaving a bit to be desired.

drinkability is decent. this is a brew that goes down easy, but leaves the drinker wondering what it was that just passed through their lips. the sour character that makes farmhouse ales great in their own right is masked by an overly grainy profile.

3.33/5  rDev +42.3%

A- poured a foggy golden, with a little bit of a white head on top although it fell quickly. Not a bad body heads kinda sad.

S- I dont really smell much a little coriander maybe, smells pretty light with a grain touch, little disappointing, but not bad.

T- starts off with a very light tart? ness taht isnt bad but pretty weak, that provides the bulk of the flavor. its pretty delicate for flavor. i actually warmed up to it as i drank it, opened up a little bit, but not enough to make it great, but still decent overall. not a bad party drink or introduction to craft beer flavor

M- pretty light body, medium carbonation, almost crisp

D- not bad, turned out ok, but started out dissapointing, maybe i should have warmed it up more before, prolly help more.

2.65/5  rDev +13.2%

since this is the only Farmhouse Ale I've sampled I'm going off of the style description here and not comparing it to other styles.

Bottle cap states 'Man's best Friend'. Let's hope so. Also of note they use Canadian 2 Row Malt Barley...I know a thing or two about that...good start.

hazy straw color. Very light, fizzy head that didn't hold it's ground @ all.

Aroma is quite yeasty and sweet. Certainly very little fruitiness if any.

Same yeastiness shows up in the taste with a mild tartness. More like a bad domestic wheat beer. Finishes dry as it should.

Bit fizzy intially, but settles into a decent, smooth feel. Almost wants to be velvety, but the dryness prevents that.

Overall, it's drinkable, but I'd like to try another brewer's attempt @ this before I give this dog another bone

1.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Appearance - Hazy but fizzy. Dull gold. Short fizzy white head. Head doesn't last long.

Smell - Yeast predominates. Sweet almost corny malt.

Taste - Quite sweet. A little bit citrus fruity - but watered down tasting. Cloying aftertaste. Not much discernible hoppiness.

Mouthfeel - Light and tingly.

Drinkability - Not an impressive beer. Unfortunately they come 8 to the 6 pack, so I've got 7 more to drink. And the commercial is pretty lame. He's about to "spot" his territory. Nice and subtle.

2.5/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz single for some nominal fee at Riley's

union made +1 point

appearance: pours into a brooklyn pint glass, moderately cloudy urine-yell color, super bubbly, light beige cap...yawner

smell: wheat malts, funky must, sour lemon, grassy

taste: this is like a macro-saison of some sort...the tart artificial lemon flavors dominate with a strong wheatgrass base, fair amount of corn noticeable. not worth drinking again

mouthfeel: tart and light

drinkability: bah