Backyard Ale - Minhas Craft Brewery

Backyard AleBackyard Ale

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Chaz on 06-27-2011)
3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

3.25/5  rDev +25%

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

3.75/5  rDev +44.2%

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%

1.5/5  rDev -42.3%

3.3/5  rDev +26.9%

Woodychandler continues to amaze me with new canned beers. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of wheat and lemons. Taste is tart, rather mild, some wheat and citrus are present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a refreshing and pretty good beer.

1.73/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured into a 16 oz. tulip glass, it's a glowing pastel orange yellow, with a billowing head of white foam. A halo of sticky lace adheres to the glass, looking more Belgian than midwestern.

Smells like creamed corn, sweet swilly grains. Bland but not offensive, definitely leaves a lager impression though.

Adjuncts galore, bland and flaccidly sweet flavors of corn and rice. There's a weird sweetness that verges on artificial, with a mealy texture that's nearly gag inducing. Candy corn, bland mealy grain, highly astringent... what is this crap? Cloying sweetness and sulfurous malaise. Overly carbonated and overly sweet. Not worth taking more than a few sips before it's dumped down the drain.

A shame that Minhas has drug the Berghoff name so low, oh well... Chicago lost that piece of history years ago anyway. Not sure if Minhas can do much worse than this, but they likely will find a way.

2.17/5  rDev -16.5%

This 16 oz. canned "ale" pours a urine yellow, with an oversized head of thick bubbles. Heavy on the lace, too, so looks good (aside from the piss-yellow appearance).

Aroma is largely grainy, with some biscuity grains and sweet corn. Hmm.

Taste is sweet. More corn or adjunct malts seem right up front here, despite the hop cones on the can. It's creamy and buttery even. I think this one's grossly imbalanced, and needs to dial back the malts a wee bit. As it stands, this one's mediocre at best.

1.33/5  rDev -48.8%

Apparently it is the (accidental) return of bad beer Thursdays this week.

You don't so much drink this as much as you gather a mob to try and kill it. My experience with this brewery is weak for sure so I was excited with this random extra from kbutler1, but that was a more innocent time. A tine with hope for the future, a time where anything was possible, a time before I drank this, one of the worst beers I've ever had.

Beer served in a Bruery tulip. Beer is yellow to amber and hazy with a thin white head. Moderate carbonation, low retention, some lacing.

Aroma is grainy and vegetal. I already dont want it.

Beer is oddly thick with this horrid diacetyl palate with a harshly grainy acidic aftertaste. I drank 2 ounces of this unfortunate 16 ounce can and poured the rear out. Never again. This beer was so bad I may never drink another beer from this brewery. Gross.

1.25/5  rDev -51.9%

Chaz sent this to me as part of an ongoing massive trade between the two of us and I am both grateful (for a new CAN) and hesitant (it is a Minhas beer). The CANQuest (TM) marches on!

From the CAN: "'Welcome to the backyard with the sun high in the sky, the grass freshly cut, and the aroma of hot coals and steak as you relax in your lawn chair. This is your safeguard, the backyard.'"; "A Midwest Tradition of Craft Brewing".

The Crack & Glug produced two fingers of rocky eggshell-white head with low retention. Color was a murky, hazy orangish-yellow. I think that Chaz hit it by characterizing it as an "APWA", vice an "APA" because the nose held a remarkable absence of hops. It had more of a bubble gum sweetness on the nose and did I catch an underlying scent of plastics factory and dry cleaning solution, or was it just my imagination? Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was unpleasant in all new and different ways. It tasted like the summer that I contracted trenchmouth and had to gargle with diluted hydrogen peroxide and have my gums treated with Gentian Violet. I had nearly forgotten that long-dormant memory until this rubbish hit my palate. Finish had a metallic twang that really made my hackles rise because the uninitiated might attribute it to the medium (a CAN) as opposed to the source (Minhas, makers of the world's finest swill and worst beer). Jeez-O, man, but if The CANQuest (TM) did not require full CANsumption in order to count, this would be a drain pour. Not my sink, but out front, in the gutter where it belongs and may have actually come from. If I am in the backyard, I do not want this beer anywhere near me, my lawn chair, my sizzling steak(s) and definitely NOT in my cooler. Gag.

16 oz. can, hell yeah!

Pale sunshine and hay color, limited bubbling and head. There is a ring of foam that lasts through all sixteen ounces.

Fake banana juice and Government bubblegum aroma from the yeast. Just a light cracker toasted malt aroma with just a touch of tree leaf hops.

Taste starts with a swath of bubblegum yeast, but some seemigly adjunct like bitterness takes over from middle to finish.

Carbonated start to finish, but has some cheap mlat bitterness issues. Not a bad session ale if it was cheaper for a four pack.

3.15/5  rDev +21.2%

I was surprised to see the Berghoff name again. It's been a while since I have enjoyed their dark drafts and a corned beef in Chicago.

This was nothing like that but I didn't expect it would be.

The beer was a dark yellow, almost amber, color with obvious carbonation. There was little to no foam head when poured into a chilled glass mug.

The Backyard Ale had almost no odor, which was odd because I was expecting a bold hop odor, but I wasn't disappointed.

The flavor was a bit of a shock. It reminded me of a canned beer, but the shock was more that I liked it. I'm not sure what that means for me, but the name is perfect. It would be great for sittin' in the backyard in a classic aluminum and plaid strap folding chair with your feet in the 18' pool after having just run the push mower through the front and back yards.

Does that time still exist? It does in this can of beer.

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

16oz can into pint glass.

Appearance is a hazy golden color with a slight hint of amber. Pours with a decent 1 finger off-white head and has a slight amount of lacing that is retained. No particulates.

Don't get much off of the nose other than a slight metallic smell expected from light canned beers, and some wheaty malty notes with a touch of honey.

Taste is somewhat sweet, with a light wheat backbone and some bready biscuity malt notes.

Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, and slightly slick. Medium carbonation.

Having never heard of this beer prior to grabbing a four pack of it, I expected a decent amount of hoppiness because of the prominent hop cones on the front of the can. Not a very flavorful beer, but creamy, smooth, and a good option for a decently inexpensive summer consumable. Would buy again for utility.

4.43/5  rDev +70.4%

Can code 1218022, Berghoff Brewing Company.

This was a well refrigerated can poured into o.5 liter clear glass.

The clarity is somewhat cloudy similar to a cellar beer. The foam is well laced and no fish eyes indicative of a good portion of wheat malt use. The color is straw-gold. There is a good effervescence which enhances the foam.

The smell has the aromatics of an ale style beer with not notes of fusel oils or dactyl. A mild hop note is present.

The taste is clean with little astringency.

The beer has good drinkability.

1.85/5  rDev -28.8%

Hazy, dull and brassy with a lumpy greyish head that lead spotty lace on the glass. Bubblegum, flaked maize and a whiff of steely grain in the aroma. Cereal grains and a metallic aftertaste. This beer tastes like a macro lager, light, grainy and slightly sour. Light and fizzy. Berghoff Backyard ale is just plain bad beer and a hideous example of an American Wheat if the style description is to be believed.

4.1/5  rDev +57.7%

16oz can into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear golden-amber body beneath two inches of creamy white heat. Terrific retention, plenty of lace, and it comes in a great-looking tall boy can. Hell yeah!

S: The can proclaims this “Backyard Ale,” but it sure as hell smells like a lager to me: there’s a bit of pale malt and grassy hops, but pure, chalky, slightly sulfurous lager yeast appears to be the dominant aroma. As it warms, some lovely fruitiness comes into play. Maybe my nose is off, or maybe this is actually a pale lager. Either way, it smells great.

T: Starts out with some lovely, lightly sweet pale malt, followed by a touch of earthy, grassy hops. Light fruitiness finishes things out, as well as some serious yeasty minerality. It tastes like a lager, too – a very good lager. Refreshing.

M: Fairly light body, moderate to high carbonation; very lively, but not too prickly. Goes great with the refreshing qualities of the beer.

O: I can’t wait to look this one up on BA (I’m reviewing on my computer without internet, so I have no idea how this beer is rated, what style it is, or anything), as I would swear that it’s a lager – or at least a Kölsch. Yeah, maybe a Kölsch. Whatever it is, it’s going down great on a day in the 90s, and I wish I had picked up a few more cans – I’d love to have a cooler-full in my backyard.

Cheers!

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

I gotta say, I was intrigued upon seeing this sitting in my lliquor store's cooler. I mean, Berghoff get's hated on a lot, but in all honesty, I do think they have some redeeming drinking beers.

Upon first whiff, you get a little strike of Euro hops, a little dusty lemon, some wheat. Pretty simple.

In the mouth, this is creamy, a little biscuity. Almost reminded me of a really easy farmhouse ale or a table beer.

It's not exactly a thought-provoking brew, but damn, it's easy drinking and nowhere near offensive. I'd drink this before a mass produced piss-lager, any day. In my opinion, a damn good value at a dollar a can!!! Worth having around for those days when you just want something to take down in the heat.

2.03/5  rDev -21.9%

16 oz can poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
No date or info on the can.

"Welcome to the backyard with the sun high in the sky, the grass freshly cut, and the aroma of hot coals and steak as you relax in your lawn chair. This is your safeguard, the backyard."

A - Hazed through fully, this golden straw yellow beer is topped by a well-retained white head with solid, thick, Swiss cheese-like lace clinging to the glass.

S - Heavily grainy in aroma, the malt is cheap and pale and smells of husks and hay. No hop nose at all. This beer gives no invitation to drink whatsoever.

T - Even worse than the aroma would suggest, this beer tastes like damp, dirty corn husks that have been soaking in mineral water. A heavy metallic finish seals the deal that this tastes awful. After a few sips some faint wheat comes through the background, but certainly nothing that redeems this beer.

M - Medium-light in body, soft and supple, the initial feel is actually pretty decent. That is, until the finish where the dry, metallic flavor lingers on the tongue.

O - I had this out at the lake once a few weeks back and I don't recall it being anywhere near this bad, but I could have been half in the bag by that point. Regardless, this can is a no hesitation drain-pour. Just awful all around and pretty offensive to boot, pass on this one, you can find much better lawnmower beer out there for around the same $0.99 a can.

3.05/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can poured into pint glass looks pretty good orange amber haze with decent head, not great, holds okay, not great. Smells like your run of the mill wheat beer and tastes similar - no real spice or other flavor - pretty much wheat grain sileage. Backyard ale implies lawnmower beer and the mouth feel on this is probably a little creamier than your average lawnmower beer. Carbonation is good - overall for less than a buck a can this is a decent alternative for a lawnmower beer - decent wheat alternative to grain belt or pabst on a hot summer day.

2.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Had one of these left over from golf that none of us wanted to try and force down. I decided to take it home an give it a second chance. Poured out of a 16 oz can into my cheers drinking mug.

A) Not to shabby. It's hazy orange with an inch of bubble filled slightly off white head. The head dissolved quickly, minimal lacing.

S) The artwork on the can features grains of wheat and hops. The wheat is detectable, and although I'm sure there is hops in the beer, it is not present in in the typical citrus or pine smell that one might expect. There is kind of a sweet bready and spice aroma. It doesn't smell to good in my opinion.

T) Wheat and other grain, maybe corn. There was kind of an orange peel finish. I did not like the finish.

M) It had kind of a soda pop fizz. The body was light to medium light. I wasn't a fan of the feel on my palate or the way the taste lingered.

O) I gave it a second chance, and I still am not a fan. I will not be purchasing this one again. Perhaps I went into this one with a negative attitude, but I feel I was objective. I was on the Minhas Brewery tour two years ago, and I have to say that when it came to the tasting portion of the tour, it reminded me of the Simpson's episode where Homer and Barney toured Duff. If you are a Simpson's fan, you know what I'm talking about.

2.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Backyard Ale pours a hazey* ("dirty") amber-orange in color, with a thick off-white head -- two fingers+ (note: it took two minutes for the head to fall enough to pour the entire can into the nonic!) Lacing is adequate for the style. *This isn't merely chill-haze, there's wheat malt in here!

Nose is semi-sweet and semi-spicy, but it's not spicy from the copious amounts of hops used. Nope, the wheat malt here is doing the trick, along with what I'd consider off-notes of fusel alcohol. Bready, yeasty, and I'm not altogether sure what this beer wants to be; As it's a new release (from what I can tell -- the website for Berghoff Beer has been under construction for four years now) I'm going to go ahead and classify this one as a Pale Wheat Ale rather than the 'APA' designation that I see folks elsewhere have gone with. Frankly, this'd make a poor APA.

Semi-sweet on the first sip, with loads of buttery diacetyl and vanilla -- weird. Mild, lingering bitterness along with a lighter note of biscuit malt, I was perhaps wrongly expecting more crispness for a beer released in time for summer. The aromatic portion of the palate is as murky as the beer itself: the alcohol presence is stronger than I was expecting (I'll guessing that this is no more than 5.5% ABV...), and the better parts of the wheat malt butt-heads with the booze. Some citrus-like character (it's a wheat ale, after all), but not enough to tickle that fancy for folks who enjoy themselves some e.g. citrusy-hops. There's a grainyness to the beer, too, and as it warms up I'm wondering: oats or flaked maize?

There's a silky-smoothness and easy drinking component to this beer that is a major, major high point: despite the strong-ish alcohol, it drinks nicely enough.

Overall it's not a bad beer, but not a very good one, either. When I first cracked the can the aroma wafting towards my nostrils told me "EEGADS! It's Lazy Mutt in a can!!!" and indeed I think that this beer might be a tweak on that particular Minhas recipe; someone else want to do a side-by-side?

Backyard Ale from Minhas Craft Brewery