Name Tag Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: flexabull on 08-14-2009

1.15/5  rDev -54.7%

I work at Trader Joes and we started carrying this shortly after the arrival of Simpler Times. I enjoyed Simpler Times, so I decided to see how this one compared. Not even close. For some reason, we're still carrying it. The buyers for the Trader Joes beer department are idiots.

A: Yellow with not much head and some carbonation. One lady returned hers because she said it had dirt in the bottom of the can. She brought it in and I took a look. I doubt it was actually dirt, probably just black sediment of some kind, but it didn't look good.

S: Not much there, just some sweet and stale grains.

T: About as appealing as the smell. Nasty grain flavor with an off sweetness. Poorly made beer and not worth the $2.99 price tag. One of the worst I've ever had.

1.26/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

355ml Can brought home from Washington DC:
This one was a disgustingly cheap & nasty beer that seemed to have a lot of adjuncts coming through as well as skunky off-flavours that reminded me of everything I usually hate about mass produced pale lagers. The only plus at the time was my thinking that it was my first beer from Wisconsin until I realised I'd already tried a few from there in the past

1.28/5  rDev -49.6%

After the first can, I stopped pouring it into a glass because it looked so poor. Almost water like with a hint of beer. It barely even tasted like a domestic light beer.

I am a fan of less sophisticated beers like old style or hamm's, most likely due to fond college memories of drinking them. And I usually do not shy away from a beer just because of price. But I should have known, even in the land of "two buck chuck" that $3.99 a sixer was too good to be true.

1.32/5  rDev -48%

Once, when I was in seventh grade, our basement flooded during a spring rain. I was able to divert the water while my parents were still at work. As a reward, my mother offered me my first beer. Perhaps it was a Genny or a Utica Club or a Matts Lager. It was one of those thin, heavily adjuncted lagers. I drank only a quarter of it and didn't enjoy another beer until I was 23 years old. Red Oval could be that beer--corn syrupy sweet, fizzy, not a hint of hops or malt. The only thing going for it is a large head that dies slowly and a smidgen of lace on the glass. At $2.99 a six pack, one shouldn't complain, but still this one's destined for the kitchen sink.

1.34/5  rDev -47.2%

Light golden color. Not much nose, just sugar. Tastes like someone poured a beer, then dumped a pint of water on top of it, and this is whats left. Soooo watery tasting. A hint of corn, but mostly just watered down junk. Even 3 bucks a 6 pack is too much money for me to every try this again.

1.37/5  rDev -46.1%

Can from Trader Joe's poured into a weizen glass

A: Impressive at first. Darker amber than typical of the style. A nice one-finger head, that becomes a half-finger head, then ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Fizzy.

S: Like a nasty barn

T: Apple juice. Seriously. Seriously.

M: Watery apple juice.

O: Want apple juice that says it's beer? This is for you!

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clearish golden color. The head is a finger high, with a white shade and crap retention. No lacing is left behind.

S: Umm...what is this? It smells oddly nutty. Come to think about it, it's really butterscotchy too. Some of the cereal grain notes are relatively well concealed, at least. There isn't much good to say about the nose, mainly because it smells like it will lead into a pure, unbridled tastebud terror.

T: Oh my god, it does. It features the massive cotton candy sweetness of the Simpler Times lager I had earlier, but somehow worse. Now it hit me - it's a diacetyl bomb that someone dumped five year old Werther's Originals into. The only reason I'm not giving it a one because it doesn't fall into the "bad flavor and no flavor at the same time" pratfall...it just has a shitload of bad flavor.

M: Heavy and super sweet - I don't want to drink this crap anymore, quite frankly. Moderate carbonation.

O: After the first two lagers from TJ ended up being not terrible, it kind of gave me hope for the others. Too bad two okayish lagers would lead into two horrid ones. I'll give the slight edge to this over the Trader Jose crap, but only just. They're both easy drainpours either way.

1.56/5  rDev -38.6%

Purchased as a sixer from Trader Joes - poured into pint glass

Pours quite clear, bubbly with okay head. Smells like solvent and corn. Tastes like champagne that has been left out for a week. I'm serious. It is god awful.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid this. Not even worth a tick.

1.75/5  rDev -31.1%

Well, I had this because it was free.

A: Light yellow, surprise.

S: A light sweetness and barely noticeable malt aroma; smells like a frat party.

T: Cloyingly sweet; tastes like a Dum Dum pop dissolved into water.

M: Thin as water with a carbonation like ginger ale. Not digging it.

O: The price isn't bad which I guess brings this up a bit? An adequate substitute for your BMC.

1.75/5  rDev -31.1%

Fairly dismal looking lager... practically clear with a bit of foam on top. Standard canned-beer aroma and taste, but even lighter. Mild malt corn taste, nothing bitter. Moderate carbonation and very light-bodied feel.

PBR is a very rich beer compared to this stuff. Extremely light-bodied with a flavor (or lack thereof) to match. I suppose that for $3 for a sixpack, I can't be blamed too much.

1.76/5  rDev -30.7%

Thanks to Geezer Jim for this bargain brew from Trader Joes. Well, I'm not going to do a detailed review. This an all-around average example of the style that I call Cheap American Lager ( Thanks to the late, lamented band Creeping Time, for that's the name of an album and song). You know what this beer is before you open it and it doesn't try to be anything other than a bargain beer. This would be a decent chore beer or for when you want cans for whatever reason. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Edit 6/12/12: I grabbed one of these without realizing that I'd already reviewed it and am changing my numbers from all 3's to the 3/2/1.5/2/1.5 you see here. I found this second tasting to be a sticky sweet mess. Just a syrupy, grainless, hopless, yeastless trainwreck of a beer. Avoid.

1.77/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is one of the two cheap 6-packs in cans at Trader Joes. Name Tag is $2.99, Simpler Times is $3.99. I prefer this one because it doesn't taste like sugary cereal. This one tastes like water. Straight water and the faintest bit of malt on the finish. I like the can. I'm hoping that one day I can get a 6 of this on sale for $1.99! Just 'cause it would be very cheap and funny. The smell is malty. Mouthfeel is watery as can be. Drinkability is hard to say. This is very boring and watery. Sure, one could drink a sixer of this stuff but it wouldn't be that fun. More of a chore. Best bet is to drink about two if you're feeling a need to drink some brew just to quench your thirst. Goes down so easy.

1.83/5  rDev -28%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Name Tag Lager is a very clear, very sparkling, pale yellow beer with a small, white head that dissipates pretty much instantly. It has a corny, beer breath aroma. It's light bodied, pretty smooth and lively. The dry finish leaves the mouth a touch chalky. It has a corny flavor, not sweet or dry, with a barely detectable bitterness. The aftertaste almost seems a touch sweet... and corny. Did I mention corn? This is the beer I expected to taste when I looked at the can.

1.84/5  rDev -27.6%

12 fl oz aluminum can served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, California. Acquired at Trader Joe's in Culver City nary but more than a few hours ago. Expectations are very low. It looks like and seems like shite. A full sixer ran me $3.49 - just over one cent per beer more than the best deal on Budweiser at Wal Mart. That makes this pretty damn cheap for the L.A. area.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Not paired with food.

A: Pours a ~4 four finger of beige colour, poor thickness, little cream (if any), and average retention. Lacing is awful. Colour is a clear yellow with little vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Far from an appealing appearance.

Sm: Straw, barley, and clean malts. A bit of an apple juice character. Not at all appealing. It really turns me away. That said, it could be worse. Mild in strength.

T: Stale malts, clean barley, a bit of straw, and a little cream. Bland, boring, simple, lacking subtlety, and dull. Why brew this? Swill.

Mf: Clean, smooth, wet, and thin. Suits the flavour only in the most general of ways.

Dr: A clean simple uninspired brew. Would suit beer pong on a good day. It's better than American macrobrew shite like Budweiser, but that's probably the best thing I can say about it. It'd be suitable for cooking. This brewery's simple times pilsner can be had at the same low price and is a better beer methinks. There's no reason to get this again. Avoid.

1.88/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Name Tag Classic Lager has a thick, white head and a bubbly, golden appearance, with some decent lacing left behind. The aroma is of a sickly-sweet grain husk, and the flavor is of sickly-sweet, dank, wet grain, foul sugars, and just the slightest bit of unpleasant and flaccid hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Name Tag Classic Lager finishes wet, dirty, and yucky. Overall, this is a bad, and almost undrinkable beer. You screwed up, Trader Joe’s! For those wanting to sample an exceptionally bad beer, this is one to check out.

1.88/5  rDev -26%

Poured from can into pint glass

A- Typical fizzy yellow beer with a good two finger head

S- Sweet grainy malt, dare I say bubblegum?

T- Strange sweet malt leading to an odd hop ending- maybe metallic finish

M- Light bodied and highly carbonated

D- I bought a sixer of this for three bucks and the first time I tried it I thought it was so bad I poured it out, and one of my fiends that was over poured it out as well. It was terrible. So I had the other four cans in the fridge for a couple of months and decided to try it again. It isn't good, but I finished the remaining four. It is good for the price if anything. I just won't buy it again, but I'm also a beer snob. :)

1.91/5  rDev -24.8%

A-tawny golden yellow with a 1" white head showing little lacing.

S-Like my father's breath after a union meeting.

T-Smooth and somewhat refreshing in the beginning leaving a bitterish foul aftertaste.

M-Thin and watery with decent carbonation.

D-I would drink it if it were free or the only beer I could afford.... preference is given to the Mountain Creek for cheap beer.

1.93/5  rDev -24%

This is a tough one to review, as others have stated, it's a very bland beer.

Appearance: A fizzy pale yellow. Too it's credit, it pours well and forms a nice head--that doesn't stick around long.

Smell: Corny. Only after allowing a good amount of warmup can I detect an extremely faint hop aroma.

Taste: Again, corny with a slight trace of hops, but nothing I can really identify. The aftertaste is a bit like Corn Flakes.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of fizziness. The carbonation stands out due to the dull flavors.

Drinkability: Yes, it's easy to drink. But after it's gone, I really want a different, more flavorful beer.

At 50 cents a can, I had to try Red Oval. I was hoping that it would be a little bit better than Simpler Times, but it's really similar or worse. If there's some other lager you haven't had at Trader Joe's, I'd suggest you pick it up instead of this one.

1.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Review from notes

Pours extremely light gold with virtually no head, what's there is gone instantly.  Smells grainy and slight corn.  Tastes weird, a little rice and some sweetness. Man, this is not good, and I used to drink Big Bear and Mickey's.  Mouthfeel is extremely thin.  Drinkability is low.

1.96/5  rDev -22.8%

Beer pours like a typical macro, fizzy head that reduces to nothing. Beer smells and tastes like canned creamed corn and is cloyingly sweet. I get no hops at all,or malt I guess just corn. 50 cents well spent, glad I didn't get a six, still, there ar worse beers.

1.98/5  rDev -22%

My daugther pocked this up at Trader Joe's While down state. She said the price was good and the can does look cool.
A-clear with a copper tint
S- Not much but a little corn
T- while tinking classic American lager no it was like weak fruit cearal
M- Classic lite lager o.k.
D- save your money and buy a 12ozer

Poured into a pint glass on 6/25/10

Pale yellow & clear. Carbonation bubbles cling to well over half the inside of the glass, feeding one finger of white foam. Retention is weak - nothing more than a skim. No lace.

The aroma is all riddled with adjunct: cereal grains & corn husk. Some earthy hops hints come through. Slightly toasty with wisps of way-too-ripe apple.

Emerging first is the flavor of near-rotten apple. Yippee. Toasted cereal grains & a touch of rice are apparent mid-swallow. A pinch of hops is noticeable throughout, but I wish it weren't. The only thing said hops do is supply a bitterness that is distinctly metallic.

Light bodied with average carbonation; seems decent for the style. The finish starts grainy then is overrun by an aluminum twinge. No thanks.

Red Oval is a pretty dismal beer; at best it's unpleasant. I reckon I can't be too surprised; after all, this costs 50 cents per can. Still, it's really bad.

2.01/5  rDev -20.9%

A: fat carbonation bubbles moving through a pale yellow backdrop. white fizzy head dies quickly.

S: a faint malty sweetness followed by some can. maybe a little bit of horse hair.

T: starts with some of that tin i got in thte nose. really bland, watery finish. would love to get some hoppiness, but it is almost entirely absent. slightly grassy.

M: not pleasant. not enough carbonation for the style on a body that is too light.

D: i got a 6-pack of this stuff at trader joe's for $2.99. ill drink them, but definitely not a beer i will seek out in the future.

2.03/5  rDev -20.1%

Trader Joe's was selling single cans of this stuff for just 50¢ a can so I bought one.

The beer poured a clear pale gold color and made a 1½ finger white head that looked like dish soap and lasted all of about 20 seconds. It left no lacing at all.

Not much smell to this. After I swirled it around a few times I got some cotton candy like sweetness along with a whiff of alcohol.

The only flavor in here is some sweet corn graininess. No real malt flavor and no real hop flavor. Just a pretty bland unpleasantly sweet beer.

Weak, watery mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Easy to drink but hard to call this a "craft" brew.

2.03/5  rDev -20.1%

My benchmarks for cheap beer are Budweiser and Miller High Life, which I like because they are not overpowering in any one characteristic.

Name Tag lager is cheaper than those, and worse. The corn and malt are predominant in smell and taste, and remind me of the lower ABV malt liquors.

If you like a lot of flavor to your cheap beer, I suppose you might like this over other bottom-shelf offerings. If you prefer your bad tasting beer to be as flavorless as possible, this is not such a good choice.

On the flip side, this mixes extremely well with Trader Joe's orange juice!

Name Tag Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery