Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011)

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

A: Pours a dull brown color without minor carbonation
S: Burnt chocolate, asphalt
T: Toasty, tangy, burnt nuts
M: Slight granular feel (cocoa powder?), light body
O: If somebody handed it to me I probably wouldn't refuse but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this beer; a little too burnt and thin for my taste.

2.13/5  rDev -30.6%

A: Pours with 3 fingers of bubbly tan head over a dark brown body. Head recedes slowly.

S: Slight cocoa and burnt.

T: The first sip was "woody". I got very little stout or chocolate flavor. It was surprising - not happy birthday surprise - like you have an STD surprise. The second sip was improved slightly - but still not enjoyable. I went for a third...

M: Very light and frothy feeling. Not a good mouth feel.

O: Between the taste and mouthfeel I just couldn't get into this one. I have to admit it is the first beer I didn't finish. (I only had a single bottle - I leave open the possibility that I got a bad one). I am not going to get another and find out.

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

2.75/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

1.98/5  rDev -35.5%

I've had a couple different chocolate stouts, and this one has easily been my least favorite. It was on sale at the craft beer store I usually go to so I thought I'd give it a try, but I can now see why it was so cheap for a 22-ounce bottle.

Appearance - Looked decent enough. Really dark with a nice dark tan head on it. Head dissipated really quickly though, and there was zero lacing, so after about 5 minutes the appearance wasn't particularly great either.

Smell - I got a lot more of hops in the aroma than I did in the beer itself. You can pick up a lot on the chocolate and it doesn't smell like particularly good chocolate.

Taste - Just not good. The chocolate is overpowering and like I mentioned before, it's not even a good chocolate flavor. A lot of nice, rich dark chocolate would be one thing, but this feels like they just dumped a lot of Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix into the kettle.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly thin for a stout. Very little carbonation, honestly a little flat feeling. It's possible I got a bad bottle (there wasn't a bottle date) but I'm not gonna risk it by buying more.

2.25/5  rDev -26.7%