Boxer Light - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: tjsdomer2 on 04-26-2011)
Reviews by tone77:
tone77

3.09/5  rDev +44.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of apples, sugar. Taste is the same. Light, green apples, a touch of sweetness, the fact that it has any flavor at all is a plus for this style.Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer, which is a good thing from this brewer.

03-16-2013 19:21:47 | More by tone77
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev +21.5%

355ml can. 4.0% ABV when exported to Minhas' homeland.

This beer pours a clear, pale golden yellow colour, with two fingers of crackling, fizzy white head, which fades before your eyes, leaving a few sparse amoebic specks of lace around the glass in the process. It smells of sweet corn mush, some actual grain, thinly rendered, and bordering on the nail polish stank. The taste is pretty much in line - corn, grain, and a slight, actually underwhelming (damn you expectations!) skunky weediness. The carbonation is fairly sedate, the body really not too shabby for a light beer, being neither light nor thin, relatively, and just a tad cloying. It finishes sweet, that of the muddled grain sort, and low on the skank-o-meter.

While I'm not going to go so far out on a limb here as to say that I like this, hells...no. But, for the style, and ground laid up 'til now, this is pretty inoffensive, if you can overlook what I am sure would be a growing palate distaste with the clingy body, which lacks the crispness that discerning light lager drinkers look for. I'm not drinking any more to find out.

11-04-2011 22:38:09 | More by biboergosum
tjsdomer2

1.7/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: Basically looks like urine. Not pleasant at all. I usually try to explain the appearance a little more, but there's no two ways around it; this stuff just isn't very appetizing.

Smell: Vinegar and stale grain. Reminds me of MGD 64.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Basically a sour version of regular Boxer. Mouthfeel is kinda greasy too.

Drinkability: Nicht so gut. Regular Boxer is much more drinkable.

Overall: Not worth trying.

04-26-2011 03:38:15 | More by tjsdomer2
GaryT2

3.28/5  rDev +53.3%

I'm sorry. I think anyone giving this beer a score under 2 is a pimp for Milwaukee or St Louis. At $0.40 a can it is just intolerable to compete with.
Granted, I cannot drink the regular Boxer... but I very much like the Light version.There are very few Light beers I want to drink. I like Amstel and I like Boxer... and they are miles apart. If you like a dark beer try this Boxer Light for dinner. It has taste. My favorite beer? Maybe Sam Adams Oktoberfest... that gives you an idea of what I do and can taste.

03-01-2014 19:17:54 | More by GaryT2

06-24-2012 23:32:44 | More by MyMindSpray
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

1.63/5  rDev -23.8%

Pale yellow appearance with foamy white head which quickly disappears. Smell consists of grain, corn and some sweetness, the bare basics of cheap beer.

Taste has similar features, a metallic combination of grain, corn and sweetness. Has a strange grape and banana taste as well, reminds me of cough syrup. Light bodied with low carbonation. Aftertaste is very dry with that lingering cough syrup taste.

This is one of the strangest light beers I have tried, one of the few times I wish I was drinking Coors Light. The rest went of this went down the drain, stay away from this.

07-24-2011 03:47:17 | More by CrazyMike
kguyty

Missouri

2.5/5  rDev +16.8%

11-07-2013 20:35:09 | More by kguyty
woodychandler

1.4/5  rDev -34.6%

I try, oh how I try, in fact, And I try, oh my god do I try (thanks to Four Non-Blondes) to be unbiased and non-judgmental on The CANQuest (TM), but MInhas Craft Brewery in Monroe, WI is my arch-nemesis! The crap that they spew out would gag a maggot and yet because of a central CANQuest (TM) dictum - the beer must be CANsumed in its entirety to count - I am doomed. Their (and I hesitate to call them such) beers are unfit for human CANsumption and have the unwanted effect of turning me into a Cyberperson each and every time. I am fortunate to have The Doctor as my friend and he always rescues me, but the agony in the interim ...

From the CAN: "Brewing Tradition Since 1845"; "No Preservatives - All Natural"; "No Preservatives - No Additives - No Added Flavors"; "Boxer Premium Light Beer"; "Union Made"; "'All Trademarks and Designs are the property of Mountain Crest SRL'".

In the previous review to this one, I thought that I heard the heavy tramp of Cybersteps, but then they abated. I began the Crack & Glug hoping for the best and my pour garnered two-plus dense fingers of bone-white head with moderate retention. It looked like meringue atop a lemon pie, very appealing. Color was a slightly washed-out lemon yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of chewed pink bubble gum, Concord grapes, dry cleaning fluid, the interior of a plastics factory, and attic must such as you might stir up moving bundle of newspapers from the 1970's.

Clomp, clomp, clomp. I hear them on the other side of the fence! They are again coming for me, but The CANQuest (TM) must forge on.

Mouthfeel was very full for the style, which was a plus, but the combined flavors of metal, plastic, grapes and dry cleaning were a definite negative.

"You will be assimilated!" shouted the Cyberleader from the other side of the fence.

"Oh, please, not again," I thought to myself but better than 3/4 of the glass remained as I picked it up. The taste had not improved and was deteriorating to the point that the plastic and dry cleaning were almost indistinguishable from one another. I began to weep openly as my fence fell down and the Cyberleader and his minions were revealed.

"You will be assimilated!" he shouted, advancing through my yard.

"At least he is crushing some of those weeds," I thought as I took another long draught. My throat began to CANstrict, thanks to the toxicity of the beer.

Having gotten smarter with age, I had the back door open and the Cyberleader shredded the mosquito netting with ease, rather than bursting through the door as he had done so often in the past.

"You will be assimilated!" he shouted with his fingers wrapped around my neck and now I could no longer identify whence my problem in swallowing came from.

"Must finish," I gasped, tears running unabated down my cheeks.

I got the last dregs down just as ...

I have now been assimilated. I am one with the group. The Cyberleader has directed me to delete all, but I have one last chance ...

07-03-2012 18:07:30 | More by woodychandler
crossovert

2.98/5  rDev +39.3%

12 oz can. 10.49 36 pack. Freezer for an hour after chilling in the fridge.

It pours a clear gold with a big foamy bright white head. Quintessential for the style.

The smell is light. There is mineral water, light sugar, and corn.

The taste is actually better than a regular light beer. Some hops somehow. Sugar, corn, not very watery.

No reason not to buy this as a cheap beer. Nothing comes close.

11-27-2011 23:34:26 | More by crossovert
TEE-Bone

Indiana

1.31/5  rDev -38.8%

Pro: Low Price @ 12.99$ a 36er I didn't think I could lose...
Pro: Did I mention how cheap it is????

Appearance: $0,40 a can beer doesn't get poured in a glass...
Smell: fresh mowed grass and old High life.
Taste: brace yourself for it folks; it ain't pretty.... Normally a couple of cans will knock down the tastes buds when you are reduced to drinkin the cheap stuff; but that wet cardboard and grassy "signature" taste stays with boxer light from finish to start.
It just aint right.
This is the kinda beer you give to child molesters on death row with their last meal...

Summary: If funds are low, flip that couch cushion; get up under that coin star; scrape up that extra $3 or $4 bucks and get some Natty; this stuff aint fit to drink!
Forget the 12 steps; you want someone to give up drinkin; for good; make em drink a 12er of this stuff and they will swear off booze for good!

Pro: Bulldog logo is Boss...

03-15-2013 23:38:48 | More by TEE-Bone

1.25/5  rDev -41.6%

08-09-2012 01:28:32 | More by pooogy
ryan1788a5

3.45/5  rDev +61.2%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Crystal clear, dull straw yellow. Head formation and retention are better than expected though still not great. Thin, scraggly rings of lacing remain.

S: Sweet grain, corn, and slight grassy hop. Subtle dull, musty yeast.

T: Sweet corn and grain, slight bubble gum, touch of husk and musty yeast. Faint grassy hop. Clean finish of straw and sweet grain.

M: Light bodied, but with more substance than your average AAL. Rounded and slightly creamy. Modest tingling carbonation is a welcome change of pace from the usual blast one comes to expect.

O: it is what it is. It's sweeter than your average American Adjunct Lager, but that gives it just a little bit of charm. Better than the big boys, but not by much.

02-14-2013 20:21:49 | More by ryan1788a5
wrightst

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +98.6%

11-25-2013 03:23:21 | More by wrightst
jekfra

1.03/5  rDev -51.9%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life. I am in a fraternity so I would say that I know my fair share about cheap beers. This beer has an odd kind of spicy weird makes you wanna throw up after taste. At one party this was all we had to drink and I couldn't get down more than 1 and a half cans of this stuff. I would not advise any to drink this beer. I would recommend spending a few extra dollars to buy a beer that is drinkable.

07-09-2014 18:54:14 | More by jekfra