Name Tag Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: flexabull on 08-14-2009)
2.7/5  rDev +6.7%

My wife (a devout Mich-Ultra drinker) brought this home after a weekend with the girls and said no one could drink it. So my expectations are pretty low.

Cooked corn. Faint floral hop aroma, fades with head. Vegetable after head fades.

Fizzy pours decent white head but dissipates quickly. No lacing. Pale Yellow color. Very clear.

Sweet corn flavor, some what grainy. Some astringency and DMS. Hop flavor noticeable. More bitter than expected. Finishes dry.

Very light body. High carbonation. Doesn't seem watery.

Light, fairly refreshing. The aftertaste would prevent me from seeking this out. Still not a horrible brew, would drink if there was nothing else around. As it stands tonight though, I can't finish this glass.

3.23/5  rDev +27.7%

Like its packaging, Red Oval is channeling 1978. You can almost smell the shag carpeting and hear Foghat in the background. Crazy-ass sensory recall of my youth. But, here's the beer:

Clear gold with thick, frothy head, moderate retention and some early lacing.

Corn, mild malt, some green apple aroma.

Slightly sweet, acetyl aldehyde-tinged malt. Inoffensive.

Thinner mouthfeel but some body.

Fine drinkability.

If you're in the mood for canned American adjunct lager and don't wanna spend $$, grab some of these. $2.99 at a Trader Joe's near you!

PS: keeps one's irony quotient up as well, which is harder than ever now that I'm over 40.

1.73/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to Geezer Jim for this bargain brew from Trader Joes. Well, I'm not going to do a detailed review. This an all-around average example of the style that I call Cheap American Lager ( Thanks to the late, lamented band Creeping Time, for that's the name of an album and song). You know what this beer is before you open it and it doesn't try to be anything other than a bargain beer. This would be a decent chore beer or for when you want cans for whatever reason. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Edit 6/12/12: I grabbed one of these without realizing that I'd already reviewed it and am changing my numbers from all 3's to the 3/2/1.5/2/1.5 you see here. I found this second tasting to be a sticky sweet mess. Just a syrupy, grainless, hopless, yeastless trainwreck of a beer. Avoid.

3.75/5  rDev +48.2%

You finish mowing the lawn on a hot summer day. You are parched, panting, and sweaty. You say to yourself "MAN! I could use an ice cold refreshing lager for DIRT CHEAP right about now!" Well, sir. Six of these will run you a whopping $2.99 at your local Trader Joes! More refreshing than (insert generic beer) by far! You will see the can and think these jokers are just a ripoff of Red Stripe! You can't possibly make me believe this is good beer! Well, it smells like (insert generic beer). *DOOK DOOK DOOK* It CHUGS like (insert generic beer)! It even goes DOWN like (insert generic beer)! HOT DAMN! That really hit the spot! MAN! I am SO glad I picked up two of these six packs because I'm gonna totally finish these off like they're water!

Seriously, if people are rating this as a crappy beer, they are missing the point. Some beer is built to be tasty and fulfilling and artistic and crafty and beautiful and great. THIS beer, like most other (insert generic beer), is built to be guzzled in great masses on hot days in the summertime like it was water, but not leave you with nasty aftertaste, bitter beer face, but a cleansed palate ready to eat more barbecue spare ribs.

Serious bang for the buck. Totally passes this summertime feed your friends barbecue and beer freak!

Poured into a pint glass on 6/25/10

Pale yellow & clear. Carbonation bubbles cling to well over half the inside of the glass, feeding one finger of white foam. Retention is weak - nothing more than a skim. No lace.

The aroma is all riddled with adjunct: cereal grains & corn husk. Some earthy hops hints come through. Slightly toasty with wisps of way-too-ripe apple.

Emerging first is the flavor of near-rotten apple. Yippee. Toasted cereal grains & a touch of rice are apparent mid-swallow. A pinch of hops is noticeable throughout, but I wish it weren't. The only thing said hops do is supply a bitterness that is distinctly metallic.

Light bodied with average carbonation; seems decent for the style. The finish starts grainy then is overrun by an aluminum twinge. No thanks.

Red Oval is a pretty dismal beer; at best it's unpleasant. I reckon I can't be too surprised; after all, this costs 50 cents per can. Still, it's really bad.

3.05/5  rDev +20.6%

Obtained from the local Trader Joes.

A clear yellow colored beer bordering on what I could call gold. A small white head forms and disappears.

Smells sweet and corny with a small grassy hop smell. Mildly sweet with a mild noble hop aroma.

Starts out sweet with a corn flavor and no real bitterness. There is a slight apple flavor here but not that strong. A taste that can basically described as generic beer.

Mouthfeel is light.

Drinkability is OK for what it is, a $2.99 a six pack TJ beer. It is OK but no hidden gem.

3.2/5  rDev +26.5%

Well, the label design is definitely classic. Reminds of those days growing up in the midwest (Iowa) and seeing cans of stuff like Schlitz, Schmidt's, Red White & Blue, Dubuque Star and Old Milwaukee everywhere. No fondness for those beers beyond the memory of them, just nostalgia. Thanks to mnwags for sending this one, which he assured me I wouldn't love, yet I go into this as objectively as possible...

Pours a watery yellow color, with a slight haze; the head is snow white and fairly thick...for a second. Then it visually and even audibly crackles down to a thin skim. Sounds like Rice Krispies in there. Fred Eckhardt urges us to listen to our beer, and this is one to hear, if not drink.

Clean lemon and fresh straw smell, lacking the DMS/veggie/corn aroma of many others of this ilk. Not amazing, but certainly kinda nice.

Flavor is on the fruity side, although lacks any real sweetness. Crisp and lightly grainy, with shades of peach/pear present. Thankfully that boiled veggie/DMS thing is mostly absent, and while there's hardly any depth to the flavor, there's nothing off-putting, either. Finish offers chewing gum, somewhere between generic bubble-gum flavor and Wrigley's Juicy Fruit. This characteristic isn't hugely pronounced or anything, but it does flash by. Finishes dry...so dry, actually, that the flavor pretty much disappears.

Although the bubble activity tries to be aggressive, there's a softness here that has the illusion of creaminess. But no, it's fairly thin, it's just the the carbonation is not attacking, as it is in too many, more popular versions of this style.

Well heck, it's not too bad at all. Drinkable, certainly, but if that's the best thing I can say about it, then I can live without ever having another one. Still, it's not awful, and I guess I expected so much worse...

3.1/5  rDev +22.5%

picked up a cooking beer - may as well throw a quick rating at it

a: clear pale golden in color, retains a decent white head, no lace

s: rice thinned pale malts, white bread, hops present but benign

m: carbonation lively, light bodied

t: pale malts thinned with rice give the bulk of the flavor, ultra mild hops, a little unwelcome sweetness lingers

d: it is what it is - an adjunct lager, nothing off, nothing interesting, but generally clean and drinkable

2.25/5  rDev -11.1%

Let's get this out of the way: At 50 cents a can, this stuff puts a hurtin' on Natty Ice, Milwaukee's Best, Busch and the rest of the budget beers. However, being mentioned in that category probably isn't a ringing endorsement.

The beer pours clear though the color reminds me of what happens about an hour or two after I'm done drinking the beer, the color far too dark for the style. Carbonation is fine and offers a crisp effervescence to the beer.

For a Lager however, there are little to no lager characteristics. It's a Pilsner, without tasting anything like a Pilsner. There's quite a bit going on in the mouth for it to match what it should taste like. It's obviously containing some corn, and yet there's no smoothness to the beer, none of the creamy goodness you'd even get from a Little Kings or a cream ale.

It's redeeming quality is possibly it's drinkability, because it does go down well, and it's somewhat quaffable, if there's little else around. A good filler beer for people who are BMC fans, but not much else.

3.2/5  rDev +26.5%

The distinguishing feature of this beer is its cheapness. By that, I mean the fact that a 6-pack runs shy of $3. All else about this beer ought be considered in that light.

Now then... pours a medium light straw with a good 4 inches of foam into a pint glass. Surprisingly, it has a bit of lacing. Very little fizziness is apparent in the beer itself - relatively still.

Smell is close to undetectable. Flavor is a bit maltier than the Buds and Millers this stands against. Slightly more substantial mouthfeel as well. Drinkability is as you'd expect for this type of beer - no impediments to high-volume consumption.

All in all, if you just want a beer, it's hard to argue with the price. Won't be winning any awards any time soon, but then again they never claimed to deserve one.

2.73/5  rDev +7.9%

Purchased from Trader Joe's and poured into my Ramones pint glass.

Pours a very pale golden color with a head that quickly dissipates to a wisp in a minute. Some minimal lacing, and a nice steady stream of bubbles keeps rising to the surface.

Smell is almost impossible to detect. Some mild phenols and the classic BMC inoffensive non-scent. Not terribly inviting, here.

This tastes just like any other macro lager, sans the absolutely disgusting after taste. Yawn.

This is a good one to share with a new neighbor who is obviously not into craft beer, which my neighbor, Jim, clearly is not. Boring. I'll reach for Simpler Times Lager any day of the week over this one. Oh well. $2.99/sixer, what did I expect?

2.25/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a crystal clear light staw body with a decent head that sticks around for a bit.

Aromas are pale malt breadiness along with creamed corn with not really any hop character.

The flavor is pretty much spot on with the aroma but gets annoying the more you drink.

The mouthfeel is probably the worst part of this beer. I am uncertain of the abv, but for an adjunct lager with corn you'd expect some sense of creaminess, but this lack any sense of it.

This is a simple, under hopped lager with little character.

3.05/5  rDev +20.6%

This beer starts out with a nice clear light straw color with a white head.

It has a mild aroma and flavor of adjuncts, fruitiness, and a little metallic twang. This is your dad's (or grandpa's) classic macro from middle America.

Light body, faint adjunct finish, and fairly smooth and innocuous.

Sure it's drinkable, but for those who have paid their dues, the overall impression leaves an intuitive wariness of having too many of these in one sitting.

3.75/5  rDev +48.2%

Like most items I find at Trader Joes, this beer has good value for the dollar.

There isn't any reason to over analyse it, what we have here is a simple brew that is enjoyable by at least "simple folk" like me.

The overall BA rating of "NOT WORTHY" leads me to ask the question, "not worthy of what, your majesty"?

2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Pale gold with a good sized white head and minimal lacings. Aroma is corny. Taste is corny sweet with a kiss of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is average. Nothing wrong with this typical American Lager just no reason to drink it again unless this is your style. Value is good at $2.99 per six pack at Trader Joes.

2.33/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Surprisingly attractive, light golden, with a billowy long lasting head
S: Nasty adjunct/corny aroma
T: It's been a while since I've downed beer this crappy (I don't do American mass-produced). I suppose though, this beer is as good as PBR, and better than Coors, Miller or Bud... (I drank it room temp...just in from Trader J.'s) Well ballanced, sweet, mild adjunct beer....what to expect?
M: It's about right. Nice lacing on the glass too--show's its got body.
D: I think on a hot day, just after mowing the lawn, it would be fine, ice cold, with me lying in the hammock... Otherwise, save it for your Beer-stupid friends...

2.42/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Poured a clean light straw yellow. Two fingers of white head developed and slowly dissipated to leave a nice foamy cap...which then dissipated to a ring around the edge.

Smell: Major adjunct corn aroma, a sweet floral scent, and not much else.

Taste: More of the same from the smell: adjuncts, but sweeter than I expected from the smell.

Drinkability: It's nothing complex, and it's nothing special, but it'll pass as beer.

2.33/5  rDev -7.9%

12oz can to glass.

Bright soapy head that disappears quickly. Straw color. Looks like an American adjunct lager.

Smell confirms adjuncts, I'd bet there's rice in there. Light, watery, smells just like Keystone Light. And I know that smell a little too well haha...

Taste is not offensive, just hard to find. Fits the style, so that's positive points. To be honest I'm just not sure how to describe what I do taste... the closest thing I can think of is hard tap water. Kind of metallic. I'm really trying to be objective here, not snobbish, this is just what I taste.

Mouthfeel... well, you can imagine. Carbonated water.

Worth every penny, at 50 cents each.

2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

$2.99 a six pack a Trader Joes.

A- Pours a very pale straw yellow. About two inches of light fluffy head. Head dies very quickly. Very little lacing. Steady carbonation.

S- Reminds me of keg parties in my youth. Very little hop presence, some grass, corn, and wet hair.

T- This has as much flavor as tap water, just a little hint of grain, maybe corn. Seltzer might have more flavor. There is no bad aftertaste however.

M- Extra light body and carbonation. There is a slight viscosity like feeling coating my tongue.

D- Drink-ability is high due to the fact there is hardly any flavor and no bad aftertaste.

F.T.- This beer is not for me, I need flavor in my beer. If you have any cheap beer drinking friends; do them a favor and turn them on to this.

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Leaves the can a clear, yellow body with a frothy, white head.

Smell: Mildly sweet-scented wafts of sad, subpar grains, basic corn meal, and floral-toned hops. Lager or not, but this is simply not too terribly appealing.

Taste: Lightly sweetish taste of adjunct-laden, grainy light malts. Faint floral hops with just the tiniest kiss of bitterness. Near-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Certainly an uncomplicated beer, but, for me, it just comes up a bit short in both the aroma and the flavor department.

2.95/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

yes! finally a beer that i can buy for less than $0.50 a can! ok, so there really isn't anything impressive but it does the trick when you're broke and have a TJ's in your neigborhood. VERY pale color. smells like a cheap lager. tastes a little 'syrupy' sweet with a hint of dryness. mouthfeel is average at best. on the flip side of everything, you can drink a ton of these easily....happy drinking!

2.95/5  rDev +16.6%

A - At a friend's in AZ. Had to try. Brought it home. Pours light, clear, near white head, some cling. Doesn't look too bad.

S - Harsh and grainy. Some malt shows up in the end.

T - Fleshier than the smell, but grainy, bitter and thin still.

M - Light body, good carb but not much to say about balance.

D - All beer has it's place. It was what it was.

2.13/5  rDev -15.8%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

Once again, an aggressive pour resulted in two fingers' worth of explosive, rocky bone-white head with low retention. It looked like the top of a lemon meringue pie just before it goes into the oven to brown the tips of the meringue. Whoops! In the short time that it took me to type that last, the head disappeared. Bye! Color was a slightly hazy lemon yellow. Nose was characteristic of the style - notes of bubble gum and cereal with a light lager-like sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with an exceptionally sweet taste in the mouth, like drinking candy. Woof! Finish was equally candy-sweet in its intensity. I CAN really do without this sort of thing.

1.85/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured from can into pint glass

A- Typical fizzy yellow beer with a good two finger head

S- Sweet grainy malt, dare I say bubblegum?

T- Strange sweet malt leading to an odd hop ending- maybe metallic finish

M- Light bodied and highly carbonated

D- I bought a sixer of this for three bucks and the first time I tried it I thought it was so bad I poured it out, and one of my fiends that was over poured it out as well. It was terrible. So I had the other four cans in the fridge for a couple of months and decided to try it again. It isn't good, but I finished the remaining four. It is good for the price if anything. I just won't buy it again, but I'm also a beer snob. :)

2.4/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

So there are cheap beers (High Life, Busch, etc), and then there is this. At $2.99 I had to try it. Pours out of the can nice and actually has a pleasant golden color that indicates it's clearly not a light beer. A tad bit of lacing traces the glass as I drink.

The smell is strange for a beer, let alone a lager. Hard to determine really but I smell caramel, bubble gum, and wet cardboard.

Ok, so initially the flavor was pretty bad. Slick on the tongue, sweet, slightly smokey. After eating a few spicy nachos however, it wasn't too bad.

Name Tag Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery