Simpler Times Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: blackie on 10-11-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Simpler Times Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 339 | Reviews: 194
4.75/5  rDev +66.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Yellow body and good head.

Sm ell: Smell likes and malt with a blend of light hop aroma.

Taste: Crisp and clean with a sweet malty flavor and small amount oft bitterness at the end.

Moutful: Slightly thicker than expected given the lightness of color and clarity.

Overall: For around 4 dollar a six pack at traders joes beats the other beers at higher price point. At 6.2% AB this will give you some kick. This is a great session beeer. I will sure buy some more of this beer !

4.54/5  rDev +59.3%

A - Nice think pour to a golden body. The head is white and stands about a half in tall before fading away at a medium pace.

S - The scent is firm and malt with a hint of orange and alcohol.

T - This lager is very good. The flavor is well rounded with spectacular malts.

M - The feel starts out a bit coarse but quickly levels and spreads in a soothing coat throughout my mouth. I really don't know of a way this feel could be better.

~ I'm obviously very impressed with this brew. I beleive it to be the best all around lager I've ever had the luxury to enjoy. My thanks to my hard working, intelligent and of course beautiful wife.

4.37/5  rDev +53.3%

Poured from 12oz can into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Clear, pale straw color with a fairly large white head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind no lace.

Smell: Sweet apple is predominant, along with butter and grains.

Taste: Begins with a sweet buttery flavor, finishing with sweet/tart green apple. The finish also reveals mild grainy flavors and very very slight hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Light body with crisp carbonation and a very clean, refreshing finish.

Drinkability: As an overall beer, this is largely average. However, this is an adjunct lager and, unlike most adjunct lager, this one has a decent amount of flavor (I especially like the tartness at the end). This is a very easy drinker, it's extremely refreshing, and it's dirt cheap. At only $3.99 for a sixer here in NYC, it's well worth having around. With a 6.5% ABV, this also packs a decent punch.

Again, not necessarily a great as an overall beer, but this is excellent for its style.

4.13/5  rDev +44.9%

I think this is excellent for the style. Is it the best beer ever - No. Is it the best American style lager .. maybe.

Pours a dark gold with a stark white head. If anything it is a little too dark for the style.

Aroma is grainy, a nice lager aroma. Clean, grain, if this was a blind tasting I might guess Hellesbock.

The taste is what I expected from the aroma. Clean, grainy, there is some hop presence and the finish is sweet.

Full bodied for the style. Finishes sweet. A bit too big, and definitely too sweet for the style.

It doesn't quite hit the styl. But thats because it is a little bigger and better in each category. Plus I think a 6 pack of cans was $4.
I can see myself buying a lot of this for summer BBQs and yardwork.

3.88/5  rDev +36.1%

A: Golden yellow body that poured watery creating a temporary foam of large carbonation bubbles that dissipated quickly.

A: Slightly metallic with a blend of light hop aroma.

T: Crisp and clean with a sweet malty flavor and slightest bitterness on the tail end.

M: Slightly thicker than expected given the lightness of color and clarity.

D: At 6.2% ABV, this is a winner in my book. Quite flavorful and a step up from the commercialized majors who dominate the market.

3.86/5  rDev +35.4%

Can time. Poured into a tulip to give it the illusion of quality. Beer is yellow and forms a nice head with lacing, moderately carbonated and completely clear. Looks nice.

Aroma is weak but sweet.

Beer is light in body and quite good. Its sweet and has an appropriate level of carbonation in the mouth. Finishes cleanly. Its a really good beer, seriously. If I had to have an American Adjunct lager, this would probably be it.

3.85/5  rDev +35.1%

12oz can purchased at Trader Joe's in Portland, ME. Pours a yellow body with a half inch of short-lived off-white head. Smells very bready with just the slightest hint of cooked vegetable. Bready flavor with very little else going on, maybe some yeasty or DMS notes but only ever so slightly. Clean finish. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with ample carbonation. Wow. Middle of the road, sure. Simple enough. But refreshing and the pleasant bready flavor with little else competing with it sets this beer apart. I would definitely get this again. Really good.

3.83/5  rDev +34.4%

bought this beer at TJ's for $3.99 for a sixer...cans.

poured the beer out into a tall beer glass. lots of carbonation initially produces a lot of head. color is dark amber.

smells like cereal or corn. not horrible.

tastes sweet on the onset...almost like malt liquor. can definately taste the corn everyone who has reviewed this is talking about. however it is easy to drink...for my taste anyway. i can see myself drinking quite a few of these.

it has a full mouthfeel for the style. not watered down at all.

good drinkability. it is smooth and you can't really taste the 6.2 % ABV.

overall, it is a great value at $3.99 for six cans. it is not the best beer but a great session beer at a fantastic price! nothing more, nothing less...

3.8/5  rDev +33.3%

Impulse Buy at Trader Joes, can's for $3.99. all in all... pretty delicious. as an Ale man, i find this little morsel quite delectable, and over many macros, rich. not much head to speak of, but i can get around that. a nice golden/amber look, but not much to mention. a reverberant taste, that sticks around, but doesn't overstays its welcome. a sterling brew. one of the better impulse buys, for me... but i don't want to speak too soon. at 6.2%, you can't wag you finger too much, and at the nice price, its a value beyond most. Simpler Times Lager, why not beer in a can. as far as drinkability, i could drink many of these, repeatedly. its nice that you can get the sixer in cans and after one, just loop them in your belt. a welcome change of pace for me, get them for a god price.

keep in mind, this is a lager, and it rates high in spite of the bias.

3.79/5  rDev +33%

Give this a try. This is significantly different than Budwiser, miller, coors, etc.. It has a pleasant honey like sweetness and tanginess that makes it really good. I think this is my new go-to.

3.78/5  rDev +32.6%

A: Deeper gold/honey color than is usual for the style. Fizzy thick head, but this quickly goes to nothing with no lace.

S: is pleasant and exactly like any other macro, light with malts and maybe a bit of corn.

T: at this price it is near perfect. Smooth easy drinking. There is not enough carbonation to offset the malt sweetness. There is a bit of 'pepper' I think from the alcohol but no heat.

M: full and rich, very nice and better than any other lager I've had.

D: The sweetness is a bit much, needs more carbonation.

All in all a winner.

Okay I'm not altering my initial impression, but on further tasting it reminds me of a plain old malt liqour. I must've been thirsty that day. closer to a C rating I guess, kind of an off taste.

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

bought a six pack of cans at trader joe's, craft beer in a can, who'd have thought. has a nice golden color, poured with a nice head, lasted a reasonable length of time. doesn't seem to have much aroma, faint cereal grain smell maybe. first taste was very mild, a little alcohol feel, light taste of hops, not bitter at all. further sips reinforced first impressions, light, crisp, smooth, pleasant after taste. seems like one of those beers that tastes best served cold and not lingered over. due to the 6.2% alcohol can't imagine this as a session beer but maybe for some people. have to savor the after taste more to see what flavors come out, maybe more grain, nutty, dry finish. but really I'm not much of a beer aficionado, but I am a beer advocate and I like this beer. I'll bet it would be nice in draft. will definitely drink again.

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

Poured into 12oz glass. Poured with a thick, white head of tight bubbles. Head lasted a little longer than I expected, but still dissipated in less than 2 minutes. Minimal lacing. A bright, clear, yellow color. Slightly grainy aroma. A crisp, clean flavor with nothing really standing out. Smooth body is typical for the style, to say, thin. Very drinkable. If you're in the mood for this style beer, this beer would be a great choice. This is what is called lawnmower beer, when you just need a quick refresher. A 6pack is only $4 at TJs so it'll be easy to keep a couple sixers around for your favorite BMC drinkers.

3.73/5  rDev +30.9%

I was pleasantly surprised after opening a can of this beer which
I bought at Trader Joes several months ago.

I was expecting a mediocre adjunct lager with a dull taste.

The beer poured an attractive light copper color with little head.

The smell was a very faint corn, but later changed to a nice fruit smell with warming.

The carbonation is mild.

The taste was surprising. Quite good. A vibrant light fruit taste which makes this a decent summer or light lager beer.

It's a decent beer and I agree with the Bros rating. Certainly better than the vast majority of the adjunct lagers available on the market. It's supposedly a craft beer as stated on the can- and I would agree.

3.73/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

clear yellow/gold with ephemeral white head.

Smells faintly of grain and maybe a bit of fruit.

Taste is sweet and bready. I can't really taste hops, but I can never taste the hops in this style, though it seems to be balanced. Surprisingly flavorful.

MF: Not as thin/fizzy as macros.

D: Great cheap lager. A six pack is only a few cents more than a PBR six pack or high life, and it's seemingly better. I'll have to do a blind tasting to be sure.

3.72/5  rDev +30.5%

A: Light yellow with few bubbles. Rather unassuming.

S: A little lemon-lime note but otherwise just a little yeast.

T: Actually a very nice flavor. It's light but there is a great citrus note that compliments the light yeast note. I mean nothing complex but in terms of a lager it's very nice.

M: Sits pretty good. Actually the alcohol comes through a bit but otherwise pretty nice.

For a lager it's pretty good. Could just a tad bit more hops but otherwise solid. Good flavor notes to compliment the light nature of the beer.

3.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume III, Issue II:

Canned beer still has too many myths tied around it: Sure, craft brewers are canning, but the typical lager in a can has been shunned by the new emerging beer snob.

Crystal-clear golden color, decent enough head retention to last the duration of this session. Not much to the aroma; very clean with only a hint of cereal. Very crisp and light bodied. Right off, the crispness is in the hop bitterness, which aims all of its sharpness at the malt. The malt comes off grainy but clean; grassy with a hint of animal feed grain and cereal grain. Faintly nutty and husky; clean and dry palate throughout. Small breath of alcohol. Dry almost all the way with a linger of the alcohol and cereal grain on the tongue.

Pedestrian? Sure, but that is what the style calls for, and where Minhas lands with its beer. Good balance, and just enough in the aftertaste to know you want more. We dig this beer. Even though it's 6.2-percent ABV, we'll tag it as a session lager LOL. We envision a pitcher of this beer and a plate of chili-filled nachos grande.

3.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale golden yellow with a white head with pretty good head retention.

Not much to the smell, maybe aluminum and some grain and yeast. But pretty decent aromas for a cheap can of beer.

Tastes of grass and wheat. Fairly crisp in the beginning, but there is some hop bitterness on the finish. Not bad. I would definitely pick up another sixer of this at Trader Joe's for the $2.99 price tag.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel. Very refreshing actually and very easy drinking.

Considering the price, this is a beer I'd revisit again for a lazy afternoon of watching tv.

3.68/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

considering the price, this is a very good beer. can get a little too sweet, but it works well as a cheap beer to enjoy casually. heavier and thicker on the palate than you would expect for this kind of beer. probably the best beer i've had for under $5/six

3.67/5  rDev +28.8%

Light, bubbly head.

Light amber/golden color.

Simpler Times Lager’s sweet aroma mirrors its taste. I like this beer a lot more than I thought I would. Generally I tend toward darker beers but this is one of the exceptions. Very smooth, sweet honey-like taste with no distinctive bitter bite you’d expect from such a light beer. It pairs well with a large range of foods, so you don’t have to worry too much whether the flavors will clash. It's also low enough in alcohol that you can appreciate the rest of your meal.

This is definitely not a complicated beer. Its flavor profile is fairly one-dimensional, but pleasant nonetheless. There are many beers out there that have more depth and character, but when considering its price category, it’s an outstanding value. It’s head and shoulders above anything else that’s this inexpensive.

In short, it’s a great value and I’d recommend it to anyone on a tight budget who appreciates quality beer.

3.65/5  rDev +28.1%

This is a great beer for the money, and it also very convenient because it comes in a can.

Appearance: Its an American Lager. I think you know what you are getting here.

Smell: See above.

Taste: It is a little on the sweet side, even for an American lager, but for the hooch that you are getting out of it....well worth it.

Overall: GREAT BANG FOR YOUR BUCK.

3.64/5  rDev +27.7%

12oz can with retro style

App: pure gold/dark straw with a frothy white head. perfect clarity

smell: sweet corn, a touch of honey an flowers

Taste: general malty sweetness. indistinguishable but pleasant. crisp clean aftertaste associated with corn adjuncts.

crisp mouthfeel with a bit of corny film

Highly drinkable, but the 6.5% might be hefty

A great beer for 67 cents a can. A good example of a well done american adjunct lager

3.62/5  rDev +27%

This review is with "style in mind".

Poured two cans worth into a gianormous mug.

A= Mostly translucent yellow with a tinge of orange. Thin white head. Minimal lacing (Am I putting too much thought into this?)

S= Grains and corn. A little bit sweet on the nose.

T= The expected.

M= Light bodied overall. Enough body to linger between bites of pizza.

D= Keep 'em coming. There is nothing objectionable here. Nothing heavy.

They probably were not allowed to call this brew any thing other than "Simpler Times". If you drink this, and don't reminisce of simpler times, you did something wrong in your teenage/collegiate years. I am ashamed to say I go back to my high school days. Man, were those simple beer drinking, hanging out, staying out late, killing brain cells (the weak ones) times or what? .50 cents a can is about what we paid then too. Thank T.J.!

3.58/5  rDev +25.6%

This can design brings to mind the beverages I see my grandpa drinking in old black-and-white photos. 'Simpler Times' is an appropriate name for an old school looking lager, the kind that would agree with the Good Old Boys at the VFW Hall, who all seem highly amused when I start raving about my new favorite fancy-smancy 'Sextuple RyeHopped Cocoa Cream IPA's' and 'Bottle Steam-Fermented Dopplepumpkin Snozzberry Lambics.'

"Kid, that ain't a beer. That's a dessert!," they chuckle. Then they buy me a Miller High Life and tell me to shutup-already-dammit.

It certainly looks like the classic Champagne of Beers on the pour. Bubbles dance in the crystal clear straw liquid, and the froth crackles like Rice Krispies when I hold it up to my ear. It has none of that tasty treat's stickiness, as the lacing slides right off the glass.

There's a bite of hops in the nose that's surrounded by a sweet smell of cool, Midwest tap water. (No, I don't use heavy narcotics; you just notice the pleasant odor of fresh water after going to countries where drinking from the faucet means permabonding your ass to a toilet bowl for the following week.)

At first it's malty and biscuty, like Fat Tire Amber minus the hops. After a second, I start craving KFC fried chicken. It's as greasy as the finest Southern cooking and a that's a damn good thing, believe me you sure 'nuff. The 6.2% ABV is pretty strong for this type of beer. I can't taste it. Or perhaps I'm a sad alcoholic already numbed to the pain.

Right when things seem great, a little bit of metal bites on the finish. The hops really try to fight it off, to no avail. I have to wait a while for the next sip. Fortunately, this beer actually tastes better when it's warmed up. That means I'll be consuming massive quantities of it this summer in the Ozarks--right before I fall out of my canoe and join the other drunk rednecks and empty beer cans floating behind me.

The VFW Hall would be proud.

3.58/5  rDev +25.6%

Utterly drinkable and forgettable light beer.

Looks nicer than a lot of craft beers in the glass-- or was I supposed to rate the appearance in the can? Lacing and everything. Quite malty, almost sweet. If you were in the late lamented Berghoff's in Chicago snarfing liver dumplings and roast pork, you'd say it was divine. I don't detect any actual hops, so for that you have to get the Pilsner version. But for thirst quenching it's fine, and give it a dose of IPA and you're in business.

Now if Huber can make this perfectly decent light lager to sell at TJs for $3.99 a six-- tell me how much the industro-brew factories are making on Keystone Light or Miller High Life.

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery