Name Tag Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 198 | Reviews: 115
Reviews by MadTown1000:
3.18/5  rDev +26.2%

The distinguishing feature of this beer is its cheapness. By that, I mean the fact that a 6-pack runs shy of $3. All else about this beer ought be considered in that light.

Now then... pours a medium light straw with a good 4 inches of foam into a pint glass. Surprisingly, it has a bit of lacing. Very little fizziness is apparent in the beer itself - relatively still.

Smell is close to undetectable. Flavor is a bit maltier than the Buds and Millers this stands against. Slightly more substantial mouthfeel as well. Drinkability is as you'd expect for this type of beer - no impediments to high-volume consumption.

All in all, if you just want a beer, it's hard to argue with the price. Won't be winning any awards any time soon, but then again they never claimed to deserve one.

1.34/5  rDev -46.8%

Light golden color. Not much nose, just sugar. Tastes like someone poured a beer, then dumped a pint of water on top of it, and this is whats left. Soooo watery tasting. A hint of corn, but mostly just watered down junk. Even 3 bucks a 6 pack is too much money for me to every try this again.

2.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a deep golden color with great clarity and a lasting white head. Leaves plenty of lacing on the glass.

The aroma of corn, barley and light hops is parallel in the flavor profile, which is not bod but has too much corn. It does leave a decent bready finish.

M: medium+ carbonation; medium-light body.

O: With appropriately low expectations, you'll probably agree that this hits its target: a cheap but drinkable lager.

2.51/5  rDev -0.4%

Tried this one at my buddy's house. Took it down from the can. Not too much comes through on the nose, not to me anyway. Taste was better than expected. Definitely not great though. Kind of bland. Went down easy. I probably wouldn't buy it, but if that's all that's available, it's OK.

2.62/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Small white head quickly falls into a very thin lacing above a clear straw golden colored beer.

Sour grain malt aroma with some sour fruit (lemonish) style hops coming through.

Sour grains and light sour hops dryish taste.

A dryish aftertaste with a very slight leftover sour lemon taste hanging around on this light bodied decently carbonated lager.

This beer seems like a lemony Bud Light, I'll have to pass on drinking any more of these but I think those Bud Light Lime drinkers might like it.

3.22/5  rDev +27.8%

Well, the label design is definitely classic. Reminds of those days growing up in the midwest (Iowa) and seeing cans of stuff like Schlitz, Schmidt's, Red White & Blue, Dubuque Star and Old Milwaukee everywhere. No fondness for those beers beyond the memory of them, just nostalgia. Thanks to mnwags for sending this one, which he assured me I wouldn't love, yet I go into this as objectively as possible...

Pours a watery yellow color, with a slight haze; the head is snow white and fairly thick...for a second. Then it visually and even audibly crackles down to a thin skim. Sounds like Rice Krispies in there. Fred Eckhardt urges us to listen to our beer, and this is one to hear, if not drink.

Clean lemon and fresh straw smell, lacking the DMS/veggie/corn aroma of many others of this ilk. Not amazing, but certainly kinda nice.

Flavor is on the fruity side, although lacks any real sweetness. Crisp and lightly grainy, with shades of peach/pear present. Thankfully that boiled veggie/DMS thing is mostly absent, and while there's hardly any depth to the flavor, there's nothing off-putting, either. Finish offers chewing gum, somewhere between generic bubble-gum flavor and Wrigley's Juicy Fruit. This characteristic isn't hugely pronounced or anything, but it does flash by. Finishes dry...so dry, actually, that the flavor pretty much disappears.

Although the bubble activity tries to be aggressive, there's a softness here that has the illusion of creaminess. But no, it's fairly thin, it's just the the carbonation is not attacking, as it is in too many, more popular versions of this style.

Well heck, it's not too bad at all. Drinkable, certainly, but if that's the best thing I can say about it, then I can live without ever having another one. Still, it's not awful, and I guess I expected so much worse...

Name Tag Lager
12 oz. can, coded "13 338 06" on 4/24/13

Notes: I was under the impression that this was a Trader Joe's beer, but perhaps not. Regardless, it's one of the worst beers I've found at Trader Joe's. It's sweetish with no hops, bitterness, or malt flavor... just a thin 'corn' note. It's inexpensive, which is great, but it's not good enough that I wouldn't pay more to get a better 'retro' beer (Genesee Cream Ale is just $12.99 for a 30 pack, which equals .43 a can!).

3.17/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

While my review of this beer is probably not going to add up to a lot of points, I've got to say that this is a good value at $3 for a 6-pack. The look in the glass was all-american lager a.k.a. urine. The nose was very weak malt and bananas. I poured this can into a pint glass so I could get a better look and smell at it (bad idea really - neither characteristic being a strength), and the head took less than a second to dissipate, so I might as well get to the drinking. The taste was good actually, with sweet corn and froot loops being the major notes. The mouthfeel is above average, not overly foamy and pretty smooth. The drinkability is also above average, clocking in at about 15 minutes for "first beer on a friday". Better than the big guys, and cheaper.

2.82/5  rDev +11.9%

These aren't simple times as the Simpler Times was out of stock. Oddly, the Red Oval had an entire endcap dedicated to this new brew at a Trader Joe's in Encinitas. I was down for a single, almost thinking it was Red Stripe.

Pours a clear light straw with a thin white head. Not too carbonated yet the pour never let go of its surface cap.

Touch of Noble hops on the nose blend with some light cereal adjuncts and make for an interesting brew. Has a relatively long, albeit simple, finish. A bit earthy as it settles. I think I'll return and pony up $2.99 for a full sixer to better judge this beer. Bring on the Jacuzzi!

3.05/5  rDev +21%

Poured from 12oz can. Thanks again to Lukafer for this beer.

A- Pours a light yellow color. One finger white head shows light retention. Some spotty lacing but that's it.

S- Mildly sweet malts with a hint of bitter hops. A nice helping of grainy character to this as well. Light metallic hints toward the end of the nose.

T- Sweet malts with a touch of corn toward the front of this beer. The hops in the backing are not really there. There is a light bitterness that comes in the back. Not really balanced but there is also a light metallic ending to this.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high but good for the style. Malty flavors left on the palate. Aftertaste is sweet alcohol and metallic hints. Balanced for a regular style adjunct beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- A good drinking adjunct lager. Once again it's a light flavor beer with sugary sweetness. More like sugar water really. Oh well can't have it all at times.

2.16/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured with a substantial billow of foam above a clean light complexion. Sickly sweet, almost cloying on the nose. I get grape bubblegum, barley sugars, grape must and caramel, which I doubt is intended.

Light Cabernet buttery flavors hit the tongue with bubblegum, grain and cereal malt. This is much sweeter than your average adjunct and that's not good.

2.55/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce can, 50 cents for a single from Trader Joe's. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with a half inch white head that went away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. Aroma is sweet malt and corn. Taste is pretty much just like the aroma, it's mostly sweet malt and corn but there's also a slight bitter taste noticable. Overall, it's a little too sweet tasting for me. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's a little bit slick and it's well carbonated. It's not a bad brew, and there's nothing really offensive about it. For the style of beer it is, you could pick much worse. And for 50 cents a can, why not try it?

2.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Pale gold with a good sized white head and minimal lacings. Aroma is corny. Taste is corny sweet with a kiss of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is average. Nothing wrong with this typical American Lager just no reason to drink it again unless this is your style. Value is good at $2.99 per six pack at Trader Joes.

3.65/5  rDev +44.8%

I hate to hear people ragging on this little can. If your palate is accustomed to sucking on Heineken and other craft brews then, yes, I can see why this beer may not appeal to you. But as an American who enjoys 50cent cans of beer this little foamy bugger is tops!

-Cheerios

2.03/5  rDev -19.4%

Trader Joe's was selling single cans of this stuff for just 50¢ a can so I bought one.

The beer poured a clear pale gold color and made a 1½ finger white head that looked like dish soap and lasted all of about 20 seconds. It left no lacing at all.

Not much smell to this. After I swirled it around a few times I got some cotton candy like sweetness along with a whiff of alcohol.

The only flavor in here is some sweet corn graininess. No real malt flavor and no real hop flavor. Just a pretty bland unpleasantly sweet beer.

Weak, watery mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Easy to drink but hard to call this a "craft" brew.

2.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A classic variety cheap American Lager--which is not my thing--but it is what it is so I will review it as such. It is pretty darn good for the price and intended quality... which is the low end. If you are going for a cheap lager beer of this type, you may as well skip the typical big brewers since Red Oval is priced so much more appropriately for what you get.

I prefer this to Simpler Times Lager as it doesn't have quite as much sticky sweetness to my palate... in comparison, after 2 STLs, I'm out, but I could go for a 3rd Red Oval. But beware--like any cheap beer this is best consumed COLD as the less flavor revealed the better. There is a reason why the big guys focus so much on ice cold beer...

2.28/5  rDev -9.5%

Its cheap price makes trying this lager in a can from Trader Joe's not too much of an investment. Three bucks for a sixer.

Pours a pale, very clear yellow with an ample bright white cap that fades quickly. I kinda like the simple can design, but nothing special about its looks.

Same goes for its aroma. Faint cornflakes with a bit of a metallic note among the light lager nose. Not offensive, but nothing special.

Flavor also has some corn with the light malt. Typically this would be a beer I would drink straight from the can. Pouring it into a glass to view its appearance warmed it up faster. While I'm known for enjoying my beers warmer than most of my friends, this is one I'll have as cold as possible to numb my taste buds.

Pretty smooth and clean feel. Not as crisp as I'd like for the style, but probably its least detrimental attribute. (besides the price)

Well I drank it all, and even finished the six pack, but mostly out of obligation. It washes down food fine, and cleanses thirst ok, as long as it's cold. I'd probably spring for some of the big macro brews over this one though. Definitely give me PBR any day first. However, price is a big factor in my drinkability rating, which helps it out. A little more effort, Red Oval!

3.1/5  rDev +23%

picked up a cooking beer - may as well throw a quick rating at it

a: clear pale golden in color, retains a decent white head, no lace

s: rice thinned pale malts, white bread, hops present but benign

m: carbonation lively, light bodied

t: pale malts thinned with rice give the bulk of the flavor, ultra mild hops, a little unwelcome sweetness lingers

d: it is what it is - an adjunct lager, nothing off, nothing interesting, but generally clean and drinkable

1.88/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Name Tag Classic Lager has a thick, white head and a bubbly, golden appearance, with some decent lacing left behind. The aroma is of a sickly-sweet grain husk, and the flavor is of sickly-sweet, dank, wet grain, foul sugars, and just the slightest bit of unpleasant and flaccid hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Name Tag Classic Lager finishes wet, dirty, and yucky. Overall, this is a bad, and almost undrinkable beer. You screwed up, Trader Joe’s! For those wanting to sample an exceptionally bad beer, this is one to check out.

RJT

2.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz can, acquired at the local Trader Joe's earlier for a whopping 67 cents. No freshness date apparent except a code on the bottom. My second review of a beer coming from a can!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours the typical boring American adjunct lager fare. Clear piss yellow watery looking color with tons of carbonation bubbles rushing around and an artificial, chemical looking fizzy white one finger of head sticking around. Looks a lot like the Miller Lite on draft I was served yesterday at the local hillbilly watering hole. Surprisingly, the beer retained some lacing on the glass on it's way down.

S - Honestly, my first smell made me think of some really cheap whiskey, like the kind that comes in a plastic gallon bottle. Pale adjunct corn / malt follows. Not exciting to smell. Hot nail polish remover / alcohol smell is prevalent. It smells like cheap whiskey for sure.

T - Thankfully it doesn't taste as foul as it smells, though it is by no means good. Much sweeter than most other typical American adjunct lager beers I have had in the past, with a strong taste of honey in every sip. Still tastes carbonated and artificial, rather than having the smooth cleanliness and natural taste of some better lager beers (i.e. Samuel Smith's Organic Lager Beer).

M - Mouthfeel isn't bad, no real flavor to cherish and love here though. Goes down smooth enough, slight honey sugar sweetness hanging out, fair level of carbonation, and a nice light bodied feel.

I guess I can't really complain, this is a semi-above average, standard American adjunctive fare here, and nothing more. Although, I guess you kind of know what you are getting into with this one considering the bold plainness of the can and it's ironically generic name. Not a beer to take seriously in any way, but considering what it is, I would probably buy another can for 67 cents again, y'know just for sh*ts and giggles. And honestly, I'd probably go for one of these before I ever went for a Bud Light.

Minhas Name Tag Lager ---2.5/5

3.6/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am glad this beer has “Classic” in the name. It is an ample and fair description of the beer. It has a slightly bitter flavor, near golden look, good head, nice aroma and brings one back to the classic times(for us older people). Even the price reminds me of days past.

I am glad this beer does not say “superior”, “private reserve”, or “best”, because it is truly not any of them. For the price this beer is great to try or cook with, but it is nothing special. I vote, buy a six pack, drink one or two and cook some brats with the remainder.

2.22/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours from the can with a pale but warm yellow color and a fleeting, foamy white head. The aroma is grainy and metallic, with a bit of sweet corn. The flavor is dominated by sweet corn, with a note of rice also. A medium carbonation only partially hides a kind of buttery texture.

I had never had this beer before, but it still makes me feel kind of nostalgic, with its ultra-generic labeling and unmistakably adjunct-laden aroma and flavor. Overall, it is not a good beer, but at $2.99 per six-pack, it's not a bad lawnmower beer to have in the fridge.

2.29/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a crystal clear light staw body with a decent head that sticks around for a bit.

Aromas are pale malt breadiness along with creamed corn with not really any hop character.

The flavor is pretty much spot on with the aroma but gets annoying the more you drink.

The mouthfeel is probably the worst part of this beer. I am uncertain of the abv, but for an adjunct lager with corn you'd expect some sense of creaminess, but this lack any sense of it.

This is a simple, under hopped lager with little character.

1.88/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from can into pint glass

A- Typical fizzy yellow beer with a good two finger head

S- Sweet grainy malt, dare I say bubblegum?

T- Strange sweet malt leading to an odd hop ending- maybe metallic finish

M- Light bodied and highly carbonated

D- I bought a sixer of this for three bucks and the first time I tried it I thought it was so bad I poured it out, and one of my fiends that was over poured it out as well. It was terrible. So I had the other four cans in the fridge for a couple of months and decided to try it again. It isn't good, but I finished the remaining four. It is good for the price if anything. I just won't buy it again, but I'm also a beer snob. :)

Ok, keep in mind that this beer does not pretend to be anything else than it is. Cheap. All the connotations that go with it seem to apply. This does not damn the beer however. A wicked cheap offering from Minhas (Simple Times) via Trader Joe, it is fun order a case, barely marked behemoth of one that seems to impress TJ staff immensely. At 50c/can it is a bargain, but only if you want cheap-ass beer. Forget your trendy PBR, this is way better than your tasteless Bud Lites, &c , and actually has some flavor. Reminiscent of a Naragansett or Reading, it's worthwhile just for cheap bragging rights, and cheaper than the Portuguese-Polish-Indian cheapo lagers that seem overpriced to me. A bright yellow pisswasser appearance with frothy bright white head, Red Oval is better from the can than glass. Keep it honest. Corn-based & malty (like its pricier cousin, Simple Times),it is best served cold & in abundance. Would I prefer a Black Label? Yes. But again, 50c wins...

to view more.