Simpler Times Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: blackie on 10-11-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Simpler Times Lager Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Picked up a 6 of this for dirt cheap from trader joes the other day. Pours like a fizzy yellow beer but I'm hoping this one's got a bit more to offer.

Smells heavily of corn with some sweetness. Tastes exactly the same. While this beer isn't awful I'm not a fan of american adjunct lagers in general.

Nonetheless, for the price I'd drink this again. It's better than coors or keystone that's for sure.

3.56/5  rDev +24.5%

Got a single can of this beer from Trader Joe's a few weeks ago. For $.67 a can I figured why not, how bad can it be, right? It ain't too shabby actually. Poured out of a 12 oz can into my pint glass. This beer pours a clear, medium golden color. White fluffy head is well over an inch thick when poured. Settles fairly quickly to a nice medium sized ring surrounding the inside of the glass along with spots of foam here and there on the surface. Good lacing. Sweet aromas of corn and some malt. Not terrible, but not very interesting either. Sweet and malty taste wiith some definite corn, maybe a bit of rice. No discernible hop flavor at all, well maybe a slight bit on the back of the tongue as the beer starts to warm. Crisp, swirly, smooth, light to medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in a nice way. This is like the American version of Baltika # 9 IMO, but the ABV here is not quite as high as it is for that beer. Not bad at all for the price I paid. Not something I'd go out of my way to drink again necessarily, but I'd take this over pretty much all American Macro BMC lagers any day.

Eric

3.83/5  rDev +33.9%

bought this beer at TJ's for $3.99 for a sixer...cans.

poured the beer out into a tall beer glass. lots of carbonation initially produces a lot of head. color is dark amber.

smells like cereal or corn. not horrible.

tastes sweet on the onset...almost like malt liquor. can definately taste the corn everyone who has reviewed this is talking about. however it is easy to drink...for my taste anyway. i can see myself drinking quite a few of these.

it has a full mouthfeel for the style. not watered down at all.

good drinkability. it is smooth and you can't really taste the 6.2 % ABV.

overall, it is a great value at $3.99 for six cans. it is not the best beer but a great session beer at a fantastic price! nothing more, nothing less...

3.15/5  rDev +10.1%

While I'm generally willing to totally crap on and dismiss light adjunct lagers, I'm surprised and somewhat amused that I don't hate this beer.

Disclosure: the last time I purchased light lager, American, adjunct, or otherwise, was probably when I lived in Central America and had little other choice than the various country versions of euro light lager. Part of why I like this beer okay is that it reminds me a lot of those beers, only better.

I only purchased it this time because we had a friend of a friend coming over to the house who I had been clearly told only likes light thin fizzy beers, and while I normally am willing to just tell them too bad, and offer them a mixed drink or wine, I had a nightmarish vision of him grudgingly pounding my (much more expensive) Victory Storm King and not appreciating it.

I try really hard to review and rate beers subject to their style, and so am rating based on that:

12 ounce can, $3.99 for a six pack at Trader Joe's, a screaming deal for a 6.2% beer that is at least drinkable.

Appearance: medium bright yellow, with a moderate off-white head that fades quickly. A more attractive color than many of its competitors in this category, so better than average.

Smell: damp grain, some light but sweetish corn, some fruit, but pretty limited aroma overall. I don't get the sulfury or DMS notes that some others mention (I wonder if sometimes you go looking for something, and then you're more likely to find it.)

Taste: sweetish American lager, with notes of corn and some faintly sweet fruit that I can't put my finger on. Lingers for a while, which is a little bit of a surprise. Maybe a little bit of grass. Again, not by any means my favorite style, but better than most of its category competition. Still, overall, just not that tasty, so not something I could rate above 3.0

Mouth: Distinct carbonation, slightly fizzy, and a little viscous (a bit of a surprise.) Enough carbonation and alcohol to make it slightly tingly, but not hot. Probably the best thing about it.

Drinkability: even though I'll likely never buy it again, even for drinking after bicycling in Hotlanta, it's surprisingly drinkable for what is probably my least favorite style. Still, I consider this rating "do I want to buy it and drink it", and I don't.

Interesting that if I were judging this using BJCP categories 1A or 1B, "strong flavors are a fault", and I would probably dink it a little for that.

3.06/5  rDev +7%

At one point in the CANQuest, I began to despair that I could crack 100, now there is no end in sight! CAN you believe it?!?

I liked the idea of this one as soon as I saw it on the shelf. 6.2 ABV in a CAN, from Monroe, WI where they had to understand Lagers. What a bummer to see that it is another Am. Adjunct. Don't we have enough of those floating around?

A finger of bone-white head that dissipated as quickly as I could pour. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was simple all right, simply cereal sweet. Bah! Mouthfeel was medium with the standard cereal sweetness on the tongue that is the trademark of such beers. It was not bad, per se, but it was not the type of lager that I was hoping for. Finish was semi-sweet. You know the drill. Ho hum.

2.38/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured a light to medium straw hue with a two finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured pure sweet corn.

The taste was upfront overly sweet adjunct malts witna slightly doughy finish.

The mouthfeel was full for the style.

Overall a heavy and sweet adjunct lager. Heavy ABV without the malt depth to support it. Difficult to drink.

2.96/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a big foamy white head that drops down to microwaved marshmellow shrapnel. From above the beer looks orange, from the side a beautiful urine yellow.

This smells like rice cakes taste, nothing.

Not too bad of a taste, kinda sweet. Kinda like carbonated sugar pops without any sugar.

This beer is complexingly confusing, not memento confusing, but Nick Nolte in Lorenzo's Oil confusing.

3.16/5  rDev +10.5%

It's impossible to have high expectations of a beer that runs this cheap; I'm ready to call it "good" as long as its taste is not repugnant. I was pleasantly surprised when it poured an attractive deep golden with a big white head that was held aloft by hyperactive carbonation. The smell and taste were nothing to cringe at: a bit of grainy and sugary sweetness and a touch alcohol. Nothing special but for 4 bucks I'm not about to complain. This lager promises to be average and keeps true to its word. The honesty of the "Simpler Times" ad is refreshing...so is the beer.

2.98/5  rDev +4.2%

WTF. 6.2% and $2.99/six pack! This stuff obviously isn't great. It's still better than Bud though and it doesn't even taste like Old English or anything. Tastes like corn which could be worse. If you're extremely broke, which I'm not too proud to admit can happen from time to time, and still want to drink some beers with your friends while you watch contact sports or pot humor movies than this is your beverage. Frat boys should consider picking this up instead of Key Light. More alcohol...cheaper...thought that could be considered slightly outside of the box.

2.97/5  rDev +3.8%

Simpler Times..apprently had simpler beers. It's not bad, bit on the sweet side and not too much artificial flavours. Its just a "beer" what else can I say?
Its reasonably priced and a nice BBQ/grill out choice .
I wouldnt buy it for my own consumption but wouldnt turn my nose up either.

2.96/5  rDev +3.5%

12oz bottle. underside has "8262 73W0235". tasted in late april/early may 2009, alongside the canned version.

similar appearance, maybe creamier and more stable head, fading to a full ring. comparatively better lacing.

aroma has less sweet corn, more sulfurous notes.

taste has more metallic notes, with those same phenols and fusels, which linger and persist throughout.

feel is constantly astringent. the carbonation is less fizzy than the can, but that astringency... ugh...

3.09/5  rDev +8%

OK, people. This beer is $3.99 for a sixer in Manhattan. It's 6.2%. It tastes reasonably good. That said, it doesn't really taste like anything, somewhere between Bud and a malt liquor, but not as shitty as either. If you can't throw down for Brooklyn IPA sixer for $8.29, this is a hell of a bargain. It's cheaper than those Macros I won't even name that are too ungodly horrible to drink, and, although it's not on par with even a Saranac or Sam Adams, it still has a sliver of character enough to peek its head above the macros and malt liquors and proclaim itself King of Cheap Beers (except maybe Genesee Cream?).

Not sure why I wasn't informed about this beer sooner, as 2 buck Chuck has a huge following, but this beer is at least as good for what it is, although perhaps not as cheap as the more popular Joe's wine brand. Certainly not an embarrassment for a large gathering or for an after-the-good-beer situation, I was pleasantly surprised with this lager.

2.31/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a fizzy, off yellow sort of golden color with thin, tracing white head.
Smells like fresh, right out the can Budwiesser, very grainy.
Taste is fairly pedestrian, its a pretty grainy brew, like your favorite macro.
Finish is crisp, but it definitely gives me bitter beer face.
Drinks ok. and it's got a 6.2% which is a bit higher than average but it doesn't make it more drinkable than average.

2.6/5  rDev -9.1%

I don't consider myself too good to drink cheap beer. In fact, I've been know to store cold cans of PBR and Coors Light in the back of the fridge to break out for certain occasions. So when I saw 6-pks of a 6.2% ABV beer at Trader Joe's for $2.99, naturally I took advantage.

I drank from straight from the can, so smell and appearance meant nothing. My first impression tells it all: take a Budweiser and pour in a half shot of cheap vodka to boost the ABV, and that's pretty much what you've got here. To me, the beer seems like they tried to pack too much alcohol into it, and the empty, bitter aftertaste shows it. Not one I'd buy again, but if you're looking for a potent, yet cheap, brew for a day at the lake, it might be worth a look. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

3.52/5  rDev +23.1%

Nice buy at Trader Joe's, I believe it was $4 for a six pack, this beats the Big guys (Bud etc.) for sure.

Clear light straw with a 1 1/2 inch white head, dissapates in a minute or two.

Grassy, malty, and sweetness on the nose. Can't tell if it's an all malt or adjunct lager.

The taste underwhelms a bit, but has the good malty sweetness not over done.

A bit light and watery in the mouth, good carbonation, a little more body need to make it above average. Goes down well, especially for hot days in the sun, take this over any BMC. Good work Minhas.

2.9/5  rDev +1.4%

Clear golden with a large white head. No lacing to speak of. Smell is a corny. Taste is sweet corn, bread, yeasty, and a slight winey quality that I usually taste in malt liquors. Not anything special. From a brown bottle bought at Trader Joes. It's one redeeming quality is that it was cheap.

2.84/5  rDev -0.7%

At $2.99 a six pack at Trader Joes why not?

Aggressive pour from a can into an Imperial Pint glass. The frothy white head reached the brim of the glass and then disappeared nearly as fast as it formed without leaving a trace of it's once vibrant existance. The color is a crystal clear light golden one. Lots of carbonation up front, but if you're not pounding this one you'll wonder where it went.

Immediately after the pour I immersed my nose into the glass and got a sulfur lager yeast aroma which quickly faded to the sweetness of Iowa's number one crop...corn. Nothing special here, but not unpleasant either.

The taste is similar to the aroma...maybe just a hint of that sulfur lager taste, but maybe the aroma had something to do with that. The dominating taste is a corn sweetness, but there is a touch more hops in here than a typical macro to help balance out the sweetness.

Simpler Times leaves a sweet coating in your mouth that makes you want to rinse away with another drink from it which seems to only make matters worse. This situation is best avoided by drinking the beer fast.

Overall not bad for the price...definitely would pick this over most macros, but far from the top of my list. Drink this one cold and fast...just had my last sip after it has warmed a bit and it is definitely better cold.

I'm thinking this one could have gone a couple more gravity points lower before being sent out, b

3.4/5  rDev +18.9%

Nothing special, just a cheap macro-style beer from trader joes. I like the 6.2 kick, wow 3.99 what a deal. Not as tasty as narragansett, but the strength is an added bonus, especially when you don't want to drown yourself in cheap boring beer. A good choice when money is tight, much better than busch light.

3.03/5  rDev +5.9%

$2.99 a six-pack at Trader Joe's so you know it has to be good!

Ultra clear yellow beer with a tall white head.

Smell is malt and soda crackers with a decent noble hop scent. Mostly grassy and herbal hops with a slight lemon edge to it.

Starts out sweet with a faint hop flavor and a fairly big corn flavor right up front. Aftertaste is mostly sweet. Some cooked vegetable flavors here, but a hop bite too. Tastes like sweet Budweiser.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Not good, but not horrible either. Tastes a bit like fermentation was halted before the yeast used all the fermentable sugars. Not great but not awful either.

2.96/5  rDev +3.5%

Simpler Times Brand Lager Beer pours a clear (I can see my fingerprints through the glass) deep gold body that teems with life as average-sized bubbles race upwards toward the creamy bright white cap. The elevated carbonation (around 2.75 volumes CO2/liter) helps to buoy the head, and it holds remarkably well but leaves little lacing about the glass.

The nose expresses some slightly husky grain, some lager-yeast sulphur, a spritz of sugar, a hit of floral and gently grassy hops, and some noticeably estery higher alcohols. It's not particularly off-putting, but it's certainly not welcoming.

In the mouth it's zesty with carbonation before warming to become creamy soft and smooth. Medium-light bodied. Delicately astringent in the finish.

The flavor follows the aroma to a T, with the exception that the alcohols are more pronounced. It becomes a bit perfumey, and it lingers in the finish. As it warms, the adjunct becomes more pronunced and it takes on a syrupy sweetness that combines with the floral/perfumey character of the hops and alcohol, and it just sticks in your mouth, cutting down on drinkability.

It's inexpensive, and it's got some alcohol to it, but it's poorly made. Skip it altogether; but just supposing all you want is a quick, cheap buzz, try a mass produced malt liquor instead.

Minhas, you can do better than this :(

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

This beer is cheap at $3.99 a six pack at TJ's i just had to pick this up for a laugh.

The beer pours clear, straw yellow, small white head. Smells is light and floral.

First taste carbonation, as it clears away it has a nice creamy smooth mouth feel. It has the slight corny cereal sweetness taste you would expect, but it's much bigger than it's big brothers and more enjoyable, the hops are there you just can't taste them. I actually drank one of these over the weekend after mowing the lawn in 90f+ weather, i sucked that can down like a thirsty camel hit the spot perfectly.

Their is nothing complex or fancy about this beer, great cold on a hot day, probably one of the best in it's style.

2.93/5  rDev +2.4%

Grabbed a six pack of these at Trader Joe's for less than $4, figured I'd give it a shot.

Pours a bright and crystal clear gold color with a faint white head.

Faint nose, some sweetness, and not much else.

Taste is sweet, a little bit bready, grainy, and with a slight corn like flavor. Finish is crisp, with a mineral water like crispness.

Mouthfeel is quite thick, too much so for my liking. Kind of feels like a malt liquor.

Drinkability is ok, but this is a miss. To heavy feeling and tasting to be one I'd want to have again.

3.38/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shopping yesterday at Trader Joe's, found a lonely can on the 'singles' shelf. Priced at just $4.59/6-pack, the can was just 67 cents, worth a try IMO. 12 oz. poured to a pint glass.

A: Fairly typical, golden lager, perhaps a little deeper/richer than most. Pretty good carbonation, a number of random streams. Decent head, a fizzy 1/2 finger of whiteness, dissolving to a thin film and then a creamy ring. No lace.

S: Corn pop sweetness, pretty sugary. A little perfumed flower, honey-like. Pretty average, but not bad.

T: Rather sweet, but not overbearing. Enough peppery bittering to give balance and actually one of the most flavorful examples I can recall tasting of the style. I get a little wheaty spice, bubblegum and clove(?) - huh, wonder what yeast this is?

M: A bit heavier mouthfeel, due to a slightly higher alcohol level undoubtedly. Exceedingly smooth, with a vague carbonation prickle. Finishes rather sweet, trailing spices.

A: Pretty tasty, all in all. Wouldn't mind having this again - a good option for the budget-conscious macro-drinker.

3.34/5  rDev +16.8%

Purchased a six pack of cans for $3.99 at Trader Joe's in Creve Coeur, Missouri.

A- Poured into a pint glass, beer is a very bright golden with light carbonation and half a finger of head. Head disappears quickly leaving a small island of foam.

S- Not much of a bouquet to speak of.

T- First taste is malty sweetness. As the beer warms, I detect a bubblegum aftertaste similar to a Hefeweizen.

M- This is the fullest-bodied adjuct lager I've ever had. It's not extremely smooth but that's not a bad thing.

D- Most of the time when I drink macro brews, I find I have to drink them quickly because their taste deteriorates as it warms. This one gets better the longer it sits. This beer pleasantly surprised me and it is superior to any other macro brew I've had.

2.23/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow body with a very thin, white head.

Smell: Vague floral hop character conjoined with a tired malt and corn flake scent.

Taste: It's a cheap beer with a cheap taste. Cereal grains with a drizzle of sweet corn syrup. Vague floral hops with just a touch of bitterness, though not quite enough to balance, leaving you with a somewhat sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: Not recommended. Even for a simple lager, it's a below average, underperfomer.

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery