Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.22/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This stout is thick!!! Don't expect to drink more than one bomber without feeling full. It is def on the classic stout side but the cocoa overtones are super dense. It has a dark chocolate taste that turns a little bitter as I am accustomed to for stouts. Definantly leaves your mouth salivating for a chocolate rabbit.

4.21/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A= Black, with a half inch, tawny head of tight bubbles that recedes in a minute or two.
S= Roasted barley/coffee aroma with a touch of chocolate.
T=A bit of chocolate accompanying roasted barley flavor. Sweetness detected at the front and the middle, suggesting crystal malt, with a dry finish.
M=The bottle says silky, and I would say they nailed it. Lightly coats the mouth and lips.

This is a very nice chocolate stout. My own preference would be to dial the sweetness back a notch to see if it enhances drinkability. As is, it works as pleasant dessert beer. It might pair better with savory foods with less residual sweetness. If this beer came out of my homebrewery, I would be pretty pleased, because it is a hair's width away from being dialed in.

3.88/5  rDev +30.6%

(Served in a nonic)

A- The black dense body has a thick cocoa head that last a good bit and has a nice gentle carbonation.

S- A touch of roasted bitterness to a smooth coffee malt aroma and some earthy black malt character. There is a chemical cleaner aroma that comes through as the beer opens up that is a bit off putting.

T- The fruity ester and softer cocoa note are mellow with a nice dark roasted malt dry finish. There is a touch of tartness in the finish that offers a nice balance.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a cleaning fizz that scrubs the finish.

O- This beer has a nice dry stout character that is very sessionable with a bit of depth. Not much chocolate nib character or American hop flavor but it doesn't need it.

3.79/5  rDev +27.6%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a mug

A - It is black as a coal miner's lung. Even when held to a direct source, no light comes through. A vigorous pour yields only a couples inches of mocha head.

S - I smells like chocolate syrup. It's like Choklat's little brother.

T - At first I was disappointed. I was not getting a lot of flavor. As it warms, the chocolate starts to come out. I get some more of that chocolate syrup thing going. Once again, it reminds me of Choklat's little bro.

M - It is pretty thin for a stout. It is smooth with low carbonation, but I like my stouts thick.

O - This beer grew on me the more I drank. It has good flavor that comes out as it warms. It is super cheap and was worth the <$4 I paid for the bomber of it.

3.79/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

At 66 IBU this stout is a little different than most but it is still pretty tasty, and for 2.99 a bomber you really can't pass it up. I recommend at least giving this beer a try if you enjoy stouts and chocolate stouts.

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

Black amber appearance with lots of bubbly brown head that slowly settles down leaving some lacing. Smell consists of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, nuts, caramel and sweetness. Some good features so far.

Taste is a lighter version of the smell, chocolate, caramel, nuts, coffee and some dark fruit. Has a sour, bitter and smokey taste to it overall. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter and malty.

Overall, this is a refreshing beer with some complex features. I can’t believe this came from Minhas and doesn’t taste like metal or chemicals; Good step forward for the brewery. But anyways, this is a decent chocolate stout, worth a try.

3.73/5  rDev +25.6%

For $2.99 for a bomber, I thought why not. Sounds good enough.

Solid brown tinted black with a nice head of java colored foam and some sticky lacing as well.

The nose is quite milk chocolatey, but it is a bit like the cheap chocolate bunny type milk chocolate. Some grainy malt scents, cola and root beer with just a hint of sour.

Not getting as much chocolate as I would like, but there is a nice dusty cocoa presence. I would say there is more roast to this than chocolate, but a pleasant flavor overall. A touch of coffee bean in there too. A little cola and cocoa on the finish.

Soft and nearly creamy feel, but the finish is dry and chalky. Light-medium body.

After looking at some of the reviews, I was a bit scared, but this isn't too shabby a beer. It drinks very easy and is an appropriate stab for the style. I don't know if I would get it again, but for the price, I'm not disappointed in the product.

3.62/5  rDev +21.9%

A - Pours nicely into a very deep brown body with a light and somewhat frothy head of only about an inch tops. The head is a medium to dark brown and displays moderate stamina.

S - Chocolaty with a hinting of roasted malt and coffee.

T - Roasted malts are prevalent with a subtle mesquite and smoke flavor towards the end. While it claims to be a chocolate stout I don't know if I'm buying what they're selling as far as that goes.

M - The feel of his beverage is far too light for my liking. I like thick stouts with very little carbonation. This one seems to be carbonated to the gills.

~ For a light bodied stout with a a strong roasty flavor this beer does come through. I think the reason for the lower ratings here may be in part to the category in which this beer fits has a some real superstars. While this is certainly no star, it does fill its role nicely. And at $2.99 for a bomber, why would you not give this beer a sampling.

3.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, some sweetness. Taste is not bad, mild, a bit of chocolate, none of the flavors usually associated with a Minhas beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, probably the best that I have had from this brewery.

3.55/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pitch black with a creamy tan head. One of the darker beers I have seen.

Mainly smells of chocolate, there is also toffee and brown sugar.

Chocolate dominates, no surprise there. It is more a sweet type, with undertones of coffee to add some bitterness. Also hints of brown sugar.

Feel is a bit thin for the style, a beer like this should be thicker.

Not great, but better than I expected for the price. Usually I think of stouts as cool weather beers, but this one would be good on a hotter day. It goes down easy, and has a decent flavor, and isn't as filling as a heavier beer. Definitely worth a try at this price, just a decent beer at a good price.

3.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it!

3.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a 22oz bottle of this from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $2.59 in early 2012. Most of the Minhas beers are average at best, but this has some good flavor to it. Pours a dark brown color with a light brown head. There is a mild scent of robust malts. Flavor is rich cocoa mixed with other robust flavors and sweet caramel malts. Surprisingly decent taste with decent lacing.

3.27/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Very dark brown and almost fully opaque, with just a little light getting through around the edges. Forms a very small, cola-like head that dissipates to absolute nothingness rather quickly. Not even a hint of lacing.

S: The nose on this one is rather faint, but what is there is primarily chocolate with lesser notes of molasses, syrup, and vanilla.

T: Very mild taste of roasted malts, chocolate syrup, and coffee.

M: Medium, but feels thin and watery. Lower carbonation and a mild cocoa bitterness.

O: Well I do get some chocolate out of this one. Unfortunately, it's more along the lines of Hershey's syrup than actual chocolate, but it is what it is: a simplistic, easy drinking "chocolate-flavored" stout. At least the flavors are just thin; this beer could be a lot worse than it is.

3.26/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Came in a 22-ounce bottle and chilled to 36 degrees in my beer cooler. Pours a pitch black with a 1-finger tan head that leaves good lacing when sipped. The aroma is of roasted malt and chocolate. Actually it is brewed with cocoa powder. The taste of chocolate hits you with the first sip along with a hint of caramel. Smooth overall with no harsh finish. Not a bad stout but should be a tad thicker. Overall it wasn't bad.

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Let's keep the chocolate love a-flowin'! This stuff pours a deep obsidian topped by a steadfast finger of tan foam. The nose comprises cocoa powder backed by a strong coffee-like roasted malt scent. Still pretty pleasant. The taste throws some artificial cocoa at me, then proceeds to bitter-ize it as the finish nears. When things finally end, an acrid bit of dusty bitterness remains, and not one that's all that close to dark chocolate bitterness, either: it's like bad coffee. Dammit...and to think things started off so well. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a silky feel. Overall, an almost tasty brew, but one that goes awry when that pesky little thing called "taste" gets in the way. I should've known better than to think a Minhas-brewed beer could turn out well...

3.14/5  rDev +5.7%

Picked this beauty up because they were selling if for $1.89. I will reuse the bottle which is probably worth a buck so I figure, "How bad can it be for 90 cents." When I sat down to drink it I had just had a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout so the Bunny was up against it, tough act to follow. Oustanding looking beer, they nailed the appearance. But well, it goes downhill from there. Not the worst beer I have ever had, but certainly not good. Overall I am trying to decide if it will be worth another $1.89.

3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle: The aroma consists of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, vanilla, and a touch of roast. It pours a dark brown with some faint orange highlights and a small beige head. The flavor starts with a quick dose of sugary chocolate. The finish has some light roast and cream. It’s medium bodied with light-moderate carbonation.

3.08/5  rDev +3.7%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The aroma is light, the beer smells like roasted and grainy malt, bittersweet chocolate and some coffee. Smells more like grain than it smells like chocolate. The brew tastes like slightly tart dark fruit, roasted malt, cola and a bit of chocolate. For a beer called Chocolate Bunny, I thought there would be a lot more chocolate noticeable. With that being said, it's not a bad brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. For $2.99 a bomber, I can't complain too much.

3.06/5  rDev +3%

A- Poured super thick and dark, like some of the better stouts I've had. About a three-finger foamy head that hung around a bit. Just OK lacing.

S- Mainly a seemingly artificial sweetness. Chocolate undertones. Slight burnt malts under the chocolate.

T- Odd, but not terrible. Starts off with the usual stout burnt malts. Slight hints of coffee and vanilla. Chocolate notes are there, but not in an over-the-top fashion. Finishes oddly; somewhat acidic to sour.

M- Somewhat thick and creamy. Way too much carbonation for the style. It detracts from the overall drink.

Overall, I'm not too disappointed because the label doesn't lend itself to being taken seriously. Not terrible, but I'm still on the lookout for a good chocolate stout.

3.05/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

purchased this from Half Time, enjoyed chilled in a goblet.

The color is black, clarity opaque with thick medium tan cap which collapses to a ring of tight beads. The lace sticks in strings to the glass. The smell is kind of vegetal and very roasty, but not exactly sweet with mild toasted bread aroma. The feel is not great a little too much roast/char and mild sweetness with a slightly slick feel with mild carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is not bad at first with some malt flavor which is roasted with a mild caramel sweetness in the background with some light vegetal tastes in the mid palate. The taste is not very chocolatey, but it is dry and herbal with some mild yeast accents which give a subtle fruitiness to the taste. Overall I guess this is not all bad, but it lacks what you are looking for most in a chocolate flavored stout which is chocolate taste- this doesn't have much stout in the flavor either really just roasted malt so I would definitely not buy this again.

3.03/5  rDev +2%

650ml bottle poured into pint glass 8/1/12

A pretty dark right out of the bottle with a short lived finger of mocha foam that leaves some random lace

S some fruity chocolate with a little sour milk, smoke and booze

T charred wood and lots of it, some leather and everything else I could smell, there's a little dark roasted coffee and cola on top of what I smell, the char is a little much and there's a sour fruity flavor I don't care for

M thin and foamy with a char aftertaste

O pretty basic stuff that's lacking body for something that looks that dark

worth the 3$ for 650ml that's about it

A: Pours a dull brown color without minor carbonation
S: Burnt chocolate, asphalt
T: Toasty, tangy, burnt nuts
M: Slight granular feel (cocoa powder?), light body
O: If somebody handed it to me I probably wouldn't refuse but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this beer; a little too burnt and thin for my taste.

2.98/5  rDev +0.3%

P:  Super dark brown non transparent body with thin brown airy head that is fast fading.  A few sluggish bubbles creeping to the top.

S:  Roasted malts, amaretto, soy dauce, roasted nuts, dark chocolate and semi sweet chocolate.

T/M:  Subtle smoked wood, prunes, dates, dark cocoa, hints of creamed coffee, notes of vanilla, bourbon and amaretto.  Body is slightly chunky with spicy carbonation. Finish is semi dry with a timid bitter chocolate presence.  After it starts to warm the aftertaste becomes a tad unpleasant and similar to burnt apple peels.

O:  I was hesitant to try this but at $2.99 I figured it couldn't be too much of a risk. Flavors are all there for a basic stout but nothing really stands out. The fact that it's called "Chocolate Bunny" is somewhat misleading due to the unpronounced chocolate aroma and flavor. Lack luster and somewhat bland. All in all the taste was accurate for the style but is not terrific. For the price I think it's a good choice. Doubt I will get it again but I am glad I grabbed it.

2.97/5  rDev 0%

One of the special draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary. No mention of the brewery on the menu...

This beer arrived a black liquid with a thin, tan colored head. Foam faded away quickly leaving no lace. Served very cold, so had to let it warm up a bit to coax more flavor out of it. The smell of the beer has the slightest aroma of coffee and chocolate, even as it warmed up the aromas did not get any better.
The taste of the beer was very average, left me wanting more. Some roasted malts but finished a bit acrid. No deep rich stout-like character. Smell, taste, body and mouthfeel were thin and watered down.
Very average when compared to Wild Rose Alberta Crude or St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (both of which they had available at the same time).

2.97/5  rDev 0%

22 oz. bottle tried 18 Nov 2011. Courtesy of R&S. Thanks, I think. Served in the 0.5 L Adambrau becker.

Large brown head. Medium carbonation. Clear dark brown in color with reddish highlights. Aroma is sweet chocolate, roasty. Starts fairly sweet and chocolatey. Cocoa through the middle. Medium body, light ethanol. A slightly burnt/charred note lingers in the aftertaste. Kind of one dimensional, not much depth of flavor.

Try to think of this beer as the picture on the label depicts, one of those hollow plasticy chocolate bunnies you got at Easter as a kid, and you won't be disappointed. I preferred to start with eating the eyes so it would stop staring at me.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast