Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 11-29-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros

Edgerrin32, Mar 20, 2012

livingtodie, Mar 20, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from screw-top bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, with light golden color. Low amounts of head on the glass.

Smell: Slightly musty, with kind of an old smell to it. No overwhelming notes.

Taste: Nothing strong - for a farmhouse ale, there's almost no hop or citrus flavors in the ale. Much too heavy on the malt, but no strong alcohol or additional flavors that I'd expect to distinguish the beer.

Mouthfeel: Light - not too dissimilar from a lager.

Overall: Bought this on the (admittedly excellent) gimmick that their "six-packs" actually have eight beers in them, which is tremendous. Aside from that, I'd never buy this again - I think I'll try to turn it into beer bread in the coming months.

irrgalaxy, Mar 03, 2012
1.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Reviewed from session notes.

For better or worse, last week I decided to ignore all outside warnings about Minhas and do some sessions as well as dig up any previous Minhas tasting notes I'd already written down... for the sake of unbiased science and in the spirit of giving all brews at least a fair try.

Looks really quite cloudy and turbid with yeast, not that there is anything wrong with that. Faded straw color, just a thin collar of off-white foam for a head despite an aggressive pour, aroma is at first a suggestion of partly spoiled lemons but thankfully? gets replaced by a cooked sweet corn aroma as the brew warms up in the glass. Yikes. Flavor is mostly dominated by cooked sweet corn to my palate with aftertastes of odd metallic notes....watery texture and body which is a startling contrast with the turbid appearance.
Overall I can't really recommend this one.

WastingFreetime, Jan 23, 2012

zenwatts, Jan 19, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured into a very nice Duvel glass

Appearance: Cloudy light golden look. Seemed to look like it could be a decent beer.

Smell: Light notes of citrus with little other notes that I can't even name because they are so absent, your not able to put a name to them

Taste: Drinkable. I was able to drink it down, but probably will not buy again. Not a pleasant taste, but atleast not a god awful taste. There is still another beer I have had that is still the #1 beer of the worst.

Mouthfeel: Cloudy and a nuisance. Its light and you just chug it down to get rid of it.

Overall: If your looking to try just about every beer out there then try it so you can use it as an example of beers not to drink. If your just looking for a good beer to have after work and/or after other events/things then stay away.

powerss13, Dec 30, 2011

richkrull, Dec 25, 2011

Duff27, Nov 28, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

barnzy78, Nov 28, 2011

brandoman63, Nov 22, 2011
2.58/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle.

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, with a very thin film of uh, foamy, I suppose, off white head, which leaves a low skinny ring of lace around the glass in its 'wake'. It smells of faint sweet wheat grain, some mild florals, and weedy hops. The taste is generic fruity pale malt, a twinge of wheat spice, and an edgy, but not strong, fruity funk, inoffensive at just the wrong time to be. The carbonation is fairly sedate, the body medium light in weight, a bit thin, but not unsmooth. It finishes offdry, the somewhat dead flower fruitiness persisting.

Not too shabby, considering the source. No obvious flaws, the saison qualities just on the heavily underwhelming side.

biboergosum, Oct 22, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -35.6%

I really can't stand this beer. I bought it, and hated it. Then, when I was out of beer, a friend came for a BBQ with another "8 pack" so I got stuck drinking a couple more before I trudged to the store for something I could drink. OK, where to start? It smells like antifreeze, and I have never tasted antifreeze, but I'm sure this is close. Bitter with a distinct bile flavor. Sharp and pungent with a rotting lemon or sour orange aftertaste. Very grainy mouthfeel and a syrupy, clinging wash down the throat that is nearly nauseating. Very bad beer. I'd say this is the closest to undrinkable I've ever had. Salty. Caustic. Horrible. Avoid at all costs. And to think this is coming out of what used to be the venerable Joseph Huber Brewing Company. What a crime. A true insult to the beer drinking community.

MNJR, Aug 20, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Good news: It's the best Minhas beer I tried.

Bad news: Minhas is maybe the worst brewer I've ever tried anything from. If you know any homebrewers who make wort out of used bathwater, or who sometimes get confused and use dish detergent instead of malt syrup, then maybe you've had worse beer. Otherwise, Minhas is the bottom.

The taste is dominated by the medicinal bugspray offness that is the signature flavor of Minhas brews. Only, thankfully, it's a little blotted out by some nodes of lemon. It's thinner, too, so the bugspray isn't as intense.

So--there's nothing in here to signify it being a saison, except that the back end is exceptionally light and fizzy. I can't tell if this is from Belgian yeast or if they just added a bunch of CO2 to it.

mynie, Jul 29, 2011
2.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: The pour is a slightly hazed golden orange color with minimal head formation and retention.

S: Really a very minimal aroma to this beer. Quite watery with a bit of overcooked vegetable and garbage water aroma. Just what I wanted. More and more corn comes through as it sits.

T: Quite tinny with a strong flavor of overcooked corn. Like the nose, the flavor is definitely watery. Not super offensive, but nowhere near good, either.

M: Light in body, watery, and low carbonation.

O: Poor on all fronts. Not a good beer.

womencantsail, Jun 22, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

First try out of a Minhas mix pack. 8 beers for the price of 6. I'm not off to a good start. The beer is a pale gold. Looks like a white beer and has no lacing to speak of. The smell is weak. A little bit of hops and citrus, honey. Typical summer brew scents. The taste is lame. It's got the bittersweet of a white wine and not much else. Not offensive, but weak and is made worse by a too thin and too bubbly of a mouth feel with little drinkability.

nicksta, Jun 20, 2011
2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Finally finishing the Minhas mixed pack I picked up a while ago. This dog pours a lightly hazy straw topped by a low finger of white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, orange rind, light caramel, funky wheat, and light black pepper. The taste brings in more of the same, though now there is more rind (both lemon and orange), a new pinch of nutmeg, and the wheat is funkier in a bad way (like bad wheat getting worse). The body lies on the border between heavy light and light medium, with a moderate carbonation and an almost watery feel. Overall, a pretty sad saison. I'm kinda glad this variety pack is finished, but this was a bad way to end things.

TMoney2591, Apr 06, 2011
2.4/5  rDev +3%

Saw this in one of the Alberta liquor stores, never heard of it so I picked up an 8-pack. Cloudy, light amber with a good sized white head. Smells and taste like the cheap, no name beer but with lemon added. Don't know what else to say, I now have 7 beers for cooking, hope it will be better for that.

spree92, Mar 01, 2011
2.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Poured a hazy light amber in color topped by a white half finger head. The head quickly receded to a thin white cap and left only some spotty lacing down the inside of my glass.

S - Smells faintly of apples, and I had to strain a bit to get that. Not much going on in the nose...is this really a Saison?

T & M - Much like the aroma, I was let down with the taste. This is kind of a watered down apple cider with just a touch of almost non-existent peppery spice, carried on a watery grain body. As I continue to drink, that very faint spice seems to disappear, leaving only a watered down apple juice flavor. Oh, by the way, have I mentioned it seems watered down? At least it finishes crisp, right?

D - OK, if it was between this or Bud Light I would choose this. That being said...their claim that this is a Farmhouse Ale is preposterous! For some reason I kept picturing this being handed out at the water stations during a marathon. Don't go out of your way for this one.

drizzam, Dec 21, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -36.5%

Wow, So I had this beer and thought "union made" I have to try this. I'm a union guy. This beer is awful, it is, i'm sorry. funny thing is, i had some non beer geek friends over and while they didn't necessarily like it they also didn't dislike it. I was floored, my dog wouldn't drink this stuff. literally, he drinks all kinds of beer. I know this. Pass on this one.

davesway10, Nov 28, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance -- pours a murky straw color with a fizzy head. Could easily pass for a cream soda. What?!?!

Smell -- It's hard to pick anything out of this besides malt aside from the faintest shadow of grassy hops.

Taste -- Vanilla, lemon, pale malt, strawberries. As the 7 IBU's would suggest, there is nearly no hop presence. This tastes nothing like a Farmhouse Ale, even a malty one.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with moderate foamy carbonation. Chalky finish.

Drinkability -- It's notable to mention that, after Yuengling, Minhas Brewing run the oldest continuously operated brewery in the United States. This beer is not good. This is certainly not a Farmhouse Ale, rather it doesn't fit any style. In a bad way. Sorry, Minhas, you should've called this something else.

yeahnatenelson, Sep 22, 2010
2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

I took a tour of the Minhas Craft brewery in Monroe, WI in late Summer 2010. As a parting gift for taking the tour they gave away free bottles of beer and lazy mutt was one of them.

Before taking the tour I had heard a lot of hype about this beer. I wished the taste lived up to the hype. Lazy Mutt has a very simple taste. It pours a pale golden color and has a very light taste but with a surprisingly strong citrus hints. Still has a better taste than a cheap 30-pack but at the price this retails for, I would be willing to stick with the 30pk. Something new to try but probably not a regular purchase.

Lemke10, Sep 21, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +2.1%

11.16oz bottle (what?) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a mostly clear (just a hint of haze) pale almost straw golden color. A thin finger of fizzy head barely lingers for a momentand falls to a thin collar of white bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S - Earthy hops, some bready malt and not much else. Smells more like a European lager than anything else...and definitely not a farmhouse ale.

T - Lemony over bread laced with a strong dose of diacetyl. Grainy overall, light bitterness...not much character. Could easily do without the buttery component completely.

M - Slick, oily, watery and thin. The carbonation is medium high with a solid tingle in the mouth.

D - Wow, I had hopes of finding a great farmhouse ale that I'd never heard of...as it turns out, I guess I haven't heard of this one for good reason. Not sure how this can be a farmhouse ale...it's a nondescript continental lager with some off flavors in it. This is a one and done...glad to have tried it though - good to know these things firsthand.

portia99, Sep 04, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +64.4%

lazy mutt, from a "6 pack" that has "8 beers in it"--cute, and way cuter than a 6 pack that has 4 beers in it.

a 4 clear pale gold with a big foamy head that takes a respectable time to dwindle to a ring. bits of lace.

s 4 tangy hay, aspirin, and what you could swear smells like a lager from charleston, and possibly a whiff of orange tic tacs. it's really not a bad nose and kind of mysterious. no it's not quite a typical farmhouse smell, but i already knew not to expect that--just reviewing it as "a beer."

t 3.5-4 most of the aroma carries through to the taste, but there's more sweetness than expected. though the sweetness is not at all overwhelming, there isn't much of anything to counter it so it lingers. yet the flavor is actually pretty nice and difficult to pin down. despite the lack of crispness, it has a certain quenching quality to it. must be just enough underlying tartness hiding underneath. reminds me a little bit of a weak "malt liquor," but a very well-mannered one. are malt liquors not allowed on this site? and if not, why not?

m 3.5 a relatively hard pour deprives the beer of most of its co2, so consider going easy. body is pretty light but there are enough residual sugars to bring it about halfway to medium.

d 4-4.5 not sure why there's apparently so much hate for this one. (except that it's brewed by Minhas, but why let should i let that color my perceptions? they contract brew some pretty good beer, and for an incredibly cheap lager their mountain creek or whatever it's called is a great value.) i'm on my 8th of th 8-pack, enjoyed over several weeks, and i've got to say it's really not bad at all if you're looking for an easy going, lowish abv, wet (as opposed to dry) little quencher with an interesting aroma. good gawd, i wonder if i just gave this thing its highest rating ever.

brewmudgeon, Aug 03, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My girlfriend was nice enough to bring home some beer with her on Friday, and I have to say I was excited when I saw it was a beer I'd never tried. She's getting into saisons, so she was pleased to see a "farmhouse ale" at the local corner store.

We popped a couple open, poured them into pint glasses, and realized we were in for some trouble.

This beer may be many things, but it is not a farmhouse ale. It smells like a bad Euro lager and tastes like malt liquor mixed with a little lemon juice. The aftertaste is awful, with a slick chemical profile. The last 5 ounces or so went down the drain.

I wasn't at all shocked when I logged on to BA to find it had a D+ rating.

I'd take an ice cold Bud over this any day of the week. An absolute wreck of a beer, and I can see those other 6 bottles sitting in my fridge for a long, long, time.

Aguirre, Jun 20, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +68.7%

Consumed in a: Pilsener pint glass

After buying this beer, which caught my eye (as is the case with most people it seems) with the whole 8-to-a-pack-thing, I immediately looked online to see what others had to say (as I usually do). To my disappointment, it seemed everybody was bashing it. How could it possibly be that good with hardly anyone recommending it? But, after trying it a few times as objectively as possibly, I must say I disagree with the "haters". Yeah, it's not a "true" Farmhouse ale and doesn't taste like one. So? Beer Advocate says not to judge against inherent qualities of beers. What about the flipside? Why should beers be confided so rigidly into categories? Call it false advertising, but don't let it have any effect on your perception of what it actually is. This beer isn't amazing, but it's got a taste I can really dig, with the mix of sweet and sour, with the bold effervecensce washing away any strong aftertaste. Great summer evening brew.

Appearance - Pours well, a slightly hazy golden froth. Decent lacing and head retention. Must be loaded with CO2, as there's an awful lot of bubble action going on here.

Smell - Actually fairly complex. Notes of dirty gym socks, white chocolate, faint toffee, lemon and butter. It's got a pretty unique sour aroma to it...not vinegary sour like a lambic, but, as I said, more of a sweaty funk type sour. Not for everyone.

Taste - More pronounced lemon/citrus flavors, with a slightly metallic taste. Did this sit in the vat too long? Oh well, it's not THAT offensive.
Taste isn't as complex, interesting or good as the aroma, but still very much palatable to me personally.

Mouthfeel - Not so impressive. Pretty "blah" and watery and WAY too much carbonation for most people (I personally like the amount of carbonation, as it slows me down for one thing. This beer is so light and agreeably tasty to me that I'd probably find myself pounding it much quicker than I should be. With this much carbonation, my stomach won't let me. Also, I love the burps that come from interestingly tasty, highly-carbonated beers.) Still, could use some body to it.

Drinkability - Overall, this is something I could get into on a fairly regular basis (during the summer/fall at least). Aside from the gassyness provided by the carbonation, not too filling. Would be a great session beer if it had just a tad less alcohol.

joshdesk, Jun 11, 2010