Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 11-29-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
1.58/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My girlfriend was nice enough to bring home some beer with her on Friday, and I have to say I was excited when I saw it was a beer I'd never tried. She's getting into saisons, so she was pleased to see a "farmhouse ale" at the local corner store.

We popped a couple open, poured them into pint glasses, and realized we were in for some trouble.

This beer may be many things, but it is not a farmhouse ale. It smells like a bad Euro lager and tastes like malt liquor mixed with a little lemon juice. The aftertaste is awful, with a slick chemical profile. The last 5 ounces or so went down the drain.

I wasn't at all shocked when I logged on to BA to find it had a D+ rating.

I'd take an ice cold Bud over this any day of the week. An absolute wreck of a beer, and I can see those other 6 bottles sitting in my fridge for a long, long, time.

3.93/5  rDev +67.9%

Consumed in a: Pilsener pint glass

After buying this beer, which caught my eye (as is the case with most people it seems) with the whole 8-to-a-pack-thing, I immediately looked online to see what others had to say (as I usually do). To my disappointment, it seemed everybody was bashing it. How could it possibly be that good with hardly anyone recommending it? But, after trying it a few times as objectively as possibly, I must say I disagree with the "haters". Yeah, it's not a "true" Farmhouse ale and doesn't taste like one. So? Beer Advocate says not to judge against inherent qualities of beers. What about the flipside? Why should beers be confided so rigidly into categories? Call it false advertising, but don't let it have any effect on your perception of what it actually is. This beer isn't amazing, but it's got a taste I can really dig, with the mix of sweet and sour, with the bold effervecensce washing away any strong aftertaste. Great summer evening brew.

Appearance - Pours well, a slightly hazy golden froth. Decent lacing and head retention. Must be loaded with CO2, as there's an awful lot of bubble action going on here.

Smell - Actually fairly complex. Notes of dirty gym socks, white chocolate, faint toffee, lemon and butter. It's got a pretty unique sour aroma to it...not vinegary sour like a lambic, but, as I said, more of a sweaty funk type sour. Not for everyone.

Taste - More pronounced lemon/citrus flavors, with a slightly metallic taste. Did this sit in the vat too long? Oh well, it's not THAT offensive.
Taste isn't as complex, interesting or good as the aroma, but still very much palatable to me personally.

Mouthfeel - Not so impressive. Pretty "blah" and watery and WAY too much carbonation for most people (I personally like the amount of carbonation, as it slows me down for one thing. This beer is so light and agreeably tasty to me that I'd probably find myself pounding it much quicker than I should be. With this much carbonation, my stomach won't let me. Also, I love the burps that come from interestingly tasty, highly-carbonated beers.) Still, could use some body to it.

Drinkability - Overall, this is something I could get into on a fairly regular basis (during the summer/fall at least). Aside from the gassyness provided by the carbonation, not too filling. Would be a great session beer if it had just a tad less alcohol.

2.08/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours hazy pale gold with a slight head that quickly dissapears.

Aroma is wheaty pale malt and a sour vegetal quality. No spices. This can't be a Saison.

Taste is exactly what the nose described. Sweetly tart and then sour. A bit of lemon and apple, and a light crispness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a syrupy medium body.

Why do they call this a Farmhouse Ale? A little more flavor than a typical macro, but falls far, far short of the style.

Bottle, label as above, from an 8 pack. Looked interesting, trying not to let any bias show.
It pours a pale, yellow-brown color. Starts with a bubbly head that disappears, no retention and no lacing. Very hazy, no cloudy, lots of thick sediment at the bottom. Vegetable and slightly sour smell. Same cooked vegetable (cabbage?) in the taste. Got a butterscotch and metallic aftertaste. It has some weird funkiness to it - but not a saison-type funk. No spice/pepperyness or yeast like I was expecting/hoping for. Fizzy mouthfeel, highly carbonated yet thin and watery, and still cloyingly sweet (adjuncts?). Had a hard time finishing this one, got worse as it warmed up.

1.55/5  rDev -33.8%

A: Cloudy, yellow, weak farmhouse ale look, Over carbonation (way to much), small head if any.

S: Fruity citrus and a sour smell.

T: This was nothing like a farmhouse ale and tasted more like a Miller Lite/ Schmit's mass production American Pilsner...even my wife said this tasted like a Miller (bad college flash back)! I had a hard time drinking this and i bought a 6 pack of Flying Dog Garde Dog which is a true French farmhouse ale at the same time. The packing and the writing on the the 8 pack fooled me (wish i had a smart phone to look this beer up here at the beer store first).

M: Over carbonation with not much of any taste,

D: Never again...!

2.15/5  rDev -8.1%

I was excited to try my first Farmhouse Ale, but it became clear after the first sip that Lazy Mutt was not the best choice. I was definitely swayed by the 8-for-the-price-of-6 marketing, but now I understand that they need that kind of advertising if they want anyone to purchase this beer.

A - An uninteresting cloudy yellow body with a very small bubbly head.

S - Slightly sour and unimpressive citrus aroma. Very simple and somewhat stale.

T - The first thing I am inclined to note about the taste of this beer is the overwhelmingly sour, metallic aftertaste that sticks with you for a good while. It's not at all what I expected. And for how sweet it goes in, the following bitterness is a bit much.

M - Crisp, light and watery with little carbonation.

D - Awful. The sour, metallic aftertaste overwhelms every other aspect of the beer. I was expecting a lot more and am sitting here after only two bottles, ridiculously disappointed and almost unwilling to drink any more of the eight pack. I'd honestly drink a piss beer like Nati Light before I'd pay for this "Farmhouse Ale" again.

3.1/5  rDev +32.5%

Reviewed 11-06-09

Served from a bottle to a glass cold

A - pale yellow color, decent carbonation though not 1 finger of foam, what foam was there dispersed rather quickly

S - Sweet fruity smell couldn't catch a lot of hops or malt

T - light/medium bodied, noticeable hop flavor, didn't notice much in the malt category

M/D - This was #3 in the 4 pack sampler. It is a drinkable brew, sweet tasting not too overpowering but wasn't my favorite. Right now I'm leaning towards not purchasing the pack again just for the 2 brews I liked.

2.68/5  rDev +14.5%

330 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Pale white head, light and fluffy, 2 cm off the pour, but recedes quickly to a smattering of bubbles. Beer is a golden color, pristine.

S-Slight fruity nuance over a bready-sweet malt. Slightly ripe and sour fruity character.

T-Bready-sweet malts, slight fruitiness. Finishes dull and damp. No bitterness or balancing character.

M-Medium-light body, a bit flabby. Medium carbonation, neither good nor bad.

D-Drinkable due to its relatively bland flavor profile, but it's not a great beer, which certainly detracts from its drinkability.

3.43/5  rDev +46.6%

Given that this is one of the lowest rated craft brews on any beer rating site, I'm a little disappointed at how good it is! I was excited to find a horrible train wreck, something that would make me wretch, but it's actually not bad. Maybe they've cleaned it up? (It's certainly not as yeasty as the one pictured on the site; that had to have come out of someone not knowing how to do a bottling run for this kind of beer).

But firstly, YES, it is clearly not a Saison. I'm just looking at it for what it is, and not trying to peg it into any style category. So...

It exhibited good head retention, holding a solid cap (it was thin in the middle, but it was still solid) throughout most of the glass, and it left some very nice lace behind as well. It's obviously unfiltered, and maybe that's why they've labeled it "farmhouse ale". Nice golden color.

The aroma is lacking, expressing only basic maltiness, yeast, and a bit of apple-like yeasty fruitiness. And I could see how some might find the actual yeast a bit offensive, but I don't. It's a little boring, and some hops would be great, but it's clean so I can't really fault it.

The flavor is basically the same as the aroma, although there's also a bit of grape-like flavor. The malt is basic, and although some have cried "adjunct!", I find a clear note of grainy malt to it. It's mildly bitter, and the slight tartness of the yeast helps to balance it. Again, some hops would be nice but I only get a minor touch of floral and spice, and I think the spice is from actualy spice, and not hops. Who knows? Still, it finishes dry, and not sticky, so who am I to complain?

So what is left? What's so horrible about this beer? Well, nothing really. It's medium-light in body and crisp. And it's drinkable. What they're obviously going for, based on what's written on the label, is "volume" drinkability. It reads "... It means that on Sunday, when you have two things on your mind: where to sit and what to watch, we'll be right there with you". So, OK, a football beer. Is this any worse than chilling with a crisp, cool can of Coor's Light? Certainly not. "Farmhouse Ale" isn't a very good label for this beer, but I can see where they're coming from given the customer they're pitching this to. But really, beyond that, it's not a bad basic beer.

1.88/5  rDev -19.7%

8 bottles for the price of 6? Sounds good. The label looks pretty decent. And it's a full cooler over from the discount beer. Maybe the 8-for-the-price-of-6 thing is just a marketing gimmick to help this catch on, after all, I've never seen it until now.

Alas, upon getting the stuff home, I realized that this is a Minhas brew. Not a good sign.

Still, I was willing to give it a try. They'd obviously put a lot more effort in to packaging this stuff than they did with other Minhas brews I've seen, so maybe they'd put extra effort into the beer itself, too.

Not so much.

First of all, I find it very hard to accept that this is a saison. It's an adjunct-filled lager, as far as I can tell.

It pours a pale straw colour with a small, bubbly head that has no retention and no lacing. It also looks a little bit cloudy. I first worried that it was an off bottle. But, given how many of the other reviews here commented on it being hazy, I fear that this is just how the stuff looks.

Unfortunately, that means that the terrible smell and taste of the beer isn't the result of an off bottle, either.

Smell is that of cooked vegetables. Rather, it's the smell of the water that's left over after you finish boiling some vegetables. It's a faint, but unpleasant aroma.

The taste is just awful. If we're going to pretend that this is a saison, then it is truly the worst saison that I've ever tasted. It tastes disturbingly similar to Colt 45...full of adjuncts and brewers' sugar. There's also a strange citrus-y, metallic taste that lingers on the tongue. The more it warms up, the worse it gets. It is not pleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated. It's probably because of the metallic after taste, but for some reason I want to describe the mouthfeel as that of chewing on tinfoil.

Drinkability is mediocre. I could probably down a few of these on a really hot day if they were ice cold, but even for lawn mower beer, this wouldn't be my first choice.

I can't imagine ever buying this stuff again. Even as far as discount beers go, this stuff is terrible.

2.33/5  rDev -0.4%

11.16 (?) oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip. "Union Made" seems the only thing they deem necessary to say on the bottle - No date.

A - Brilliantly clear and active golden honey with an effervescent and low white head. Little retention and only a ring left in under a minute. No lacing.

S - Immediately smells like a poorly crafted adjunct lager. Sweet cooked corn overpowers the aroma with pale malt being an afterthought. No hops here. Incredibly mild light spiciness.

T - Pale malts and dry straw with the same cooked corn and a minor sweetness come across the palate. Not as adjunct in nature as the aroma let on to be but certainly not resembling of a farmhouse ale. Very mild spice flavor.

M - Smooth but well carbonated with a light bite to the finish. Medium-light in body and somewhat slick across the tongue.

D - While this beer isn't awful it doesn't resemble a farmhouse ale in the least. It's more of an MGD's younger, slightly more flavorful brother. It's drinkable for what it is though. I'm glad I didn't pick up the 8 pack of it, that's for sure.

2.1/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Initially impressed with the 8 bottles offered for the price of 6, and the catchy name and fancy red label but this beer turned out to be hit or miss-4 of the bottles exhibited a certain metallic taste, most often associated with canned beer sitting in there too long. Its appearance was somewhat pleasing, dark golden color with very little head and no lacing, heavy carbonation, but the slight bitterness was immediately lost in the metallic taste. I have been taught to drink an entire beer before giving a review but I had to pour it out into the garden about 3/4 of the way through. Overall disappointed and and would not recommned it to anyone.

2.08/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Pours a light, pale yellow body with a real thin, white head. Even some energetic glass swirling can't seem to awaken it. Ah well.

Smell: Light, dull maltiness with some near non-existent floral hints. Then, there's the butter. Yes, friends, butter. A real "what have I gotten myself into" aroma.

Taste: Light pale maltiness with some sweet cereal hints with, to my extreme dismay, a taste of unsalted butter hot on its heels. Where one might look for some pleasant fruity esters, you'll find only odd, unnatural vegetal hints. Faint floral hops with a low, low, low bitterness. Then, sadly, it's back to the pat of butter until the vaguely sweetish finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Low carbonation. Limp, thin mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Bad dog! Very VERY Bad dog! That's right, Lazy Mutt, look ashamed! A beer to steer well clear of.

2.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a tulip glass when I saw it on sale for $1.39 per bottle , figured maybe it was my lucky day. Sadly, it was $1.39 for a reason.

A - Hazy, very little head, color is like a badly fermented homebrew

S - Not a lot of smell, there is some sweet dried fruit and also table sugar.

T - Almost has a corn flavor, maybe it's butterscotch. Overall, I see where it is headed towards a farmhouse ale, but it just isn't particularly good.

M - Very weak mouthfeel, a bit of carbonation, but again...not much here.

D - Far better in style available, I would skip the lazy mutt.

2.83/5  rDev +20.9%

Lots of carbonation, no head or lacing. The color is a hazy yellow. The smells coming from this beer are no different than your traditional macro brew, disappointing to say the least. There is a light berry taste going on up front along with a corn-like sweetness. The flavor escapes almost immediately with each swallow. The flavor is fairly watered down. I would drink this again, but I wouldn't want to pay money for it.

2.58/5  rDev +10.3%

Hmmm... not that great. Got this a while back. Poured with some head and no lace. Most of the head dissipated soon thereafter. Aroma was a little sour, yet fruity, and yeasty. Color is a hazy orangey amber. Flavor is odd: Sweet and fruity in the background with sour on the tongue and some bitterness in there, mainly from the yeastoids. Body is a little oily. Finish is an extension of those flavors. Label says "Union Made" - if I were them, I'd ask to take that off.

2.65/5  rDev +13.2%

11.16oz brown bottle ... why not the standard 12oz bottle? No freshness date.

Hazed straw yellow color, hazed due to the yeast in the bottle. Decent lacing with credit due to the very active carbonation. Aromas of white chocolate, lemon zest and a cracker graininess. Very crisp, deep enough which adds a refreshing character upfront. Vague lemon oil, wild flower and clean graininess are the stronger characteristics. Hops are modest with a small bitterness. A little spicy middle to end with more lemon zest flavor. Semi-dry finish with a nearly clean after taste.

Not sure what to make of this one, very non-conventional for the style. Simply tastes like a spicy crisp summer seasonal blonde ale with lemon flavor. Did they really mean to put "Farmhouse Ale" on the label.

2.3/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a frosty golden orange with no head. Smells sweet (in a bad way) and sour (in a worse way). Something like sour apricots with musty and metallic elements... What do we have here? Hmm. The sweetness is rather sad, lonely, and flat...rather like that of a Bud Light or something. Once that's gone, though it fades interestingly into a sweet tobacco aftertaste (which I rather like). Carbonation really rips up the mouth!
Bud does a very citrusy wheat beer and jacks up the carbonation, basically. A bastardization of my favorite style. Boo.

3.08/5  rDev +31.6%

8 pack at the price of a 6 pack? Hell yeah.

Why, oh god why, would they try to market this as a Saison? This is no Saison. This is an Adjunct in the spirits of Grain Belt.

So... as a Saison? F. Total, complete, absolute F.

As an Adjunct? Hey not bad. 8 for 6, I could bring this to BMC drinkers, I could cook with it... another non-BMC to add to my Grain Belt, Pigs Eye, PBR list.

3.33/5  rDev +42.3%

12 oz bottle from the probably gimmicky 8 pack

A - Pours a very clear filtered golden color. Head formation is off-white, quickly formed into about a 1mm setup, and then broke down to a film. Light amount of carbonation is obvious.

S - I'd say the overall very light aroma is a yeast note. In general a disappointing nose.

T - Starts off with a light creamy flavor. Moves to find some bitterness, but is still completely a malt forward beer. No hops whatsoever. Finishes with a sweetness and a grainy hit from an adjunct of some kind. I'm guessing rice.

M - Moderate to thin mouthfeel. Little carbonation bite and no filming on the mouth to speak of.

D - This beer is the definition of drinkability to me. I can drink this thing so easily, it is probably a good thing it comes in 8 packs. ABV is low - weight on the palette is light.

I submit this beer is misclassified. I don't believe this is intended to be a saison, regardless of the label. I'm guessing this is intended to be a macro adjunct or some kind, or probably more accurately a cream ale. My guess is that Minhas saw an opportunity to replicate Spotted Cow outside of the New Glarus territory. Under those terms, I find this beer to be a very serviceable addition to a beer rotation.

3.15/5  rDev +34.6%

If the intent of Minhas Craft Brewery was to make a "macrobrew" to compete with the likes of Coors/Miller/AB on a beer-seller's shelf, this beer certainly does well in that sort of taste arena, as this otherwise uninspiring and easily drinkable brew certainly fits into this sort of genre. If your idea of drinking a good beer is Miller/Bud Lite/MGD/Corona/Rolling Rock/Busch/Coors, etc, then you likely will be happy--or at least unoffended--with the contents of this bottle. Drinkers of otherwise "cheap" beer (Keystone, Milwaukee's Best/"The Beast"/PBR, etc. in a can) will be best advised to drink these bottles first (aka "drink the better-tasting swill first to catch your buzz before drinking the hasher-tasting stuff").

The carbonation is OK, and the flavor is not too hoppy and a bit water'ish. The aroma is mild-to-not-existent.; and I did not "waste time" on pouring these into a glass for full enjoyment, choosing to try them straight from the non-twisting capped bottles. These go down easily, like gatorade does on the sidelines of a football game or like water does in a workout room. If priced well "by the keg," I could see this beer becoming a college-party favorite due to its less-harsh/almost "malternative" taste, which would do well against a harsher Busch, etc.

On the other hand, I was expecting a LOT more and a LOT better from this brewery, having consumed Huber Bock and most of the Berghoff line (which are presently made at the same brewery, which otherwise seems to make a decent "mainsteram microbrew styled" beer in general from other Huber-made brews I've had the opportunity to sample). I was unimpressed with the bottle contents, as the packaging (a "Union Made" _genius_ "8 pack" in a 6/12/24 pack world) of Lazy Mutt looked as if it would be something much better inside of the bottles than it indeed was. C'mon Minhas--I KNOW that you can do _much_ better than this. That said, I'm not going to pour my remaining bottles of this down the drain, but it certainly will not be my first-choice when going to a store and looking to buy beer (unless there are ONLY Miller/AB/Coors' "mainline" beers from which to choose; if the Amber Bock or similar choices are available, then all bets are off in this sort of situation).

But a "Farmhouse Ale?" Only if your definition of "farmhouse" is from behind which you once would sneak beers from "your old man's 'stash'" as a kid. And this one is indeed better tasting than those cans were, but is not nearly as good as I'd _expect_ a beer (esp. one called a "farmhouse ale") from Minhas to be. I hope that this beer is not a sign of future flavors to come from the brewery in Monroe, WI, as they are able to do a LOT better than this (and do some contract-brewing MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than this).

1.25/5  rDev -46.6%

Jeez, I don't know what to say. I feel like a was a volunteer in a cruel medical experiment. I picked it up because it had a great gimmick, an eight pack for a six pack price. Sounded good at the time but now I have to dump out seven beers instead of five.

Poured into a pint, really cloudy, like unfiltered apple juice.
I thought at first that it was tainted or rotten, but after reading the other reviews it appears that it's just really terrible. Not much more to say about it, avoid at all cost.

1.73/5  rDev -26.1%

A- This pours a slightly hazy light ginger ale color. And I hate to say this but it looks like how piss looks when your sick. I couldn't believe it but this is the only beer I've had where there was a minimal head upon pouring that disappeared into literally nothing! There is no foam, no ring, not even a single bubble sitting on top of the liquid. There is no lacing to speak of and overall this just looks like flat ginger ale that's somewhat cloudy!

S- I didn't read anybody's review before trying this and the first thing that comes to my mind was a sour apple scent with lemon juice mixed in....kind of a citrus smell but not in a good way!

T- Again, I taste some apples, a little sweeter than the aroma leads on and at least I don't taste the citrus notes here. Maybe a little bit of malt as well but no hop bitterness is detectable. There is also a yeasty backround noticable here as well.

M- Fizzy and watery about sums it up...again...it's like drinking a carbonated version of a frozen apple juice where too much water has been added.

D- Sorry, but I'm glad my friend bought this 8 pack and not me...no wonder after we each had one that he didn't care about taking the rest home with him. I wouldn't recommend this one and I'm sure it will take awhile for me to finish off the rest of these that are in my fridge, if I don't give them away first! Not a good beer in my opinion.

2.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

pours out really budweiser clear with just a tad of white suds.
Smell is slightly spicey with a very little hint of yeast. Not much going on here.
Taste is a little sweet with a clove-like cinnamony flavor. Very little else happening.
Mouthfeel is very clean, almost too clean. Not a lot to feel really.
Drinkability is great if the taste had been a bit better.
Too watery for my tastes.

2.08/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance - pours a pale apple juice or white grape juice color. A thin watery head melts away like November snow. There is a thin collar that hangs around, but a lackluster opening for the most part.

Aroma - a malt liquor, stale apple juice smell. Not terribly bad, but not exciting either.

Taste - weak, beery apple juice. A touch sweet upfront, a trace of bitterness post-swallow, nothing more. Meh.

Mouthfeel - crisp, light body, a touch smooth. The only redeeming part of the beer.

Drinkability - even for a style that doesn't ring my beer bell, this isn't what I thought it would or should be.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale from Minhas Craft Brewery