Boxer Ice - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 02-12-2011)
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.78/5  rDev +21.9%

Pours golden with a fluffy white head with decent retention. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is grainy with a hint of booze.

The taste is of sweet grain, some cooked veggies. Raw alcohol in the finish.

It is pretty smooth despite noticeable alcohol. A bit slick.

Not terrible for a cheap, boozy brew.

12-29-2013 22:35:27 | More by jwc215
Bald40

2.64/5  rDev +15.8%

Boxer. Ahhh, a beer from the famous Minhas Brewery. First let me say, at $13.99 for a 36 pack, my interest was truly piqued. Probably the cheapest price I've seen for a beer.

This was not a beer of bad odour. In fact, the aroma was quite pleasant, the coloring nice and crystal and golden amber like the dry fields of grain just before harvest.

Fist impressions on flavor. It does have the characteristic "Ice" flavor, which itself is a bit crystal-like and mildly metallic with mild alcoholic overtones. This is not a bad thing, but is to be expected with an Ice beer. However, tinges of sourness did creep out and tangle with the taste buds.

The beer goes down easily enough and should be served as close to ice cold as possible. Freezer it out of the fridge for about 15 minutes and you'll experience really a pleasant, malty-syrupy tingle as the cold beer rolls down your throat. Drink this on an empty stomach and you'll find you nice gentle beer buzz creep up and leave you happy. That is what we're all seeking isn't it. Ultimately, it's about the fumes, but the taste in delivery matters, so....

Overall this is not a bad beer, and one to keep in your fridge for emergencies, to enjoy after hard work-outs, or just to have fun with. I probably was too harsh on my scores, but for all of you cheap beer chasers, this is one to at least try.

Would I buy it again? Well, the question first is, can I finish the 36 pack the way it is? Even with bad beer, don't we always say, "Never again! I'll never finish this!" And then, a dry spell comes around, the liquor store is closed. It's Sunday, or you have a few days off and the gang is coming over tonight and you are broke...and then Boxer becomes the best beer in the world at that moment, for it's the beer that you have and you'll be thankful for it and you'll drink it.

11-06-2013 21:19:14 | More by Bald40
WKyle

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%

11-02-2013 02:16:42 | More by WKyle
NeroFiddled

2.75/5  rDev +20.6%

From the mighty Minhas (Craft) Brewery comes - Boxer Ice !!!

Poured into a glass, the body displays a very nice looking, clear, deep-gold body. The bright white head instantly fades, but what do you expect? Average sized bubbles can be seen rising steadily; and it does leave occasional spots and smears of lacing here and there.

The aroma reveals a sweet maltiness that's more of "sweet" than of "malt", but at least it's pleasant and, for the most part, clean. There are even some hops in there although they don't really stand out - interesting! A pleasant note of fruitiness appears as it begins to warm, which is unfortunately followed by a little bit of alcohol as well, and some mild phenolic. How strong is this beer? There shouldn't be any alcohol appearing at just 5.5% by volume. Maybe this is the high gravity beer watered down a bit (but not quite enough)... then they water it down again to get Boxer Lager, and yet again to get Boxer Light. C'est la vie.

The flavor reveals what the aroma has suggested. The malt is obviously bumped with adjunct, but it's not cloying. It's sweet like a sugar cookie, and maybe a little bit sticky, but it's not overwhelming; and the fact that there are some hops in play makes it seem a little bit more in balance. As to the hops, they seem very floral (although that might be due to a combination with the sweet malt and alcohol) but also a touch citrusy. They're certainly no what you might expect in a beer at this price point (which would be dull, leafy/tea-like and maybe a touch floral if you were lucky).

In the mouth it's on the medium-full side, and the carbonation gently bristles the tongue. I'm not sure that's particularly what I want for this kind of beer, but I'm not going to fault it... it gains extra points here.

Overall, I found it interesting (well at least the first one anyway) and fairly enjoyable in that it was sweet (malty) with a touch of hops. I should note, however, that I highly doubt it would be any good if it was at all warmed. It's flawed and that holds it back, but at least it's cheap! On the other hand (some quick calculations: 30 cans Genessee or Hamm's @ $13.99 = .4663 VS. 36 cans @ $14.99 = .4163), it's just .05 cents less per can than some better made beer. In the end I think I'll go for quality over quirky.

10-29-2013 22:15:57 | More by NeroFiddled
jkrane

Ontario (Canada)

I don't know what's wrong with the previous poster's tastebuds, but I decided to try boxer ICE 3 weeks ago, and have not looked back since.

I've drank many different beers over the years, and I must say, I'm extremely impressed with boxer ICE. I remember seeing an advertisement for boxer lager, which was the cheapest beer on the market. I'm a man of meager means, so anytime I can save a dollar, I do. At $2.25CDN for a 710mL can, how could I go wrong?

I crack open a can, I pour it, pours beautifully, and has a lovely amber colour. It looks like a damn good beer. Looks refreshing in a mason jar, which is what I drink it out of, because I love the colour.

I've tried many beers: Heineken, Tuborg, Lowenbrau, Budweiser, Labatt, Molson, Laker, Lakeport, Sleeman, Alexander Keith, Rickards, Carling, Corona, Kawartha Lakes, Mill Street, Steam Whistle, you name it, I have drank it on multiple occasions.

I have never been so impressed with such a cheap beer. I only buy this stuff now. I look forward to drinking a mason jar full of boxer ice after a hard day, or on the weekends.

It goes great with a meal. It's a sweet, but not too sweet. Can be drank warm or cold, but very nice cold.

I expected this beer to be a cheap swill, but it's not. It is my new favourite beer, and deserves the praise of a good review.

Ahhh! I just took a sip now, crisp, fresh flavour. Not too bitter, not too carbonated, not too much bite, just a smooth, refreshing beer, which goes down easy, and has a lovely after taste.

Hats off to Minhas Brewery! Let the boxer flow through the streets!

So delicious...for such a cheap price. It's almost too good to be true. But it is true, that's the beauty of boxer ice.

Thank you, Minhas.

-Justin Krane-

10-14-2013 05:02:03 | More by jkrane
Matthew_Phoenix

2.1/5  rDev -7.9%

This is the cheapest beer I ever had. 36 rack for $15 and some change. I didn't even know u can put beer in a 36 rack!

kinda has an offensive taste that bites u, in a bad way, almost made me cringe when i first tasted it sober, I've had wayyy better, on par with a nattie or a keystone, it's more of a college party beer, but because u can buy it in a 36 rack, it gets extra points.

I would still go with miller lite or PBR when I'm looking for cheap beer.

10-09-2013 05:07:40 | More by Matthew_Phoenix
MammothTarantula

Oklahoma

1.25/5  rDev -45.2%

10-01-2013 15:50:28 | More by MammothTarantula
homebrew311

2.89/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance is a nice crystal clear gold with a small amount of lace. Smell has sweet corn like malt profile with stale grains and simple sugars. Taste is about the same, very sweet for the style but not overly offensive in flavor. Somewhat clean flavor. Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated . Overall, standard ice beer here with no frills. The one positive is the lack of bad flavors, but nothing I would describe as good.

07-28-2013 00:34:31 | More by homebrew311
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.65/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains grain, light malts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some malt and adjunct sweetness. Then some mild breadiness comes in from a thin malt character. There’s also an odd bite to it that I’ll assume comes from it being the “Ice” version. There definitely is not much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and not smooth at all, light body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Not very flavorful, does not go down easily, not too filling, mild kick, just not a good beer in any respect.

07-16-2013 01:10:34 | More by TheManiacalOne

ZEB89

05-05-2013 22:21:50 | More by ZEB89
woodychandler

1.21/5  rDev -46.9%

There are those beers that my local, in-person trader, tone77, brings by that I look forward to trying, if for no other reason than a vague sense of curiosity. Then there are the Minhas products which I hesitate to even call "beer". I am currently reading "Skagboys" by Irvine Welsh and even when I dabbled in such stuff during my misspent late-teens, I never felt as bad as I do after drinking something from Minhas. It just is not meant for human CANsumption and I end up being CANverted into a Cyberperson as a result.

From the CAN: "Brewing Excellence Since 1845"; "No Preservatives No Additives No Added Flavors"; "Minhas Craft Brewery Brewing Tradition Since 1845"; "'All Trademarks and Designs are the property of Mountain Crest SRL'".

I have to laugh at the previous reviewer's remark about their need to include a graphic of a couple of ice cubes on the CAN for those of us who may be unfamiliar with the CANcept. Too right, ya radge gadge! And what's the crown about?

The Crack revealed another brimful CAN and I went with an inverted Glug to keep things moving along speedily. The gate in my backyard came open as the heavily-booted tramping of the Cyberpeople came to collect me. The kitchen was rife with some kind of noxious fumes that smelled like a cross between a dry cleaning plant and a plastics factory along with chewed pink bubble gum for added misery. The head had long fizzled its was out of existence and the CO2 bubbles in evidence looked as big as Rover in "The Prisoner". Color was a light, cornsilk-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The moment of truth! I held it up and got a big swallow in my mouth, only to instantly regret this undertaking. It was miserable, with heavy carbonation and a taste like cheap, grape-y white wine with no redeeming qualities. My limbs became heavy and I felt the CANvergence begin to happen yet again. The finish was sweet and any resemblance to Lager was simply its name. I finished all of it, in accordance with The CANQuest (TM) Rules of Engagement, but it was not a pleasant experience. Where is the "Avoid!" button?

04-10-2013 21:01:43 | More by woodychandler
tone77

2.33/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. can, which says 5.5% abv on it. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell can best be described as a Minhas smell, plastics, green apples, a touch of grapes. Taste is the same. You know you are drinking a Minhas product here, no other brewer can match this flavor, and in all their beers. Quite a yeast strain they are using. Feels light in the mouth and overall nothing to recommend about this one.

01-06-2013 17:51:16 | More by tone77
mendvicdog

Maryland

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%

12-04-2012 15:29:51 | More by mendvicdog
thehyperduck

2.63/5  rDev +15.4%

710 mL 'monster can' from TBS, listed at 5.5%. If it were 7.1% I seriously don't think I would have even bothered getting this... I mean, fun is fun (and cheap beer reviews can be fun, indeed) but I just don't quite hate my liver that much.

Pours a clear, pale golden-yellow colour, topped at first with two fingers of frothy, pillowy, sparkling-white head that hangs around for a fairly long while. It even coats the glass with a fine web of lacing as it gradually recedes - honestly, I'm kind of impressed, this is a pretty good-looking lager. The aroma is syrupy sweet, with lots of adjunct and not much else to support it; maybe some apple skin and candy corn. A far cry from enticing, but for the style it's not wholly off-putting.

Somewhat unusual taste, with a lot more fruitiness (and a lot less booziness) than I would expect from something with 'ice' in its name. Corn syrup, apple skin/cider notes come through at first, with a weak grainy flavour barely detectable underneath this slurry of adjunct flavour. Sweet, slightly fruity finish that doesn't linger long, with very little contribution from the ethanol. Middling carbonation levels; definitely a little low for the style, but it does contribute to the smooth, slick mouthfeel going down. Relatively easy to drink.

I'm honestly not sure what to think of this stuff. The flavour is odd and not entirely appealing, but it's actually relatively unique for an ice beer, and certainly nowhere near as awful as many of its mass-produced, 5.5% abv brethren. I'm certainly not going to run out clamoring for more, but this is one obnoxiously large can of beer that I would at least consider getting again, if I needed something to get my drunk on for cheap.

Final Grade: 2.63, a mediocre C-. I've had more than my fair share of ice beers in the last few months, primarily due to a lack of other things to review. The only other Minhas beer I've had previously is the legendary Mountain Crest, and that was probably 5 or 6 years ago. To put it as politely as possible, I've avoided trying other offerings from this brewery (until now) for a reason. But I must give credit where it's due - Boxer Ice is cheap swill, to be sure, but it's better than any of the other 'ice' drek I've had in recent memory. If you're in the market for this type of beer, you could do far, far worse.

11-26-2012 01:30:54 | More by thehyperduck
liamt07

2.43/5  rDev +6.6%

Can from the Beer Store. 710ml MONSTER CAN, listed at 5.5% alcohol into a tulip (serious). A 'Union-Made Beer of Champions.' Let's do this.

Crystal clear gold with a dense (actually genuinely so) cap of white head. Retention is there, lacing is solid. Hmmm. Nose is nothing at all really, faint sweetness, some grain and a bit of alcohol. Some apple juice. A bit of metal. Taste refelcts this to a tee. Subtle sweetness, some pale malts, light grain notes. A bit of veggie, but some fruitiness too (maybe it's just sweetness, who knows). No real finish or lingering flavours, save for some sweet water flavours. Medium carbonation, light body (fairly). Not a bad beer, and actually a mediocre macro. Somewhat drinkable and relatively tolerable. I thought I would be more offended by this, but I wasn't - surprising

03-25-2012 03:53:34 | More by liamt07
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

1.9/5  rDev -16.7%

710ml Tallboy (only $two-fiddy!), or "Monster Can" as they call it. Two ice cubes rendered on the label, for those possibly unfamiliar with the 'ice' concept, i.e. Mountain Crest's target demographic.

This beer pours a clear pale golden colour, with two fingers of thin foamy off-white head, which melts away quickly, leaving a low ridge of soap scum lace around the glass. It smells of sweet, sugary apple puree, and some mild rotten veggies. The taste is still very freaking sweet, some cooked corn mixed in with the sickly apple essence, and that ungodly recycling room floor aura not far from the surface. The carbonation is not too bad, the body smooth, I suppose, and only moderately cloying. It finishes still with the touched fruitiness, and a soft corn husk edge.

The whole extra +.5 ABV doesn't really represent, the marginal effects probably only apparent once you finish the whole big-ass can, or a case of this stuff. I'm sure as hell not going to be the one to tell you if that is the case or not. Not the worst to drink if the cost and circumstances are right (free, and stranded, respectively).

02-12-2011 23:37:04 | More by biboergosum