Name Tag Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: flexabull on 08-14-2009)

zzurn, Feb 08, 2013

Evoforen, Dec 28, 2013

vfgccp, Sep 15, 2012

tmars13, Aug 21, 2012

Chando, Jun 13, 2014

Brushkanna, Feb 10, 2012
1.13/5  rDev -55.3%

I work at Trader Joes and we started carrying this shortly after the arrival of Simpler Times. I enjoyed Simpler Times, so I decided to see how this one compared. Not even close. For some reason, we're still carrying it. The buyers for the Trader Joes beer department are idiots.

A: Yellow with not much head and some carbonation. One lady returned hers because she said it had dirt in the bottom of the can. She brought it in and I took a look. I doubt it was actually dirt, probably just black sediment of some kind, but it didn't look good.

S: Not much there, just some sweet and stale grains.

T: About as appealing as the smell. Nasty grain flavor with an off sweetness. Poorly made beer and not worth the $2.99 price tag. One of the worst I've ever had.

notchucknorris, Mar 04, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -50.6%

After the first can, I stopped pouring it into a glass because it looked so poor. Almost water like with a hint of beer. It barely even tasted like a domestic light beer.

I am a fan of less sophisticated beers like old style or hamm's, most likely due to fond college memories of drinking them. And I usually do not shy away from a beer just because of price. But I should have known, even in the land of "two buck chuck" that $3.99 a sixer was too good to be true.

Shibbykaiyai, Mar 04, 2012
1.27/5  rDev -49.8%

Once, when I was in seventh grade, our basement flooded during a spring rain. I was able to divert the water while my parents were still at work. As a reward, my mother offered me my first beer. Perhaps it was a Genny or a Utica Club or a Matts Lager. It was one of those thin, heavily adjuncted lagers. I drank only a quarter of it and didn't enjoy another beer until I was 23 years old. Red Oval could be that beer--corn syrupy sweet, fizzy, not a hint of hops or malt. The only thing going for it is a large head that dies slowly and a smidgen of lace on the glass. At $2.99 a six pack, one shouldn't complain, but still this one's destined for the kitchen sink.

smcolw, Aug 22, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -48.6%

Light golden color. Not much nose, just sugar. Tastes like someone poured a beer, then dumped a pint of water on top of it, and this is whats left. Soooo watery tasting. A hint of corn, but mostly just watered down junk. Even 3 bucks a 6 pack is too much money for me to every try this again.

1Adam12, Jun 22, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -47.4%

Can from Trader Joe's poured into a weizen glass

A: Impressive at first. Darker amber than typical of the style. A nice one-finger head, that becomes a half-finger head, then ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Fizzy.

S: Like a nasty barn

T: Apple juice. Seriously. Seriously.

M: Watery apple juice.

O: Want apple juice that says it's beer? This is for you!

beerme626, Aug 30, 2012
1.45/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clearish golden color. The head is a finger high, with a white shade and crap retention. No lacing is left behind.

S: Umm...what is this? It smells oddly nutty. Come to think about it, it's really butterscotchy too. Some of the cereal grain notes are relatively well concealed, at least. There isn't much good to say about the nose, mainly because it smells like it will lead into a pure, unbridled tastebud terror.

T: Oh my god, it does. It features the massive cotton candy sweetness of the Simpler Times lager I had earlier, but somehow worse. Now it hit me - it's a diacetyl bomb that someone dumped five year old Werther's Originals into. The only reason I'm not giving it a one because it doesn't fall into the "bad flavor and no flavor at the same time" pratfall...it just has a shitload of bad flavor.

M: Heavy and super sweet - I don't want to drink this crap anymore, quite frankly. Moderate carbonation.

O: After the first two lagers from TJ ended up being not terrible, it kind of gave me hope for the others. Too bad two okayish lagers would lead into two horrid ones. I'll give the slight edge to this over the Trader Jose crap, but only just. They're both easy drainpours either way.

ThisWangsChung, May 17, 2014

atlbravsrno1, Oct 16, 2014

Hanzo, Mar 03, 2012

Purchased as a sixer from Trader Joes - poured into pint glass

Pours quite clear, bubbly with okay head. Smells like solvent and corn. Tastes like champagne that has been left out for a week. I'm serious. It is god awful.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid this. Not even worth a tick.

engagechad, Jul 26, 2011

jag21, Oct 04, 2012

carrollmel7, Mar 06, 2012

jstevep00, Aug 11, 2012
1.73/5  rDev -31.6%

Well, I had this because it was free.

A: Light yellow, surprise.

S: A light sweetness and barely noticeable malt aroma; smells like a frat party.

T: Cloyingly sweet; tastes like a Dum Dum pop dissolved into water.

M: Thin as water with a carbonation like ginger ale. Not digging it.

O: The price isn't bad which I guess brings this up a bit? An adequate substitute for your BMC.

AwYeh, Oct 09, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to Geezer Jim for this bargain brew from Trader Joes. Well, I'm not going to do a detailed review. This an all-around average example of the style that I call Cheap American Lager ( Thanks to the late, lamented band Creeping Time, for that's the name of an album and song). You know what this beer is before you open it and it doesn't try to be anything other than a bargain beer. This would be a decent chore beer or for when you want cans for whatever reason. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Edit 6/12/12: I grabbed one of these without realizing that I'd already reviewed it and am changing my numbers from all 3's to the 3/2/1.5/2/1.5 you see here. I found this second tasting to be a sticky sweet mess. Just a syrupy, grainless, hopless, yeastless trainwreck of a beer. Avoid.

beertunes, Jul 12, 2010
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is one of the two cheap 6-packs in cans at Trader Joes. Name Tag is $2.99, Simpler Times is $3.99. I prefer this one because it doesn't taste like sugary cereal. This one tastes like water. Straight water and the faintest bit of malt on the finish. I like the can. I'm hoping that one day I can get a 6 of this on sale for $1.99! Just 'cause it would be very cheap and funny. The smell is malty. Mouthfeel is watery as can be. Drinkability is hard to say. This is very boring and watery. Sure, one could drink a sixer of this stuff but it wouldn't be that fun. More of a chore. Best bet is to drink about two if you're feeling a need to drink some brew just to quench your thirst. Goes down so easy.

ELN, Dec 09, 2010

Ejayz, Jun 18, 2013

pjbfromkc, Jun 24, 2014

fastrodney, Apr 20, 2013
1.78/5  rDev -29.6%

Fairly dismal looking lager... practically clear with a bit of foam on top. Standard canned-beer aroma and taste, but even lighter. Mild malt corn taste, nothing bitter. Moderate carbonation and very light-bodied feel.

PBR is a very rich beer compared to this stuff. Extremely light-bodied with a flavor (or lack thereof) to match. I suppose that for $3 for a sixpack, I can't be blamed too much.

mithrascruor, Dec 05, 2011