Name Tag Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: flexabull on 08-14-2009)
dedrinker

Kansas

3.05/5  rDev +21%

This beer starts out with a nice clear light straw color with a white head.

It has a mild aroma and flavor of adjuncts, fruitiness, and a little metallic twang. This is your dad's (or grandpa's) classic macro from middle America.

Light body, faint adjunct finish, and fairly smooth and innocuous.

Sure it's drinkable, but for those who have paid their dues, the overall impression leaves an intuitive wariness of having too many of these in one sitting.

03-15-2010 03:49:26 | More by dedrinker
industrialswill

3.75/5  rDev +48.8%

Like most items I find at Trader Joes, this beer has good value for the dollar.

There isn't any reason to over analyse it, what we have here is a simple brew that is enjoyable by at least "simple folk" like me.

The overall BA rating of "NOT WORTHY" leads me to ask the question, "not worthy of what, your majesty"?

03-03-2010 02:26:17 | More by industrialswill
Spikester

Oregon

2.78/5  rDev +10.3%

Pale gold with a good sized white head and minimal lacings. Aroma is corny. Taste is corny sweet with a kiss of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is average. Nothing wrong with this typical American Lager just no reason to drink it again unless this is your style. Value is good at $2.99 per six pack at Trader Joes.

03-02-2010 07:12:01 | More by Spikester
AnalogReigns

2.33/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Surprisingly attractive, light golden, with a billowy long lasting head
S: Nasty adjunct/corny aroma
T: It's been a while since I've downed beer this crappy (I don't do American mass-produced). I suppose though, this beer is as good as PBR, and better than Coors, Miller or Bud... (I drank it room temp...just in from Trader J.'s) Well ballanced, sweet, mild adjunct beer....what to expect?
M: It's about right. Nice lacing on the glass too--show's its got body.
D: I think on a hot day, just after mowing the lawn, it would be fine, ice cold, with me lying in the hammock... Otherwise, save it for your Beer-stupid friends...

02-03-2010 23:25:20 | More by AnalogReigns
TheQuietMan22

Iowa

2.42/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Poured a clean light straw yellow. Two fingers of white head developed and slowly dissipated to leave a nice foamy cap...which then dissipated to a ring around the edge.

Smell: Major adjunct corn aroma, a sweet floral scent, and not much else.

Taste: More of the same from the smell: adjuncts, but sweeter than I expected from the smell.

Drinkability: It's nothing complex, and it's nothing special, but it'll pass as beer.

02-02-2010 17:55:01 | More by TheQuietMan22
GrandeDrip

2.33/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz can to glass.

Bright soapy head that disappears quickly. Straw color. Looks like an American adjunct lager.

Smell confirms adjuncts, I'd bet there's rice in there. Light, watery, smells just like Keystone Light. And I know that smell a little too well haha...

Taste is not offensive, just hard to find. Fits the style, so that's positive points. To be honest I'm just not sure how to describe what I do taste... the closest thing I can think of is hard tap water. Kind of metallic. I'm really trying to be objective here, not snobbish, this is just what I taste.

Mouthfeel... well, you can imagine. Carbonated water.

Worth every penny, at 50 cents each.

02-02-2010 08:37:58 | More by GrandeDrip
sitarist

2.78/5  rDev +10.3%

$2.99 a six pack a Trader Joes.

A- Pours a very pale straw yellow. About two inches of light fluffy head. Head dies very quickly. Very little lacing. Steady carbonation.

S- Reminds me of keg parties in my youth. Very little hop presence, some grass, corn, and wet hair.

T- This has as much flavor as tap water, just a little hint of grain, maybe corn. Seltzer might have more flavor. There is no bad aftertaste however.

M- Extra light body and carbonation. There is a slight viscosity like feeling coating my tongue.

D- Drink-ability is high due to the fact there is hardly any flavor and no bad aftertaste.

F.T.- This beer is not for me, I need flavor in my beer. If you have any cheap beer drinking friends; do them a favor and turn them on to this.

01-30-2010 01:48:57 | More by sitarist
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Leaves the can a clear, yellow body with a frothy, white head.

Smell: Mildly sweet-scented wafts of sad, subpar grains, basic corn meal, and floral-toned hops. Lager or not, but this is simply not too terribly appealing.

Taste: Lightly sweetish taste of adjunct-laden, grainy light malts. Faint floral hops with just the tiniest kiss of bitterness. Near-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Certainly an uncomplicated beer, but, for me, it just comes up a bit short in both the aroma and the flavor department.

01-16-2010 19:18:42 | More by ChainGangGuy
yupitsmeadam

2.95/5  rDev +17.1%

yes! finally a beer that i can buy for less than $0.50 a can! ok, so there really isn't anything impressive but it does the trick when you're broke and have a TJ's in your neigborhood. VERY pale color. smells like a cheap lager. tastes a little 'syrupy' sweet with a hint of dryness. mouthfeel is average at best. on the flip side of everything, you can drink a ton of these easily....happy drinking!

01-09-2010 08:39:25 | More by yupitsmeadam
srandycarter

2.95/5  rDev +17.1%

A - At a friend's in AZ. Had to try. Brought it home. Pours light, clear, near white head, some cling. Doesn't look too bad.

S - Harsh and grainy. Some malt shows up in the end.

T - Fleshier than the smell, but grainy, bitter and thin still.

M - Light body, good carb but not much to say about balance.

D - All beer has it's place. It was what it was.

01-02-2010 07:50:14 | More by srandycarter
woodychandler

2.13/5  rDev -15.5%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

Once again, an aggressive pour resulted in two fingers' worth of explosive, rocky bone-white head with low retention. It looked like the top of a lemon meringue pie just before it goes into the oven to brown the tips of the meringue. Whoops! In the short time that it took me to type that last, the head disappeared. Bye! Color was a slightly hazy lemon yellow. Nose was characteristic of the style - notes of bubble gum and cereal with a light lager-like sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with an exceptionally sweet taste in the mouth, like drinking candy. Woof! Finish was equally candy-sweet in its intensity. I CAN really do without this sort of thing.

12-24-2009 20:00:43 | More by woodychandler
Misfit138

Tennessee

1.85/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from can into pint glass

A- Typical fizzy yellow beer with a good two finger head

S- Sweet grainy malt, dare I say bubblegum?

T- Strange sweet malt leading to an odd hop ending- maybe metallic finish

M- Light bodied and highly carbonated

D- I bought a sixer of this for three bucks and the first time I tried it I thought it was so bad I poured it out, and one of my fiends that was over poured it out as well. It was terrible. So I had the other four cans in the fridge for a couple of months and decided to try it again. It isn't good, but I finished the remaining four. It is good for the price if anything. I just won't buy it again, but I'm also a beer snob. :)

12-10-2009 05:28:42 | More by Misfit138
ahking

2.4/5  rDev -4.8%

So there are cheap beers (High Life, Busch, etc), and then there is this. At $2.99 I had to try it. Pours out of the can nice and actually has a pleasant golden color that indicates it's clearly not a light beer. A tad bit of lacing traces the glass as I drink.

The smell is strange for a beer, let alone a lager. Hard to determine really but I smell caramel, bubble gum, and wet cardboard.

Ok, so initially the flavor was pretty bad. Slick on the tongue, sweet, slightly smokey. After eating a few spicy nachos however, it wasn't too bad.

12-10-2009 03:04:28 | More by ahking
matjack85

2.05/5  rDev -18.7%

Trader Joe's was selling single cans of this stuff for just 50¢ a can so I bought one.

The beer poured a clear pale gold color and made a 1½ finger white head that looked like dish soap and lasted all of about 20 seconds. It left no lacing at all.

Not much smell to this. After I swirled it around a few times I got some cotton candy like sweetness along with a whiff of alcohol.

The only flavor in here is some sweet corn graininess. No real malt flavor and no real hop flavor. Just a pretty bland unpleasantly sweet beer.

Weak, watery mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Easy to drink but hard to call this a "craft" brew.

12-06-2009 09:24:10 | More by matjack85
srrn

1.95/5  rDev -22.6%

Beer pours like a typical macro, fizzy head that reduces to nothing. Beer smells and tastes like canned creamed corn and is cloyingly sweet. I get no hops at all,or malt I guess just corn. 50 cents well spent, glad I didn't get a six, still, there ar worse beers.

11-29-2009 23:53:11 | More by srrn
mwa423

2.3/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Poura a clear gold with a smll amount of white head that quickly died.

S - Closer to malt liquor then I want to think about, lots of corn, cereal and alcohol.

T - Adjuncts and more adjuncts. I shouldn't be surprised but usually I expect some malt or hops flavor.

M/D - Weak and easy to slam duing beer pong but short of that not impressive in any way.

11-27-2009 06:23:12 | More by mwa423
JTahoe

Oregon

2.7/5  rDev +7.1%

A classic variety cheap American Lager--which is not my thing--but it is what it is so I will review it as such. It is pretty darn good for the price and intended quality... which is the low end. If you are going for a cheap lager beer of this type, you may as well skip the typical big brewers since Red Oval is priced so much more appropriately for what you get.

I prefer this to Simpler Times Lager as it doesn't have quite as much sticky sweetness to my palate... in comparison, after 2 STLs, I'm out, but I could go for a 3rd Red Oval. But beware--like any cheap beer this is best consumed COLD as the less flavor revealed the better. There is a reason why the big guys focus so much on ice cold beer...

11-02-2009 15:36:43 | More by JTahoe
selecter70

3.08/5  rDev +22.2%

Ok, keep in mind that this beer does not pretend to be anything else than it is. Cheap. All the connotations that go with it seem to apply. This does not damn the beer however. A wicked cheap offering from Minhas (Simple Times) via Trader Joe, it is fun order a case, barely marked behemoth of one that seems to impress TJ staff immensely. At 50c/can it is a bargain, but only if you want cheap-ass beer. Forget your trendy PBR, this is way better than your tasteless Bud Lites, &c , and actually has some flavor. Reminiscent of a Naragansett or Reading, it's worthwhile just for cheap bragging rights, and cheaper than the Portuguese-Polish-Indian cheapo lagers that seem overpriced to me. A bright yellow pisswasser appearance with frothy bright white head, Red Oval is better from the can than glass. Keep it honest. Corn-based & malty (like its pricier cousin, Simple Times),it is best served cold & in abundance. Would I prefer a Black Label? Yes. But again, 50c wins...

10-23-2009 19:04:08 | More by selecter70
Vito

2.15/5  rDev -14.7%

I ran into Trader Joe's to buy a few groceries and I immediately spotted a big stack of Red Oval Classic Lager six-packs displayed on an endcap. The price was $2.99 for a sixer. The cans were held together by an old-school plastic ring doo-hickey. Couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Poured into a clear glass mug, Red Oval formed a fluffy two-inch head that melted away to nothing. Still looked good, though.

Smell: It has a clean but strangely sweet aroma that reminds me of Circus Peanuts candy. Yes, Circus Peanuts -- the orange marshmallow candy that you ate when you were a kid.

Taste: Unpleasantly sweet, with an aftertaste that reminds me of...Circus Peanuts. Along with Coors Original, this is my least favorite American macrobrew.

Mouthfeel: Watery, with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm giving Red Oval a low drinkability score because I would have a hard time drinking more than a couple of these in one sitting.

Overall: Great price, but I'll stick with Hamm's (first choice) or Old Milwaukee (second choice) if I'm on the lookout for a good budget-priced beer.

09-05-2009 01:58:26 | More by Vito
GClarkage

2.98/5  rDev +18.3%

08/29/09- Purchased at Trader Joe's in San Mateo, CA ($2.99 a six pack)

Presentation- 12oz can with no freshness info. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Urine yellow in color...foamy 3/4 inch head quickly faded with light watery lace.

Smell- Very light on the corn, somewhat bready and a touch malty...not offensive.

Taste- Follows suit of smell. Some light corn flavor, but not enough to ruin the taste. Nice and bready and malty.

Mouthfeel- Mid range carbonation. Pretty crisp and fairly clean. No real lasting aftertaste.

Drinkability- Not bad at all considering. Would be right up there with some go to lagers (PBR and Rainier).

09-02-2009 19:59:09 | More by GClarkage
Offa

3.1/5  rDev +23%

I was not expecting much after finding this Red Oval at Trader Joe's, especially since I suspected (apparently correctly) that it was from the brewery that brought us the pretty bad "Simpler Times Pilsner." However, I actually find this to be a pretty good, basic lager and, unlike other reviewers, I find that it has some decent flavour. It is what it is, a basic, simple American adjunct-pale lager, but it is still pretty good, not only a lot better than "SImpler Times," but a lot better and tastier than many pale lagers, both from this country and others.

Gold, clear, it has a big, white head steadily shrinking to wisps with a foamy ring and leaving no real lace. It's standard but fine - I have seen many far worse looking beers.

The aroma is light, but pleasant, clean grain, hints of apple, grass, hint of mineral, and a faint hint of soapiness. Overall, it's a pleasant, decent "US lager" aroma.

The taste is light but surprisingly good, clean, clear grain, hint of crisp apple and grass. It's on the sweet side, but only slightly so, the light sweetness dominating a very faint hint of bitterness. It's clean, pleasant, with a nice, lingering light grain-grass aftertaste. It has none of the off, cooked vegetable character of Simpler Times or others, none of the stron chemical-soapy quality of some, and more flavour than a lot of much more bland beers (Busch, Three Horses, etc.).

The aroma

09-01-2009 17:58:29 | More by Offa
RJUGA03

1.88/5  rDev -25.4%

A-tawny golden yellow with a 1" white head showing little lacing.

S-Like my father's breath after a union meeting.

T-Smooth and somewhat refreshing in the beginning leaving a bitterish foul aftertaste.

M-Thin and watery with decent carbonation.

D-I would drink it if it were free or the only beer I could afford.... preference is given to the Mountain Creek for cheap beer.

09-01-2009 08:26:21 | More by RJUGA03
daliandragon

2.55/5  rDev +1.2%

I saw this on the shelf yesterday at TJ's and literally started cracking up right there in the aisle. $2.99 for a sixer in this day and age? The name, label and obviously price scream "NO FRILLS" but curiosity and the silly price tag made me put it in my cart beside my customary Saturday sixer of the good value Simpler Times produced by the same folks.

The color is a classic golden with plenty of white head that lasts about thirty seconds or so before capping to nothing. the nose is faintly sweet and astringent but little else.

Pretty nondescript in taste, with a slight whiff of hops, a medium pale malt profile, and unsurprisingly few frills. Drinkable without being good but at least as passable as any beer you'll see a commercial for on TV not named Samuel Adams.

Not in the ballpark of the sweet but tasty and potent Simpler Times but certainly not going to break the bank.

08-31-2009 02:19:55 | More by daliandragon
jdoyle

1.9/5  rDev -24.6%

This is a tough one to review, as others have stated, it's a very bland beer.

Appearance: A fizzy pale yellow. Too it's credit, it pours well and forms a nice head--that doesn't stick around long.

Smell: Corny. Only after allowing a good amount of warmup can I detect an extremely faint hop aroma.

Taste: Again, corny with a slight trace of hops, but nothing I can really identify. The aftertaste is a bit like Corn Flakes.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of fizziness. The carbonation stands out due to the dull flavors.

Drinkability: Yes, it's easy to drink. But after it's gone, I really want a different, more flavorful beer.

At 50 cents a can, I had to try Red Oval. I was hoping that it would be a little bit better than Simpler Times, but it's really similar or worse. If there's some other lager you haven't had at Trader Joe's, I'd suggest you pick it up instead of this one.

08-25-2009 20:57:17 | More by jdoyle
smcolw

1.27/5  rDev -49.6%

Once, when I was in seventh grade, our basement flooded during a spring rain. I was able to divert the water while my parents were still at work. As a reward, my mother offered me my first beer. Perhaps it was a Genny or a Utica Club or a Matts Lager. It was one of those thin, heavily adjuncted lagers. I drank only a quarter of it and didn't enjoy another beer until I was 23 years old. Red Oval could be that beer--corn syrupy sweet, fizzy, not a hint of hops or malt. The only thing going for it is a large head that dies slowly and a smidgen of lace on the glass. At $2.99 a six pack, one shouldn't complain, but still this one's destined for the kitchen sink.

08-22-2009 20:10:21 | More by smcolw