Name Tag Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: flexabull on 08-14-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
3.08/5  rDev +21.7%

Ok, keep in mind that this beer does not pretend to be anything else than it is. Cheap. All the connotations that go with it seem to apply. This does not damn the beer however. A wicked cheap offering from Minhas (Simple Times) via Trader Joe, it is fun order a case, barely marked behemoth of one that seems to impress TJ staff immensely. At 50c/can it is a bargain, but only if you want cheap-ass beer. Forget your trendy PBR, this is way better than your tasteless Bud Lites, &c , and actually has some flavor. Reminiscent of a Naragansett or Reading, it's worthwhile just for cheap bragging rights, and cheaper than the Portuguese-Polish-Indian cheapo lagers that seem overpriced to me. A bright yellow pisswasser appearance with frothy bright white head, Red Oval is better from the can than glass. Keep it honest. Corn-based & malty (like its pricier cousin, Simple Times),it is best served cold & in abundance. Would I prefer a Black Label? Yes. But again, 50c wins...

selecter70, Oct 23, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -15%

I ran into Trader Joe's to buy a few groceries and I immediately spotted a big stack of Red Oval Classic Lager six-packs displayed on an endcap. The price was $2.99 for a sixer. The cans were held together by an old-school plastic ring doo-hickey. Couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Poured into a clear glass mug, Red Oval formed a fluffy two-inch head that melted away to nothing. Still looked good, though.

Smell: It has a clean but strangely sweet aroma that reminds me of Circus Peanuts candy. Yes, Circus Peanuts -- the orange marshmallow candy that you ate when you were a kid.

Taste: Unpleasantly sweet, with an aftertaste that reminds me of...Circus Peanuts. Along with Coors Original, this is my least favorite American macrobrew.

Mouthfeel: Watery, with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm giving Red Oval a low drinkability score because I would have a hard time drinking more than a couple of these in one sitting.

Overall: Great price, but I'll stick with Hamm's (first choice) or Old Milwaukee (second choice) if I'm on the lookout for a good budget-priced beer.

Vito, Sep 05, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +17.8%

08/29/09- Purchased at Trader Joe's in San Mateo, CA ($2.99 a six pack)

Presentation- 12oz can with no freshness info. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Urine yellow in color...foamy 3/4 inch head quickly faded with light watery lace.

Smell- Very light on the corn, somewhat bready and a touch malty...not offensive.

Taste- Follows suit of smell. Some light corn flavor, but not enough to ruin the taste. Nice and bready and malty.

Mouthfeel- Mid range carbonation. Pretty crisp and fairly clean. No real lasting aftertaste.

Drinkability- Not bad at all considering. Would be right up there with some go to lagers (PBR and Rainier).

GClarkage, Sep 02, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +22.5%

I was not expecting much after finding this Red Oval at Trader Joe's, especially since I suspected (apparently correctly) that it was from the brewery that brought us the pretty bad "Simpler Times Pilsner." However, I actually find this to be a pretty good, basic lager and, unlike other reviewers, I find that it has some decent flavour. It is what it is, a basic, simple American adjunct-pale lager, but it is still pretty good, not only a lot better than "SImpler Times," but a lot better and tastier than many pale lagers, both from this country and others.

Gold, clear, it has a big, white head steadily shrinking to wisps with a foamy ring and leaving no real lace. It's standard but fine - I have seen many far worse looking beers.

The aroma is light, but pleasant, clean grain, hints of apple, grass, hint of mineral, and a faint hint of soapiness. Overall, it's a pleasant, decent "US lager" aroma.

The taste is light but surprisingly good, clean, clear grain, hint of crisp apple and grass. It's on the sweet side, but only slightly so, the light sweetness dominating a very faint hint of bitterness. It's clean, pleasant, with a nice, lingering light grain-grass aftertaste. It has none of the off, cooked vegetable character of Simpler Times or others, none of the stron chemical-soapy quality of some, and more flavour than a lot of much more bland beers (Busch, Three Horses, etc.).

The aroma

Offa, Sep 01, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -25.7%

A-tawny golden yellow with a 1" white head showing little lacing.

S-Like my father's breath after a union meeting.

T-Smooth and somewhat refreshing in the beginning leaving a bitterish foul aftertaste.

M-Thin and watery with decent carbonation.

D-I would drink it if it were free or the only beer I could afford.... preference is given to the Mountain Creek for cheap beer.

RJUGA03, Sep 01, 2009
2.55/5  rDev +0.8%

I saw this on the shelf yesterday at TJ's and literally started cracking up right there in the aisle. $2.99 for a sixer in this day and age? The name, label and obviously price scream "NO FRILLS" but curiosity and the silly price tag made me put it in my cart beside my customary Saturday sixer of the good value Simpler Times produced by the same folks.

The color is a classic golden with plenty of white head that lasts about thirty seconds or so before capping to nothing. the nose is faintly sweet and astringent but little else.

Pretty nondescript in taste, with a slight whiff of hops, a medium pale malt profile, and unsurprisingly few frills. Drinkable without being good but at least as passable as any beer you'll see a commercial for on TV not named Samuel Adams.

Not in the ballpark of the sweet but tasty and potent Simpler Times but certainly not going to break the bank.

daliandragon, Aug 31, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -24.9%

This is a tough one to review, as others have stated, it's a very bland beer.

Appearance: A fizzy pale yellow. Too it's credit, it pours well and forms a nice head--that doesn't stick around long.

Smell: Corny. Only after allowing a good amount of warmup can I detect an extremely faint hop aroma.

Taste: Again, corny with a slight trace of hops, but nothing I can really identify. The aftertaste is a bit like Corn Flakes.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of fizziness. The carbonation stands out due to the dull flavors.

Drinkability: Yes, it's easy to drink. But after it's gone, I really want a different, more flavorful beer.

At 50 cents a can, I had to try Red Oval. I was hoping that it would be a little bit better than Simpler Times, but it's really similar or worse. If there's some other lager you haven't had at Trader Joe's, I'd suggest you pick it up instead of this one.

jdoyle, Aug 25, 2009
1.27/5  rDev -49.8%

Once, when I was in seventh grade, our basement flooded during a spring rain. I was able to divert the water while my parents were still at work. As a reward, my mother offered me my first beer. Perhaps it was a Genny or a Utica Club or a Matts Lager. It was one of those thin, heavily adjuncted lagers. I drank only a quarter of it and didn't enjoy another beer until I was 23 years old. Red Oval could be that beer--corn syrupy sweet, fizzy, not a hint of hops or malt. The only thing going for it is a large head that dies slowly and a smidgen of lace on the glass. At $2.99 a six pack, one shouldn't complain, but still this one's destined for the kitchen sink.

smcolw, Aug 22, 2009
2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

These aren't simple times as the Simpler Times was out of stock. Oddly, the Red Oval had an entire endcap dedicated to this new brew at a Trader Joe's in Encinitas. I was down for a single, almost thinking it was Red Stripe.

Pours a clear light straw with a thin white head. Not too carbonated yet the pour never let go of its surface cap.

Touch of Noble hops on the nose blend with some light cereal adjuncts and make for an interesting brew. Has a relatively long, albeit simple, finish. A bit earthy as it settles. I think I'll return and pony up $2.99 for a full sixer to better judge this beer. Bring on the Jacuzzi!

HalfFull, Aug 20, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +19.8%

This is a new beer from Trader Joe's, the can says that it is brewed in Monroe Wisconsin, so let's assume it's brewed by the same folks that brew Simpler Times...

Pours a crystal clear light gold color with a nice big white head.

Aromas are of... nothing. I really detect very little here. Maybe a little hint of sweet grains, but it's faint at best.

Taste is clean, and a little bit crisp, with a subtle creamy and sweet maltiness. There is definitely some adjuncts in here too, maybe a corn like flavor.

Mouthfeel has a definite feel to it. I just think it's almost too thick for the style though. Still it's not bad.

Drinkability is pretty good for what it is. It's a flavorful lager, that might be a touch too strong or heavy. But still, with the $2.99 for a sixer price tag? Give it a shot, it's not bad.

flexabull, Aug 14, 2009