Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.92/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Oh no, this looked a bit strange and cheap looking, but I figured I'd give it a shot. With the current score, I'm really scared now.

Pours a darker colored fizzy 1/4 finger light head that fades fairly quickly too with a bit of lacing, over pitch black colored beer, no light coming through.

NOse bguytheeewwww, blech, uch, holy sh*t, i don't even think this can pass as beer. My nostrils are inflamed with the horrendousness of what I just breathed in. Tons and tons of corn stalk, just pure corn stalk starch, rotting stench of bread with 10 year old mold. I don't get any malt, any chocolate, any thing that might possibly resemble beer.

I'm so afraid to taste this thing, but I eventually have to, so here goes... holy shit, I just shivered with terrible taste, maybe quivered, this putrid rotting liquid. Corn feces and starch that was digested and turned into corn starch anal leakage. There aren't words to describe the horror I'm forcing my mouth to go through right now. Well, there is at least a hint of powdered fake chocolate in there, and a touch of off flavor bitterness. Oh GOD! When will it be over?!

Mouth is slimy and powdered chalky and just terrible, little carbonation, and somehow gritty and weird feeling.

I wonder if I can return this beer for just being so, so, so so bad, I can't even fathom how this could even be put out and called a beer. This is actually offensive, and I feel sorry for having to subject my septic system to it. (1,464 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Fake cocoa powder, thin body (even for the ABV), off notes in the nose. Easily the worst stout I've had, wouldn't buy again even at a $1.49/bomber price point. (159 characters)

This beer is all over the place, just so many faults. The worst of these is the horrible, cloying aftertaste that resembles vinegar mixed with cigarette butts. Avoid at any price. (179 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -30.5%

I've had a couple different chocolate stouts, and this one has easily been my least favorite. It was on sale at the craft beer store I usually go to so I thought I'd give it a try, but I can now see why it was so cheap for a 22-ounce bottle.

Appearance - Looked decent enough. Really dark with a nice dark tan head on it. Head dissipated really quickly though, and there was zero lacing, so after about 5 minutes the appearance wasn't particularly great either.

Smell - I got a lot more of hops in the aroma than I did in the beer itself. You can pick up a lot on the chocolate and it doesn't smell like particularly good chocolate.

Taste - Just not good. The chocolate is overpowering and like I mentioned before, it's not even a good chocolate flavor. A lot of nice, rich dark chocolate would be one thing, but this feels like they just dumped a lot of Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix into the kettle.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly thin for a stout. Very little carbonation, honestly a little flat feeling. It's possible I got a bad bottle (there wasn't a bottle date) but I'm not gonna risk it by buying more. (1,110 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -28.1%

Look is black with a slight beige inch thick head. Smells like watery chocolate and something souring. Tastes like cardboard, corn sugar, pennies, band aid, and a little tiny bit of chocolate all mixed up in a big ole batch of water. I can't drink it. (251 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -26.8%

A: Pours with 3 fingers of bubbly tan head over a dark brown body. Head recedes slowly.

S: Slight cocoa and burnt.

T: The first sip was "woody". I got very little stout or chocolate flavor. It was surprising - not happy birthday surprise - like you have an STD surprise. The second sip was improved slightly - but still not enjoyable. I went for a third...

M: Very light and frothy feeling. Not a good mouth feel.

O: Between the taste and mouthfeel I just couldn't get into this one. I have to admit it is the first beer I didn't finish. (I only had a single bottle - I leave open the possibility that I got a bad one). I am not going to get another and find out. (667 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -23.4%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Very nicely dark in appearance, two fingers of tan head that fell apart in about one minute, but left little lacing behind.
S. Smells like Hershey's chocolate syrup in there with, with a ghostly faint amount of roasted character hiding behind an odd plastic acridness. Not pleasant.
T. Tastes only a little bit less like Hershey's syrup than you would expect given the nose on it. Strangely alternates between too-sweet and sourness in the finish, I could swear I'm also tasting low levels of some kind of tannin. Needs a lot more roasted malt flavor than it presents.
M. On the thinner side of medium thickness, but texturally not nearly as creamy in body as I would have preferred in a chocolate stout. (729 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -21%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy light brown head. Retention is lacking, but a decent amount of lacing is left.

3.0 S: Light roastiness with cocoa powder. Smells good, but is boring. Lightly tangy.

2.0 T: Lightly roasty, cocoa powder, and cooked vegetables. It's bad, but it's not unthinkably horrid.

2.0 M: Super light body. Carbonation is right. Not creamy at all, just thin.

2.0 D: Again Minhas has disappointed. While this is better than the Imperial Jack, it's still something I'd never like to drink again. (552 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Chocolate Bunny pours an almost black color with a nice long lasting lacing head. There is a mellow cocoa powder aroma. The taste has a very cheap and granny backbone, with rotten corn like flavors, with just the tiniest amount of chocolate. Bad flavors. Overall there really isn't chocolate, and the rotten flavors really make it near undrinkable. (352 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A- Pours a deep dark black. A very thin dark tan head forms upon pouring but almost instantly dissipates leaving behind a thin layer of white lacing in the middle of the beers surface and a ring around the edges of the glass.

S- Smell's very strongly of sweet cocoa chocolate. Has a bit of an alcoholic estheryness to it. There is also a faint sourness to the aroma somewhat reminiscent of red wine. Notes of caramel, bourbon, whiskey mash, and grapes are also present. In the beginning the aroma starts off sweet and ends somewhat sour. This is a very odd smelling stout.

T- Sweet yet bland with a chocolatey taste. Taste's very much like hot cocoa with a sweet start and a somewhat bitter finish. The taste makes it seem very much like flavor was added rather than formed naturally in this beer.

M- Feels very light for the style. very watery much like a dry stout. with light carbonation.

O- This beer was a very big disappointment. I really try hate people who bash beers due to their own particular tastes and so it makes me really uncomfortable when I have so many bad things to say about a beer like this. This is a beer that is dressed up very poorly to be like a stout, but is far from the real deal. However on a lighter note it is very easy to drink and would be sessionable if it came in 12oz bottle or better yet, cans. The price for this beer is very fitting because at 2.95, you really do get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong this beer is definitely enjoyable and much much better than your average American light and adjunct lager, but it is really just not good by average stout standers which is what it needs to be rated by. It really is one of the worst I have had in its style category. IF you hate dark beer but like trying new things then I would suggest you try this beer. (1,844 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -18%

A- Short lived mocha head on a dark brown/black beer. No lacing.

S- Good whiffs reveals an overly sweet chocolate scent...but you gotta get your nose in there deep.

T- Not much of the robust roasty flavor one would expect from a stout. Very small hint of chocolate. Aftertaste akin to acidic vomit D:

M- Medium to medium thin mouthfeel. Almost over-carbonated.

D/O- Had this Minhas offering right after my own stout homebrew and I don't mean to brag but my brew whooped the floor with Chocolate Bunny. That's not sayin' much though. I could go on and on about this stout but I think you get the picture. (607 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As far as this beer goes, it was fine on most accounts other than being a beer. In essence it was carbonated water with a dash of barely and hopes and a hole hell of a lot of cocoa.

Appearance- A nice dark/opaque brown with a nice cocoa colored head, but no lacing.

Smell- The aroma was straight watery chocolate. It lacked any other smell.

Taste- Like mentioned above, it bares little resemblance to a beer and a lot of resemblance to Nesquick. I enjoyed the juvenile taste, but it was hardly the stout I was looking for.

Mouth feel- Like watery slime

Overall- I could see using this beer to convince people that say they don't like beer to open the door for them, but do not see myself drinking it again. (711 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is not good.. It says on the bottle "is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?".. I would argue that neither is the case.. Its a mishmash of off tastes and very thin mouthfeel.. Only saving grace is that its Easter and there's a bunny on the bottle (266 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -13.2%

A - impenetrable black with a thick thumb of mocha head that retained respectably
S - dark chocolate and roasty notes, bit of an artificial fruit syrup aroma, slightly grainy
T - definite big dark chocolate presence, a strong and somewhat overwhelming fruitiness, a strange plastic thing going on, slightly woody finish
M - low carbonation, starts smooth but quickly moves to a prickly tartness, chalky dry finish
O - I commend the 'damn good beer' folks for trying something, but this beer highlights the trouble with try to go from being a cheap piss beer producer to a craft brewer without any in between, this just doesn't work (631 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The Minhas clan's foray into craft brewing, with a bit more effort this time, it would seem. This is made under the auspices of their shell company Rhinelander, but you wouldn't know it from the busy label on this sucker. 650ml bomber, which goes for $3.50 at the modest liquor store next door to my favorite workday donair shop.

This beer pours a solid black, with very slight caramel edges, and a fistful of puffy, foamy, kind of thin beige head, which leaves some decent broken swaths of painted lace around the glass as it settles. It smells fruity, combined with the plastic in which that fruit is sometimes kept, with some mild milk chocolate powder, and nondescript graininess. The taste is more chocolate than anything - the milky, candy bar sort, and some fruitcake-esque tangy character, that needs a validating sourness that it sorely lacks. As for malt and hops (you know, beer...), they are under there somewhere, but not willing to assert themselves for a better ID process. The carbonation is quite sedate, the body medium weight, somewhat creamy, but gritty at the same time - back of the pantry, forgotten chocolate syndrome. It finishes fairly off-dry, the chocolate additives in it for the long haul, aided and abetted by some lingering overripe black fruit.

Well, a better report card than usual, for Minhas and co., but the baby steps being taken here sure feel a lot like they just added chocolate syrup and fruit flavouring to one of their regular offerings. Now I know that's overstating things a tad, but that dead and dying thing character that's been perfected throughout their product line, can't help but pervade this hopeful next generation as well. And to answer the label's cutesy query: there is definitely beer in your chocolate... (1,767 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours mahogany with 4 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, black currant, carob & cola

T: Cocoa & prunes, slight roasty notes up front, along with charred grains. More charred grains as this warms, prunes, cocoa & woody hop notes. Finishes dry, messy, &pruney

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation that flattens out as this warms. Gets real thin

A disjointed stout, not worth buying (426 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured out as a deep black color with a thin tan colored head on top. The lacing and retention were minimal as they both faded away rather quickly. The smell of the beer gives off some light aromas of coffee and chocolate. There is also some roasted malt and a bit of funky yeast on the nose too. The taste of the beer was average at best... It had virtually no depth at all. There was roasted malts and coffee flavors upfront then it dropped off into basically just a tangy aftertaste that was a little confusing to me. The mouthfeel was watery and thin, it had a decent carbonation but really needed more body in order to be a stout in my opinion. Overall from what I had been hearing about Minhas, I expected much worse. This beer although not that good on any level still remained drinkable. Trish (tour guide and bartender) suggested that if the beer wasn't something we enjoyed that we should try adding some of the Cream Soda that Minhas makes. After adding that, this beer actually tasted a bit like a very thin version of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout. It made a difference but still not the greatest beer out there. Glad I got to try it both ways. (1,172 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work. (3,162 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Dark, dark brown with a fluffy mocha tan 2 finger head. Very nice lacing and retention. Looks fantastic.

S- Name suits it well…lots of chocolate notes. Roasted malts and hints of coffee.

T- Once again, the chocolate reference suits it well. Lots of semi sweet chocolate and dark cocoa flavors. Has a nice smoky flavor that fades quickly into an acidified bitter…not of dark chocolate…but of bad coffee.

M- Medium bodied and chewy.

O- This is my first offering from Minhas and I was extremely impressed by the appearance. As the saying goes however, “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” The brew didn't live up to its looks. Has the potential to be a very good offering, but needs some work on improving the artificial chocolate flavors and chemical acidity of a bad coffee. Not the worst Stout, but has some room for improvement. (851 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -5.8%

22oz served into a snifter.

A - Pours very dark brown, almost completely opaque. 1 finger of brown head with average retention and decent lacing.

S - Big chocolate aroma, roasted malts, alcohol comes through with hints of berries and grapes.

T - Follows the nose but the chocolate seems very artificial tasting. Acidic fruit mixes with roasted malt and fruity chemical flavor.

M - Moderate prickly carbonation, medium feel.

This is heavy on the chocolate but the flavor seems artificial and the fruity chemical tartness only worsened as it warmed. $2.99 for a bomber is still not worth it. (595 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +0.7%

One of the special draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary. No mention of the brewery on the menu...

This beer arrived a black liquid with a thin, tan colored head. Foam faded away quickly leaving no lace. Served very cold, so had to let it warm up a bit to coax more flavor out of it. The smell of the beer has the slightest aroma of coffee and chocolate, even as it warmed up the aromas did not get any better.
The taste of the beer was very average, left me wanting more. Some roasted malts but finished a bit acrid. No deep rich stout-like character. Smell, taste, body and mouthfeel were thin and watered down.
Very average when compared to Wild Rose Alberta Crude or St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (both of which they had available at the same time). (763 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +0.7%

22 oz. bottle tried 18 Nov 2011. Courtesy of R&S. Thanks, I think. Served in the 0.5 L Adambrau becker.

Large brown head. Medium carbonation. Clear dark brown in color with reddish highlights. Aroma is sweet chocolate, roasty. Starts fairly sweet and chocolatey. Cocoa through the middle. Medium body, light ethanol. A slightly burnt/charred note lingers in the aftertaste. Kind of one dimensional, not much depth of flavor.

Try to think of this beer as the picture on the label depicts, one of those hollow plasticy chocolate bunnies you got at Easter as a kid, and you won't be disappointed. I preferred to start with eating the eyes so it would stop staring at me. (669 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +1%

P:  Super dark brown non transparent body with thin brown airy head that is fast fading.  A few sluggish bubbles creeping to the top.

S:  Roasted malts, amaretto, soy dauce, roasted nuts, dark chocolate and semi sweet chocolate.

T/M:  Subtle smoked wood, prunes, dates, dark cocoa, hints of creamed coffee, notes of vanilla, bourbon and amaretto.  Body is slightly chunky with spicy carbonation. Finish is semi dry with a timid bitter chocolate presence.  After it starts to warm the aftertaste becomes a tad unpleasant and similar to burnt apple peels.

O:  I was hesitant to try this but at $2.99 I figured it couldn't be too much of a risk. Flavors are all there for a basic stout but nothing really stands out. The fact that it's called "Chocolate Bunny" is somewhat misleading due to the unpronounced chocolate aroma and flavor. Lack luster and somewhat bland. All in all the taste was accurate for the style but is not terrific. For the price I think it's a good choice. Doubt I will get it again but I am glad I grabbed it. (1,045 characters)

A: Pours a dull brown color without minor carbonation
S: Burnt chocolate, asphalt
T: Toasty, tangy, burnt nuts
M: Slight granular feel (cocoa powder?), light body
O: If somebody handed it to me I probably wouldn't refuse but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this beer; a little too burnt and thin for my taste. (312 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +2.7%

650ml bottle poured into pint glass 8/1/12

A pretty dark right out of the bottle with a short lived finger of mocha foam that leaves some random lace

S some fruity chocolate with a little sour milk, smoke and booze

T charred wood and lots of it, some leather and everything else I could smell, there's a little dark roasted coffee and cola on top of what I smell, the char is a little much and there's a sour fruity flavor I don't care for

M thin and foamy with a char aftertaste

O pretty basic stuff that's lacking body for something that looks that dark

worth the 3$ for 650ml that's about it (604 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast