Simpler Times Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

good

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: blackie on 10-11-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Simpler Times Lager Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow body with a very thin, white head.

Smell: Vague floral hop character conjoined with a tired malt and corn flake scent.

Taste: It's a cheap beer with a cheap taste. Cereal grains with a drizzle of sweet corn syrup. Vague floral hops with just a touch of bitterness, though not quite enough to balance, leaving you with a somewhat sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: Not recommended. Even for a simple lager, it's a below average, underperfomer.

ChainGangGuy, Mar 27, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked up a sixer of this at Trader Joe's Midtown in Atlanta, GA. It was was 3 bucks a sixer, so why not? Served up in my Terrapin Pint glass.

A: Well it looks like a macro. Has a very light yellow color. It is incredibly light yellow. It did pour a finger or so of white foam off a moderate pour, impressive I suppose. Still, it had zero retention and falters to absolutely nothing a all. With that said, of course there is no lace sitting on the glass whatsoever. There is a pretty lazy carbonation bubble activity slowly working its way up the glass. Its pretty average for a macro.

S: Well me oh my, its a macro. Got a lot of sweet corn in here, I mean big time. The corn is a bit much. Then you get some grains, but mostly its all corn. Sugar and corn. Thats about it. Did I mention corn? I guess its pretty standard.

T: This is a bit below the ok line. This tastes like your standard macro, such as a Bud or Coors, with just quite a bit of salt added. Its not exactly appetizing. Lots of corn and sugar, then that salty sense. Uh . . . no.

M: Its light in body with a nice wateriness to it. Lots of carbonation makes this crisp and refreshing. The ABV is a bit higher than I expected and I am shocked that I would not be able to buy this in Alabama because it is a smooth over 6 percent lager. Aftertaste is that sugary corn.

D: Well, its not that great. That sugary sweet and salty taste really throws me off. Other than that its pretty average in every other category. Its a macro, its damn near water and its not dynamic whatsoever. I'll pass on this, give me a High Life.

everetends, Mar 17, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a clear straw color with almost no head whatsoever. Smells only of sweet adjuncts and fermented corn flakes. Not much malt presence in the nose. First sip is bland cereal and just a tad of hop bitterness. Not much positive aspects in this one. Simpler Times needs more complexity.

ATLbeerDog, Mar 15, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +21.7%

a - clear light amber with a 2 finger head. Yes, this $0.67 can is probably best guzzled straight but I went with my usual goblet.

s - standard lager with a decent sweetness. Maybe a tad heavy on the sulfur.

t - Nothing too overwhelming. Mostly sweet like apple juice with a backstop of bitter and sour. Crisp. A little nuttyness. If you aren't pausing between sips it would taste like water after a few seconds.

m - light body, carbonation is busy on the tongue but mostly disapates before the swallow.

d - Aims to be simple and drinkable. Succeeds at both. When I'm drinking a light beer a slightly sweet aftertaste is welcome. At this price I think I'd actually consider grabbing a case for a barbeque or a tailgate. Too bad it's only in 6-packs and I've only seen it at Trader Joes.

talkinghatrack, Mar 13, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +44.4%

I think this is excellent for the style. Is it the best beer ever - No. Is it the best American style lager .. maybe.

Pours a dark gold with a stark white head. If anything it is a little too dark for the style.

Aroma is grainy, a nice lager aroma. Clean, grain, if this was a blind tasting I might guess Hellesbock.

The taste is what I expected from the aroma. Clean, grainy, there is some hop presence and the finish is sweet.

Full bodied for the style. Finishes sweet. A bit too big, and definitely too sweet for the style.

It doesn't quite hit the styl. But thats because it is a little bigger and better in each category. Plus I think a 6 pack of cans was $4.
I can see myself buying a lot of this for summer BBQs and yardwork.

mschofield, Mar 04, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -17.8%

Not terribly awful. Like others, I spotted this nicely-designed can in a local Trader Joe's. I poured into a glass, smelled, and tasted.

Tastes like hairspray. Second sip was better, but still not so great.

No mention of this beer on the Minhas Craft Brewery site. Odd?

I'll finish the six-pack, but will not buy more.

dareiff, Mar 04, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Four bucks for a sixer of canned "craft" beer? How could I not pass that up? I'm cautiously optimistic.

It pours a clear straw golden color, with a good sized lemon-tinged foamy head, which doesn't last long and leaves zero lace. Here's where it gets interesting... what are the flecks of stuff in my glass!? There are several dozen or so small pieces of something that drift around and gradually sink to the bottom. I'm all for unfiltered beer, but this is a little weird to me. Are they remnants of pelletized hops? That's my best guess, except that's the biggest statement the hops make in the beer. (if I'm correct)

Aromas are pretty faint, some sweet, lagery beer nose going on, maybe a bit of fruitiness but I'm searching here.

Taste has more going on, but nowhere near my favorite craft lagers. Simpler times has a bit more oomph in the taste department than most macro lagers I've had... Sweet malts, possibly corn and bready in the middle. Mouthfeel is slick, with an almost medium body, but the finish is a little off. It's lacking much bittering, and ends with an almost soapy aftertaste.

Well, I can't fault the price, but there isn't much in this beer to come back to. I'll drink Full Sail's Session Lager or even PBR just about any day before this.

josiahschlender, Mar 01, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Spied at Trader Joe's. What the hell.

Pours a bright golden hue. Huge white foam head. Uh oh.

Smell is grainy and sweet. Uh oh.

Taste is actually more palatable than I though it would be. Yes, there is a grainy, cereal-y sweetness, but also a bit of nice lemon/citrus burn and a touch of hoppy bitterness to balance out the overly sweet malt base. Decently carbonated.

A notch or two above similar brews.

Overlord, Feb 27, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +30.4%

clear yellow/gold with ephemeral white head.

Smells faintly of grain and maybe a bit of fruit.

Taste is sweet and bready. I can't really taste hops, but I can never taste the hops in this style, though it seems to be balanced. Surprisingly flavorful.

MF: Not as thin/fizzy as macros.

D: Great cheap lager. A six pack is only a few cents more than a PBR six pack or high life, and it's seemingly better. I'll have to do a blind tasting to be sure.

Jimbo87, Feb 26, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Clear yellow with a pure white inch thick cap of suds that fade quickly, but actually leaves some fine lace on the glass. Smells of creamed corn and not much else. Tastes like a stronger version of the typical adjunct macro lager but could easily be a malt liquor, sweet and highly carbonated but not a bad lawnmower beer for $3.99 a sixer.

biggred1, Feb 19, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +32.9%

Poured into 12oz glass. Poured with a thick, white head of tight bubbles. Head lasted a little longer than I expected, but still dissipated in less than 2 minutes. Minimal lacing. A bright, clear, yellow color. Slightly grainy aroma. A crisp, clean flavor with nothing really standing out. Smooth body is typical for the style, to say, thin. Very drinkable. If you're in the mood for this style beer, this beer would be a great choice. This is what is called lawnmower beer, when you just need a quick refresher. A 6pack is only $4 at TJs so it'll be easy to keep a couple sixers around for your favorite BMC drinkers.

beertunes, Feb 08, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a clear golden color with a ragged head that dies as quickly as it came.

Smells of grain and some corn.

Tastes of pale malts, graininess, and some corn thrown in.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. The carbonation is a good amount.

This is very drinkable.

This is a good alternative to any other adjunct lagers and I could see having this as a slow down beer when I am drinking bigger beers.

ocelot2500, Feb 07, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -16.1%

I too found this at Trader Joe's for $3.99 a sixer and decided to give it a try. Pours a clear light straw color with a small fizzy white head. Hardly any retention and no lacing.

Smells very fruity, like apples. Acetaldehyde? I'm really not sure. The lager crispness that I was expecting is hiding in the background.

Very watery and light on the palate. That same sweet apple and banana fruitiness is very present in the taste. Bubblegum like flavors as well.

All in all, its an interesting beer but its a terrible example of the style. Way too many off-flavors. When I'm looking for a lager I want something thats clean, crisp, refreshing and very drinkable. This one just didn't cut it.

RodBurg, Feb 07, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +33.9%

Impulse Buy at Trader Joes, can's for $3.99. all in all... pretty delicious. as an Ale man, i find this little morsel quite delectable, and over many macros, rich. not much head to speak of, but i can get around that. a nice golden/amber look, but not much to mention. a reverberant taste, that sticks around, but doesn't overstays its welcome. a sterling brew. one of the better impulse buys, for me... but i don't want to speak too soon. at 6.2%, you can't wag you finger too much, and at the nice price, its a value beyond most. Simpler Times Lager, why not beer in a can. as far as drinkability, i could drink many of these, repeatedly. its nice that you can get the sixer in cans and after one, just loop them in your belt. a welcome change of pace for me, get them for a god price.

keep in mind, this is a lager, and it rates high in spite of the bias.

foggymountainman, Jan 26, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +21.7%

I don't usually drink lagers (of any type, much less this type). But just yesterday I started looking around for some lagers to try. I happened upon a six-pack of these cans at Trader Joe's today and decided to give it a shot.

Clear, pale yellow pouring from the can, and a little bit darker than other lagers of this style. Doesn't look overly fizzy. The head is fluffy but disappears quickly. The smell is sweet and surprisingly good--no funk or skunk detectable at all. The taste is weak and somewhat watery (true to style), but there isn't anything bad / offensive about it at all--I'm pleased and even impressed. The mouthfeel is also thin (as per the style). Budweiser has been advertising for drinkability lately; if you're used to putting down a six-pack of Bud or Miller or some such beer during a football game, I think this is a better-tasting option; and the higher alcohol means you get more high per ounce; so I am marking this high for drinkability; I myself would get bored with it after one or two cans, so I'm not giving it a 5 there.

PhiloPsych, Jan 20, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours clear golden yellow. Decent head retention with a small amount of lacing.

Aroma of stale barroom which is about average for style.

Slightly sweet on the palate , with a slight metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light , carbonation is good.

An easy drinking brew that I'd put above most Macros.

shroompod, Jan 16, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness date. Single purchased at Trader Joe's for $0.83.

A: Appealing honey-gold with 1.5 finger off white head that disappears quickly and leaves no lace.

S: Minimal aromas of cereal grain, corn, and noble hops

T: Flavor is not hefty with cereal grain sweetness followed by mild noble hops bite and not much else. Long metallic aftertaste is not a bonus.

M: Light-bodied and highly carbonated to give a clean feel. Nothing terrible or good here.

D: Without the metallic aftertaste, this would be a good value beer, but as it stands, I would not buy it again even for what little I paid. I would rather drink Miller High Life anytime and it is cheaper.

argock, Jan 08, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +24.1%

This can design brings to mind the beverages I see my grandpa drinking in old black-and-white photos. 'Simpler Times' is an appropriate name for an old school looking lager, the kind that would agree with the Good Old Boys at the VFW Hall, who all seem highly amused when I start raving about my new favorite fancy-smancy 'Sextuple RyeHopped Cocoa Cream IPA's' and 'Bottle Steam-Fermented Dopplepumpkin Snozzberry Lambics.'

"Kid, that ain't a beer. That's a dessert!," they chuckle. Then they buy me a Miller High Life and tell me to shutup-already-dammit.

It certainly looks like the classic Champagne of Beers on the pour. Bubbles dance in the crystal clear straw liquid, and the froth crackles like Rice Krispies when I hold it up to my ear. It has none of that tasty treat's stickiness, as the lacing slides right off the glass.

There's a bite of hops in the nose that's surrounded by a sweet smell of cool, Midwest tap water. (No, I don't use heavy narcotics; you just notice the pleasant odor of fresh water after going to countries where drinking from the faucet means permabonding your ass to a toilet bowl for the following week.)

At first it's malty and biscuty, like Fat Tire Amber minus the hops. After a second, I start craving KFC fried chicken. It's as greasy as the finest Southern cooking and a that's a damn good thing, believe me you sure 'nuff. The 6.2% ABV is pretty strong for this type of beer. I can't taste it. Or perhaps I'm a sad alcoholic already numbed to the pain.

Right when things seem great, a little bit of metal bites on the finish. The hops really try to fight it off, to no avail. I have to wait a while for the next sip. Fortunately, this beer actually tastes better when it's warmed up. That means I'll be consuming massive quantities of it this summer in the Ozarks--right before I fall out of my canoe and join the other drunk rednecks and empty beer cans floating behind me.

The VFW Hall would be proud.

Raligitano, Dec 19, 2008
3.1/5  rDev +8.4%

Purchased as a single, 12 oz. bottle from Trader Joe's. Brewed by the former Joseph Huber Brewing Co. in Monroe, Wisconsin.

A: Pours a pale golden color with a generous two-finger head that recedes within seconds. No visible lacing. Active carbonation.

S: Moderate floral hop nose; a hint of malt and not much else.

T: Clean and crisp with notes of pear and banana in the background. Somewhat grainy around the edges. Sweet, floral finish.

M: Light-bodied smoothness with moderate carbonation.

D: Easy drinking, to be sure. A decent lawnmower lager. Add this to your list of affordable, go-to, summertime pounders.

CaptainIPA, Dec 17, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a clear yellow with only slight head and no retention. There also wasn't any lacing present. Smells of adjunct in lager and especially sour ones at that. Fits the style. Tastes of adjuncts in lager with a strong sour aftertaste. Crisp body with quite a bit of carbonation. Got this at Trader Joe's and the price was very cheap. Overall, quite a bite to this lager and not very good at all.

Tone, Dec 16, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -14.3%

12 ounce bottle. Clear gold color with a nice white head albeit fizzy. Cereal grainy aroma with some generic sweetness. Flavor is grainy with banana and corn syrup. Very light, easy to pound. Cheap as hell, so I guess it is a decent alternative to macro swill or maybe it could be a summer barbecue beer but nothing I would ever really seek out.

illidurit, Dec 13, 2008
2.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Can from Trader Joe's - Cincinnati.

Poured clear pale color with an average frothy white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Moderate grass hop and grain aroma. Medium body with soft carbonation. Light to medium sweet flavor with a light sweet finish of short duration.

Simple, cheap and drinkable.

tmoneyba, Nov 19, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +18.9%

From a can into a pint glass, pours a deep yellow/golden in color with a half inch white head. Retention is moderate and settles to a surface as a steady carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass.

Smell is of toasted rice and barley and somewhat sweet, reminiscent of an Island Lager. A notable malted barley nose, European to a degree in the hops/malt department.

Taste follows suit and offers a vibrant carbonation effervescence. Bit of orangey sweetness on the finish is unusual but decent.

Decent feel and drink, somewhat creamy in body given the malt base. A nice tasting simple lager that one is not likely to tire of.

HalfFull, Nov 08, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +32.9%

A: Deeper gold/honey color than is usual for the style. Fizzy thick head, but this quickly goes to nothing with no lace.

S: is pleasant and exactly like any other macro, light with malts and maybe a bit of corn.

T: at this price it is near perfect. Smooth easy drinking. There is not enough carbonation to offset the malt sweetness. There is a bit of 'pepper' I think from the alcohol but no heat.

M: full and rich, very nice and better than any other lager I've had.

D: The sweetness is a bit much, needs more carbonation.

All in all a winner.

Okay I'm not altering my initial impression, but on further tasting it reminds me of a plain old malt liqour. I must've been thirsty that day. closer to a C rating I guess, kind of an off taste.

srrn, Nov 06, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +60.8%

A - Nice think pour to a golden body. The head is white and stands about a half in tall before fading away at a medium pace.

S - The scent is firm and malt with a hint of orange and alcohol.

T - This lager is very good. The flavor is well rounded with spectacular malts.

M - The feel starts out a bit coarse but quickly levels and spreads in a soothing coat throughout my mouth. I really don't know of a way this feel could be better.

~ I'm obviously very impressed with this brew. I beleive it to be the best all around lager I've ever had the luxury to enjoy. My thanks to my hard working, intelligent and of course beautiful wife.

cdkrenz, Oct 30, 2008