Name Tag Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: flexabull on 08-14-2009

4.38/5  rDev +72.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Surprisingly good flavor having been brewed at Minhas. I'll have to check out other brews by them as I now see a drastic improvement to all their high gravity stuff I had years agio. Drinking it out of a can, so who cares what it looks like. Smells like, tastes like.... Yep it's a good beer!

3.7/5  rDev +45.7%

You finish mowing the lawn on a hot summer day. You are parched, panting, and sweaty. You say to yourself "MAN! I could use an ice cold refreshing lager for DIRT CHEAP right about now!" Well, sir. Six of these will run you a whopping $2.99 at your local Trader Joes! More refreshing than (insert generic beer) by far! You will see the can and think these jokers are just a ripoff of Red Stripe! You can't possibly make me believe this is good beer! Well, it smells like (insert generic beer). *DOOK DOOK DOOK* It CHUGS like (insert generic beer)! It even goes DOWN like (insert generic beer)! HOT DAMN! That really hit the spot! MAN! I am SO glad I picked up two of these six packs because I'm gonna totally finish these off like they're water!

Seriously, if people are rating this as a crappy beer, they are missing the point. Some beer is built to be tasty and fulfilling and artistic and crafty and beautiful and great. THIS beer, like most other (insert generic beer), is built to be guzzled in great masses on hot days in the summertime like it was water, but not leave you with nasty aftertaste, bitter beer face, but a cleansed palate ready to eat more barbecue spare ribs.

Serious bang for the buck. Totally passes this summertime feed your friends barbecue and beer freak!

3.7/5  rDev +45.7%

Like most items I find at Trader Joes, this beer has good value for the dollar.

There isn't any reason to over analyse it, what we have here is a simple brew that is enjoyable by at least "simple folk" like me.

The overall BA rating of "NOT WORTHY" leads me to ask the question, "not worthy of what, your majesty"?

3.68/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm not a beer expert, but this beer is very nice for the price. It's much, much better than any other beer I've tasted that's under $1 a can.
The appearance and smell are just average (not like the cheap pee smell some sub $1 beers have). The taste is great. Not bitter. A touch of sweetness and very smooth.

3.65/5  rDev +43.7%

I hate to hear people ragging on this little can. If your palate is accustomed to sucking on Heineken and other craft brews then, yes, I can see why this beer may not appeal to you. But as an American who enjoys 50cent cans of beer this little foamy bugger is tops!

3.6/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am glad this beer has “Classic” in the name. It is an ample and fair description of the beer. It has a slightly bitter flavor, near golden look, good head, nice aroma and brings one back to the classic times(for us older people). Even the price reminds me of days past.

I am glad this beer does not say “superior”, “private reserve”, or “best”, because it is truly not any of them. For the price this beer is great to try or cook with, but it is nothing special. I vote, buy a six pack, drink one or two and cook some brats with the remainder.

3.58/5  rDev +40.9%

First off, this beer is mis-categorized above as an Adjunct Lager. Its not an adjunct, it is all-malt, so it should be an American Pale Lager. Now, that really puts it in a category where its being compared to beers that are made differently (with corn and rice usually).

I get this beer from Trader Joes. $2.99 for a 6-pack of 12oz cans. Thats $0.50 a can, which is less expensive than PBR and alot of others on the market. For this price, this is definitely one of the best beers you can get. Is it better than Avery's Joe Premium pilsner? Heck no, but it also costs less than half that.

Overall this is a good session beer.

A - A clear golden hue. thin head remains through the end

S - Smells sweet, with weak hop hints

T - Sweet with a grassy note. Hop bitterness is low, with nearly non-existant finish hops

M - Well carbonated and very smooth.

O - Great on a hot summer day, or any time you want to drink a few beers but not be hungover because of a high abv

3.48/5  rDev +37%

A: Slightly cloudy, golden hued. White head, ample carbonation. No lacing. Really though, this should be drank straight from the can.

S: Malt syrup sweetness. No adjuncts, but still has some serious cereal smell. A weird mild soapiness.

T: Malty sweetness, again with a touch of cereal notes, not much hop presence on the end. Beer definitely tilts to the sweet ish side.

M: Carbonation diffuses quickly across the palate. While not viscous, this is definitely a littler slicker than I thought it would be.

O: To be quite honest, I'd drink this beer if it were closer to 5 bucks a six pack. I really enjoy it. It is simple and has no frills. At 50 cents a can, you'd be hard pressed to find more beer for your buck.

3.4/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thank you Bobby for sharing this beer. It was an honor to be a part of your 6000th tick.

A: This highly anticipated beer pours a pale straw color with a white head that quickly dissipates.

S: A surprisingly unoffensive aroma. Sweet corn and grain on the nose with a bit of rice. Perhaps some hints of hops in there to break up the sweetness. Lager yeast and even a bit of fruitiness can also be found.

T: Flavor is light, but fairly decent. Definitely sweet, but it has a nice mix of adjuncts and malt. A bit grainy, and a definite apple/apple juice flavor.

M: Light in body with a moderate to high level of carbonation.

O: A truly worthy beverage. Thanks for sharing, Bobby.

3.32/5  rDev +30.7%

Saw this at Trader Joe's, and pretty much bought it just out of curiosity. I am going to take style into account in this review, but still rating on my biases. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours your usual urine color characteristic of American adjunct lagers. Normal big fuzzy head, but it actually keeps a little layer instead of disappearing completely. I actually got some aroma just from opening the can. Not sure yet if that is a good thing. Smells sweet with a little corn aroma. Kind of funky in a bad way. A very light noble hop aroma that combines with the sweetness to make it kind of fruity smelling. Wow. For an adjunct lager it really doesn't taste bad at all! Fairly sweet with definite pilsner maltiness. Slight fruitiness, maybe a very light touch of corn. Not watery, but a little thin. It has a redeeming creaminess to it though. I really don't mind it.

3.3/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can poured into my Samuel Smith Imperial pint glass. The beer is a bright & clear gold with a large but quickly collapsing white head.

It has a nose of cereal grains and a hint of something floral.

the taste is sweet and grainy. Maybe some bittering hops in the backend. It is simple but refreshing with no off or odd flavors. Turns a bit dry with a hint of sour at mid glass.

The mouth is crisp and slightly scouring from the active carbonation. Well worth the modest investment of 50 cents.

I see this is brewed in Monroe which was the longtime home of Berghoff beers. At one time Berghoff had an advertising campaign that used name tags (hello my name is Berghoff..) I wonder is this a riff on or homage to the old campaign?

3.25/5  rDev +28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

App - Golden color, brilliant clarity. Very coarsely bubbled, producing a significant but very short lived white head.

Aroma is somewhat metallic (maybe from the can?) No malt, no hop.

Taste an initial sweetness that is balanced midmouth by some slightly discernible hop bitterness. Overall is fairly clean, and definitely not disagreeable for an adjunct lager.

Light to medium body, and moderately high carbonation. Mouthfeel is about what would expect from a beer of this style.

Overall - Always fun to scour the single beers at Trader Joes and look for new things. Not really my favorite kind of beer so don't expect to buy again, but a decently made, refreshing lager.

3.23/5  rDev +27.2%

Like its packaging, Red Oval is channeling 1978. You can almost smell the shag carpeting and hear Foghat in the background. Crazy-ass sensory recall of my youth. But, here's the beer:

Clear gold with thick, frothy head, moderate retention and some early lacing.

Corn, mild malt, some green apple aroma.

Slightly sweet, acetyl aldehyde-tinged malt. Inoffensive.

Thinner mouthfeel but some body.

Fine drinkability.

If you're in the mood for canned American adjunct lager and don't wanna spend $$, grab some of these. $2.99 at a Trader Joe's near you!

PS: keeps one's irony quotient up as well, which is harder than ever now that I'm over 40.

3.22/5  rDev +26.8%

Well, the label design is definitely classic. Reminds of those days growing up in the midwest (Iowa) and seeing cans of stuff like Schlitz, Schmidt's, Red White & Blue, Dubuque Star and Old Milwaukee everywhere. No fondness for those beers beyond the memory of them, just nostalgia. Thanks to mnwags for sending this one, which he assured me I wouldn't love, yet I go into this as objectively as possible...

Pours a watery yellow color, with a slight haze; the head is snow white and fairly thick...for a second. Then it visually and even audibly crackles down to a thin skim. Sounds like Rice Krispies in there. Fred Eckhardt urges us to listen to our beer, and this is one to hear, if not drink.

Clean lemon and fresh straw smell, lacking the DMS/veggie/corn aroma of many others of this ilk. Not amazing, but certainly kinda nice.

Flavor is on the fruity side, although lacks any real sweetness. Crisp and lightly grainy, with shades of peach/pear present. Thankfully that boiled veggie/DMS thing is mostly absent, and while there's hardly any depth to the flavor, there's nothing off-putting, either. Finish offers chewing gum, somewhere between generic bubble-gum flavor and Wrigley's Juicy Fruit. This characteristic isn't hugely pronounced or anything, but it does flash by. Finishes dry...so dry, actually, that the flavor pretty much disappears.

Although the bubble activity tries to be aggressive, there's a softness here that has the illusion of creaminess. But no, it's fairly thin, it's just the the carbonation is not attacking, as it is in too many, more popular versions of this style.

Well heck, it's not too bad at all. Drinkable, certainly, but if that's the best thing I can say about it, then I can live without ever having another one. Still, it's not awful, and I guess I expected so much worse...

3.2/5  rDev +26%

So I thought I'd try an "all malt" beer at the $2.99 price point, and I really want to like it, just to be the rebel I like to imagine I am. So here goes...

The beer pours a deep gold with some amber notes. Its brilliantly clear, with a low disapating white head.

The aroma is bready, doughy, and floral. There is no real hop aroma. This smells for all the world like a good kolsch. There are some low fruity notes as it warms.

It is sweet at the sip, with a discernable toasty malt presence and some caramel and graham cracker that lingers. There is a noticeable amount of hop bitterness and a spicy warming at the swallow but the finish is malty and maybe a bit flabby.

The mouthfeel is medium light. THe body is light, and the carbonation is fairly high, but more creamy than spritzy. there is just a touch of prickly warming in the throat at the swallow.

Ok, I did it. This has some potential, but needs work. I picture Trader Joes contracting to someone to make an "all malt" lager for cheap, but good. I feel like the recipe is fine, but there could be more attention to detail in the process to get a drier, cleaner brew.

3.2/5  rDev +26%

I second what everybody else said...great price (although Trader Joe's seems to charge $3.99 for this in NY state and $2.99 everywhere else) and a you-get-what-you-pay-for lager -- no more, no less. Retro-looking '70s-style label...all it needs is the old-fashioned pop-top and you can almost see your mom's avocado-green appliances and smell the crock pot cooking while you watch Courtship Of Eddie's Father (or Julia, or Mannix, or Owen Marshall) on your Dad's Curtis-Mathis. Have A Nice Day! BTW, can now says 5% ABV.

3.18/5  rDev +25.2%

The distinguishing feature of this beer is its cheapness. By that, I mean the fact that a 6-pack runs shy of $3. All else about this beer ought be considered in that light.

Now then... pours a medium light straw with a good 4 inches of foam into a pint glass. Surprisingly, it has a bit of lacing. Very little fizziness is apparent in the beer itself - relatively still.

Smell is close to undetectable. Flavor is a bit maltier than the Buds and Millers this stands against. Slightly more substantial mouthfeel as well. Drinkability is as you'd expect for this type of beer - no impediments to high-volume consumption.

All in all, if you just want a beer, it's hard to argue with the price. Won't be winning any awards any time soon, but then again they never claimed to deserve one.

3.17/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

While my review of this beer is probably not going to add up to a lot of points, I've got to say that this is a good value at $3 for a 6-pack. The look in the glass was all-american lager a.k.a. urine. The nose was very weak malt and bananas. I poured this can into a pint glass so I could get a better look and smell at it (bad idea really - neither characteristic being a strength), and the head took less than a second to dissipate, so I might as well get to the drinking. The taste was good actually, with sweet corn and froot loops being the major notes. The mouthfeel is above average, not overly foamy and pretty smooth. The drinkability is also above average, clocking in at about 15 minutes for "first beer on a friday". Better than the big guys, and cheaper.

3.14/5  rDev +23.6%

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you this is a fantastic beer. But for $2.99 a sixer, it IS a fantastic deal. Relatively inoffensive, save for a slight metallic twang in the nose and finish that was not entirely unexpected. Thin, cracker-like malt flavor up front, with an ever-so-slightly bitter finish. I can only assume the bitterness comes from hops, but really can't tell due to complete absence of hop flavor or aroma. Boy, does this go down easy though.

To compare to other American adjunct lagers: I would certainly take this over a Bud, as I find the flavor (or lack thereof) markedly less offensive. However, I'd probably still opt for a sixer of 'Gansett tall boys over Name Tag.

I actually prefer this to Trader Joe's Simpler Times, given that this is a little easier to drink in session (I think ST is 6.2%). And with the dollar I saved I bought a scratch ticket. A wise investment indeed.

3.1/5  rDev +22%

picked up a cooking beer - may as well throw a quick rating at it

a: clear pale golden in color, retains a decent white head, no lace

s: rice thinned pale malts, white bread, hops present but benign

m: carbonation lively, light bodied

t: pale malts thinned with rice give the bulk of the flavor, ultra mild hops, a little unwelcome sweetness lingers

d: it is what it is - an adjunct lager, nothing off, nothing interesting, but generally clean and drinkable

3.1/5  rDev +22%

Pours yellow under a fluffy white head that dissipates ... but a slight head remains! Plus one.

Nose is malt and astringent hops, vaguely, with corn present: hot popped corn out of the air popper. Oh well: I didn't say it was perfect.

Taste is ... wait. Taste is ... light. A little corn, a little malt, no hops to speak of. But it isn't unpleasant, and it certainly isn't killing the wallet. It is a bit sweet after the first sip or two. By the end of the can, I'm really feeling that it's just a little too sweet.

Very light mouthfeel. Drinkable? Yes, yes it is.

As an adjunct lager with bargain basement price, I have to thank Minhas and Trader Joe's for this, Red Oval, and other inexpensive beers. I'm a fan of Simpler Times lager and pilsner, especially to offer in comparison to other American mass-produced over-priced marketing abominations. I'd rather see this in the cooler than those other American "beers."

3.1/5  rDev +22%

I was not expecting much after finding this Red Oval at Trader Joe's, especially since I suspected (apparently correctly) that it was from the brewery that brought us the pretty bad "Simpler Times Pilsner." However, I actually find this to be a pretty good, basic lager and, unlike other reviewers, I find that it has some decent flavour. It is what it is, a basic, simple American adjunct-pale lager, but it is still pretty good, not only a lot better than "SImpler Times," but a lot better and tastier than many pale lagers, both from this country and others.

Gold, clear, it has a big, white head steadily shrinking to wisps with a foamy ring and leaving no real lace. It's standard but fine - I have seen many far worse looking beers.

The aroma is light, but pleasant, clean grain, hints of apple, grass, hint of mineral, and a faint hint of soapiness. Overall, it's a pleasant, decent "US lager" aroma.

The taste is light but surprisingly good, clean, clear grain, hint of crisp apple and grass. It's on the sweet side, but only slightly so, the light sweetness dominating a very faint hint of bitterness. It's clean, pleasant, with a nice, lingering light grain-grass aftertaste. It has none of the off, cooked vegetable character of Simpler Times or others, none of the stron chemical-soapy quality of some, and more flavour than a lot of much more bland beers (Busch, Three Horses, etc.).

The aroma

3.09/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours a clear straw yellow with no head or lace. Interesting grape aroma. Bland taste that I would describe as seltzer water with a hint of beer. Crisp, light and refreshing under the right circumstances; I'm actually kind of enjoying it after a long workout.
I don't find it as bad as most do here, and prefer it to most macros. At least it's clean and I don't detect any off flavors. Nevertheless, overall, pretty forgettable.

3.08/5  rDev +21.3%

At 2.99 a six-pack, I had to give this a try. This beer pours a golden yellow. The thin head dissipates quickly. The aroma was not too impressive. No hops to be found and a little stale. The taste was surprisingly sweet up front, with slight bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel was light to medium. Medium carbonation. Overall, this beer is great for the price. It is many times better than anything else you can find for 50 cents a can.

3.07/5  rDev +20.9%

Obtained from the local Trader Joes.

A clear yellow colored beer bordering on what I could call gold. A small white head forms and disappears.

Smells sweet and corny with a small grassy hop smell. Mildly sweet with a mild noble hop aroma.

Starts out sweet with a corn flavor and no real bitterness. There is a slight apple flavor here but not that strong. A taste that can basically described as generic beer.

Mouthfeel is light.

Drinkability is OK for what it is, a $2.99 a six pack TJ beer. It is OK but no hidden gem.

Name Tag Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery