Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Simpler Times Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

Simpler Times LagerSimpler Times Lager

poor

good

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: blackie on 10-11-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Simpler Times Lager Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a - clear light amber with a 2 finger head. Yes, this $0.67 can is probably best guzzled straight but I went with my usual goblet.

s - standard lager with a decent sweetness. Maybe a tad heavy on the sulfur.

t - Nothing too overwhelming. Mostly sweet like apple juice with a backstop of bitter and sour. Crisp. A little nuttyness. If you aren't pausing between sips it would taste like water after a few seconds.

m - light body, carbonation is busy on the tongue but mostly disapates before the swallow.

d - Aims to be simple and drinkable. Succeeds at both. When I'm drinking a light beer a slightly sweet aftertaste is welcome. At this price I think I'd actually consider grabbing a case for a barbeque or a tailgate. Too bad it's only in 6-packs and I've only seen it at Trader Joes. (790 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +41%

I think this is excellent for the style. Is it the best beer ever - No. Is it the best American style lager .. maybe.

Pours a dark gold with a stark white head. If anything it is a little too dark for the style.

Aroma is grainy, a nice lager aroma. Clean, grain, if this was a blind tasting I might guess Hellesbock.

The taste is what I expected from the aroma. Clean, grainy, there is some hop presence and the finish is sweet.

Full bodied for the style. Finishes sweet. A bit too big, and definitely too sweet for the style.

It doesn't quite hit the styl. But thats because it is a little bigger and better in each category. Plus I think a 6 pack of cans was $4.
I can see myself buying a lot of this for summer BBQs and yardwork. (737 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Not terribly awful. Like others, I spotted this nicely-designed can in a local Trader Joe's. I poured into a glass, smelled, and tasted.

Tastes like hairspray. Second sip was better, but still not so great.

No mention of this beer on the Minhas Craft Brewery site. Odd?

I'll finish the six-pack, but will not buy more. (322 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -7.2%

Four bucks for a sixer of canned "craft" beer? How could I not pass that up? I'm cautiously optimistic.

It pours a clear straw golden color, with a good sized lemon-tinged foamy head, which doesn't last long and leaves zero lace. Here's where it gets interesting... what are the flecks of stuff in my glass!? There are several dozen or so small pieces of something that drift around and gradually sink to the bottom. I'm all for unfiltered beer, but this is a little weird to me. Are they remnants of pelletized hops? That's my best guess, except that's the biggest statement the hops make in the beer. (if I'm correct)

Aromas are pretty faint, some sweet, lagery beer nose going on, maybe a bit of fruitiness but I'm searching here.

Taste has more going on, but nowhere near my favorite craft lagers. Simpler times has a bit more oomph in the taste department than most macro lagers I've had... Sweet malts, possibly corn and bready in the middle. Mouthfeel is slick, with an almost medium body, but the finish is a little off. It's lacking much bittering, and ends with an almost soapy aftertaste.

Well, I can't fault the price, but there isn't much in this beer to come back to. I'll drink Full Sail's Session Lager or even PBR just about any day before this. (1,266 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

Spied at Trader Joe's. What the hell.

Pours a bright golden hue. Huge white foam head. Uh oh.

Smell is grainy and sweet. Uh oh.

Taste is actually more palatable than I though it would be. Yes, there is a grainy, cereal-y sweetness, but also a bit of nice lemon/citrus burn and a touch of hoppy bitterness to balance out the overly sweet malt base. Decently carbonated.

A notch or two above similar brews. (410 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

clear yellow/gold with ephemeral white head.

Smells faintly of grain and maybe a bit of fruit.

Taste is sweet and bready. I can't really taste hops, but I can never taste the hops in this style, though it seems to be balanced. Surprisingly flavorful.

MF: Not as thin/fizzy as macros.

D: Great cheap lager. A six pack is only a few cents more than a PBR six pack or high life, and it's seemingly better. I'll have to do a blind tasting to be sure. (450 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Clear yellow with a pure white inch thick cap of suds that fade quickly, but actually leaves some fine lace on the glass. Smells of creamed corn and not much else. Tastes like a stronger version of the typical adjunct macro lager but could easily be a malt liquor, sweet and highly carbonated but not a bad lawnmower beer for $3.99 a sixer. (340 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +28%

Poured into 12oz glass. Poured with a thick, white head of tight bubbles. Head lasted a little longer than I expected, but still dissipated in less than 2 minutes. Minimal lacing. A bright, clear, yellow color. Slightly grainy aroma. A crisp, clean flavor with nothing really standing out. Smooth body is typical for the style, to say, thin. Very drinkable. If you're in the mood for this style beer, this beer would be a great choice. This is what is called lawnmower beer, when you just need a quick refresher. A 6pack is only $4 at TJs so it'll be easy to keep a couple sixers around for your favorite BMC drinkers. (618 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a clear golden color with a ragged head that dies as quickly as it came.

Smells of grain and some corn.

Tastes of pale malts, graininess, and some corn thrown in.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. The carbonation is a good amount.

This is very drinkable.

This is a good alternative to any other adjunct lagers and I could see having this as a slow down beer when I am drinking bigger beers. (398 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I too found this at Trader Joe's for $3.99 a sixer and decided to give it a try. Pours a clear light straw color with a small fizzy white head. Hardly any retention and no lacing.

Smells very fruity, like apples. Acetaldehyde? I'm really not sure. The lager crispness that I was expecting is hiding in the background.

Very watery and light on the palate. That same sweet apple and banana fruitiness is very present in the taste. Bubblegum like flavors as well.

All in all, its an interesting beer but its a terrible example of the style. Way too many off-flavors. When I'm looking for a lager I want something thats clean, crisp, refreshing and very drinkable. This one just didn't cut it. (692 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +29.7%

Impulse Buy at Trader Joes, can's for $3.99. all in all... pretty delicious. as an Ale man, i find this little morsel quite delectable, and over many macros, rich. not much head to speak of, but i can get around that. a nice golden/amber look, but not much to mention. a reverberant taste, that sticks around, but doesn't overstays its welcome. a sterling brew. one of the better impulse buys, for me... but i don't want to speak too soon. at 6.2%, you can't wag you finger too much, and at the nice price, its a value beyond most. Simpler Times Lager, why not beer in a can. as far as drinkability, i could drink many of these, repeatedly. its nice that you can get the sixer in cans and after one, just loop them in your belt. a welcome change of pace for me, get them for a god price.

keep in mind, this is a lager, and it rates high in spite of the bias. (859 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +18.4%

I don't usually drink lagers (of any type, much less this type). But just yesterday I started looking around for some lagers to try. I happened upon a six-pack of these cans at Trader Joe's today and decided to give it a shot.

Clear, pale yellow pouring from the can, and a little bit darker than other lagers of this style. Doesn't look overly fizzy. The head is fluffy but disappears quickly. The smell is sweet and surprisingly good--no funk or skunk detectable at all. The taste is weak and somewhat watery (true to style), but there isn't anything bad / offensive about it at all--I'm pleased and even impressed. The mouthfeel is also thin (as per the style). Budweiser has been advertising for drinkability lately; if you're used to putting down a six-pack of Bud or Miller or some such beer during a football game, I think this is a better-tasting option; and the higher alcohol means you get more high per ounce; so I am marking this high for drinkability; I myself would get bored with it after one or two cans, so I'm not giving it a 5 there. (1,053 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours clear golden yellow. Decent head retention with a small amount of lacing.

Aroma of stale barroom which is about average for style.

Slightly sweet on the palate , with a slight metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light , carbonation is good.

An easy drinking brew that I'd put above most Macros. (303 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness date. Single purchased at Trader Joe's for $0.83.

A: Appealing honey-gold with 1.5 finger off white head that disappears quickly and leaves no lace.

S: Minimal aromas of cereal grain, corn, and noble hops

T: Flavor is not hefty with cereal grain sweetness followed by mild noble hops bite and not much else. Long metallic aftertaste is not a bonus.

M: Light-bodied and highly carbonated to give a clean feel. Nothing terrible or good here.

D: Without the metallic aftertaste, this would be a good value beer, but as it stands, I would not buy it again even for what little I paid. I would rather drink Miller High Life anytime and it is cheaper. (718 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +22.2%

This can design brings to mind the beverages I see my grandpa drinking in old black-and-white photos. 'Simpler Times' is an appropriate name for an old school looking lager, the kind that would agree with the Good Old Boys at the VFW Hall, who all seem highly amused when I start raving about my new favorite fancy-smancy 'Sextuple RyeHopped Cocoa Cream IPA's' and 'Bottle Steam-Fermented Dopplepumpkin Snozzberry Lambics.'

"Kid, that ain't a beer. That's a dessert!," they chuckle. Then they buy me a Miller High Life and tell me to shutup-already-dammit.

It certainly looks like the classic Champagne of Beers on the pour. Bubbles dance in the crystal clear straw liquid, and the froth crackles like Rice Krispies when I hold it up to my ear. It has none of that tasty treat's stickiness, as the lacing slides right off the glass.

There's a bite of hops in the nose that's surrounded by a sweet smell of cool, Midwest tap water. (No, I don't use heavy narcotics; you just notice the pleasant odor of fresh water after going to countries where drinking from the faucet means permabonding your ass to a toilet bowl for the following week.)

At first it's malty and biscuty, like Fat Tire Amber minus the hops. After a second, I start craving KFC fried chicken. It's as greasy as the finest Southern cooking and a that's a damn good thing, believe me you sure 'nuff. The 6.2% ABV is pretty strong for this type of beer. I can't taste it. Or perhaps I'm a sad alcoholic already numbed to the pain.

Right when things seem great, a little bit of metal bites on the finish. The hops really try to fight it off, to no avail. I have to wait a while for the next sip. Fortunately, this beer actually tastes better when it's warmed up. That means I'll be consuming massive quantities of it this summer in the Ozarks--right before I fall out of my canoe and join the other drunk rednecks and empty beer cans floating behind me.

The VFW Hall would be proud. (1,952 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

Purchased as a single, 12 oz. bottle from Trader Joe's. Brewed by the former Joseph Huber Brewing Co. in Monroe, Wisconsin.

A: Pours a pale golden color with a generous two-finger head that recedes within seconds. No visible lacing. Active carbonation.

S: Moderate floral hop nose; a hint of malt and not much else.

T: Clean and crisp with notes of pear and banana in the background. Somewhat grainy around the edges. Sweet, floral finish.

M: Light-bodied smoothness with moderate carbonation.

D: Easy drinking, to be sure. A decent lawnmower lager. Add this to your list of affordable, go-to, summertime pounders. (623 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a clear yellow with only slight head and no retention. There also wasn't any lacing present. Smells of adjunct in lager and especially sour ones at that. Fits the style. Tastes of adjuncts in lager with a strong sour aftertaste. Crisp body with quite a bit of carbonation. Got this at Trader Joe's and the price was very cheap. Overall, quite a bite to this lager and not very good at all. (395 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -16%

12 ounce bottle. Clear gold color with a nice white head albeit fizzy. Cereal grainy aroma with some generic sweetness. Flavor is grainy with banana and corn syrup. Very light, easy to pound. Cheap as hell, so I guess it is a decent alternative to macro swill or maybe it could be a summer barbecue beer but nothing I would ever really seek out. (345 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

Can from Trader Joe's - Cincinnati.

Poured clear pale color with an average frothy white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Moderate grass hop and grain aroma. Medium body with soft carbonation. Light to medium sweet flavor with a light sweet finish of short duration.

Simple, cheap and drinkable. (310 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From a can into a pint glass, pours a deep yellow/golden in color with a half inch white head. Retention is moderate and settles to a surface as a steady carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass.

Smell is of toasted rice and barley and somewhat sweet, reminiscent of an Island Lager. A notable malted barley nose, European to a degree in the hops/malt department.

Taste follows suit and offers a vibrant carbonation effervescence. Bit of orangey sweetness on the finish is unusual but decent.

Decent feel and drink, somewhat creamy in body given the malt base. A nice tasting simple lager that one is not likely to tire of. (632 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +29%

A: Deeper gold/honey color than is usual for the style. Fizzy thick head, but this quickly goes to nothing with no lace.

S: is pleasant and exactly like any other macro, light with malts and maybe a bit of corn.

T: at this price it is near perfect. Smooth easy drinking. There is not enough carbonation to offset the malt sweetness. There is a bit of 'pepper' I think from the alcohol but no heat.

M: full and rich, very nice and better than any other lager I've had.

D: The sweetness is a bit much, needs more carbonation.

All in all a winner.

Okay I'm not altering my initial impression, but on further tasting it reminds me of a plain old malt liqour. I must've been thirsty that day. closer to a C rating I guess, kind of an off taste. (746 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +54.9%

A - Nice think pour to a golden body. The head is white and stands about a half in tall before fading away at a medium pace.

S - The scent is firm and malt with a hint of orange and alcohol.

T - This lager is very good. The flavor is well rounded with spectacular malts.

M - The feel starts out a bit coarse but quickly levels and spreads in a soothing coat throughout my mouth. I really don't know of a way this feel could be better.

~ I'm obviously very impressed with this brew. I beleive it to be the best all around lager I've ever had the luxury to enjoy. My thanks to my hard working, intelligent and of course beautiful wife. (638 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. bottle purchased at my local Trader Joe's and sampled in a pint tumbler.

Appearance:
The color is pale yellow-gold and it is perfectly clear. The pour raises a clean white head composed of large-ish bubbles. Starts off about 1 finger high and vanishes in a couple minutes, leaving behind isolated and patchy collections of bubbles. Not even a foam collar around the edge remains.

Smell:
Not much to talk about here. A weak pale maltiness with a bit of corn. Plenty of sweetness, though it reminds me more of apple juice than malt. Minimal hop aroma combines with a bit of hot alcohol at the finish.

Taste:
Starts off with the apple juice sweetness that's prominent in the nose, then follows with a bit of caramel flavor in the middle. Goes a bit chalky/minerally at the end. There is a little more hop flavor than the nose suggests, but it still doesn't add up to much. Corn flavors come through in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Light body edging towards medium. There is definitely more heft to this than a standard American macro lager. (But hey, there has to be _something_ to it to get the ABV up above 6%.) The carbonation starts out rough but quiets down quickly.

Drinkability:
The higher-than-usual alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. There really aren't many clues that this beer clocks in at 6.2%. It strikes me as being too sweet for the style, and perhaps a bit too heavy as well. That said, it seems to be a decent value. There's nothing obviously bad about it, and for the price ($3.99 for a six) you could do a hell of a lot worse. (1,555 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +22.2%

App - pale gold color, brilliantly clear. Pours white head, moderate in size and with decent retention.

Aroma - Generally clean, a bit of a spicy/solventy aroma (almost seemed like alcohol). A bit of copper penny. Some malt, minimal hop.

Flav - Bland initially, but some solid hop bitterness kicks in midmouth. Finishes dry and slightly bitter, clean.

MF - Moderate carbonation and high carbonation. While not necessarily style inappropriate, the high carbonation is a bit astringent and detracts from the beer.

D'ability - slightly bland, but a clean and nicely bittered lager. A nice, big lawnmower beer for the money. (625 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

So I walk into Trader Joe's today and see a huge display of this totally never seen before brew at a ridiculously low price ($3.99/ 6 pack of cans, a dollar more for the same in bottles). Looks like our buddies at Minhas "Craft Brewery" are now contract brewing for TJ''s. I wasn't even planning on buying any beer, but for that price I'll change my plans. Simpler Times indeed. It would have to be awfully bad to not be worth that old fashioned price.

It doesn't look or smell like much. You've got a slightly noxious, over sweet nose on top of a basic, headless yellow body. The taste is similarly laden with unnatural sweeteners but there is a tiny bit of hop bitterness and a mellow caramel note to make this cheapie somewhat palatable. The carbonation could be toned back a bit. This isn't real good but it's significantly better than most macros and you can't beat that price. (884 characters)

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery