Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011

to view more.
Ratings: 159 | Reviews: 44
Reviews by wiscokid920:
2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Dark, dark brown with a fluffy mocha tan 2 finger head. Very nice lacing and retention. Looks fantastic.

S- Name suits it well…lots of chocolate notes. Roasted malts and hints of coffee.

T- Once again, the chocolate reference suits it well. Lots of semi sweet chocolate and dark cocoa flavors. Has a nice smoky flavor that fades quickly into an acidified bitter…not of dark chocolate…but of bad coffee.

M- Medium bodied and chewy.

O- This is my first offering from Minhas and I was extremely impressed by the appearance. As the saying goes however, “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” The brew didn't live up to its looks. Has the potential to be a very good offering, but needs some work on improving the artificial chocolate flavors and chemical acidity of a bad coffee. Not the worst Stout, but has some room for improvement.

2.05/5  rDev -33.4%

I've had a couple different chocolate stouts, and this one has easily been my least favorite. It was on sale at the craft beer store I usually go to so I thought I'd give it a try, but I can now see why it was so cheap for a 22-ounce bottle.

Appearance - Looked decent enough. Really dark with a nice dark tan head on it. Head dissipated really quickly though, and there was zero lacing, so after about 5 minutes the appearance wasn't particularly great either.

Smell - I got a lot more of hops in the aroma than I did in the beer itself. You can pick up a lot on the chocolate and it doesn't smell like particularly good chocolate.

Taste - Just not good. The chocolate is overpowering and like I mentioned before, it's not even a good chocolate flavor. A lot of nice, rich dark chocolate would be one thing, but this feels like they just dumped a lot of Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix into the kettle.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly thin for a stout. Very little carbonation, honestly a little flat feeling. It's possible I got a bad bottle (there wasn't a bottle date) but I'm not gonna risk it by buying more.

3.88/5  rDev +26%

(Served in a nonic)

A- The black dense body has a thick cocoa head that last a good bit and has a nice gentle carbonation.

S- A touch of roasted bitterness to a smooth coffee malt aroma and some earthy black malt character. There is a chemical cleaner aroma that comes through as the beer opens up that is a bit off putting.

T- The fruity ester and softer cocoa note are mellow with a nice dark roasted malt dry finish. There is a touch of tartness in the finish that offers a nice balance.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a cleaning fizz that scrubs the finish.

O- This beer has a nice dry stout character that is very sessionable with a bit of depth. Not much chocolate nib character or American hop flavor but it doesn't need it.

2.59/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The Minhas clan's foray into craft brewing, with a bit more effort this time, it would seem. This is made under the auspices of their shell company Rhinelander, but you wouldn't know it from the busy label on this sucker. 650ml bomber, which goes for $3.50 at the modest liquor store next door to my favorite workday donair shop.

This beer pours a solid black, with very slight caramel edges, and a fistful of puffy, foamy, kind of thin beige head, which leaves some decent broken swaths of painted lace around the glass as it settles. It smells fruity, combined with the plastic in which that fruit is sometimes kept, with some mild milk chocolate powder, and nondescript graininess. The taste is more chocolate than anything - the milky, candy bar sort, and some fruitcake-esque tangy character, that needs a validating sourness that it sorely lacks. As for malt and hops (you know, beer...), they are under there somewhere, but not willing to assert themselves for a better ID process. The carbonation is quite sedate, the body medium weight, somewhat creamy, but gritty at the same time - back of the pantry, forgotten chocolate syndrome. It finishes fairly off-dry, the chocolate additives in it for the long haul, aided and abetted by some lingering overripe black fruit.

Well, a better report card than usual, for Minhas and co., but the baby steps being taken here sure feel a lot like they just added chocolate syrup and fruit flavouring to one of their regular offerings. Now I know that's overstating things a tad, but that dead and dying thing character that's been perfected throughout their product line, can't help but pervade this hopeful next generation as well. And to answer the label's cutesy query: there is definitely beer in your chocolate...

4.22/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This stout is thick!!! Don't expect to drink more than one bomber without feeling full. It is def on the classic stout side but the cocoa overtones are super dense. It has a dark chocolate taste that turns a little bitter as I am accustomed to for stouts. Definantly leaves your mouth salivating for a chocolate rabbit.

2.65/5  rDev -14%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours mahogany with 4 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, black currant, carob & cola

T: Cocoa & prunes, slight roasty notes up front, along with charred grains. More charred grains as this warms, prunes, cocoa & woody hop notes. Finishes dry, messy, &pruney

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation that flattens out as this warms. Gets real thin

A disjointed stout, not worth buying

2.56/5  rDev -16.9%

A - impenetrable black with a thick thumb of mocha head that retained respectably
S - dark chocolate and roasty notes, bit of an artificial fruit syrup aroma, slightly grainy
T - definite big dark chocolate presence, a strong and somewhat overwhelming fruitiness, a strange plastic thing going on, slightly woody finish
M - low carbonation, starts smooth but quickly moves to a prickly tartness, chalky dry finish
O - I commend the 'damn good beer' folks for trying something, but this beer highlights the trouble with try to go from being a cheap piss beer producer to a craft brewer without any in between, this just doesn't work

3.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, some sweetness. Taste is not bad, mild, a bit of chocolate, none of the flavors usually associated with a Minhas beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, probably the best that I have had from this brewery.

3.08/5  rDev 0%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The aroma is light, the beer smells like roasted and grainy malt, bittersweet chocolate and some coffee. Smells more like grain than it smells like chocolate. The brew tastes like slightly tart dark fruit, roasted malt, cola and a bit of chocolate. For a beer called Chocolate Bunny, I thought there would be a lot more chocolate noticeable. With that being said, it's not a bad brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. For $2.99 a bomber, I can't complain too much.

3.79/5  rDev +23.1%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a mug

A - It is black as a coal miner's lung. Even when held to a direct source, no light comes through. A vigorous pour yields only a couples inches of mocha head.

S - I smells like chocolate syrup. It's like Choklat's little brother.

T - At first I was disappointed. I was not getting a lot of flavor. As it warms, the chocolate starts to come out. I get some more of that chocolate syrup thing going. Once again, it reminds me of Choklat's little bro.

M - It is pretty thin for a stout. It is smooth with low carbonation, but I like my stouts thick.

O - This beer grew on me the more I drank. It has good flavor that comes out as it warms. It is super cheap and was worth the <$4 I paid for the bomber of it.

2.76/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

2.33/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy light brown head. Retention is lacking, but a decent amount of lacing is left.

3.0 S: Light roastiness with cocoa powder. Smells good, but is boring. Lightly tangy.

2.0 T: Lightly roasty, cocoa powder, and cooked vegetables. It's bad, but it's not unthinkably horrid.

2.0 M: Super light body. Carbonation is right. Not creamy at all, just thin.

2.0 D: Again Minhas has disappointed. While this is better than the Imperial Jack, it's still something I'd never like to drink again.

2.97/5  rDev -3.6%

One of the special draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary. No mention of the brewery on the menu...

This beer arrived a black liquid with a thin, tan colored head. Foam faded away quickly leaving no lace. Served very cold, so had to let it warm up a bit to coax more flavor out of it. The smell of the beer has the slightest aroma of coffee and chocolate, even as it warmed up the aromas did not get any better.
The taste of the beer was very average, left me wanting more. Some roasted malts but finished a bit acrid. No deep rich stout-like character. Smell, taste, body and mouthfeel were thin and watered down.
Very average when compared to Wild Rose Alberta Crude or St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (both of which they had available at the same time).

3.79/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

At 66 IBU this stout is a little different than most but it is still pretty tasty, and for 2.99 a bomber you really can't pass it up. I recommend at least giving this beer a try if you enjoy stouts and chocolate stouts.

3.14/5  rDev +1.9%

Picked this beauty up because they were selling if for $1.89. I will reuse the bottle which is probably worth a buck so I figure, "How bad can it be for 90 cents." When I sat down to drink it I had just had a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout so the Bunny was up against it, tough act to follow. Oustanding looking beer, they nailed the appearance. But well, it goes downhill from there. Not the worst beer I have ever had, but certainly not good. Overall I am trying to decide if it will be worth another $1.89.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

Black amber appearance with lots of bubbly brown head that slowly settles down leaving some lacing. Smell consists of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, nuts, caramel and sweetness. Some good features so far.

Taste is a lighter version of the smell, chocolate, caramel, nuts, coffee and some dark fruit. Has a sour, bitter and smokey taste to it overall. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter and malty.

Overall, this is a refreshing beer with some complex features. I can’t believe this came from Minhas and doesn’t taste like metal or chemicals; Good step forward for the brewery. But anyways, this is a decent chocolate stout, worth a try.

1.92/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Oh no, this looked a bit strange and cheap looking, but I figured I'd give it a shot. With the current score, I'm really scared now.

Pours a darker colored fizzy 1/4 finger light head that fades fairly quickly too with a bit of lacing, over pitch black colored beer, no light coming through.

NOse bguytheeewwww, blech, uch, holy sh*t, i don't even think this can pass as beer. My nostrils are inflamed with the horrendousness of what I just breathed in. Tons and tons of corn stalk, just pure corn stalk starch, rotting stench of bread with 10 year old mold. I don't get any malt, any chocolate, any thing that might possibly resemble beer.

I'm so afraid to taste this thing, but I eventually have to, so here goes... holy shit, I just shivered with terrible taste, maybe quivered, this putrid rotting liquid. Corn feces and starch that was digested and turned into corn starch anal leakage. There aren't words to describe the horror I'm forcing my mouth to go through right now. Well, there is at least a hint of powdered fake chocolate in there, and a touch of off flavor bitterness. Oh GOD! When will it be over?!

Mouth is slimy and powdered chalky and just terrible, little carbonation, and somehow gritty and weird feeling.

I wonder if I can return this beer for just being so, so, so so bad, I can't even fathom how this could even be put out and called a beer. This is actually offensive, and I feel sorry for having to subject my septic system to it.

3.53/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it!

4.92/5  rDev +59.7%

Initially it didn't seem like something I would like, but I was pleasantly surprised.

4.21/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A= Black, with a half inch, tawny head of tight bubbles that recedes in a minute or two.
S= Roasted barley/coffee aroma with a touch of chocolate.
T=A bit of chocolate accompanying roasted barley flavor. Sweetness detected at the front and the middle, suggesting crystal malt, with a dry finish.
M=The bottle says silky, and I would say they nailed it. Lightly coats the mouth and lips.

This is a very nice chocolate stout. My own preference would be to dial the sweetness back a notch to see if it enhances drinkability. As is, it works as pleasant dessert beer. It might pair better with savory foods with less residual sweetness. If this beer came out of my homebrewery, I would be pretty pleased, because it is a hair's width away from being dialed in.

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Let's keep the chocolate love a-flowin'! This stuff pours a deep obsidian topped by a steadfast finger of tan foam. The nose comprises cocoa powder backed by a strong coffee-like roasted malt scent. Still pretty pleasant. The taste throws some artificial cocoa at me, then proceeds to bitter-ize it as the finish nears. When things finally end, an acrid bit of dusty bitterness remains, and not one that's all that close to dark chocolate bitterness, either: it's like bad coffee. Dammit...and to think things started off so well. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a silky feel. Overall, an almost tasty brew, but one that goes awry when that pesky little thing called "taste" gets in the way. I should've known better than to think a Minhas-brewed beer could turn out well...

3.55/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pitch black with a creamy tan head. One of the darker beers I have seen.

Mainly smells of chocolate, there is also toffee and brown sugar.

Chocolate dominates, no surprise there. It is more a sweet type, with undertones of coffee to add some bitterness. Also hints of brown sugar.

Feel is a bit thin for the style, a beer like this should be thicker.

Not great, but better than I expected for the price. Usually I think of stouts as cool weather beers, but this one would be good on a hotter day. It goes down easy, and has a decent flavor, and isn't as filling as a heavier beer. Definitely worth a try at this price, just a decent beer at a good price.

A: Pours a dull brown color without minor carbonation
S: Burnt chocolate, asphalt
T: Toasty, tangy, burnt nuts
M: Slight granular feel (cocoa powder?), light body
O: If somebody handed it to me I probably wouldn't refuse but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this beer; a little too burnt and thin for my taste.

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

P:  Super dark brown non transparent body with thin brown airy head that is fast fading.  A few sluggish bubbles creeping to the top.

S:  Roasted malts, amaretto, soy dauce, roasted nuts, dark chocolate and semi sweet chocolate.

T/M:  Subtle smoked wood, prunes, dates, dark cocoa, hints of creamed coffee, notes of vanilla, bourbon and amaretto.  Body is slightly chunky with spicy carbonation. Finish is semi dry with a timid bitter chocolate presence.  After it starts to warm the aftertaste becomes a tad unpleasant and similar to burnt apple peels.

O:  I was hesitant to try this but at $2.99 I figured it couldn't be too much of a risk. Flavors are all there for a basic stout but nothing really stands out. The fact that it's called "Chocolate Bunny" is somewhat misleading due to the unpronounced chocolate aroma and flavor. Lack luster and somewhat bland. All in all the taste was accurate for the style but is not terrific. For the price I think it's a good choice. Doubt I will get it again but I am glad I grabbed it.

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is not good.. It says on the bottle "is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?".. I would argue that neither is the case.. Its a mishmash of off tastes and very thin mouthfeel.. Only saving grace is that its Easter and there's a bunny on the bottle

to view more.