Simpler Times Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: blackie on 10-11-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Simpler Times Lager Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

2.46/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Trader Joe's. Gold can.

Simpler Times looks pretty good. High level of carbonation, decent white head over clearish yellow beer. Not as transparent as BMC beers.

The smell is unremarkable. You can tell it's a beer, but it's pretty faint. Smells more malty than hoppy.

The flavor is disappointing. Metallic, mild malty sweetness, a touch of hop crispness but not enough. It's not horrible but it's not great. Too sweet for a lager, in my opinion. Lagers are meant to be session beers and this one would get old after 1 or 2.

Mouthfeel is OK because the high level of carbonation makes up for an otherwise uninteresting beer.

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%

Purchased as a single, 12 oz. bottle from Trader Joe's. Brewed by the former Joseph Huber Brewing Co. in Monroe, Wisconsin.

A: Pours a pale golden color with a generous two-finger head that recedes within seconds. No visible lacing. Active carbonation.

S: Moderate floral hop nose; a hint of malt and not much else.

T: Clean and crisp with notes of pear and banana in the background. Somewhat grainy around the edges. Sweet, floral finish.

M: Light-bodied smoothness with moderate carbonation.

D: Easy drinking, to be sure. A decent lawnmower lager. Add this to your list of affordable, go-to, summertime pounders.

1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

2.86/5  rDev 0%

Trader Joes for $2.99 a six pack. Wow whata country. Thats like 50 cents a brew!

A- Deep golden color that I was surprised to see, good initial head retention when poured from the can. Not like those other "main stream" lagers. This one seems darker and thicker.

S- Sweet grain.

T- Grainy, a bit overly sweet for the style. Is that a heavy malt I taste?

M- A heavy lager. You can taste that 6.2% at first, but after 2 or 3 it goes down much smoother.

O- Nothing wrong with drinking this brew. Beware the wrath of drinking too much simpler times however as it can give you a nasty headache. However if on a budget and doing something outdoors, not much is better.

3.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.15/5  rDev +10.1%

While I'm generally willing to totally crap on and dismiss light adjunct lagers, I'm surprised and somewhat amused that I don't hate this beer.

Disclosure: the last time I purchased light lager, American, adjunct, or otherwise, was probably when I lived in Central America and had little other choice than the various country versions of euro light lager. Part of why I like this beer okay is that it reminds me a lot of those beers, only better.

I only purchased it this time because we had a friend of a friend coming over to the house who I had been clearly told only likes light thin fizzy beers, and while I normally am willing to just tell them too bad, and offer them a mixed drink or wine, I had a nightmarish vision of him grudgingly pounding my (much more expensive) Victory Storm King and not appreciating it.

I try really hard to review and rate beers subject to their style, and so am rating based on that:

12 ounce can, $3.99 for a six pack at Trader Joe's, a screaming deal for a 6.2% beer that is at least drinkable.

Appearance: medium bright yellow, with a moderate off-white head that fades quickly. A more attractive color than many of its competitors in this category, so better than average.

Smell: damp grain, some light but sweetish corn, some fruit, but pretty limited aroma overall. I don't get the sulfury or DMS notes that some others mention (I wonder if sometimes you go looking for something, and then you're more likely to find it.)

Taste: sweetish American lager, with notes of corn and some faintly sweet fruit that I can't put my finger on. Lingers for a while, which is a little bit of a surprise. Maybe a little bit of grass. Again, not by any means my favorite style, but better than most of its category competition. Still, overall, just not that tasty, so not something I could rate above 3.0

Mouth: Distinct carbonation, slightly fizzy, and a little viscous (a bit of a surprise.) Enough carbonation and alcohol to make it slightly tingly, but not hot. Probably the best thing about it.

Drinkability: even though I'll likely never buy it again, even for drinking after bicycling in Hotlanta, it's surprisingly drinkable for what is probably my least favorite style. Still, I consider this rating "do I want to buy it and drink it", and I don't.

Interesting that if I were judging this using BJCP categories 1A or 1B, "strong flavors are a fault", and I would probably dink it a little for that.

3.15/5  rDev +10.1%

smell has a sweetness to it. carbonation is nice when it hits the tongue. almost an apple taste to it...with bubbles. it is rather satisfying on a hot day. 6.2 abv sneaks up on you after 3 of them. this beer is not a bad bargain at 3.99 a sixer, well worth it. much better than the 5.99-6.99 alternatives.

1.61/5  rDev -43.7%

Pours a basic yellow. Fizzy white head that dissipates very quickly. Little lacing
Smells much like a fruity estery mess. Grain husks and creamed corn. Gross
Taste is right along with the smell. It's like drinking creamed corn juice that's been rotting for a few days. Awful overly sweet mess.
Undrinkable from the flavor. Medium body, fizzy complexion.

Never again.

2.61/5  rDev -8.7%

Minhas Craft Brewery's Simpler Times Lager pours a slightly-darker-than-pale straw body. Its snow white head rises about an inch or so before beginning a slightly-more-leisurely-than-expected fall. Pockets of small bubbles appear and disappear in the glass. The only thing that really entices me here is the oily island of head residue that caps the liquid in my glass.

The nose remains unappealing despite repeated attempts to accustom my olfactory sensors to it. Ugh. Metals up front, estery acids in back. There's some sweet steamed grainy stuff in there somewhere. Must we press on? I suppose so…

This beer tastes better than it smells, but that's not saying much. Alcohol is the main flavor. It's supported by some pleasing malty sweetness. Hops contribute a bit of oregano-like flavor. The brew is fuller and richer on the palate than most American adjuncts.

If I were at a party and the only brew available were Simpler Times lager, I'd have to be particularly in the mood to drink beer to drink one. Still, I can think of much worse representations of the style. For 50 cents, this beer was worth a try, but doubt it'd be worth a repeat visit.

3.75/5  rDev +31.1%

2.5/5  rDev -12.6%

3.72/5  rDev +30.1%

A: Light yellow with few bubbles. Rather unassuming.

S: A little lemon-lime note but otherwise just a little yeast.

T: Actually a very nice flavor. It's light but there is a great citrus note that compliments the light yeast note. I mean nothing complex but in terms of a lager it's very nice.

M: Sits pretty good. Actually the alcohol comes through a bit but otherwise pretty nice.

For a lager it's pretty good. Could just a tad bit more hops but otherwise solid. Good flavor notes to compliment the light nature of the beer.

2.09/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured from the can into a pint glass
Reviewed from notes

A – Pours a dark blonde with a one finger head that quickly disappears to nothing. Moderate carbonation. Leaves behind no lacing at all.

S – Corn grit and sweet cereal adjuncts and some musty notes

T – A tiny bit of alcohol and sweet malt upfront. The body has a corn-grit taste that borders on sickly-sweet as well as a musty bitterness – perhaps due to the hops. A cereal adjunct finish that would be tolerable if it stopped there, but instead transitions into a horrid stale-sugar corn aftertaste. Down the sink this one went half-way through.

M – Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Actually much better than most macros.

Another freebie at my grandparent’s cabin. I was up here a year ago, and this wasn’t here, so it can’t be that old. Nonetheless, it tasted like someone threw a can of corn, sugar and water in a can and let it fester in the pump house for a decade or so. One of the worst tasting beers I’ve ever experienced. Apparently Simpler Times means that no hops or decent malt were used in brewing this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -21.3%

3.52/5  rDev +23.1%

A $4 sixpack at Trader Joe's that is better than most mass-produced American mega-brewers. What's not to like?

A: Golden clear with big bubbles and little head that dissipates quickly.
S: Strong beer smell. Nothing subtle or complex. It smells like your Dad and uncles did when they were out on the porch laughing late after dinner in the summer.
T: A little anaemic, the lager is a tad less tasty than the pils.
M: Fizzy and soda-like; light, simple, a little astringent.
D: At 6.2%, It's a tad over sessionable, but that's still how it'll be used. Great party beer.

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

3.47/5  rDev +21.3%

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A: golden, translucent. 1/2 finger bright white head settles to small ring around the cap

S: subtle sweetness, apples

T: suprsingly good. Sweet up front with light malts and some honey; non-biting hop bitterness is crisp through the middle; finishes with a clean hop bitter presence mixed with tart/sweet apple flavor; ABV of 6% unnoticed which is great

M: light and crisp; very clean overall but got a little watery towards the end

D: very easy drinking adjunct lager. I have no problem with canned beered so this had no bearing. I was partially biased by the price tag, thinking now way a beer this cheap could be any good. I was wrong. Next time at trader joe's I will pick this up again and see if this can't be a great gateway beer for some of my buddies.

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery