Name Tag Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: flexabull on 08-14-2009)
3.1/5  rDev +23%

picked up a cooking beer - may as well throw a quick rating at it

a: clear pale golden in color, retains a decent white head, no lace

s: rice thinned pale malts, white bread, hops present but benign

m: carbonation lively, light bodied

t: pale malts thinned with rice give the bulk of the flavor, ultra mild hops, a little unwelcome sweetness lingers

d: it is what it is - an adjunct lager, nothing off, nothing interesting, but generally clean and drinkable

blackie, May 20, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Let's get this out of the way: At 50 cents a can, this stuff puts a hurtin' on Natty Ice, Milwaukee's Best, Busch and the rest of the budget beers. However, being mentioned in that category probably isn't a ringing endorsement.

The beer pours clear though the color reminds me of what happens about an hour or two after I'm done drinking the beer, the color far too dark for the style. Carbonation is fine and offers a crisp effervescence to the beer.

For a Lager however, there are little to no lager characteristics. It's a Pilsner, without tasting anything like a Pilsner. There's quite a bit going on in the mouth for it to match what it should taste like. It's obviously containing some corn, and yet there's no smoothness to the beer, none of the creamy goodness you'd even get from a Little Kings or a cream ale.

It's redeeming quality is possibly it's drinkability, because it does go down well, and it's somewhat quaffable, if there's little else around. A good filler beer for people who are BMC fans, but not much else.

Wikipeteia, May 11, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +27%

The distinguishing feature of this beer is its cheapness. By that, I mean the fact that a 6-pack runs shy of $3. All else about this beer ought be considered in that light.

Now then... pours a medium light straw with a good 4 inches of foam into a pint glass. Surprisingly, it has a bit of lacing. Very little fizziness is apparent in the beer itself - relatively still.

Smell is close to undetectable. Flavor is a bit maltier than the Buds and Millers this stands against. Slightly more substantial mouthfeel as well. Drinkability is as you'd expect for this type of beer - no impediments to high-volume consumption.

All in all, if you just want a beer, it's hard to argue with the price. Won't be winning any awards any time soon, but then again they never claimed to deserve one.

MadTown1000, Mar 27, 2010
2.73/5  rDev +8.3%

Purchased from Trader Joe's and poured into my Ramones pint glass.

Pours a very pale golden color with a head that quickly dissipates to a wisp in a minute. Some minimal lacing, and a nice steady stream of bubbles keeps rising to the surface.

Smell is almost impossible to detect. Some mild phenols and the classic BMC inoffensive non-scent. Not terribly inviting, here.

This tastes just like any other macro lager, sans the absolutely disgusting after taste. Yawn.

This is a good one to share with a new neighbor who is obviously not into craft beer, which my neighbor, Jim, clearly is not. Boring. I'll reach for Simpler Times Lager any day of the week over this one. Oh well. $2.99/sixer, what did I expect?

raoulduke37, Mar 25, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a crystal clear light staw body with a decent head that sticks around for a bit.

Aromas are pale malt breadiness along with creamed corn with not really any hop character.

The flavor is pretty much spot on with the aroma but gets annoying the more you drink.

The mouthfeel is probably the worst part of this beer. I am uncertain of the abv, but for an adjunct lager with corn you'd expect some sense of creaminess, but this lack any sense of it.

This is a simple, under hopped lager with little character.

rtratzlaff, Mar 22, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +21%

This beer starts out with a nice clear light straw color with a white head.

It has a mild aroma and flavor of adjuncts, fruitiness, and a little metallic twang. This is your dad's (or grandpa's) classic macro from middle America.

Light body, faint adjunct finish, and fairly smooth and innocuous.

Sure it's drinkable, but for those who have paid their dues, the overall impression leaves an intuitive wariness of having too many of these in one sitting.

dedrinker, Mar 15, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +48.8%

Like most items I find at Trader Joes, this beer has good value for the dollar.

There isn't any reason to over analyse it, what we have here is a simple brew that is enjoyable by at least "simple folk" like me.

The overall BA rating of "NOT WORTHY" leads me to ask the question, "not worthy of what, your majesty"?

industrialswill, Mar 03, 2010
2.78/5  rDev +10.3%

Pale gold with a good sized white head and minimal lacings. Aroma is corny. Taste is corny sweet with a kiss of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is average. Nothing wrong with this typical American Lager just no reason to drink it again unless this is your style. Value is good at $2.99 per six pack at Trader Joes.

Spikester, Mar 02, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Surprisingly attractive, light golden, with a billowy long lasting head
S: Nasty adjunct/corny aroma
T: It's been a while since I've downed beer this crappy (I don't do American mass-produced). I suppose though, this beer is as good as PBR, and better than Coors, Miller or Bud... (I drank it room temp...just in from Trader J.'s) Well ballanced, sweet, mild adjunct beer....what to expect?
M: It's about right. Nice lacing on the glass too--show's its got body.
D: I think on a hot day, just after mowing the lawn, it would be fine, ice cold, with me lying in the hammock... Otherwise, save it for your Beer-stupid friends...

AnalogReigns, Feb 03, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Poured a clean light straw yellow. Two fingers of white head developed and slowly dissipated to leave a nice foamy cap...which then dissipated to a ring around the edge.

Smell: Major adjunct corn aroma, a sweet floral scent, and not much else.

Taste: More of the same from the smell: adjuncts, but sweeter than I expected from the smell.

Drinkability: It's nothing complex, and it's nothing special, but it'll pass as beer.

TheQuietMan22, Feb 02, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz can to glass.

Bright soapy head that disappears quickly. Straw color. Looks like an American adjunct lager.

Smell confirms adjuncts, I'd bet there's rice in there. Light, watery, smells just like Keystone Light. And I know that smell a little too well haha...

Taste is not offensive, just hard to find. Fits the style, so that's positive points. To be honest I'm just not sure how to describe what I do taste... the closest thing I can think of is hard tap water. Kind of metallic. I'm really trying to be objective here, not snobbish, this is just what I taste.

Mouthfeel... well, you can imagine. Carbonated water.

Worth every penny, at 50 cents each.

GrandeDrip, Feb 02, 2010
2.78/5  rDev +10.3%

$2.99 a six pack a Trader Joes.

A- Pours a very pale straw yellow. About two inches of light fluffy head. Head dies very quickly. Very little lacing. Steady carbonation.

S- Reminds me of keg parties in my youth. Very little hop presence, some grass, corn, and wet hair.

T- This has as much flavor as tap water, just a little hint of grain, maybe corn. Seltzer might have more flavor. There is no bad aftertaste however.

M- Extra light body and carbonation. There is a slight viscosity like feeling coating my tongue.

D- Drink-ability is high due to the fact there is hardly any flavor and no bad aftertaste.

F.T.- This beer is not for me, I need flavor in my beer. If you have any cheap beer drinking friends; do them a favor and turn them on to this.

sitarist, Jan 30, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Leaves the can a clear, yellow body with a frothy, white head.

Smell: Mildly sweet-scented wafts of sad, subpar grains, basic corn meal, and floral-toned hops. Lager or not, but this is simply not too terribly appealing.

Taste: Lightly sweetish taste of adjunct-laden, grainy light malts. Faint floral hops with just the tiniest kiss of bitterness. Near-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Certainly an uncomplicated beer, but, for me, it just comes up a bit short in both the aroma and the flavor department.

ChainGangGuy, Jan 16, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

yes! finally a beer that i can buy for less than $0.50 a can! ok, so there really isn't anything impressive but it does the trick when you're broke and have a TJ's in your neigborhood. VERY pale color. smells like a cheap lager. tastes a little 'syrupy' sweet with a hint of dryness. mouthfeel is average at best. on the flip side of everything, you can drink a ton of these easily....happy drinking!

yupitsmeadam, Jan 09, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +17.1%

A - At a friend's in AZ. Had to try. Brought it home. Pours light, clear, near white head, some cling. Doesn't look too bad.

S - Harsh and grainy. Some malt shows up in the end.

T - Fleshier than the smell, but grainy, bitter and thin still.

M - Light body, good carb but not much to say about balance.

D - All beer has it's place. It was what it was.

srandycarter, Jan 02, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -15.5%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

Once again, an aggressive pour resulted in two fingers' worth of explosive, rocky bone-white head with low retention. It looked like the top of a lemon meringue pie just before it goes into the oven to brown the tips of the meringue. Whoops! In the short time that it took me to type that last, the head disappeared. Bye! Color was a slightly hazy lemon yellow. Nose was characteristic of the style - notes of bubble gum and cereal with a light lager-like sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with an exceptionally sweet taste in the mouth, like drinking candy. Woof! Finish was equally candy-sweet in its intensity. I CAN really do without this sort of thing.

woodychandler, Dec 24, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from can into pint glass

A- Typical fizzy yellow beer with a good two finger head

S- Sweet grainy malt, dare I say bubblegum?

T- Strange sweet malt leading to an odd hop ending- maybe metallic finish

M- Light bodied and highly carbonated

D- I bought a sixer of this for three bucks and the first time I tried it I thought it was so bad I poured it out, and one of my fiends that was over poured it out as well. It was terrible. So I had the other four cans in the fridge for a couple of months and decided to try it again. It isn't good, but I finished the remaining four. It is good for the price if anything. I just won't buy it again, but I'm also a beer snob. :)

Misfit138, Dec 10, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

So there are cheap beers (High Life, Busch, etc), and then there is this. At $2.99 I had to try it. Pours out of the can nice and actually has a pleasant golden color that indicates it's clearly not a light beer. A tad bit of lacing traces the glass as I drink.

The smell is strange for a beer, let alone a lager. Hard to determine really but I smell caramel, bubble gum, and wet cardboard.

Ok, so initially the flavor was pretty bad. Slick on the tongue, sweet, slightly smokey. After eating a few spicy nachos however, it wasn't too bad.

ahking, Dec 10, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -18.7%

Trader Joe's was selling single cans of this stuff for just 50¢ a can so I bought one.

The beer poured a clear pale gold color and made a 1½ finger white head that looked like dish soap and lasted all of about 20 seconds. It left no lacing at all.

Not much smell to this. After I swirled it around a few times I got some cotton candy like sweetness along with a whiff of alcohol.

The only flavor in here is some sweet corn graininess. No real malt flavor and no real hop flavor. Just a pretty bland unpleasantly sweet beer.

Weak, watery mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Easy to drink but hard to call this a "craft" brew.

matjack85, Dec 06, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -22.6%

Beer pours like a typical macro, fizzy head that reduces to nothing. Beer smells and tastes like canned creamed corn and is cloyingly sweet. I get no hops at all,or malt I guess just corn. 50 cents well spent, glad I didn't get a six, still, there ar worse beers.

srrn, Nov 29, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Poura a clear gold with a smll amount of white head that quickly died.

S - Closer to malt liquor then I want to think about, lots of corn, cereal and alcohol.

T - Adjuncts and more adjuncts. I shouldn't be surprised but usually I expect some malt or hops flavor.

M/D - Weak and easy to slam duing beer pong but short of that not impressive in any way.

mwa423, Nov 27, 2009
2.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A classic variety cheap American Lager--which is not my thing--but it is what it is so I will review it as such. It is pretty darn good for the price and intended quality... which is the low end. If you are going for a cheap lager beer of this type, you may as well skip the typical big brewers since Red Oval is priced so much more appropriately for what you get.

I prefer this to Simpler Times Lager as it doesn't have quite as much sticky sweetness to my palate... in comparison, after 2 STLs, I'm out, but I could go for a 3rd Red Oval. But beware--like any cheap beer this is best consumed COLD as the less flavor revealed the better. There is a reason why the big guys focus so much on ice cold beer...

JTahoe, Nov 02, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +22.2%

Ok, keep in mind that this beer does not pretend to be anything else than it is. Cheap. All the connotations that go with it seem to apply. This does not damn the beer however. A wicked cheap offering from Minhas (Simple Times) via Trader Joe, it is fun order a case, barely marked behemoth of one that seems to impress TJ staff immensely. At 50c/can it is a bargain, but only if you want cheap-ass beer. Forget your trendy PBR, this is way better than your tasteless Bud Lites, &c , and actually has some flavor. Reminiscent of a Naragansett or Reading, it's worthwhile just for cheap bragging rights, and cheaper than the Portuguese-Polish-Indian cheapo lagers that seem overpriced to me. A bright yellow pisswasser appearance with frothy bright white head, Red Oval is better from the can than glass. Keep it honest. Corn-based & malty (like its pricier cousin, Simple Times),it is best served cold & in abundance. Would I prefer a Black Label? Yes. But again, 50c wins...

selecter70, Oct 23, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -14.7%

I ran into Trader Joe's to buy a few groceries and I immediately spotted a big stack of Red Oval Classic Lager six-packs displayed on an endcap. The price was $2.99 for a sixer. The cans were held together by an old-school plastic ring doo-hickey. Couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Poured into a clear glass mug, Red Oval formed a fluffy two-inch head that melted away to nothing. Still looked good, though.

Smell: It has a clean but strangely sweet aroma that reminds me of Circus Peanuts candy. Yes, Circus Peanuts -- the orange marshmallow candy that you ate when you were a kid.

Taste: Unpleasantly sweet, with an aftertaste that reminds me of...Circus Peanuts. Along with Coors Original, this is my least favorite American macrobrew.

Mouthfeel: Watery, with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm giving Red Oval a low drinkability score because I would have a hard time drinking more than a couple of these in one sitting.

Overall: Great price, but I'll stick with Hamm's (first choice) or Old Milwaukee (second choice) if I'm on the lookout for a good budget-priced beer.

Vito, Sep 05, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +18.3%

08/29/09- Purchased at Trader Joe's in San Mateo, CA ($2.99 a six pack)

Presentation- 12oz can with no freshness info. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Urine yellow in color...foamy 3/4 inch head quickly faded with light watery lace.

Smell- Very light on the corn, somewhat bready and a touch malty...not offensive.

Taste- Follows suit of smell. Some light corn flavor, but not enough to ruin the taste. Nice and bready and malty.

Mouthfeel- Mid range carbonation. Pretty crisp and fairly clean. No real lasting aftertaste.

Drinkability- Not bad at all considering. Would be right up there with some go to lagers (PBR and Rainier).

GClarkage, Sep 02, 2009