Huber Bock Beer - Minhas Craft Brewery

Huber Bock BeerHuber Bock Beer

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Bock |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
3.79/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Too right, it's from a CAN! I am the first and it came to me in support of The CANQuest courtesy of my local, in-person trader, tone77. At first, I wondered why he did not review it from a CAN first and then I realized that he is a much wiser lad than I will ever be. It's a Minhas product (not a beer, per se) and we all know what that gets us.

It's a busy 16-oz. Rexam CAN that does its level best to obscure its origin. From said CAN: "Brewing Excellence Since 1845"; "From the Oldest Brewery in the Midwest"; "Craft Brewed and Enjoyed Since 1845"; "Why Craft Beer in a CAN? C[AN]s go where glass [CAN]'t such as stadiums, parking lots, parks, golf courses, lakes, boats and beaches. C[AN]s are eco-friendly as they require less energy to produce, ship, chill and recycle. C[AN]s have Keg-like quality as they won't let in light or air - always keeping beer pure and fresh."; "Premium beer serve chilled at 3 C/38 F"; "Pour [CAN]tents in frosted glass. Enjoy!"; "Bock in German means Goat"; "We have been brewing Bock beer for well over 100 years. We are the oldest brewery in North America still making great tasting smooth Bock beer."; "Huber Bock has a pronounced malty aroma and flavor that dominates over the clean, crisp, moderate hop bitterness."; "'All Trademarks and Designs are the property of Mountain Crest SRL'".

The Crack revealed some brown foam that was eager to escape its metallic CANfines and I decided to unleash the beast. The aggro Glug got a fine cascading action going and I was CANtent to sit back and watch the show. This was actually starting to look like it might be drinkable! I had close to three fingers of dense, deep-tan head with great retention. Color was a deep-brown with ruby highlights and NE-quality clarity. Did somebody make a mistake and make an actual beer at that swill factory? Nose was rich with caramel and chocolate malts and although I am not into sweet beers, there was no way that I was going to dun them for it. Mouthfeel was medium-to full and the taste was milk chocolaty, very tasty, almost like a chocolate milkshake. Finish was likewise quite sweet, reducing its drinkability for me, but a minor point. This disappoints me in the same way that the beers that come out of the Sandlot at Coors Field disappoint me - if you are capable of making something decent, then why do you waste your time brewing rubbish? Color this one Worth a Try.

3.75/5  rDev +21%

1.5/5  rDev -51.6%

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

330 mL bottle, into a shaker pint. Pours a really bark brown colour maybe a bit of a red tinge, with a nice cap of tan head, retention is decent, leaves some alright lacing and film.

Smell has a lot of roasty dark malts, slight caramel. Charcoal and earthy notes. Some bitterness and estery character, mild saltiness. Altogether quite rich, malty, interesting.

Taste has a interesting floral estery start that is a little on the sweet side, with a lot of heavy roasted malt. Grapefruity, fruitiness comes through that is quite juicy. Quite rich, dark malt is really forward, but it is pretty smoothed by the carbonation. Bitterness is mild, a bit of a dry citrus. Finish is mildly bitter, dry, pretty short. Pretty flavourful but not that complex, and could be more balance at times.

Mouthfeel is moderate bodied, light carbonation, but really malty and creamy smooth on the palate. Pretty drinkable and refreshing. A bit of a slight metalic feel, gets noticeably worse as it warms.

A flavourful bock, could improve with some balance and more complexity as its fairly straightforward. Pretty tasty though, not sure I would recommend it highly.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

2.53/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out as a decent looking brown color with a light cream colored head on top. The head settles and leaves some light lacing on the glass. So far so good. The smell of the beer has a lager-like aroma mixed with some caramel malt aromas. The taste of the beer is decent but nothing exciting. The caramel notes in the flavor are dominated by the lager yeast spiciness. The mouthfeel was a little on the thin side on this beer. Overall this beer needs more malt, it needs to be sweeter and needs a stronger bitterness in the finish. There isn't enough body to this beer either, it's too watery for a bock style.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

2.25/5  rDev -27.4%

3.75/5  rDev +21%

Pours extremely dark brown to black, it is opaque and turns ruby when held to the light. There is a small off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly but leaves some light lacing down the glass. The aroma is sweet but tangy. There is a good bit of malt vinegar in the aroma and some dark roasted malt, with very light coffee and cocoa. The aroma actually reminds me quite a bit of some Scottish ales. The taste is a just-right sweetness, coffee, dark chocolate and very dark, dried fruit. This is a really nice beer.

3.78/5  rDev +21.9%

This beer pours a very deep amber color, with a slightly off white head. The aroma is fruity, which is unique for a bock beer. The taste is very fruity as well, with a slight caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium light, and I would consider this a very drinkable beer.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Clear deep golden/amber in color. Had a nice foamy off-white head that retained nicely and left good lacing as it receded to a nice frothy cap.

Smell: Sweet and malty with hints of caramel and wheat. Little hops detected.

Taste: As it smells, sweet and flavors of dark caramel and vanilla. There was a nice little hops bite on the finish.

Mouth feel: Creamy and smooth, with good carbonation.

Drinkability: A good well-balanced example of a Bock beer. very drinkable and I could easily session this beer when I'm in the mood for Bock's. A nice find in Wisconsin.

3.9/5  rDev +25.8%

A - This mahogany brew is darker than I expected, and its topped with a nice little cap of beige foam. Ruby red highlights appear near the edges of the glass, and some nice lace sticks around.

S - Toasted nuts, toasted coconut, campfire-burnt marshmallow, and a hint of bitter baker's chocolate. Smells amazing.

T - Big on the toasted coconut and hazelnut notes. I can taste some serious smoke going on here... almost rauchbier-like in nature. There is a bit of soy-sauce off flavor in the background, but its not offensive enough to detract much from the really nice flavors that remind me of dinner time at the campground.

M - On the light side of medium bodied, but not thin by any means. Lean and ripped is what I'd call it. This has quite a bit of carbonation, and that helps keep it lively.

D - Damn good beer! I thought that this was a lower-quality local thing, but I've very pleasantly surprised! I found a 12-pack of this for a song at a local joint, and I'm totally going back for more... can't pass up deals like these. Good beer at a good price is harder and harder to come by these days.

3.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brown/ruby color with an off-white head that falls to a minimal head.

Has a fairly decent sweet malt aroma to it.

It has a roasted, sweet malt taste to it, not bad. Mild bitter aftertaste.

Thin to medium bodied in the mouth with moderate carbonation.

It's better when it's a bit warmer, caramel malts come out. Fairly drinkable beer, was better than I expected.

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours copper.

Smells fairly toasty and malty.

Taste errs on the plain side. This hints at a bock, I pick up a tiny bit of malt and some caramel flavors. Flavors are decent, but too light to take seriously though.

Mouthfeel too thin.

Fairly drinkable, but not overly interesting, and far from the style.

1.55/5  rDev -50%

Yack! I've had this lots over the years, but this time it got a major problem with butterscotch. I'll try to get around it, but it ain't easy. Served with a medium sized, off-white head and some lace. Color is a nice, not quite clear brown with dark red highlights. Aroma smacks me down wth that butterscotch - ugh. But, somewhere in there is some malt and a little chocolate, good malt. Flavor is BUTTERSCOTCH - BLAAAHH. Can't finish it. Draft lines are clean here too. No more, pleeeeze

3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

I began to buy this beer years ago because of it's cheap price and also because I enjoy bock beers. Upon my first taste I was hooked. It became a regular beer of mine. I couldn't believe something this tasty could be so inexpensive. I felt I had stummbled upon something that the rest of the world didn't know about. While everyone else around me was gulping down Bud and Miller products, I was savoring this caramel colored, sweet brew made about 75 miles away from my town and I seemed to be the only one who knew about it. Then I began telling others about and they soon became converts. One day I asked one of these converts if they were still drinkling Huber Bock. He replied that he stopped buying it because it tore up his stomach. It wasn't long after that that I too began running to the bathroom after just drinking a few sips from one bottle. Then, one weekend I must of drank about 12 bottles and became deathly ill. I even began pissing blood.I had never gotten so sick off of beer before and I tried returning the remaining bottles to the store where I purchased them. I told the manager what had happened and he said I was the first person that he knew of that had tried to return beer. In conclusion, I would say to you that if you decide to drink Huber Bock, make sure there is a bathroom nearby with several rolls of t.p.

Huber Bock Beer from Minhas Craft Brewery