Mountain Crest Classic Lager Beer - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: biggred1 on 09-26-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by fizzy:
2.78/5  rDev +11.2%

This is pretty much an average "lawnmower" beer. Along with the Mountain Crest Lite it pretty much is "not much". I agree with the earlier reviewer that there is a slight Malt Liquor smell to the beer when poured into a nice glass. I remember when Huber made beer, most of the regular brands they made were all the same beer, just different labels, and like the Mountain Crest of today didn't really excel, unless of course you thought 3 cases for $7.50 in returnables was "where it's at"! They did excel, however, with the Augsburger and Rheinlander Bock brands but they are long gone as the brewery went through the same problems that most of the good old Wisconsin breweries went through. While the beer is pretty ordinary, it is great that the brewery is still a going concern, and for that the beer shouldn't be down rated to much.

My favorite "i'm broke" beer ever! 3 bucks for a 6 pack just doesn't get any better. Light golden in color. Lots of bubbles. Sweet smell. Almost has the nose of a cheap pinot grigio. Tastes on the sweet side, with a lot of carbonation. A bit boozy for a 50 cent beer. This is the perfect summer beer, or "lawn mower" beer. Or in my case, it was perfect for my engagement party. I've had a lot worse beers that were twice the price.

1.5/5  rDev -40%

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of plastics, not a good sign. Taste is, well, yep, taste is of a Minhas beer. Crisp, some green apples, malts, a bit of plastic, a typical flavor profile from this brewery. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while not as bad as some of there beers, is nothing special.

3.05/5  rDev +22%

16 oz can poured into a pilsner glass.
5.5% ABV, 12 019 15 on the bottom of the can.

Thanks to Todd (Beerwolf77) for this one?

A - I can already see this being a great beer from the classic can to the www.damngoodbeer.com printed down the side. Crystal clear and goldenrod yellow with a poorly retained, effervescent white head with minimal lace.

S - Pale and pils malt compile the grist with notes of husky grain in the back. Adjuncty and blah across the finish.

T - This could use a bit more hop balance as it leans to the sweeter pils malt size of things. Rather grainy, malt-liquor like.

M - Crisp and highly carbonated, the smooth lighter body is a touch slick and finishes just a bit too sweet.

O - Not as bad as I expected it to be, truth be told, this adjunct lager is in need of more hops for balance. Maybe triple-hopping is necessary? Not a bad lawnmower lager though.

2.73/5  rDev +9.2%

Mountain Crest (Mountain Creek or Minhas Creek) has a medium, quickly dissipating head, some splotchy lacing, and a clear, bubbly golden appearance. The aroma is of sickly-sweet green apples and musty grain. The flavor is of sweet, Jolly Rancher apple-flavored candy, tartness, grain, and a dash of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Mountain Crest finishes harsh, ragged, and unpleasant (to an extent). Overall, this is, at best, an average beer, but it does has some character, even it it's a bad character. Try it, but you'll probably not like it.

RJT

2.68/5  rDev +7.2%

From the can-"Mountain Crest Classic Lager Beer starts as the purest crystal clear water and is craft brewed in small batches. Our gold medalist brewmaster ferments only the finest sun-ripened hops & two-row malted barley to create this crisp, clean, classic lager."

Wow..and for only .50¢ a can!

Here goes..

Pale golden with a fizzy, grayish white head that fades fast. Sweet corn and green apple skin, Mountain Crest smells like a light Malt Liquor. Sweet, with a distinct corn flake flavor and not much else. Light bodied and fizzy. It turns out Mountain Crest classic lager beer™ is not the ultimate craft beer experience! What a let down, oh well... it's still better than Michelob Ultra.

1.55/5  rDev -38%

Oh joy! The CANQuest (TM) is on the (fast) approach to CAN Review # 1,000 and local, in-person trader, tone77, has laid this gem on me to help speed the plow.

From the CAN: "Brewing Tradition Since 1845"; "'Craft Brewed In Small Batches"; "Union Made"; "Mountain Crest Classic Lager Beer starts as the purest crystal-clear water and is craft brewed in small batches. Our gold medalist brewmaster ferments only the finest sun-ripened hops & two-row malted barley to create this crisp, clean, classic lager."

Every fiber of my being cried, "Liars!" as I typed that out. I know what is coming and it won't be pretty. I just bought a 30-pack of Olde Frothingslosh and their level of seriousness is more deserving of any Minhas product, if you CAN call them "beers".

The Crack! revealed a brimful CAN, so maybe everyone is starting to get in on the fun. The inverted Glug was perfect, evincing a pseudo-cascade and forming approximately three fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with moderate retention. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and suddenly, across from me were the unholy trio of Midas, Mammon and Croesus, all wanting a taste. Usually, I would allow them to waste time in-fighting and begin drinking it myself, but I was in no hurry here and allowed them the first draughts. While they were on the floor, rolling around, coughing and gagging, I leaned in for a sniff. Minhas strikes again! It was their usual melange of plastics factory, dry cleaning plant, chewed pink bubble gum, unripe green apples and cotton CANdy. Ugh. The sound of heavy footsteps in the alley signaled the return of the Cybermen, here to subsume me into their midst by dint of drinking a product unfit for human CANsumption. I took my first drink and allowed it to roll around in my mouth, on my tongue, if for no other reason that my gag reflex was kicking in and I could not bear to swallow. It tasted like fermented hell. I was getting notes of stale tobacco to go along with all of the other off flavors and I began to curse NickD717 for starting me on this CAN Kick. Just then, the fence collapsed out back and the Cybermen began their advance on my house. Another long draught and when I looked down, my hands were encased in metallic gloves, just as my feet were in heavy metal boots. It had begun again! At one point, I had CANsumed enough Minhas products to develop a tolerance and an immunity to this sort of thing, but I have been CANfining myself to better beers of late, eschewing AALs and this was the result. Decent lacing began to form in my glass and it occurred to me that I might need to jackhammer it loose later, if I survived. Fortunately, all of my past encounters with the Cybermen had brought me to the attention of both Doctor Who and Torchwood and they had left a model of K-9 with me for future such encounters. K-9 appeared from his dormancy in my living room and began to repel the Cybermen as I choked, gagged and chugged down what was in my glass. Remember, no drain pours on The CANQuest (TM), if it is to count. The finish was raw, semi-dry, but in an unfinished way. It was as though it had not entirely fermented or the process had gone horribly, horribly wrong. Just as I finished it off, the Cybermen went into retreat and I got my insurance agent on the phone to get yet another new fence. I may start sending the bills for replacement fences to Monroe, Wisconsin ...

2.53/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

The second entry in SwillFest 2011. It pours a clear yellow straw topped by a short-lived sprig of white foam. The nose comprises water and some ridiculously light hints of stone and vague sweetness. Not much of anything at all happening in the 'strils here. The taste tries somewhat vainly to amp up the minerals, along with some meek corn, grass, and iron, but things are pretty nonexistent here too. The body is very light, with a high moderate carbonation and a pretty watery feel. Overall, a boring beer, to say the least. It's not really objectionable, but it's also not very easy to drink much of this, either.

3.5/5  rDev +40%

For the price and alcohol content, I would give this a solid 5/5. It tastes very similar to Budweiser with even similar graphics (colors) and alcohol content at half the price. If you want a cheap beer with mid-range flavor, try this. If you don't like Budweiser then don't waste your time.

3.1/5  rDev +24%

Review from notes

Pours a clear gold with little white head. Smells grainy, and sweet.  Tastes sweet, grainy, and a little alcohol.  Mouthfeel is thin drinkability is high if you're into cheap, cheap beer, or are just looking for something to chug because you're thirsty. I honestly would rather buy this for $3 a sizer than over $5 for a BMC anyday!

2.75/5  rDev +10%

1.28/5  rDev -48.8%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Transparent pee-yellow with a short lived foam collar, no real lacing at all to speak of.

S. Smells like apple/pear juice mixed with simple syrup sweetener from a bar dispenser.

T. Rotting potatoes, sugary sweetness combined with acidic vomitous bile, with a very long extended rusty metal finish. Wow. If it were possible to rate a zero out of five I would without hesitation. Seriously, a very pervasive rotten potatoes flavor either speaks for an infected can or a very terrible beer.

M. Light, thin and watery, but not quite carbonated enough to clear the metallic / acid haze from my mouth.

Oh dear lord, this one was really quite terrible. I recommend staying the hell away from this "beer". Even if I had happened to get some kind of infected can, I am not willing to subject myself to the contents of another on the off-chance that it might be better, that was how bad it was. It is just not worth the risk.

1.25/5  rDev -50%

2.68/5  rDev +7.2%

So this starts the swill fest...

Served in a tulip

This beer pours a pale golden color light white foam that dissolves fast. The smell has a weird mentholated aroma with adjuncts to malt on the nose as well. It's sweet, but not desirable. The flavor is really rather metallic in nature. The AAL is strong on this palate. This is light and sweet. Though it's truly hard to consume a lot of this.

1.73/5  rDev -30.8%

This poured out as a pale looking yellow color with a fizzy white head on top. The head settles into nothingness and leaves no head retention or lacing. The smell of the beer is loaded with malt sweetness much like most of the Minhas brews. The taste of the beer is mostly all malt, no bitterness at all, it's very one dimensional. The mouthfeel is light bodied, carbonated and watery, very boring. Overall this beer needs a lot more of a bitterness to it. It's far too sweet and really needs some bitterness to balance it out.

3.7/5  rDev +48%

I don't know who these dudes are, but anyone who would even attempt to get serious about critiqueing a typical american pilsner that is mass produced is missing the boat. Call them craft beers if you wish, but that would be like calling Bud Lite, or Miller Draft, or Coors craft beers. If all beers were bitter that would get a little boring don't you think? And I certainly would not be bold enough to suggest how breweries should change their beers to suit my personal tastes. If they were foolish enough to do so we would have how many varieties of beer on the planet earth? Let me answer that question for you. The answer I believe is obviously...one.
I happen to like beers that are malty. It's my favorite characteristic in a beer. I also like sweetness in a beer. Mountaincrest not only has a deeper color than most typical american lagers, it also has a stronger, bolder flavor which makes it most desirable. Foaming characteristics? Who cares? Most beer drinkers don't drink the foam and actually wait for it to dissipate. Nose? You've GOT to be kidding! When is the last time you worried about the smell of a Miller Lite? I not only like the taste of MountainCrest, I think it is one of the better tasting beers in the store. College kids should be going nuts over this stuff. And the price is definitely a plus for beer drinkers that like quantity.
I heard that MountainCrest and Boxer are actually the same beer. Not as far as I could tell. The boxer looked paler in color and weaker in taste. Although I must admit I did not try them side by side. I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find out. Still, $12.99 for 36 cans translates into 36 cents a can. If there is anyone out there that is beating that price let us know!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »