Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 11-29-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Poured a hazy light amber in color topped by a white half finger head. The head quickly receded to a thin white cap and left only some spotty lacing down the inside of my glass.

S - Smells faintly of apples, and I had to strain a bit to get that. Not much going on in the nose...is this really a Saison?

T & M - Much like the aroma, I was let down with the taste. This is kind of a watered down apple cider with just a touch of almost non-existent peppery spice, carried on a watery grain body. As I continue to drink, that very faint spice seems to disappear, leaving only a watered down apple juice flavor. Oh, by the way, have I mentioned it seems watered down? At least it finishes crisp, right?

D - OK, if it was between this or Bud Light I would choose this. That being said...their claim that this is a Farmhouse Ale is preposterous! For some reason I kept picturing this being handed out at the water stations during a marathon. Don't go out of your way for this one.

1.55/5  rDev -32.9%

Wow, So I had this beer and thought "union made" I have to try this. I'm a union guy. This beer is awful, it is, i'm sorry. funny thing is, i had some non beer geek friends over and while they didn't necessarily like it they also didn't dislike it. I was floored, my dog wouldn't drink this stuff. literally, he drinks all kinds of beer. I know this. Pass on this one.

2.12/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance -- pours a murky straw color with a fizzy head. Could easily pass for a cream soda. What?!?!

Smell -- It's hard to pick anything out of this besides malt aside from the faintest shadow of grassy hops.

Taste -- Vanilla, lemon, pale malt, strawberries. As the 7 IBU's would suggest, there is nearly no hop presence. This tastes nothing like a Farmhouse Ale, even a malty one.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with moderate foamy carbonation. Chalky finish.

Drinkability -- It's notable to mention that, after Yuengling, Minhas Brewing run the oldest continuously operated brewery in the United States. This beer is not good. This is certainly not a Farmhouse Ale, rather it doesn't fit any style. In a bad way. Sorry, Minhas, you should've called this something else.

2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

I took a tour of the Minhas Craft brewery in Monroe, WI in late Summer 2010. As a parting gift for taking the tour they gave away free bottles of beer and lazy mutt was one of them.

Before taking the tour I had heard a lot of hype about this beer. I wished the taste lived up to the hype. Lazy Mutt has a very simple taste. It pours a pale golden color and has a very light taste but with a surprisingly strong citrus hints. Still has a better taste than a cheap 30-pack but at the price this retails for, I would be willing to stick with the 30pk. Something new to try but probably not a regular purchase.

2.41/5  rDev +4.3%

11.16oz bottle (what?) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a mostly clear (just a hint of haze) pale almost straw golden color. A thin finger of fizzy head barely lingers for a momentand falls to a thin collar of white bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S - Earthy hops, some bready malt and not much else. Smells more like a European lager than anything else...and definitely not a farmhouse ale.

T - Lemony over bread laced with a strong dose of diacetyl. Grainy overall, light bitterness...not much character. Could easily do without the buttery component completely.

M - Slick, oily, watery and thin. The carbonation is medium high with a solid tingle in the mouth.

D - Wow, I had hopes of finding a great farmhouse ale that I'd never heard of...as it turns out, I guess I haven't heard of this one for good reason. Not sure how this can be a farmhouse ale...it's a nondescript continental lager with some off flavors in it. This is a one and done...glad to have tried it though - good to know these things firsthand.

3.85/5  rDev +66.7%

lazy mutt, from a "6 pack" that has "8 beers in it"--cute, and way cuter than a 6 pack that has 4 beers in it.

a 4 clear pale gold with a big foamy head that takes a respectable time to dwindle to a ring. bits of lace.

s 4 tangy hay, aspirin, and what you could swear smells like a lager from charleston, and possibly a whiff of orange tic tacs. it's really not a bad nose and kind of mysterious. no it's not quite a typical farmhouse smell, but i already knew not to expect that--just reviewing it as "a beer."

t 3.5-4 most of the aroma carries through to the taste, but there's more sweetness than expected. though the sweetness is not at all overwhelming, there isn't much of anything to counter it so it lingers. yet the flavor is actually pretty nice and difficult to pin down. despite the lack of crispness, it has a certain quenching quality to it. must be just enough underlying tartness hiding underneath. reminds me a little bit of a weak "malt liquor," but a very well-mannered one. are malt liquors not allowed on this site? and if not, why not?

m 3.5 a relatively hard pour deprives the beer of most of its co2, so consider going easy. body is pretty light but there are enough residual sugars to bring it about halfway to medium.

d 4-4.5 not sure why there's apparently so much hate for this one. (except that it's brewed by Minhas, but why let should i let that color my perceptions? they contract brew some pretty good beer, and for an incredibly cheap lager their mountain creek or whatever it's called is a great value.) i'm on my 8th of th 8-pack, enjoyed over several weeks, and i've got to say it's really not bad at all if you're looking for an easy going, lowish abv, wet (as opposed to dry) little quencher with an interesting aroma. good gawd, i wonder if i just gave this thing its highest rating ever.

1.59/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My girlfriend was nice enough to bring home some beer with her on Friday, and I have to say I was excited when I saw it was a beer I'd never tried. She's getting into saisons, so she was pleased to see a "farmhouse ale" at the local corner store.

We popped a couple open, poured them into pint glasses, and realized we were in for some trouble.

This beer may be many things, but it is not a farmhouse ale. It smells like a bad Euro lager and tastes like malt liquor mixed with a little lemon juice. The aftertaste is awful, with a slick chemical profile. The last 5 ounces or so went down the drain.

I wasn't at all shocked when I logged on to BA to find it had a D+ rating.

I'd take an ice cold Bud over this any day of the week. An absolute wreck of a beer, and I can see those other 6 bottles sitting in my fridge for a long, long, time.

3.92/5  rDev +69.7%

Consumed in a: Pilsener pint glass

After buying this beer, which caught my eye (as is the case with most people it seems) with the whole 8-to-a-pack-thing, I immediately looked online to see what others had to say (as I usually do). To my disappointment, it seemed everybody was bashing it. How could it possibly be that good with hardly anyone recommending it? But, after trying it a few times as objectively as possibly, I must say I disagree with the "haters". Yeah, it's not a "true" Farmhouse ale and doesn't taste like one. So? Beer Advocate says not to judge against inherent qualities of beers. What about the flipside? Why should beers be confided so rigidly into categories? Call it false advertising, but don't let it have any effect on your perception of what it actually is. This beer isn't amazing, but it's got a taste I can really dig, with the mix of sweet and sour, with the bold effervecensce washing away any strong aftertaste. Great summer evening brew.

Appearance - Pours well, a slightly hazy golden froth. Decent lacing and head retention. Must be loaded with CO2, as there's an awful lot of bubble action going on here.

Smell - Actually fairly complex. Notes of dirty gym socks, white chocolate, faint toffee, lemon and butter. It's got a pretty unique sour aroma to it...not vinegary sour like a lambic, but, as I said, more of a sweaty funk type sour. Not for everyone.

Taste - More pronounced lemon/citrus flavors, with a slightly metallic taste. Did this sit in the vat too long? Oh well, it's not THAT offensive.
Taste isn't as complex, interesting or good as the aroma, but still very much palatable to me personally.

Mouthfeel - Not so impressive. Pretty "blah" and watery and WAY too much carbonation for most people (I personally like the amount of carbonation, as it slows me down for one thing. This beer is so light and agreeably tasty to me that I'd probably find myself pounding it much quicker than I should be. With this much carbonation, my stomach won't let me. Also, I love the burps that come from interestingly tasty, highly-carbonated beers.) Still, could use some body to it.

Drinkability - Overall, this is something I could get into on a fairly regular basis (during the summer/fall at least). Aside from the gassyness provided by the carbonation, not too filling. Would be a great session beer if it had just a tad less alcohol.

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Pours hazy pale gold with a slight head that quickly dissapears.

Aroma is wheaty pale malt and a sour vegetal quality. No spices. This can't be a Saison.

Taste is exactly what the nose described. Sweetly tart and then sour. A bit of lemon and apple, and a light crispness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a syrupy medium body.

Why do they call this a Farmhouse Ale? A little more flavor than a typical macro, but falls far, far short of the style.

Bottle, label as above, from an 8 pack. Looked interesting, trying not to let any bias show.
It pours a pale, yellow-brown color. Starts with a bubbly head that disappears, no retention and no lacing. Very hazy, no cloudy, lots of thick sediment at the bottom. Vegetable and slightly sour smell. Same cooked vegetable (cabbage?) in the taste. Got a butterscotch and metallic aftertaste. It has some weird funkiness to it - but not a saison-type funk. No spice/pepperyness or yeast like I was expecting/hoping for. Fizzy mouthfeel, highly carbonated yet thin and watery, and still cloyingly sweet (adjuncts?). Had a hard time finishing this one, got worse as it warmed up.

1.6/5  rDev -30.7%

A: Cloudy, yellow, weak farmhouse ale look, Over carbonation (way to much), small head if any.

S: Fruity citrus and a sour smell.

T: This was nothing like a farmhouse ale and tasted more like a Miller Lite/ Schmit's mass production American Pilsner...even my wife said this tasted like a Miller (bad college flash back)! I had a hard time drinking this and i bought a 6 pack of Flying Dog Garde Dog which is a true French farmhouse ale at the same time. The packing and the writing on the the 8 pack fooled me (wish i had a smart phone to look this beer up here at the beer store first).

M: Over carbonation with not much of any taste,

D: Never again...!

2.16/5  rDev -6.5%

I was excited to try my first Farmhouse Ale, but it became clear after the first sip that Lazy Mutt was not the best choice. I was definitely swayed by the 8-for-the-price-of-6 marketing, but now I understand that they need that kind of advertising if they want anyone to purchase this beer.

A - An uninteresting cloudy yellow body with a very small bubbly head.

S - Slightly sour and unimpressive citrus aroma. Very simple and somewhat stale.

T - The first thing I am inclined to note about the taste of this beer is the overwhelmingly sour, metallic aftertaste that sticks with you for a good while. It's not at all what I expected. And for how sweet it goes in, the following bitterness is a bit much.

M - Crisp, light and watery with little carbonation.

D - Awful. The sour, metallic aftertaste overwhelms every other aspect of the beer. I was expecting a lot more and am sitting here after only two bottles, ridiculously disappointed and almost unwilling to drink any more of the eight pack. I'd honestly drink a piss beer like Nati Light before I'd pay for this "Farmhouse Ale" again.

3.12/5  rDev +35.1%

Reviewed 11-06-09

Served from a bottle to a glass cold

A - pale yellow color, decent carbonation though not 1 finger of foam, what foam was there dispersed rather quickly

S - Sweet fruity smell couldn't catch a lot of hops or malt

T - light/medium bodied, noticeable hop flavor, didn't notice much in the malt category

M/D - This was #3 in the 4 pack sampler. It is a drinkable brew, sweet tasting not too overpowering but wasn't my favorite. Right now I'm leaning towards not purchasing the pack again just for the 2 brews I liked.

2.68/5  rDev +16%

330 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Pale white head, light and fluffy, 2 cm off the pour, but recedes quickly to a smattering of bubbles. Beer is a golden color, pristine.

S-Slight fruity nuance over a bready-sweet malt. Slightly ripe and sour fruity character.

T-Bready-sweet malts, slight fruitiness. Finishes dull and damp. No bitterness or balancing character.

M-Medium-light body, a bit flabby. Medium carbonation, neither good nor bad.

D-Drinkable due to its relatively bland flavor profile, but it's not a great beer, which certainly detracts from its drinkability.

3.41/5  rDev +47.6%

Given that this is one of the lowest rated craft brews on any beer rating site, I'm a little disappointed at how good it is! I was excited to find a horrible train wreck, something that would make me wretch, but it's actually not bad. Maybe they've cleaned it up? (It's certainly not as yeasty as the one pictured on the site; that had to have come out of someone not knowing how to do a bottling run for this kind of beer).

But firstly, YES, it is clearly not a Saison. I'm just looking at it for what it is, and not trying to peg it into any style category. So...

It exhibited good head retention, holding a solid cap (it was thin in the middle, but it was still solid) throughout most of the glass, and it left some very nice lace behind as well. It's obviously unfiltered, and maybe that's why they've labeled it "farmhouse ale". Nice golden color.

The aroma is lacking, expressing only basic maltiness, yeast, and a bit of apple-like yeasty fruitiness. And I could see how some might find the actual yeast a bit offensive, but I don't. It's a little boring, and some hops would be great, but it's clean so I can't really fault it.

The flavor is basically the same as the aroma, although there's also a bit of grape-like flavor. The malt is basic, and although some have cried "adjunct!", I find a clear note of grainy malt to it. It's mildly bitter, and the slight tartness of the yeast helps to balance it. Again, some hops would be nice but I only get a minor touch of floral and spice, and I think the spice is from actualy spice, and not hops. Who knows? Still, it finishes dry, and not sticky, so who am I to complain?

So what is left? What's so horrible about this beer? Well, nothing really. It's medium-light in body and crisp. And it's drinkable. What they're obviously going for, based on what's written on the label, is "volume" drinkability. It reads "... It means that on Sunday, when you have two things on your mind: where to sit and what to watch, we'll be right there with you". So, OK, a football beer. Is this any worse than chilling with a crisp, cool can of Coor's Light? Certainly not. "Farmhouse Ale" isn't a very good label for this beer, but I can see where they're coming from given the customer they're pitching this to. But really, beyond that, it's not a bad basic beer.

1.9/5  rDev -17.7%

8 bottles for the price of 6? Sounds good. The label looks pretty decent. And it's a full cooler over from the discount beer. Maybe the 8-for-the-price-of-6 thing is just a marketing gimmick to help this catch on, after all, I've never seen it until now.

Alas, upon getting the stuff home, I realized that this is a Minhas brew. Not a good sign.

Still, I was willing to give it a try. They'd obviously put a lot more effort in to packaging this stuff than they did with other Minhas brews I've seen, so maybe they'd put extra effort into the beer itself, too.

Not so much.

First of all, I find it very hard to accept that this is a saison. It's an adjunct-filled lager, as far as I can tell.

It pours a pale straw colour with a small, bubbly head that has no retention and no lacing. It also looks a little bit cloudy. I first worried that it was an off bottle. But, given how many of the other reviews here commented on it being hazy, I fear that this is just how the stuff looks.

Unfortunately, that means that the terrible smell and taste of the beer isn't the result of an off bottle, either.

Smell is that of cooked vegetables. Rather, it's the smell of the water that's left over after you finish boiling some vegetables. It's a faint, but unpleasant aroma.

The taste is just awful. If we're going to pretend that this is a saison, then it is truly the worst saison that I've ever tasted. It tastes disturbingly similar to Colt 45...full of adjuncts and brewers' sugar. There's also a strange citrus-y, metallic taste that lingers on the tongue. The more it warms up, the worse it gets. It is not pleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated. It's probably because of the metallic after taste, but for some reason I want to describe the mouthfeel as that of chewing on tinfoil.

Drinkability is mediocre. I could probably down a few of these on a really hot day if they were ice cold, but even for lawn mower beer, this wouldn't be my first choice.

I can't imagine ever buying this stuff again. Even as far as discount beers go, this stuff is terrible.

2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

11.16 (?) oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip. "Union Made" seems the only thing they deem necessary to say on the bottle - No date.

A - Brilliantly clear and active golden honey with an effervescent and low white head. Little retention and only a ring left in under a minute. No lacing.

S - Immediately smells like a poorly crafted adjunct lager. Sweet cooked corn overpowers the aroma with pale malt being an afterthought. No hops here. Incredibly mild light spiciness.

T - Pale malts and dry straw with the same cooked corn and a minor sweetness come across the palate. Not as adjunct in nature as the aroma let on to be but certainly not resembling of a farmhouse ale. Very mild spice flavor.

M - Smooth but well carbonated with a light bite to the finish. Medium-light in body and somewhat slick across the tongue.

D - While this beer isn't awful it doesn't resemble a farmhouse ale in the least. It's more of an MGD's younger, slightly more flavorful brother. It's drinkable for what it is though. I'm glad I didn't pick up the 8 pack of it, that's for sure.

2.22/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Initially impressed with the 8 bottles offered for the price of 6, and the catchy name and fancy red label but this beer turned out to be hit or miss-4 of the bottles exhibited a certain metallic taste, most often associated with canned beer sitting in there too long. Its appearance was somewhat pleasing, dark golden color with very little head and no lacing, heavy carbonation, but the slight bitterness was immediately lost in the metallic taste. I have been taught to drink an entire beer before giving a review but I had to pour it out into the garden about 3/4 of the way through. Overall disappointed and and would not recommned it to anyone.

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Pours a light, pale yellow body with a real thin, white head. Even some energetic glass swirling can't seem to awaken it. Ah well.

Smell: Light, dull maltiness with some near non-existent floral hints. Then, there's the butter. Yes, friends, butter. A real "what have I gotten myself into" aroma.

Taste: Light pale maltiness with some sweet cereal hints with, to my extreme dismay, a taste of unsalted butter hot on its heels. Where one might look for some pleasant fruity esters, you'll find only odd, unnatural vegetal hints. Faint floral hops with a low, low, low bitterness. Then, sadly, it's back to the pat of butter until the vaguely sweetish finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Low carbonation. Limp, thin mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Bad dog! Very VERY Bad dog! That's right, Lazy Mutt, look ashamed! A beer to steer well clear of.

2.52/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a tulip glass when I saw it on sale for $1.39 per bottle , figured maybe it was my lucky day. Sadly, it was $1.39 for a reason.

A - Hazy, very little head, color is like a badly fermented homebrew

S - Not a lot of smell, there is some sweet dried fruit and also table sugar.

T - Almost has a corn flavor, maybe it's butterscotch. Overall, I see where it is headed towards a farmhouse ale, but it just isn't particularly good.

M - Very weak mouthfeel, a bit of carbonation, but again...not much here.

D - Far better in style available, I would skip the lazy mutt.

2.81/5  rDev +21.6%

Lots of carbonation, no head or lacing. The color is a hazy yellow. The smells coming from this beer are no different than your traditional macro brew, disappointing to say the least. There is a light berry taste going on up front along with a corn-like sweetness. The flavor escapes almost immediately with each swallow. The flavor is fairly watered down. I would drink this again, but I wouldn't want to pay money for it.

2.59/5  rDev +12.1%

Hmmm... not that great. Got this a while back. Poured with some head and no lace. Most of the head dissipated soon thereafter. Aroma was a little sour, yet fruity, and yeasty. Color is a hazy orangey amber. Flavor is odd: Sweet and fruity in the background with sour on the tongue and some bitterness in there, mainly from the yeastoids. Body is a little oily. Finish is an extension of those flavors. Label says "Union Made" - if I were them, I'd ask to take that off.

2.63/5  rDev +13.9%

11.16oz brown bottle ... why not the standard 12oz bottle? No freshness date.

Hazed straw yellow color, hazed due to the yeast in the bottle. Decent lacing with credit due to the very active carbonation. Aromas of white chocolate, lemon zest and a cracker graininess. Very crisp, deep enough which adds a refreshing character upfront. Vague lemon oil, wild flower and clean graininess are the stronger characteristics. Hops are modest with a small bitterness. A little spicy middle to end with more lemon zest flavor. Semi-dry finish with a nearly clean after taste.

Not sure what to make of this one, very non-conventional for the style. Simply tastes like a spicy crisp summer seasonal blonde ale with lemon flavor. Did they really mean to put "Farmhouse Ale" on the label.

2.36/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a frosty golden orange with no head. Smells sweet (in a bad way) and sour (in a worse way). Something like sour apricots with musty and metallic elements... What do we have here? Hmm. The sweetness is rather sad, lonely, and flat...rather like that of a Bud Light or something. Once that's gone, though it fades interestingly into a sweet tobacco aftertaste (which I rather like). Carbonation really rips up the mouth!
Bud does a very citrusy wheat beer and jacks up the carbonation, basically. A bastardization of my favorite style. Boo.

3.05/5  rDev +32%

8 pack at the price of a 6 pack? Hell yeah.

Why, oh god why, would they try to market this as a Saison? This is no Saison. This is an Adjunct in the spirits of Grain Belt.

So... as a Saison? F. Total, complete, absolute F.

As an Adjunct? Hey not bad. 8 for 6, I could bring this to BMC drinkers, I could cook with it... another non-BMC to add to my Grain Belt, Pigs Eye, PBR list.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale from Minhas Craft Brewery