Simpler Times Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: blackie on 10-11-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Simpler Times Lager Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev +3.8%

Simpler Times..apprently had simpler beers. It's not bad, bit on the sweet side and not too much artificial flavours. Its just a "beer" what else can I say?
Its reasonably priced and a nice BBQ/grill out choice .
I wouldnt buy it for my own consumption but wouldnt turn my nose up either.

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz bottle. underside has "8262 73W0235". tasted in late april/early may 2009, alongside the canned version.

similar appearance, maybe creamier and more stable head, fading to a full ring. comparatively better lacing.

aroma has less sweet corn, more sulfurous notes.

taste has more metallic notes, with those same phenols and fusels, which linger and persist throughout.

feel is constantly astringent. the carbonation is less fizzy than the can, but that astringency... ugh...

3.15/5  rDev +9.8%

OK, people. This beer is $3.99 for a sixer in Manhattan. It's 6.2%. It tastes reasonably good. That said, it doesn't really taste like anything, somewhere between Bud and a malt liquor, but not as shitty as either. If you can't throw down for Brooklyn IPA sixer for $8.29, this is a hell of a bargain. It's cheaper than those Macros I won't even name that are too ungodly horrible to drink, and, although it's not on par with even a Saranac or Sam Adams, it still has a sliver of character enough to peek its head above the macros and malt liquors and proclaim itself King of Cheap Beers (except maybe Genesee Cream?).

Not sure why I wasn't informed about this beer sooner, as 2 buck Chuck has a huge following, but this beer is at least as good for what it is, although perhaps not as cheap as the more popular Joe's wine brand. Certainly not an embarrassment for a large gathering or for an after-the-good-beer situation, I was pleasantly surprised with this lager.

2.3/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a fizzy, off yellow sort of golden color with thin, tracing white head.
Smells like fresh, right out the can Budwiesser, very grainy.
Taste is fairly pedestrian, its a pretty grainy brew, like your favorite macro.
Finish is crisp, but it definitely gives me bitter beer face.
Drinks ok. and it's got a 6.2% which is a bit higher than average but it doesn't make it more drinkable than average.

2.55/5  rDev -11.1%

I don't consider myself too good to drink cheap beer. In fact, I've been know to store cold cans of PBR and Coors Light in the back of the fridge to break out for certain occasions. So when I saw 6-pks of a 6.2% ABV beer at Trader Joe's for $2.99, naturally I took advantage.

I drank from straight from the can, so smell and appearance meant nothing. My first impression tells it all: take a Budweiser and pour in a half shot of cheap vodka to boost the ABV, and that's pretty much what you've got here. To me, the beer seems like they tried to pack too much alcohol into it, and the empty, bitter aftertaste shows it. Not one I'd buy again, but if you're looking for a potent, yet cheap, brew for a day at the lake, it might be worth a look. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

3.53/5  rDev +23%

Nice buy at Trader Joe's, I believe it was $4 for a six pack, this beats the Big guys (Bud etc.) for sure.

Clear light straw with a 1 1/2 inch white head, dissapates in a minute or two.

Grassy, malty, and sweetness on the nose. Can't tell if it's an all malt or adjunct lager.

The taste underwhelms a bit, but has the good malty sweetness not over done.

A bit light and watery in the mouth, good carbonation, a little more body need to make it above average. Goes down well, especially for hot days in the sun, take this over any BMC. Good work Minhas.

2.9/5  rDev +1%

Clear golden with a large white head. No lacing to speak of. Smell is a corny. Taste is sweet corn, bread, yeasty, and a slight winey quality that I usually taste in malt liquors. Not anything special. From a brown bottle bought at Trader Joes. It's one redeeming quality is that it was cheap.

2.85/5  rDev -0.7%

At $2.99 a six pack at Trader Joes why not?

Aggressive pour from a can into an Imperial Pint glass. The frothy white head reached the brim of the glass and then disappeared nearly as fast as it formed without leaving a trace of it's once vibrant existance. The color is a crystal clear light golden one. Lots of carbonation up front, but if you're not pounding this one you'll wonder where it went.

Immediately after the pour I immersed my nose into the glass and got a sulfur lager yeast aroma which quickly faded to the sweetness of Iowa's number one crop...corn. Nothing special here, but not unpleasant either.

The taste is similar to the aroma...maybe just a hint of that sulfur lager taste, but maybe the aroma had something to do with that. The dominating taste is a corn sweetness, but there is a touch more hops in here than a typical macro to help balance out the sweetness.

Simpler Times leaves a sweet coating in your mouth that makes you want to rinse away with another drink from it which seems to only make matters worse. This situation is best avoided by drinking the beer fast.

Overall not bad for the price...definitely would pick this over most macros, but far from the top of my list. Drink this one cold and fast...just had my last sip after it has warmed a bit and it is definitely better cold.

I'm thinking this one could have gone a couple more gravity points lower before being sent out, b

3.43/5  rDev +19.5%

Nothing special, just a cheap macro-style beer from trader joes. I like the 6.2 kick, wow 3.99 what a deal. Not as tasty as narragansett, but the strength is an added bonus, especially when you don't want to drown yourself in cheap boring beer. A good choice when money is tight, much better than busch light.

3.03/5  rDev +5.6%

$2.99 a six-pack at Trader Joe's so you know it has to be good!

Ultra clear yellow beer with a tall white head.

Smell is malt and soda crackers with a decent noble hop scent. Mostly grassy and herbal hops with a slight lemon edge to it.

Starts out sweet with a faint hop flavor and a fairly big corn flavor right up front. Aftertaste is mostly sweet. Some cooked vegetable flavors here, but a hop bite too. Tastes like sweet Budweiser.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Not good, but not horrible either. Tastes a bit like fermentation was halted before the yeast used all the fermentable sugars. Not great but not awful either.

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

Simpler Times Brand Lager Beer pours a clear (I can see my fingerprints through the glass) deep gold body that teems with life as average-sized bubbles race upwards toward the creamy bright white cap. The elevated carbonation (around 2.75 volumes CO2/liter) helps to buoy the head, and it holds remarkably well but leaves little lacing about the glass.

The nose expresses some slightly husky grain, some lager-yeast sulphur, a spritz of sugar, a hit of floral and gently grassy hops, and some noticeably estery higher alcohols. It's not particularly off-putting, but it's certainly not welcoming.

In the mouth it's zesty with carbonation before warming to become creamy soft and smooth. Medium-light bodied. Delicately astringent in the finish.

The flavor follows the aroma to a T, with the exception that the alcohols are more pronounced. It becomes a bit perfumey, and it lingers in the finish. As it warms, the adjunct becomes more pronunced and it takes on a syrupy sweetness that combines with the floral/perfumey character of the hops and alcohol, and it just sticks in your mouth, cutting down on drinkability.

It's inexpensive, and it's got some alcohol to it, but it's poorly made. Skip it altogether; but just supposing all you want is a quick, cheap buzz, try a mass produced malt liquor instead.

Minhas, you can do better than this :(

3.53/5  rDev +23%

This beer is cheap at $3.99 a six pack at TJ's i just had to pick this up for a laugh.

The beer pours clear, straw yellow, small white head. Smells is light and floral.

First taste carbonation, as it clears away it has a nice creamy smooth mouth feel. It has the slight corny cereal sweetness taste you would expect, but it's much bigger than it's big brothers and more enjoyable, the hops are there you just can't taste them. I actually drank one of these over the weekend after mowing the lawn in 90f+ weather, i sucked that can down like a thirsty camel hit the spot perfectly.

Their is nothing complex or fancy about this beer, great cold on a hot day, probably one of the best in it's style.

2.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Grabbed a six pack of these at Trader Joe's for less than $4, figured I'd give it a shot.

Pours a bright and crystal clear gold color with a faint white head.

Faint nose, some sweetness, and not much else.

Taste is sweet, a little bit bready, grainy, and with a slight corn like flavor. Finish is crisp, with a mineral water like crispness.

Mouthfeel is quite thick, too much so for my liking. Kind of feels like a malt liquor.

Drinkability is ok, but this is a miss. To heavy feeling and tasting to be one I'd want to have again.

3.4/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shopping yesterday at Trader Joe's, found a lonely can on the 'singles' shelf. Priced at just $4.59/6-pack, the can was just 67 cents, worth a try IMO. 12 oz. poured to a pint glass.

A: Fairly typical, golden lager, perhaps a little deeper/richer than most. Pretty good carbonation, a number of random streams. Decent head, a fizzy 1/2 finger of whiteness, dissolving to a thin film and then a creamy ring. No lace.

S: Corn pop sweetness, pretty sugary. A little perfumed flower, honey-like. Pretty average, but not bad.

T: Rather sweet, but not overbearing. Enough peppery bittering to give balance and actually one of the most flavorful examples I can recall tasting of the style. I get a little wheaty spice, bubblegum and clove(?) - huh, wonder what yeast this is?

M: A bit heavier mouthfeel, due to a slightly higher alcohol level undoubtedly. Exceedingly smooth, with a vague carbonation prickle. Finishes rather sweet, trailing spices.

A: Pretty tasty, all in all. Wouldn't mind having this again - a good option for the budget-conscious macro-drinker.

3.4/5  rDev +18.5%

Purchased a six pack of cans for $3.99 at Trader Joe's in Creve Coeur, Missouri.

A- Poured into a pint glass, beer is a very bright golden with light carbonation and half a finger of head. Head disappears quickly leaving a small island of foam.

S- Not much of a bouquet to speak of.

T- First taste is malty sweetness. As the beer warms, I detect a bubblegum aftertaste similar to a Hefeweizen.

M- This is the fullest-bodied adjuct lager I've ever had. It's not extremely smooth but that's not a bad thing.

D- Most of the time when I drink macro brews, I find I have to drink them quickly because their taste deteriorates as it warms. This one gets better the longer it sits. This beer pleasantly surprised me and it is superior to any other macro brew I've had.

2.23/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow body with a very thin, white head.

Smell: Vague floral hop character conjoined with a tired malt and corn flake scent.

Taste: It's a cheap beer with a cheap taste. Cereal grains with a drizzle of sweet corn syrup. Vague floral hops with just a touch of bitterness, though not quite enough to balance, leaving you with a somewhat sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: Not recommended. Even for a simple lager, it's a below average, underperfomer.

2.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Picked up a sixer of this at Trader Joe's Midtown in Atlanta, GA. It was was 3 bucks a sixer, so why not? Served up in my Terrapin Pint glass.

A: Well it looks like a macro. Has a very light yellow color. It is incredibly light yellow. It did pour a finger or so of white foam off a moderate pour, impressive I suppose. Still, it had zero retention and falters to absolutely nothing a all. With that said, of course there is no lace sitting on the glass whatsoever. There is a pretty lazy carbonation bubble activity slowly working its way up the glass. Its pretty average for a macro.

S: Well me oh my, its a macro. Got a lot of sweet corn in here, I mean big time. The corn is a bit much. Then you get some grains, but mostly its all corn. Sugar and corn. Thats about it. Did I mention corn? I guess its pretty standard.

T: This is a bit below the ok line. This tastes like your standard macro, such as a Bud or Coors, with just quite a bit of salt added. Its not exactly appetizing. Lots of corn and sugar, then that salty sense. Uh . . . no.

M: Its light in body with a nice wateriness to it. Lots of carbonation makes this crisp and refreshing. The ABV is a bit higher than I expected and I am shocked that I would not be able to buy this in Alabama because it is a smooth over 6 percent lager. Aftertaste is that sugary corn.

D: Well, its not that great. That sugary sweet and salty taste really throws me off. Other than that its pretty average in every other category. Its a macro, its damn near water and its not dynamic whatsoever. I'll pass on this, give me a High Life.

2.13/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a clear straw color with almost no head whatsoever. Smells only of sweet adjuncts and fermented corn flakes. Not much malt presence in the nose. First sip is bland cereal and just a tad of hop bitterness. Not much positive aspects in this one. Simpler Times needs more complexity.

3.48/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a - clear light amber with a 2 finger head. Yes, this $0.67 can is probably best guzzled straight but I went with my usual goblet.

s - standard lager with a decent sweetness. Maybe a tad heavy on the sulfur.

t - Nothing too overwhelming. Mostly sweet like apple juice with a backstop of bitter and sour. Crisp. A little nuttyness. If you aren't pausing between sips it would taste like water after a few seconds.

m - light body, carbonation is busy on the tongue but mostly disapates before the swallow.

d - Aims to be simple and drinkable. Succeeds at both. When I'm drinking a light beer a slightly sweet aftertaste is welcome. At this price I think I'd actually consider grabbing a case for a barbeque or a tailgate. Too bad it's only in 6-packs and I've only seen it at Trader Joes.

4.13/5  rDev +43.9%

I think this is excellent for the style. Is it the best beer ever - No. Is it the best American style lager .. maybe.

Pours a dark gold with a stark white head. If anything it is a little too dark for the style.

Aroma is grainy, a nice lager aroma. Clean, grain, if this was a blind tasting I might guess Hellesbock.

The taste is what I expected from the aroma. Clean, grainy, there is some hop presence and the finish is sweet.

Full bodied for the style. Finishes sweet. A bit too big, and definitely too sweet for the style.

It doesn't quite hit the styl. But thats because it is a little bigger and better in each category. Plus I think a 6 pack of cans was $4.
I can see myself buying a lot of this for summer BBQs and yardwork.

2.35/5  rDev -18.1%

Not terribly awful. Like others, I spotted this nicely-designed can in a local Trader Joe's. I poured into a glass, smelled, and tasted.

Tastes like hairspray. Second sip was better, but still not so great.

No mention of this beer on the Minhas Craft Brewery site. Odd?

I'll finish the six-pack, but will not buy more.

2.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Four bucks for a sixer of canned "craft" beer? How could I not pass that up? I'm cautiously optimistic.

It pours a clear straw golden color, with a good sized lemon-tinged foamy head, which doesn't last long and leaves zero lace. Here's where it gets interesting... what are the flecks of stuff in my glass!? There are several dozen or so small pieces of something that drift around and gradually sink to the bottom. I'm all for unfiltered beer, but this is a little weird to me. Are they remnants of pelletized hops? That's my best guess, except that's the biggest statement the hops make in the beer. (if I'm correct)

Aromas are pretty faint, some sweet, lagery beer nose going on, maybe a bit of fruitiness but I'm searching here.

Taste has more going on, but nowhere near my favorite craft lagers. Simpler times has a bit more oomph in the taste department than most macro lagers I've had... Sweet malts, possibly corn and bready in the middle. Mouthfeel is slick, with an almost medium body, but the finish is a little off. It's lacking much bittering, and ends with an almost soapy aftertaste.

Well, I can't fault the price, but there isn't much in this beer to come back to. I'll drink Full Sail's Session Lager or even PBR just about any day before this.

2.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Spied at Trader Joe's. What the hell.

Pours a bright golden hue. Huge white foam head. Uh oh.

Smell is grainy and sweet. Uh oh.

Taste is actually more palatable than I though it would be. Yes, there is a grainy, cereal-y sweetness, but also a bit of nice lemon/citrus burn and a touch of hoppy bitterness to balance out the overly sweet malt base. Decently carbonated.

A notch or two above similar brews.

3.73/5  rDev +30%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

clear yellow/gold with ephemeral white head.

Smells faintly of grain and maybe a bit of fruit.

Taste is sweet and bready. I can't really taste hops, but I can never taste the hops in this style, though it seems to be balanced. Surprisingly flavorful.

MF: Not as thin/fizzy as macros.

D: Great cheap lager. A six pack is only a few cents more than a PBR six pack or high life, and it's seemingly better. I'll have to do a blind tasting to be sure.

3.33/5  rDev +16%

Clear yellow with a pure white inch thick cap of suds that fade quickly, but actually leaves some fine lace on the glass. Smells of creamed corn and not much else. Tastes like a stronger version of the typical adjunct macro lager but could easily be a malt liquor, sweet and highly carbonated but not a bad lawnmower beer for $3.99 a sixer.

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery