Clear Creek Ice - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 11-04-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by RJUGA03:
2.58/5  rDev +14.7%

A-Very clear pale yellow effervescent body pouring an ample 1/2" snow white head.
S-Faint malts, yeast, and metal detected.
T-On the uptake it was ultra simple with a bit of hops in midsip closing out with a sicky sweet malt liqour-esque finish/ after-taste.
M-It comes on light and frothy and finishes thicker and lingering.
D-At the same price point as Mountain Creek and Minhas light I would say it is very drinkable for an ajunct macro.

1.53/5  rDev -32%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: poured into a Kwak glass for humor's sake. a quickly receding 12 finger head and very clear as the name suggests.

S: cheap beer. enough said (or as hu5om suggests, 'leftover beer pong beer the morning after')

T: water. slight beer aftertaste.

MF/D: thin, regretting putting this liquid in my mouth. i may apologize to my taste buds. do i have to finish this? followed by Doritos Late Night All-nighter Cheeseburger chips. might be worse than the beer. oddly they compliment each other well.

2.5/5  rDev +11.1%

my can is dubbed 'tundra ice' and has football graphics on it for the Grey Cup, it's also 'Rider Green'... all unlicensed.

anyway, it's a 710ml can that was $2.60 for 6.2%, i bought 3 as novelties to give away to friends that were already hammed at the Grey Cup party.

i ended up with one, onto the review.

i poured half of it into a glass to check it out.

A: golden with a thick fluffy, soon to be gone head.

S: metalic corn, some grain smell. overall sweet smell.

T: faint malt, more corn than anything, quite sweet. didn't like it.

M: thickens up and doesn't feel too bad, this was the highlight for me.

D: if you're gunned, this would be great.

if price was a factor, this would score extra points as it truly is budget. it passes, but definately not something to drink if you're into flavor and presentation.

1.58/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I remember when the introduction of this brand was a welcome, and momentarily potential threat to Molson hegemony around here. Ahhh, unsquelched hope...

This beer pours a clear pale golden colour, with two fingers of thin foamy white head, which leaves some very thin tiered lace around the glass as it quickly abates. It smells of sweet, sickly cornmeal and sugary alcohol. The taste is creamed corn and nail polish remover, mixed with sugar solution. The carbonation is moderate dull (in a flat soda sense), the body medium weight, and cloying as all get out. It finishes sweet, in the aforementioned wrong ways.

Good news for those who buy this crap for the extra booze - you can`t really taste it amongst the suckling sweetness. Enjoy your 12 packs, boyz...

2.3/5  rDev +2.2%

Had this the other day at band practice. I usually bring over some PBR to drink and well this time beer was there and it was this!

A- Pours a very light almost clear yellow color. Half finger bright white head comes and goes with no lacing on the glass.

S- Grain, sweet alcohol, corn, and metal. This is what makes up the light aroma in the beer. To be honest it just smells too sweet before I even taste it.

T- Super sweetness to this beer. Nothing special about it at all. Sweet corn, light metal taste, grainy, and well some light sweet alcohol in the backend.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation actually is good for the style...not overly with some other macros. Sickly sweet on the palate and sweet alcohol in the aftertaste. Metal taste throughout the beer as it warms more and more. Bland tasting and watered down.

D- This is a average drinker. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it but it was there and I had to take my time with the first couple. I think I'll stick with my Pabst as a thrist quencher as I practice with the band.

2.89/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a can into a Perfect Pint.

A=Darker gold color, much darker than AAL's and more appealing...also a nice frothy head.

S=Overly sweet...probably due to the adjuncts.

T=Syrupy sweet...hint of honey and apple.

M=A bit syrupy with a bit too much carbonation.

O=Too sweet for my liking...may be interesting as a cheap lager for a snakebite.

2.58/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, malts. Taste is not so good, plastic, overly sweet, other undetectable flavors,not very enjoyable. Feels light in the mouth and is not very drinkable. Overall this is a sub-par beer.

Thanks to woodychandler for the CANned swill!

Pours a pale golden color with an odd haziness, bright white head and lots of bubbles.

Smells cold, with a bit of metal. Thats it.

"Oh my God." That's all I could say. It's retched. And there is a stale, year old, bubble gum-like sweetness that that is unbearable. Sorry Woody, I couldn't even GLUG it!

The feel is awful, and it's entirely undrinkable.

However, my drain found it very easy to drink...

1.45/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearance - Medium-light gold. A little red, too. Clear. Not as bubbly as I would have hoped. Thin and immediately disappearing head.

Smell - Not strong. What's there is sweet pale malt. Sugary corn.

Taste - Excessively, cloyingly, sickeningly sweet. Sugar and grain. Ack.

Mouthfeel - Light.

Overall - Not good. Not good.

3.7/5  rDev +64.4%

Clear Creek Ice has a thick, white head and a mostly clear, bright, golden appearance, with lots of bubbles streaming up, but not much lacing left behind. The aroma is subtle at best, but one can detect some water and slight grain. Taste is strongly alcoholic, with some sweetness, grains, a touch of hops, and water. Overall, this is a mostly malty and boozy concoction. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Clear Creek Ice finishes mostly dry, easy drinking, and smooth. I liked this. It has character. I recommend it.

RJT

3.03/5  rDev +34.7%

This stuff goes for $8.99 a case, how can you pass that up?

Dark gold with a ton of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass and a lumpy grey tinted white head that fades quick and leaves some scraps of sticky lace on the glass. The nose is mostly grits with a whiff of alcohol. The taste isn't bad, sweet corn, green apple skin and a touch of grain alcohol. Medium bodied and easy to drink. Tastes more like a lighter malt liquor than a typical "ice" beer. Not bad for what it is, cheap and high octane.

Another can for the collection, compliments of Minhas. Glad I have a couple trade partners to share this with.
Not exactly sure what they we trying to acheive in this "strong ice beer" - high alcohol, low price to compete with other malt liquors. Gold color, fizzy head that quickly disappears to nothing. Almost no aroma, maybe wet straw or grain, kind of sweet smell. First taste is sour on the tongue. Watery and thin, no body, and an alcohol after taste. Should have known better : High alcohol % plus low cost equals no good.

1.93/5  rDev -14.2%

Pale golden appearance with lots of bubbly head that sticks around. Very sweet, corn smell with a hint of booze and metal.

Taste has an overpowering sweetness, picked up some corn and grain as well. Booze is evident, the taste is very stale. Light-moderate body with high carbonation. Aftertaste has a lingering sweetness.

Could be an average malt liquor, but the sweetness makes the beer disgusting. Only try if your already drunk and can't notice the taste.

Oh, my dear and close buddies at Minhas ... I CAN't wait to do a Crack & Glug of this latest of your beers. You are "Union Made", a "Craft Brewery" and your website is DamnGoodBeer.com and yet you are my anathema. Why is that, do you suppose? More ammo for my argument forthcoming ...

I could smell the plastics factory as soon as I did the Crack action. OMFG! In the early iterations of Doctor Who, the Cybermen were molded from plastic. Is Minhas a cover for a Cybermen production facility?!? What is that noise in my backyard? "You will be upgraded shortly. Stand by." Nooo!

I'm back. A lovely thick head of bone-white beauty with perfect retention. Color was exactly as The CyberLeader ordered, I mean, a deep gold to offset our aluminum-colored suits, I mean with NE-quality clarity, whatever that may have meant to the former human entity who is now Cyberman # 30993. Never mind the off-task musings that are still filtering through. Nose was a perfect accompaniment to the melange here in the Upgrade Facility with a definite smell of plastics accompanied by cotton candy to increase the feel-good factor during said upgrade. Mouthfeel was medium with a beautifully pleasant taste of ... No, what have you done to me? It tasted like an admixture of perfume and plastic, like a scented Barbie doll. "You will obey the CyberLeader and enjoy your beverage!" Ooof, it's another Epic Fail on the part of Minhas, but they don't care. They're out to subvert us all! "You will be re-upgraded." Nooo. This beer stinks and I wouldn't feed it to a cybernetic hybrid under even the worst of circumstances. Finish was sickeningly sweet. Now, I want the upgrade so as not to have to taste it ever again.

Re-Upgrade complete. # 30993 now in complete compliance with Minhas plan Sol3. Lovely beer. Yum yum.

3.43/5  rDev +52.4%

I found this randomly at a beer distributer in Pittsburgh. It was cheap, $10.50 for a case, so that's basically why I bought it. It was labeled "craft brewed," and that actually put me over the top. I mean, how bad could it be if it at least claimed it was craft brewed.

At 6.2%, it's a heavy brew. I didn't realize it was a malt liquor until I ventured to BA. I sipped this curiosity with an open mind dispute the mostly negative reviews here.

The beer poured a thick, creamy yet ultimately slight-tasting head. Mouthfeel was actually really good, probably the best aspect of the beer. Taste was smooth, slightly citrusy. Good lacing on the pint glass. Taste was nothing like any malt liquor I've ever had.

In comparing it to bold-flavored craft brews, it actually can hold a candle. Don't get me wrong, this isn't 60 Minute, but it a simple, tasty, cheap beer.

3.5/5  rDev +55.6%

Coming from someone who usually associates Malt Liquor with Colt 45, St. Ides, and Olde English 800, this is a nice change of pace. I bought this in a 4 pack of 16 Oz cans for $2.79, and wasn't expecting much. However, it's quite sweet when you first drink it, with not to strong an aftertaste. I could see some lady friends of mine enjoying this, and not complaining about it's lack of "skunk" that is usually associated with Malt Liquors.

I'm very impressed with this beer, and recommend it to anyone looking for a beer that has decent flavor but not the aftertaste of a usual malt liquor. It's a deceiving 6.2% alcohol, which is never a bad thing.

3.5/5  rDev +55.6%

3.6/5  rDev +60%

This beer looks like a macro lager. Its smell is faint. It lacks scary funk; this is nothing like OE; one might say it is clean smelling. I sort of like the fact that this beer, as its packaging suggests, is quite plain, in a midwestern-american kind of way. This beer should be served cold because it is meant to quench the kind of thirst that can't be quenched by hydration alone. Palate is mildly sweet with alcoholic headiness lurking just below the surface. There is nothing really off-putting about this beer. It is stronger than the typical swill and tastes fresh and unsurprising. I like it and I hope it stays on the shelf around here.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »