Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 11-29-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
3.19/5  rDev +38.7%

If the intent of Minhas Craft Brewery was to make a "macrobrew" to compete with the likes of Coors/Miller/AB on a beer-seller's shelf, this beer certainly does well in that sort of taste arena, as this otherwise uninspiring and easily drinkable brew certainly fits into this sort of genre. If your idea of drinking a good beer is Miller/Bud Lite/MGD/Corona/Rolling Rock/Busch/Coors, etc, then you likely will be happy--or at least unoffended--with the contents of this bottle. Drinkers of otherwise "cheap" beer (Keystone, Milwaukee's Best/"The Beast"/PBR, etc. in a can) will be best advised to drink these bottles first (aka "drink the better-tasting swill first to catch your buzz before drinking the hasher-tasting stuff").

The carbonation is OK, and the flavor is not too hoppy and a bit water'ish. The aroma is mild-to-not-existent.; and I did not "waste time" on pouring these into a glass for full enjoyment, choosing to try them straight from the non-twisting capped bottles. These go down easily, like gatorade does on the sidelines of a football game or like water does in a workout room. If priced well "by the keg," I could see this beer becoming a college-party favorite due to its less-harsh/almost "malternative" taste, which would do well against a harsher Busch, etc.

On the other hand, I was expecting a LOT more and a LOT better from this brewery, having consumed Huber Bock and most of the Berghoff line (which are presently made at the same brewery, which otherwise seems to make a decent "mainsteram microbrew styled" beer in general from other Huber-made brews I've had the opportunity to sample). I was unimpressed with the bottle contents, as the packaging (a "Union Made" _genius_ "8 pack" in a 6/12/24 pack world) of Lazy Mutt looked as if it would be something much better inside of the bottles than it indeed was. C'mon Minhas--I KNOW that you can do _much_ better than this. That said, I'm not going to pour my remaining bottles of this down the drain, but it certainly will not be my first-choice when going to a store and looking to buy beer (unless there are ONLY Miller/AB/Coors' "mainline" beers from which to choose; if the Amber Bock or similar choices are available, then all bets are off in this sort of situation).

But a "Farmhouse Ale?" Only if your definition of "farmhouse" is from behind which you once would sneak beers from "your old man's 'stash'" as a kid. And this one is indeed better tasting than those cans were, but is not nearly as good as I'd _expect_ a beer (esp. one called a "farmhouse ale") from Minhas to be. I hope that this beer is not a sign of future flavors to come from the brewery in Monroe, WI, as they are able to do a LOT better than this (and do some contract-brewing MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than this). (2,788 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Jeez, I don't know what to say. I feel like a was a volunteer in a cruel medical experiment. I picked it up because it had a great gimmick, an eight pack for a six pack price. Sounded good at the time but now I have to dump out seven beers instead of five.

Poured into a pint, really cloudy, like unfiltered apple juice.
I thought at first that it was tainted or rotten, but after reading the other reviews it appears that it's just really terrible. Not much more to say about it, avoid at all cost. (500 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -28.3%

A- This pours a slightly hazy light ginger ale color. And I hate to say this but it looks like how piss looks when your sick. I couldn't believe it but this is the only beer I've had where there was a minimal head upon pouring that disappeared into literally nothing! There is no foam, no ring, not even a single bubble sitting on top of the liquid. There is no lacing to speak of and overall this just looks like flat ginger ale that's somewhat cloudy!

S- I didn't read anybody's review before trying this and the first thing that comes to my mind was a sour apple scent with lemon juice mixed in....kind of a citrus smell but not in a good way!

T- Again, I taste some apples, a little sweeter than the aroma leads on and at least I don't taste the citrus notes here. Maybe a little bit of malt as well but no hop bitterness is detectable. There is also a yeasty backround noticable here as well.

M- Fizzy and watery about sums it up...again...it's like drinking a carbonated version of a frozen apple juice where too much water has been added.

D- Sorry, but I'm glad my friend bought this 8 pack and not me...no wonder after we each had one that he didn't care about taking the rest home with him. I wouldn't recommend this one and I'm sure it will take awhile for me to finish off the rest of these that are in my fridge, if I don't give them away first! Not a good beer in my opinion. (1,392 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

pours out really budweiser clear with just a tad of white suds.
Smell is slightly spicey with a very little hint of yeast. Not much going on here.
Taste is a little sweet with a clove-like cinnamony flavor. Very little else happening.
Mouthfeel is very clean, almost too clean. Not a lot to feel really.
Drinkability is great if the taste had been a bit better.
Too watery for my tastes. (387 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance - pours a pale apple juice or white grape juice color. A thin watery head melts away like November snow. There is a thin collar that hangs around, but a lackluster opening for the most part.

Aroma - a malt liquor, stale apple juice smell. Not terribly bad, but not exciting either.

Taste - weak, beery apple juice. A touch sweet upfront, a trace of bitterness post-swallow, nothing more. Meh.

Mouthfeel - crisp, light body, a touch smooth. The only redeeming part of the beer.

Drinkability - even for a style that doesn't ring my beer bell, this isn't what I thought it would or should be. (604 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a straw yellow color. Watery white head, with no lace or retention.

Smells somewhat sour, with a tad lemony/malty background.

Tastes like a sour wheat ale basically. Except the sourness isn't a zesty lemon sour, it's more of a rotten gym socks sour. The end has a mustiness to it that is off putting.

Light bodied and a poor example of, not only a farmhouse ale, but all beer in general. Without a doubt, the worst beer I have ever drank. If you see this in an aisle, grab every single 8-pack and shatter them against the opposite wall. You'll thank me for it in the end. (580 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -38.7%

I can't even break this one out with the normal A S T M D. It's usless to try.

This shit was piss yellow, no head, sour--almost like putrifed fruit tasting. They call this shit a "farmhouse" ale. Tastes more like a shithouse ale. It's like maybe spoiled apple juice.? Yucko. I can't believe the brewmasters let this stuff go to packaging, and sale.

Wow. I have an 8 pack of these, 7 are left. Anyone want them? Could not get past the 2nd sip, 1st time I actually poured a beer down the drain. Tossing the remaining 7 in the trash.

Dammit, this is horrible. I am seriously wondering if these aren't spoiled. By far and away the WORST beer I have ever tried. i would be sentenced to a liefetime of Mich Ultra, than to try this shit again.

Very poor effort, Minhas. Shame. (775 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +33%

Pours the color of a wheat field on a summer day, a loose bubbly head that dissipates almost instantly. Smells like a farmhouse ale, sweet, coriander and an upfront sourness. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste like anything. A little sour, a little malty, kind of a syrup sweetness. The carbonation seems alright for the style, just like most of this beer, its alright for style, but it utterly average.

It looks good, tastes fine, and I will likely forget about it in a few hours... (492 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +0.9%

12 ounce bottle into Pint glass.

A: Cloudy straw-blonde with a decent head that almost instantly disappears. Lots of bubble bubble going on here.

S: Smells like lemon grass and sour grapes.

T: First couple of sips I though I might have to pour this sour brew out. You get a sour-someone-squirted-lemon-concentrate-on-my-Wheaties-that-were-stored-in-a-dank-basement kinda flavor. Then there is this bitter Elmer's-glue-canned-mushroom ending that isn't so great. I was hoping for more here, but this beer isn't absolutely terrible. I'd pick it over any of the macro light brews.

M: Very carbonated, but it seems to fit with the flavor.

D: I'm glad I just bought a single although I'd rather be stuck with a sixer of this instead of the bunk ass sixers of Razz wheat and Blueberry lager I recently bought for my girlfriend to sample. (836 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -40%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: golden yellow big white head went away quick, no lace.

Smell: very sour almost like sour milk not good.

Tast: has a light sour tast not as strong as the smell but still not good, seems to be a slight fake fruit after tast strang.

Mouthfeel: watery/no carbonation

Drinkability: Sour not something i want to drink I have 7 more and it is going down the drain, will not buy again.

on a side note i don't mind the bergoff beer that this company makes,but this is a bad saison. (490 characters)

2.3/5  rDev 0%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a medium foamy head on a very cloudy, light tan body. Smells very nice, with strong citrus/lemon/fruitiness, and a good dose of floral. Too bad the taste doesn't follow. Very strange, almost like sour fruit. A wheat ale that has somehow gone bad. Another review mentioned sour kraut...I'd go along with that. Really hard to peg down what the deal is. At the very least I can say, whatever it is, it's not good. (481 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -39.6%

Tried this from a friend's 8-pack for four dollars in Atlanta.

Wow, it's hard to really get a good feel for this beer as you just want to drink it as fast as possible - and not in a good way.

It's a cloudy champagne color, and the head disappears soon after it's poured. It smells a little fruity, but a lot like hot wings.

The taste is a little sour at first, but goes straight downhill from there. I really don't know how to explain the taste, other than just plain terrible. The aftertaste sticks around for thirty minutes and is not pleasant. There's hardly any feel to be had.

All in all this is the worst beer I can remember ever drinking. The worst part is the aftertaste that sticks with you. I see no reason why anyone would pay to drink this beer. (762 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this from a package store in GA for $3.99 for an 8-pack, I should have known then that price almost always reflects quality.

This beer appears to be a wheat beer/ farmhouse ale, but the similarities stop there. Head dissipates within 10-20 seconds. Very slight cloudiness to it with a darker straw color.

Smell is pretty bad, sprite with metallic notes in there, akin to a warm macro.

Taste is sweet and fizzy with a little funk at the end. The worst part is the after taste which lingers on, swill.

Mouthfeel is pretty much nothing, thin and light.

Drinkability is waaaay down there, the after taste is a killer.

I'll take a bud over this, maybe give it to your worst enemy? definitely avoid it. (710 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -33.9%

Should be called Biting Dog.

A= weak pale urine-yellowish. The last few ounces dumped from the bottle had at least an inch of beige-white sludge and looked like sewerage overflow. (check the photo I added, that's only PART of the sludge!).

S= stale malt.

T= modestly acceptable, a bit sour-grape, not much redeeming quality, some carbonation but not even enough to qualify this on the level of a gassy macro-beer. Not much to woof about.

M= a bit flat, some sour aftertaste lingering.

D= even a Lazy Mutt would find the energy to piss on this, wisely so. Good money spent on a crappy 6-pack with 2 free = 8-pack is still no savings. (637 characters)

2.3/5  rDev 0%

This was given to me by a family member, so I can't complain that I wasted my money. Gimmicky dog label, gimmicky 8-pack. We overheard others at 2 separate beer stores..."Well 8 beers in a 6-pack, that's just the darndest thing." Guess the gimmick works.

Fizzy, deep yellow color, no head, just a soda-like crackle that rapidly fades. Apple juice aroma, like a kid's juice box. Mealy and astringent medicinal apple flavor that's out of place, dull grain somewhere in the middle with no distinctive character. Thin watery feel following some carbonic bite. I drank one, and that will be all for the rest of my days.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale: L.M.F.A...O? LMFAO! (663 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -17%

Grabbed a 8-pack and should of known better. Very pale color with a small white head that goes away quickly. No aromas to lead you on that this is a "Farmhouse Ale". Some biscuit malt but that is about all that is detected. Very little flavor. Mostly biscuit malt and little to no qualities of a saison. Has a thin body but carbonation is halfway decent. Unfortunately I have seven more of these things to consume. (414 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Lemony gold that was crystal clear until one too many ounces snuck into the glass. A dark, murky cloud is now slowly oozing downward and is fouling the perfect clarity of the beer. The bright white head looks incredibly cheap, has the texture of your average BMC light lager (worse actually), is a thin film inside of two minutes and leaves no lace. *This* is a saison?

Smells like cider. Not sweet apple cider, but the cider/perry that used to be reviewed on this site. LMFA is sour apple-like and smells nothing like beer, much less like a farmhouse ale. This will not end well.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale tastes like a mixture of Bud Light, Woodchuck Cider, lemon juice and several packets of sugar. This is, by a few thousand miles, the worst saison that I've ever had and is one of the most pathetic beers of any style in recent memory.

If you desire even more specific specifics, the flavor profile includes stale grain soaked in dirty rain water, green apples, lemon juice and a shot of Karo syrup thinned with mineral water. How could this stuff have gotten by the taste testers? Gack. The bottle cap and the label read 'Man's Best Friend'. More like 'A BA's Worst Enemy'.

As if it matters, the vital statistics include: pale malt, caramel malt, Vienna malt, wheat malt, flaked barley, Galena hops, Tettnang hops, 4.82% ABV and 7 IBUs. It sure as hell doesn't taste like those ingredients came anywhere near this bottle.

The mouthfeel is exceptionally light, fades to frankly watery on the brief finish and has a decent amount of fine-gauged carbonation that does nothing to give volume to the beer. This Mutt just lays on the tongue, whimpers once and then slinks away with its tail between its legs.

Lazy Mutt Harmhouse Fail is 'the flagship brand of Minhas Craft Brewery'. Well boys, it looks like your ship is sinking. By the way, don't expect anyone with a single functioning taste bud to help bail. Horrendous is an understatement. (1,948 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -30%

An interesting looking 8 pack at a reasonable price. A 'farmhouse ale', what could go wrong? Beer pours very pale, yellow with a thin head that quickly dissipates. I smell this beer and I am immediately taken back. The first smell was quit offensive. I was not sure what I had gotten into. I smelled it again. Very sweet smelling. Kind of like rotten fruit mixed with molasses. I'm not too familiar with this style, but that can't be good. Taste was initially okay, but gets worse as the beer continues with a unpleasant lingering after taste. Its gonna be tough to get through all 8 of these.... (596 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +17.4%

Light pale hay color with a mid sized white head that quickly dies.

Light sour kraut smell with some pale malts. Thats about it.

Light bodied and watery, but it does have nice feeling carbonation. Lightly sweet pale malts along with lightly funky sour kraut, and a touch of grainy bitterness.

Very light not great attempt at a saison. (337 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -18.3%

Exits bottle pale and straw. A ring of white encircling the edges of the glass pretty much closes the book of Head.
Smell...damn. Corn husk, spinach and a vegetal rindiness are shooed away by an alkaline notion. I've whiffed this scent before, and in past experiences it did not bode well for things to come.
And here we go again. There's something very, well, cabbage and corn going on here. And all St. Patrick's stuff aside, I did not seek this out. In a farmhouse you'd think there would be some yeast, some funk, some character, hell, even some wheat notion happening maybe. Here it's corn husk, cabbage and damp newsprint through and through. Herbs? Spices? Not today, pal. Ain't happenin'.
The mouthfeel is equally devoid of zest, as it retreats with a passive carbonic wink and then anti-sidles away with cornhusker slickness.
Lazy Mutt...why brew a beer so aptly named? (882 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +34.3%

I'm not a big fan of the saison style. The saisons are usually a little too dry and a little too funky for my tastes. I didn't have very high hopes for this one; but I was taken in by the allure of the cheap 8 pack of non-twist-off brown bottles (which I'll use for bottling my homebrew). I didn't get much head here. There was very little head to start with and veritably no head retention to speak of. The cloudy, pale color was perfect for a saison and, despite the almost non-existent head, there was adequate effervesence. The smell is lacking. It smells something like wet cardboard and a hint of corriander. I didn't care much for the first sip; but, then, the funkiness at the tail end of it captivated me as I continued drinking it. There's some effervescence...but the mouthfeel is a little oily, thin and cheap. Overall though, I would say this is a very drinkable beer. It isn't too fussy...and, for a cheap beer, it has a surprising complexity...just enough to hold my interest. (991 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -46.5%

Appearance: Hazy light golden. Very little head. Virtually no lace. No carbonation seen in the body of the beer.

Aroma: Sweet, syrupy, grainy, worty, corny. Not much like a saison to be sure.

Taste/MF: Oh this is not good. This is just a sweet syrupy mess. Grainy. Adjuncts are very apparant. Hardly any carbonation. Go back to my comments in the aroma section: Sweet, syrupy, grainy, worty, corny.

DK: The whole experience was bad here. This makes me wonder...why is this brewery attempting a saison? (507 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -9.6%

A medium-firm pour into a tulip elicits a one-fingered off-white head with moderate lacing. Dirty-blonde in color, and very much like a Zwickel in appearance and coloration overall.

Light notes of yeast and subtle spice are the first things I detect on the nose. There's something between a lemon rind and coriander aspect to the spice, but I've also detected the same from corn used in cream ales (!), so Minhas gets a by on this one (maybe it's both spice and corn?) Another couple of impressions: seltzer, crushed aspirin, and sheet metal. My last impressions before I give this a first, cursory sip are that it seems lightly astringent and more than a touch sweet. YIKES! On first sip this one offers a barrage of competing influences. There's lemon zest adding the citric component (but it's strangely artificial...), that weird, aspirin-like taste that I first encountered on the nose, some transient yeast characteristics which ought to help but don't, some very light honey notes, that somewhat indeterminate spice melange (...), and some VERY sweet (we're talking aspartame sweet here, kids) crystal malt character. And then there's the aftertaste . . . ugh. It's spicy, biscuit-like and there's some evidence of the wheat malt (very light clove and banana), but there's something that ain't right here. This one might be a drain-pour, but I want to peel back the bandage and see just how bad this is.

My guess is they made this with wheat malt, lots of crystal malt, some specialty (Pilsener) malt, and a corn or sugar adjunct in addition to the spices. The second sip isn't nearly a bad as the first and this might improve a bit as it warms.

Mouthfeel is light, seltzer-like and rather brisk. Oddly enough, this reminds me of Michelob Ultra (Original Flavor (R), indicating a beer-like experience at least, but drinkability? Sorry. I was being somewhat generous with the scores in the preceding categories (on account of cutting Minhas some slack on this unique first-ever attempt at the style), but this is just not very drinkable in my mind. On a hot summer's day, maybe, but the sheer weirdness of this brew defies the style it's intended to emulate and ultimately, it falls short of its goal. Shame. (2,218 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -55.2%

After seeing this brew on a daily basis, I decided to give it a shot. I purchased one bottle from the mix-and-match 6-pack section at Apollo West.

Upon pouring it into a glass, it looked like a cloudy pilsner. Smelled ridiculously sweet, almost like a cheap malt liquor.

After taking a sip, I was not impressed. I decided to let it warm up a bit, which did not help in the slightest. The sweetness to it is simply too overwhelming to warrant another taste. I cut my losses and tossed the remainder and thanked myself for not buying more. (539 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +40.4%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint.

Pours a medium straw with a brilliant white 1 finger head that recedes quickly leaving no lace. Light cloud, very light but it's there.

Aroma is lightly malted barley and wheat with adjunct grains (corn?). Small citrusy hop aroma

Taste is adjunct with a tiny hop bite finishing with sweet wheat. The wheat gives a band-aid, bubblegum and banana (like a weiss, but not as good) There is a cloying sweetness to the brew that I can't place, like a cheap malt liquor. Resinous esters.

Mouthfeel is crisp, reasonable carbonation. Bubbles are harsh instead of soft, more like a soda.

Drinkability is good. Not offensive, just not great. That sweetness kinda ruins the little bit of a party there is.

Overall, not bad for mowing the lawn, or shoveling the driveway, but it ain't no ABC either. I probably won't look for it again. (871 characters)

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale from Minhas Craft Brewery